TSV(R) Preview
67 Members and 15803 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Good jewelry hiding places

Started 1267542666 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1267685973 by Sleepy Catz
You hear it time and time again. Someone goes on a trip to come home and find all their jewelry gone. Since this is an anonymous board, would you mind divulging where you put your treasured pieces when you leave home for extended periods. I have never bought a nice leave-out jewelry box for this reason. Pieces are scattered in various drawers, but I know I am still vulnerable to theft.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
Melly12312675428602547 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008
You can but a Trick can of soda and put them in your firdge. You could put them inside your drop ceiling. You could bury them in the root cellar.
Or you could do what I do... rent a safe deposit box.;-)

claudia__a­nne126754302412395 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010
Get a diversion safe.
I have a head lettuce safe that I store in the fridge.
They sell pop cans, food boxes, household item cans, etc.
You can find some here:
http://www.diversionsafesonline.com/
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=diversion+safe&x=0&y=0

kittyloo1267545948779 PostsRegistered 12/22/2004
i think it depends on how much stuff you want to hide. BTW i hear that the fridge and freezer is the first place they look. How about in a box of tampons under the sink. Do you have a crawlspace in a closet? sometimes they are in the celing. Back behind the washing machine? Try to be inventive.

Qgirl12675465754167 PostsRegistered 4/20/2005
How about a clean litter box? Who would think of looking in there?

depglass126754772223655 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006
So far I'm liking the litterbox idea. Bet they wouldn't notice I don't have a cat. Yes, I have a safe deposit box, but I'm talking about all that QVC stuff that isn't worth much individually, but add it up and its a pretty substantial sum. I have tried the freezer thing, I thought I invented that idea until I read about several people that have lost stuff that way.
--
Edited by depglass at 03/02/2010 7:36 AM PST

Last edited on 3/2/2010

starsdanci­ng12675515082088 PostsRegistered 3/8/2006
A co-worker's neighborhood was robbed during the day. The crooks emptied everything in the fridge and freezer onto the floor. They dumped all the canisters and ripped open all the boxed food. They tossed the linen closets including all the folded towels and sheets. They ripped out all the clothes in closets and checked pockets, etc. They were professional thiefs and were in and out in record time. They even robbed one home while the family was out back mowing their lawn. The police officers said that professional crooks can tell the difference between fake pop cans, shaving cans, etc.

Elvis1267552059665 PostsRegistered 4/24/2006Home of the Boston Red Sox
They just had an article in our city newspaper that listed the best places to hide jewely and money in your home. I thought it was nice of them to let us and the thieves know where to hide/find things but a couple of things sounded like a good idea.
If you have children, hide somewhere in the children's room since normally that is the last room they search.
If you have a gun safe, (since many of these are way too heavy to be moved without equipment) use that and if you have a small personal safe, bolt it to the floor. They said a big "no" to the in the fridge safes since crooks are wise to them.
I am glad you brought this up since I keep meaning to move my stuff downstairs to my DH's gun safe.
--
member since 2004
missing 2000+ posts

TallTex1267552301272 PostsRegistered 4/1/2006Texas
I use the dirty clothes hamper for my extra sentimental jewelry pieces when the house is unattended for a long time. The jewelry doesn't smell any different (ha ha ha). Naturally I leave visible enough regular Q jewelry to satisfy a casual thief.
My son said quickie crooks always search back of closets and high hiding places first. Guess people think if the hiding place is difficult to get to, no one will find it. Pro crooks know all the tricks.

JJ247126755258537 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
bottom of the dirty clothes basket.

DebbieDD12675525938109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004
I like the books with the cutout middle.
--
Deb

Sammycat112675526239548 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005
The good stuff=safe deposit box at the bank
The rest=no special precautions. It's covered under a rider on our insurance. Why turn the house upside down, when, as one poster said, professional thieves are way ahead of the rest of us and are going to find it.
--
Edited by Sammycat1 at 03/02/2010 8:58 AM PST

Last edited on 3/2/2010

neenerbeen­er12675526413562 PostsRegistered 9/14/2007Western NY
How about in a box under your dresser?

twocent126755278610004 PostsRegistered 1/5/2008
The way ours are designed ~ in our cold air return vents.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. :(

esmeraldag­ooch126755339511878 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?
Bank safety deposit box.... If your house is burned up , they are safe.
--
EZZY

People are meant to be loved and things are designed to be used. The problem today is, things are being loved and people are being used. Lets change that.... G.Beck

ennui126755387319957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007
> The good stuff=safe deposit box at the bank
>
> The rest=no special precautions. It's covered under
> a rider on our insurance.
Ditto.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Clover29126755528810331 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008
My home was broken into, about fifteen years ago, and they didn't take any jewelry.
They took the old TV, the VCR, the "ghetto blaster" and a little $5 radio. They dropped the toaster in the hallway, presumably when the senior robber saw the junior robber collecting junk that wasn't worth their while.
From the way they wrecked the bed, I think they were looking for cash under the mattress (they found none).
I don't know why they weren't interested in my jewelry. I was kind of offended by that - while still having all the normal feelings of violation etc that all home invasion victims feel. I wouldn't wish the experience on anyone.

namealread­ytaken12675565317676 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
> A co-worker's neighborhood was robbed during the day.
> The crooks emptied everything in the fridge and
> freezer onto the floor. They dumped all the canisters
> and ripped open all the boxed food. They tossed the
> linen closets including all the folded towels and
> sheets. They ripped out all the clothes in closets
> and checked pockets, etc. They were professional
> thiefs and were in and out in record time. They even
> robbed one home while the family was out back mowing
> their lawn. The police officers said that
> professional crooks can tell the difference between
> fake pop cans, shaving cans, etc.
Something similar happened to me. I almost walked in on them but when I saw my dogs were in the foyer, who were supposed to be in the dog run because I was decorating the Christmas tree and had just run out for an extension cord and on my return, I put the key in the door and heard the dogs barking. Instead of going in I went next door to get my neighbor. She told me her husband was in the shower but had been out in the backyard at the dog run talking to my dogs 10 minutes before and she could not believe they were in the house. !0 minutes or less and I was emptied out in daytime and almost walked in on the thieves. I suppose they had lured the dogs some way, probably fed them something they liked and brought them inside so they would not be barking and making trouble.

Elaine12675566631570 PostsRegistered 11/4/2004Near Pittsburgh
My triple dresser has a false bottom in the middle section. It's not noticeable just looking at it. I use that if I'm going to be away.

Go Steelers!

Iwantcoffee12675580452646 PostsRegistered 11/28/2006
Safe deposit box at the bank.

tdog12675586952241 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007
This only works if your garage is a mess. I have lots of boxes in it, and I pack up my jewelry and put it in a box, and mix it in with all the others, and I figure no one is going to go through all the junk in my garage looking for valuables. So far so good. Timely tips, though, cause I'm leaving for a 2 week vacation next week!

DMQJUNKIE1267558815136 PostsRegistered 4/26/2009
I've got some nice jewelry and then I have alot of DMQ and Absolute too, but I don't wont anyone taking it either...
but me and my husband have a room that was built fire proof that's a safe room with steal door that no one can get in without the keys even if they try to come in from the outside of our house by cutting through to the inside... they wont get in. I always put all my jewelry and expensive handbags in there. :-D

scotttie126755924035552 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006
> This only works if your garage is a mess. I have lots
> of boxes in it, and I pack up my jewelry and put it
> in a box, and mix it in with all the others, and I
> figure no one is going to go through all the junk in
> my garage looking for valuables. So far so good.
> Timely tips, though, cause I'm leaving for a 2 week
> vacation next week!
Ha ha! tdog, I used to do that too until one time I couldn't find it either LOL!
My mom used to put hers under the plastic bag trash can liner in the wastepaper basket in her bedroom....until she forgot and threw away a valuable ring.
I have a friend who puts hers under the cat litter...I thought that was clever.
Of course for extended periods the safe deposit box is best but the problem for me is that if I want to wear things I don't
want to go to the bank to get it. So that would only be practical if you were going to be gone a long time or if you have enough good stuff that you switch it out.
The only stuff I really, really care about are not that valuable but were my moms.

Mrs Doubtfire: 'He was quite fond of the drink. It was the drink that killed him.'
Miranda: 'How awful. He was an alcoholic?'
Mrs Doubtfire: 'No, he was hit by a Guinness truck.'

Please could somebody roll a 5 or an 8?

Stay Golden1267560566167 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007NJ
The pockets of an old coat or jacket hanging in a closet. Put the jewelry in baggies and place in the pockets of the most beat up coat you have. A friend of mine does this. She was robbed, they didn't find her jewelry.
Of course if you have a ton of very valuable stuff, a safe deposit box is best.

BonnieBelle126756062719259 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007
I rather have my stuff out in my jewelry box so I can wear it.

doxiemom 4126756075727472 PostsRegistered 12/30/2008NJ-FL
Another great place is in the hem of drapes........
--
Also known as Snooty Dippin Dunkin

Holly Noel 7/11/97 1/22/11 RIP My Sweet Angel
Annie Oakley 12/7/00 - 8/26/12, Another Angel.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next