Holidays at Home
104 Members and 11663 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Toxic Metals in Cheap Made In China Jewelry

Started 1263363751 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1263669338 by CaChica
How do we know that all this jewelry that we buy from QVC that is made in CHINA is safe?

Page 1 of 1
CaChica12634126505895 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006
We don't. There was something in the news a couple days ago about substituting one metal for another that was even worse than the one they were replacing. They were specifically targeting children's jewelry but did they even look at adult costume jewelry or even what is put in fine jewelry to make up the unidentified percentages of 14 and 18k etc.?

esmeraldag­ooch126341740212048 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?
sparklingrivers. I too am concerned with products made there. I quit going to the dollar store when the conterfit toothpaste scandal came to the national news. Now childrens jewelry. Did you see the article that said much of it went to w-mart and C-lares?
--
EZZY
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't S-c-r-e-w Up The Present.

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

jazjade12634189721214 PostsRegistered 12/16/2004Central Texas
This concerns me as well because I enjoy several costume jewelry pieces.
They have replaced the lead with cadmium which is worse, at least for children is what they are saying now.
Im afaid all costume jewelry may be next. :_|

"One shoe can change your life"-Cinderella

CamilleP12635016483384 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon
I think the big concern in costume jewelry is that kids, esp. the little ones, tend to put such things in their mouths and swallow them. As long as you don't lick, chew on, or swallow your costume jewelry, you're probably quite safe.
When you are talking non-costume jewelry, then the metals that are alloyed into gold and silver are very unlikely to be "heavy" metals, since lead or cadmium would affect the strength and durability of precious metal alloys. I know nickel is used in some white metal alloys, but again, so long as you aren't swallowing your jewelry, no worries.

Sylanne12635184621855 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006
> I think the big concern in costume jewelry is that
> kids, esp. the little ones, tend to put such things
> in their mouths and swallow them. As long as you
> don't lick, chew on, or swallow your costume jewelry,
> you're probably quite safe.
>
> When you are talking non-costume jewelry, then the
> metals that are alloyed into gold and silver are very
> unlikely to be "heavy" metals, since lead or cadmium
> would affect the strength and durability of precious
> metal alloys. I know nickel is used in some white
> metal alloys, but again, so long as you aren't
> swallowing your jewelry, no worries.
Our news program stated that just by WEARING this stuff could cause problems for some people not only children.
They had this Dr. who stated that it is possible for toxic metals to be absorbed through the skin by just wearing something often.
Of course the local news program I was watching used the words COULD, IT IS POSSIBLE, SOME PEOPLE, etc.
However, JMO, another reason to be very careful w/China made items.

chickenbutt126351927123932 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
> How do we know that all this jewelry that we buy from
> QVC that is made in CHINA is safe?
Sparklingrivers, I have been noticing that even a lot of their 14k GOLD jewelry is made in China now. Wow. I'm glad I'm not in the jewelry market anymore.
Really - NOT all 14k (or even 18k) is alike. Each manufacturer has its own 'recipe' for what materials are alloyed in with the gold and they are just not all equal, so the designation (i.e. 14k) doesn't even mean that much anymore.
--
Edited by chickenbutt at 01/14/2010 4:35 PM PST

Last edited on 1/14/2010

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

princess6212635269191616 PostsRegistered 2/27/2007Pacific Northwest
There do not seem to be any ethics when it comes to manufacturers in that country. How stupid do they think we are? And how do they get their hands on all this toxic stuff?

hopi126352718210868 PostsRegistered 11/26/2006
> How do we know that all this jewelry that we buy from
> QVC that is made in CHINA is safe?
sparkling, so many of Q's items are from China that it is scary to thing what we have loaded our homes with
During the late 80's, there was a hugh issue with lead in Clossinne jewelry
and I am guessing there still is lead in it today

Margui62212635300901 PostsRegistered 1/14/2010
I didn't know about this issue. I only bought one item from the Q, a lovely pair of sterling silver earrings, but they were made in Thailand. I will choose my items very carefully and I won't buy it if is made in China. Thank you for the advice.:-)

annti126363135975 PostsRegistered 12/15/2007
Strange coincidence - I noticed tonight that the Isaac Mizrahi necklace and bracelet I ordered are from China, and QVC clearly points that out. Take a look at item J145388 view 5.

CaChica12636693385895 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006
This topic makes me wonder about all the cheap purse 'jewelry' and hardware (for all ages) that comes from China...

Page 1 of 1