Spring & Summer Beauty
112 Members and 14346 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

"Dyed Corundum" vs. calling the stone a ruby or emerald

Started 1299092413.857 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1299337383.743 by silkgeisha
replies

Watching HSN jewelry clearance shows today. I notice that they have some items that they are selling, and the stone is a dyed corundum - in the colors of red, green or blue. I really like that they are just calling it dyed corundum instead of trying to convince us all that the stone is a ruby, emerald or sapphire!

I guess techincally they can be called ruby emerald or sapphire, because all of those are from the corundum family, but these are opaque stones that don't even come close to having any clarity or quality to call it one of those specific names! Referencing of course Samual Benham - selling lots of this "dyed corundum" on ShopN lately calling them rubies. I think that is just misleading, even when they say it is dyed. Now - there is nothing wrong with these designs or stones - I find many of them very pretty and would buy one at the right price, but lets be honest about what it is. Right?

So kudos to HSN for calling it what it is and not trying to convince us it is something other than what it really is!

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 1
ennui1299094296.20319957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

I agree with you.

Maybe they label it dyed so they can differentiate when they are selling true rubies, emeralds, and sapphires? "These aren't dyed, these are real!" etc.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

stilltamn8r1299095374.90712007 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006So Cal

Well,only a ruby or sapphire is corundum (depending on the color) Emerald is Green Beryl...

manicshopp­er1299096872.6772818 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land
On 3/2/2011 stilltamn8r said:

Well,only a ruby or sapphire is corundum (depending on the color) Emerald is Green Beryl...

Yes that is true, where Beryl is a clear cystal until the impurity chromium is added and thus that crystal becomes an emerald. So this makes SB even more misleading when he dyes something green that is probably a corundum material but yet calls it an emerald, as in this example.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

- Eleanor Roosevelt

stilltamn8r1299097676.70712007 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006So Cal
On 3/2/2011 manicshopper said:
On 3/2/2011 stilltamn8r said:

Yes that is true, where Beryl is a clear cystal until the impurity chromium is added and thus that crystal becomes an emerald. So this makes SB even more misleading when he dyes something green that is probably a corundum material but yet calls it an emerald, as in this example.

Yes,, those can hardly be considered "gem quality" stones though I guess technically they ARE gemstones- although they share the same chemical make-up- say Aluminum Oxide for the ruby, or red corundum- they certainly lack the translucency and optical properties of gem quality stones-

And to lump emerald in with ruby and sapphire simply because he creates the same stone in green- well Emerald being beryl would be more likely to be lumped together with them other beryl stnes like aquamarine, goshenite, morganite and heliodor...

I find it extremely misleading- kind of like calling industrial diamonds "gem quality" stones, just because they are carbon...

Suzzeee1299098570.422331 PostsRegistered 6/15/2007West Coast

I do think they do a good job of disclosing exactly what the stones/metals are - their descriptions online are very good. The Q on the other hand, isn't so good about being descriptive.

NovaStar1299118084.4031323 PostsRegistered 11/9/2010

It is probably CYA from their legal department. As a consumer, I like to know how exactly a stone is treated.

stevieb1299163941.7625354 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

I'm not sure kudos are warrented. Their reputation depends on honesty and dyed is dyed. Just because these gemstones are from the same 'class' as their higher end relatives doesn't necessarily make them precisely the same. Moreover, I'm sure HSN didn't want a ton of these returned, which they would've likely gotten had they tried to pass them off as the absolute real deal!

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice and I should have my head examined...

ownsyjay1299186264.8422 PostsRegistered 5/11/2006

A lot of that kind of thing is out there and has been for a few years now. I just think of it as big, hunky, fun jewelry--it's kind of a kick to have a huge rough-cut sapphire or ruby, even though it's not gem quality. Some of them are rather handsome, as long as you don't expect it to be clear, or valuable, or anything it's not.

I think all the shopping channels have gotten really responsible about disclosing their treatments. Yes, it's probably for liability purposes, but I'm still glad they do it.

silkgeisha1299337383.733413 PostsRegistered 3/1/2011

Techincally opaque or lesser quality corundum stones can be called ruby or sapphire. However you need to remember the word "Dyed" corundum. Fine quality rubies and sapphires are heated or untreated (natural). Also, you can have green corundum but it's not called emerald. You can call it green Sapphire.

Page 1 of 1