TSV(R) Preview
45 Members and 12897 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Does Diamonique really look like diamonds?

Started 1296265243.357 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1296666744.667 by Used2Shop

Just curious if Diamonique really looks like diamonds?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2
NovaStar1296265395.4071323 PostsRegistered 11/9/2010

Not to me. Most folks don't own diamonds as clear as CZ. Plus, the sparkle looks different to me. Not to say I don't own CZ. But not alot. I prefer white (clear) zircon.

PinkyPetun­ia1296265556.494554 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004NJ

Diamonique can pass for real diamonds if the stones are small and set into real gold. Earrings are a safe purchase. I also think the round cut looks the best. QVC used to sell lots of jewelry like this many years ago. Lately, not so much. The larger the stone, the more fake it looks.

Gal1296265908.9531789 PostsRegistered 9/18/2007

Nabru071,

To me, they look even better that some diamonds I've seen! I have two Diamonique braclets, a necklace, plus several rings. They look beautiful with my real diamonds. Several years ago, I was in a very high-end jewelry store and the owner of the store asked about my 3 karot solitare ring. He commented it was one of the most beautiful he had ever seen - not knowing that it was Diamonique. He was amazed when I told him - I probably shouldn't have! This particular ring is georgous - unfortunatley, the "Q" doesn't have this one anymore but it's a knock-out! I personally don't think you can tell the difference between real diamonds/Diamonique - it's that real looking!

jpie1296265973.4331785 PostsRegistered 7/3/2007
On 1/28/2011 PinkyPetunia said:

Diamonique can pass for real diamonds if the stones are small and set into real gold. Earrings are a safe purchase. I also think the round cut looks the best. QVC used to sell lots of jewelry like this many years ago. Lately, not so much. The larger the stone, the more fake it looks.

I agree with the real gold and round cut (plus, if anyone asks you "Is it real?" you can say "yes" (meaning the gold) and not feel guilty. With a diamonique purchase, less (than or right at one carat) is more!

Zaksgrrl1296267631.6279844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark

No, but it's nice enough for faux.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

loveya!1296268374.503140 PostsRegistered 11/12/2010

Does it look real? Well, sometimes. I agree with the previous posts. The smaller stones (under a carat) set in gold look the most authentic. Glad I purchased a few pieces back in the day. They offer very little set in 14K these days and what they do have is very expensive. I would also stay away from marquise cuts. They tend to be cloudy in Diamonique.

I have found that by wearing my Diamonique right alongside my natural diamonds, they look more real. For example, I have a lovely 1.50 carat pave diamond heart pendant that I wear on a 16" triple strand "diamond by the yard" style 14k Diamonique necklace I purchased years ago. I wear the necklace 6 days out of 7. Everyone assumes the whole thing is real, not just the pendant. Same story when I wear my Diamonique eternity bands with my rings that are set with natural stones. HTH!

Last edited on 1/28/2011

Last edited on 1/28/2011

Desi1296268784.09714131 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007Ma

It's a close simulant. There are differences, so if you know what to look for (and get close) you can usually tell. I'm not sure most people would know which they were looking at.

CZ's are whiter, more see-through, no inclusions, double refractive (diamonds are single), and the facets look glassier to me. That being said, if you put one next to a very good diamond, it's still looks pretty close.

Desi

CalmInTheH­eart1296269037.3777277 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

Not at all, IMO. I think it looks like flat glass compared to moissanite or diamonds. CZ just doesn't have the sparkle/shine/brilliance that a diamond or moissanite has. I can spot a cz a mile away.

Peace

panz1296270009.6533387 PostsRegistered 9/18/2006Maui, HI

I inadvertantly mixed up my stud earrings and had to take them to a jeweler who had to use that little gizmo to figure out which were the real diamonds!

I only buy DMQ in smaller stones also, but to say that DMQ doesn't look like the real thing is ridiculous and I doubt in a random "taste test" the average person would never be able to tell the difference.

I have a beautiful real bracelet that was custom made from a 3ct tennis bracelet (that I kept breaking). I almost never wear it because I'm afraid I'll lose it! Instead, I wear a 14k DMQ bezel set tennis bracelet that I bought on QVC years ago. It's absolutely gorgeous - I almost think of it as real at this point - and the best part is if I do lose it, I'm not out a couple thousand dollars!

Kathleen1296270106.51713131 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

Mine have been mistaken for diamonds on many occasions.

Quills1296270227.243122 PostsRegistered 8/25/2007Ohio

imo-no.

VioletEyes1296270231.2413180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009

In a word, NO.

SpaGal1296270459.5833112 PostsRegistered 6/5/2010

Some look better than others, IMHO. I have 1 pr of dmq epiphany huggie hoops that look perfectly real. I have other pieces that even though they are "sized right" (ie I would look odd with a 2ct solitaire) just look like nice fakes. I have something in all the metals. If you see something you particularily like, try it and return if you don't think it's right for you. I don't think the single stone studs shine like real, though.

kat_lvr1296271181.147620 PostsRegistered 4/20/2010
IMO, DMQ doesn't have the steely look of real diamonds, if that makes sense. They have more of a rainbow light sitting on the stones, not in the stones. It's hard to explain but I noticed this with a watch while sitting in the bright sun one day and was a little embarrassed by it. Even the colored DMQ have the rainbow look.

ditzy dori1296276732.947246 PostsRegistered 1/21/2008la la land

I agree with the smaller stones looking more believeable. When I wear my diamonique rings, people always assume that they are real diamonds. Some look better than others. Some look like glass and others look real to me. Either way, they are fun to wear.

This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

twocent1296276819.57710143 PostsRegistered 1/5/2008

Not much help here, as some of it does~~ BUT I have seen pieces that screamed "fake !"

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. :(

lavenderju­nkie1296312842.4613080 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Simply put yes. DMQ looks like real diamonds.

But there are lots of factors that make it look more or less like real. These include the size of the stones, the quality of the setting, the cut of the stones, and the cleanliness of the stones. And these factors affect both the DMQ and the diamond you are comparing it to.

A trainer jeweler can tell a real diamond from a simulant with a loupe, but not necessarily by eye. I was wearing a 3 stone emerald cut DMQ ring when I visited with a very high end diamond merchant. He loved the design of the ring and the stones. Only when I took it off, at his request, did he know it wasn't the real deal... how... the setting had too much metal holding each stone. Diamonds wouldn't have been set this way. But the point is, even for emerald cut stone, it wasn't easy for someone knowledgeable to know the difference at a casual glance. Of course he would have figured it out when he studies the stones up close or louped them. But on my hand, it was a great fake!

Of course, most people aren't used to seeing very good diamonds, so if they see a very clear sparkly DMQ it doesn't look like the diamonds they are familiar with. Sad, but true. Lots of people prefer the warmer color of Moissanite... but that is not what a fine diamond looks like. It may be beautiful, but a fine diamond doesn't have body color.

Don't under estimate the size factor. If your "crowd" wears small diamonds and you show up with a high carat ring... either single stone or cluster... no one will think it's real. But if you live in an area where the typical diamond engagement ring is 1.5 - 3 cts, and studs worn every day are often 2cts per ear, then a 3 ct DMQ solitare looks very much like a diamond. And if you wear the same DMQ every day, people will assume it's real.

Everything else aside, small round stones look the most real. Earrings under 1ct per year, rings with stones that are less than 5pts each in a cluster or band design, total carat weights that arent' too high. It's a combination of the fact that more people can afford lower carat weights in the real thing, so it's more believeable, and also the fact that smaller stones just look more real in the way that they handle the light.

battyoldbr­oad1296313009.81206 PostsRegistered 6/19/2010

I think the Diamonique of 'years ago' have a more 'real' look than some of the newer stuff. Don't know why, but my older pieces have a flash and sparkle that STILL over the years look fabulous and most people think are real diamonds. The few I've purchased in the last couple of years end up looking - well - not so real.

fluffy21296314181.0974464 PostsRegistered 8/29/2009SPB.RUS >>>Beautiful So.California
On 1/28/2011 CalmInTheHeart said:

Not at all, IMO. I think it looks like flat glass compared to moissanite or diamonds. CZ just doesn't have the sparkle/shine/brilliance that a diamond or moissanite has. I can spot a cz a mile away.

mee too.

autumnfaire1296314620.8234955 PostsRegistered 8/1/2005
On 1/29/2011 foxy21 said:

I think the Diamonique of 'years ago' have a more 'real' look than some of the newer stuff. Don't know why, but my older pieces have a flash and sparkle that STILL over the years look fabulous and most people think are real diamonds. The few I've purchased in the last couple of years end up looking - well - not so real.

I agree--while I have some very nice newer pieces--my older pieces are better. I think the 100 facet looks nicer, also.

itslikeher­dingcats1296330672.434039 PostsRegistered 9/20/2010

It depends on the setting and the size. Most of us can't afford genuine diamonds of the E-F VS or VSS quality and even if we could, why spend that kind of money that is not really rare and you can see in Diamonique?

I have a beautiful line bracelet I bought from the Q years ago and a couple of earrings plus a ring that everyone thinks is real and I don't tell them otherwise.

chickenbutt1296330944.66724215 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I agree with the others - it looks like clear glass...not anything like diamonds. BUT, if you have a piece (like an eternity band type of item) with VERY small stones they will pass.

I can't speak to the DQ of these days, as I hear it is not as good quality as it used to be and I hear it goes cloudy pretty quickly. The old stuff, while it didn't look like diamonds either, held up really well.

I had a number of pieces years ago and sold them all on ebay except one piece I've kept. It is a 14k gold channel-set eternity band ring. It is lovely, but that is because the stones are tiny. I've probably had it for close to 10 years. I wear it with my engagement ring which has a large solitaire diamond, so they work well together.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

lboone1296349101.171141 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007Winterville, GA
On 1/29/2011 foxy21 said:

I so agree! I recently found my long lost 2ctw diamonique stud earrings that have 14kt gold settings. They look SO GOOD and the settings are substantial, just like you would see in a real diamond. My more recent ones that I had bought to replace these don't look nearly as good. The settings are lighter, not flimsy but getting there, and the diamonique doesn't look the same. It looks flatter, if that makes sense.

I think the smaller diamonique passes more easily for real. For myself, I think I can tell many times when something is CZ, not just diamonique.

But if it gives you the look you want at a price you can afford, who cares? I don't think most people would know. You have to remember all of us here know what diamonique is, vs. a diamond, and care. I don't think the average "non-jewelry" lover would give it a second thought {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Lisa

"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography and the dancers hit each other." -Jack Handey

Pat221296354912.494471 PostsRegistered 2/23/2005

I pretty much have to agree with the other ladies. I think katrinak put it well.....I understand just what you mean about the "steely" look of diamonds vs the more glassy appearance of dmq. Actually a perfect diamond would probably look more like dmq due to the clarity, etc. but they are so rare; few people have them. I have some dmq pieces I really like....but I don't have much. I agree about the small stones looking more realistic. What I am thrilled about are the micropave dmq stones used in the Hidalgo rings. I longed for a Hidalgo stack ring way before I ever heard of QVC. I tried them on but just couldn't afford them. This enamel and the micropave of the dmq look so very much like the very expensive line of Hidalgo. I have a cobalt blue fleur de lis ring, 2 clear micropave stack rings and a black hearts and flowers enamel ring. That's all I need. I feel like I'm wearing the real thing. The micropave looks like the diamonds in the rings in the jewelry store. I also have a few pieces of the 100 facet in studs and a ring, some small eternity bands and my favorite is HSN's emerald cut ring. Unfortunately it's too darn much now as it is set in real gold but the gold is so thin, I worry about it breaking.....so wear it stacked with real gold bands and an eternity ring. I did go into a jeweler once who had the identical style stack ring (it was sapphire and diamonds) and he thought I'd bought it from him and asked when did I? Who was taking care of the store when I bought it? I told him they were cz's and he put them side by side and they were very close! I think if you get small cz's, it is hard to tell the difference.

What I love are small white sapphires. I got a pair of earrings from QVC that was a cluster of small white sapphires...very small...and they really do look real! I wear them when I wear a few of Ann King's pieces with the gold flowers and the tiny clear sapphires in the middle of the stone.....it's got that "steely" look that katrinak mentioned.

nabru0711296357683.303200 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007

Thanks for the replies/imput :)

Last edited on 1/29/2011

Last edited on 1/29/2011

Page 1 of 2