Just-Reduced Clearance
109 Members and 16850 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Jacqueline Kennedy Collection....

Started 1293473356.263 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1296085870.273 by Margo Channing

I think this collection is very pretty, and would like to start collecting some pieces. Could I have some opinions on this line? Thanks.....

Page 1 of 2
Margo Chan­ning1293475037.5213487 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007

Well, I have two items from this line--the three strand pearl necklace in the 18 inch length--absolutly exquisite and the Chanel paper-clip necklace which is a fun necklace. Oh, and I just ordered the "kunzite" ring because it was on easy pay--we'll see how it looks when it gets here.....

It's not the typing, it's arthritis.
NO-ONE puts Leisle in the corner
#BRING OUR GIRLS HOME

motherinlaw1293475089.8576166 PostsRegistered 4/22/2007

Since I own several pieces from this collection, I can honestly say it is very finely done. Truly classic designs. Presentation is always superb. Nice weighty jewelry...have had no problems and only lovely times wearing it.

Recommended for sure.

crdlb1293475142.42713190 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

I have several of the brooches and really enjoy them. If you like to wear brooches, there are some really fun ones, as well as elegant. I get many compliments on them.

Anniecamp1293480340.4773817 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have many pieces of it and like it very much. Just pick what interests you. The only piece I sent back was the wedding bracelet with the pearls (bangle type). It was $100 and looked very cheap! That was probably about 10 years ago when it was sold on another shopping network.

colson1293480566.2977438 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast

I think it depends on the piece and if you like the color of gold, etc. I have kept some pins, and returned some others due to some setting issues. Fun to watch the shows though.

dvf1293480699.2772 PostsRegistered 7/29/2009

The jewelry looks like nice costume jewelry. I have the three strand pearls from KJL, as did Mrs. Onasis, and this offering looks very much the same. The gentleman presenting the items, is loaded with misinformation. I find it very offensive and disrespectful to the dead to misrepresent them on a shopping channel. The late Mrs. Onasis I am sure would be anything but flattered. This gentleman reminds me of a snake oil salesman.

Diamonds221293482946.0771859 PostsRegistered 6/1/2007
On 12/27/2010 dvf said:

The jewelry looks like nice costume jewelry. I have the three strand pearls from KJL, as did Mrs. Onasis, and this offering looks very much the same. The gentleman presenting the items, is loaded with misinformation. I find it very offensive and disrespectful to the dead to misrepresent them on a shopping channel. The late Mrs. Onasis I am sure would be anything but flattered. This gentleman reminds me of a snake oil salesman.

I disagree with your statement about misinformation. His stories are very real but sometimes a statement might seem misleading but he is an historian for the family so his statements would be more truth than fiction.

Sammiecat1293483917.827220 PostsRegistered 1/9/2010

I bought a few pieces when it was on another shopping channel----probably HSN. They all seemed to be very crudely made. The bracelet I bought for my sister broke right away. Too bad---it was rather pretty. The only piece I kept was a Russian cross that is very nice.

I was surprised that her heirs or whoever makes those decisions would allow her pieces to be copied unless they were of the finest workmanship. I doubt that she would be pleased.

Barbara in­ Virginia1293484012.0577880 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

Here we go again with the "snake oil salesman" attempt to stir the pot! If Mr. Katz is good enough for the Kennedy family, he is good enough for me. I have several pieces: the 18" triple strand pears; the pearl earrings Caroline wore at her wedding; a beautiful cross given her by the president of Italy; the Scarecrow Pin; and the paperclip necklace. They are all very well made and I enjoy wearing them. I write down the stories that are told about the pieces and keep the card in each box.

crdlb1293489785.07713190 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.
On 12/27/2010 Diamonds22 said:
On 12/27/2010 dvf said:

I disagree with your statement about misinformation. His stories are very real but sometimes a statement might seem misleading but he is an historian for the family so his statements would be more truth than fiction.

He has definitely made some historical errors. He said one time that Michele Obama was the most highly educated First Lady since JBK. Clearly, Hillary Clinton was more highly educated than JBK.

adelle381293491294.3379782 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007
On 12/27/2010 crdlb said:
On 12/27/2010 Diamonds22 said:
On 12/27/2010 dvf said:

He has definitely made some historical errors. He said one time that Michele Obama was the most highly educated First Lady since JBK. Clearly, Hillary Clinton was more highly educated than JBK.

Both Mrs. Obama and Secretary Clinton have law degrees from Harvard and Yale, respectively, so they were both more highly educated than Jackie.

Last edited on 12/27/2010

"Fear always springs from ignorance."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Barbara in­ Virginia1293491679.897880 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

I think that JBK was the most highly educated First Lady of her time. I don't think any other First Lady is/has been able to speak several languages fluently.

DebbieDD1293492450.7138109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004
On 12/27/2010 dvf said:

I have the 3 strand pearls (incidentally, MUCH nicer than KJL and I love his stuff) and the pearl set of 2 pins (just beautiful). I too feel that the salesman provides some misinformation but I honestly do not care. I bought the pieces because I wanted them and not because they had any sort of history connected to Jackie.

I don't think speaking many languages makes one necessarily more educated per se, but that's just my opinion. I speak 3 fluently because I happen to pick up languages rather easily. Not much to do with education at all.

suzan1293493737.807145 PostsRegistered 7/27/2006Minnesota

I think they are misleading. I bought 2 "new" pieces today because Mr. Katz and MaryBeth talked about sterling silver and 18K gold covered. As it turns out, the bracelet is silver tone, not sterling and the necklace is goldtone. I cancelled the Bali bracelet and will keep the order for the lion head necklace. But it was very misleading.

blahblahva­mpemerblah1293507690.3736250 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/27/2010 dvf said:

The gentleman presenting the items, is loaded with misinformation. I find it very offensive and disrespectful to the dead to misrepresent them on a shopping channel. The late Mrs. Onasis I am sure would be anything but flattered. This gentleman reminds me of a snake oil salesman.

Please keep in mind that he's working with the family, and when they said no more crosses, they sold only what was in inventory or in production.

When it comes to his stories in general, and not about sterling vs. plated and such, I wonder if any of them ever realize how seriously unflattering they are. Jackie was mercenary and greedy, it was why she married Ari to begin with, but the stories about a lot of the pieces make her appear even worse. He'd have to get her another piece of jewelry because she kept the Christmas gift he showed her early? OUCH. She won't wear a ring until she has earrings to match? Double ouch!

To those that think I'm overly harsh, I suggest doing some digging about the legal fights she got into with Ari and Christina. Class wasn't the woman's middle name.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

crdlb1293508030.41713190 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.
On 12/27/2010 Barbara in Virginia said:

I think that JBK was the most highly educated First Lady of her time. I don't think any other First Lady is/has been able to speak several languages fluently.

I agree that she was well educated. My point was only that Philip Katz makes mistakes in his presentations which do not even require the Google to discover. It makes me suspicious about the accuracy of any of his information if he makes glaring errors like that.

DebbieDD1293509598.898109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004
On 12/27/2010 blahblahvampemerblah said:
On 12/27/2010 dvf said:

The gentleman presenting the items, is loaded with misinformation. I find it very offensive and disrespectful to the dead to misrepresent them on a shopping channel. The late Mrs. Onasis I am sure would be anything but flattered. This gentleman reminds me of a snake oil salesman.

Please keep in mind that he's working with the family, and when they said no more crosses, they sold only what was in inventory or in production.

When it comes to his stories in general, and not about sterling vs. plated and such, I wonder if any of them ever realize how seriously unflattering they are. Jackie was mercenary and greedy, it was why she married Ari to begin with, but the stories about a lot of the pieces make her appear even worse. He'd have to get her another piece of jewelry because she kept the Christmas gift he showed her early? OUCH. She won't wear a ring until she has earrings to match? Double ouch!

To those that think I'm overly harsh, I suggest doing some digging about the legal fights she got into with Ari and Christina. Class wasn't the woman's middle name.

You are absolutely right! Her crass behavior is rather well documented. I think those enamored with the whole camelot period refuse to believe it, but...

readytogiv­eup1293571922.02797 PostsRegistered 12/2/2010

I loved the story he told about the pink kunzite ring.. how sad that JFK was tragicaly unable to give it to JBK before he was murdered. The story just sends chills down my spine.

Arley1293572590.643513 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Jackie was and always will be my favorite First Lady!!!! She was one classy lady!!!!

Arley

Margo Chan­ning1293572928.5513487 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007

I "love"Wink the romantic spin Mr. Katz puts on every one of the pieces--I read a couple of bios on Jacqueline and president Kennedy and he was SHAMELESS in his philandering...and you KNOW the jewelery was some sort of payment. I read where Jack didn't even give her an engagement ring---his FATHER actually went to {I believe it was} Tiffany's and had a ring delivered to her.

But anything goes to sell a few more pieces, hmmm?

Last edited on 12/28/2010

It's not the typing, it's arthritis.
NO-ONE puts Leisle in the corner
#BRING OUR GIRLS HOME

namealread­ytaken1293573008.3737778 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
On 12/28/2010 ButterQueen said:

I "love"Wink the romantic spin Mr. Katz puts on every one of the pieces--I read a couple of bios on Jacqueline and president Kennedy and he was SHAMELESS in his philandering...and you KNOW the jewelery was some sort of payment. I read where Jack didn't even give her an engagement ring---his FATHER actually went to {I believe it was} Tiffany's and had a ring delivered to her.

But anything goes to sell a few more pieces, hmmm?

But so was she. She did not just meet Onasis after JFKs death.

namealread­ytaken1293578487.857778 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

JFK's poor sister received a lobotomy for her promiscuity but not the brothers, nor Caroline whose affair with the publisher of the NYT who thought he had bought a senate seat for Caroline through his affair with Caroline and his endorsement of BHO, found that this was not quite enough to have her sit in the seat once held by HRC or the one by Teddy.

ellaphant1293587183.0071613 PostsRegistered 12/13/2010

I own the 3 strand 18" pearl neckace. They

are gorgeous. The rest of the pieces look

like cheaply made costume pieces.

jaburg1293592414.4031017 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I only have one piece, the crystal sunburst pin. It is absolutely gorgeous. I have gotten compliments (from compete strangers even) on it EVERY TIME I have worn it, no kidding.

gigy1293596941.571259 PostsRegistered 1/17/2006

I ordered the leather watch and I hope i like it when it arrives. I too, ordered the 'Wedding Bangle' a few years ago and sent it back thinking it looked cheap for something they charged 100.00 for.

Page 1 of 2