Just-Reduced Clearance
137 Members and 11334 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Which Honora colors are dyed?

Started 1288532936.873 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1288983383.227 by chrystaltree

Does anyone know for certain which are dyed and which are natural? I'm interested in the fireball strand (J152543) but don't want to get the gold or silver if they are dyed. I'd just stick to white in that case.

Page 1 of 2
collector ­girl1288533447.0933111 PostsRegistered 6/30/2008Moreno Valley, Ca

I'm not sure, but I think black and gray are natural. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

lboone1288533882.9371140 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007Winterville, GA

Collector girl might be right, I kind of suspect even the black and the grey are dyed. At least some of the time..... Most of the colors Honora offers are not found naturally (teal, raspberry, kiwi, etc.) They are pretty, but they are dyed.

Golden pearls are found in nature, but not at the prices for Honora as far as I know. I would assume that golden pearls are dyed as well.

I have a LOT of Honora pearls and I have never had any problem with the dye coming off or any other problems.

I also used to have a problem with "dyed" pearls and wouldn't buy them, it seemed "unnatural" to me. Then I stopped to think about how "unnatural" the whole process of culturing pearls is, and the dying ceased to bother me. I have loads of Honora and love it!

I do stick to the colors that are found in nature. I bought some of their teal pearls once, but didn't like the look and returned them.

Lisa

"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography and the dancers hit each other." -Jack Handey

jaguarette1288534137.261631 PostsRegistered 10/19/2007

The reason I ask is because I bought one of the black-gray-white strands, and it seemed to me that they were *all* lacquered with something. I couldn't send them back fast enough. If the color and luster aren't natural, for me it defeats the whole purpose of buying real pearls. I'll just buy good glass costume pearls instead at that point.

lovestotea­ch1288534506.9414520 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Only my hairdresser knows for sure! She is very artistic, goes to "market" and is now using pearl beads in her designs! So, I will ask her. I am curious, too, although I love all of my Honora pearl items, dyed or not! To me, they seem exceptional. I must add: I have not ordered the ringed style.

Loves ~ dancin' & prancin' ~ ♥ ♥ ♥

jaguarette1288534818.9571631 PostsRegistered 10/19/2007
On 10/31/2010 lovestoteach said:

Only my hairdresser knows for sure!

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

happy hous­ewife1288535197.88331308 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I have a set of real pink pearls and I can tell you for sure that the pink pearls from Honora are not the same luster as the natural ones. Also the pearls from Honora are so absolutely perfectly matched that it is hard to believe they are not dyed to make them match. Of course all the fashion colors are dyed, but I don't mind as long as the price reflects that.Personally, I'm not so sure I like the ringed pearls - they just seem like cheap throw aways that he is trying to promote so he can make a few bucks from them. I love the blues in the TSV though.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Mirren1288535681.5031377 PostsRegistered 1/3/2007

Thanks for this thread ladies. I fell hard for the cherry pearls and I just assumed they were dyed. Even so, I like Honora quality and their fashion-forward design, so I don't mind. I had determined to get a strand of the cherry for myself for the December holiday season and darned if they didn't have that featured last night! Early present for me! Guess I'll have to get myself something else when the season approaches - hahahaha! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

jaguarette1288536370.5871631 PostsRegistered 10/19/2007
On 10/31/2010 retiree said:

I have a set of real pink pearls and I can tell you for sure that the pink pearls from Honora are not the same luster as the natural ones. Also the pearls from Honora are so absolutely perfectly matched that it is hard to believe they are not dyed to make them match. Of course all the fashion colors are dyed, but I don't mind as long as the price reflects that.Personally, I'm not so sure I like the ringed pearls - they just seem like cheap throw aways that he is trying to promote so he can make a few bucks from them. I love the blues in the TSV though.

ITA about the ringed pearls. I tried a strand and sent them back. I know they're cheap, but that level of quality is not worth $30 or even $3 to me.

I decided to try the white 18" coin pearl strand here. I just wish Honora disclosed exactly which shades are color-treated. Seems like pretty basic information they ought to provide to the consumer.

lavenderju­nkie1288536683.05712970 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

The best assumption to make is that every color, with the exception of the palest pastels, is dyed. In freshwater the black is always dyed. The only "natural" black pearls are Tihitian. Same is true for browns, greens, gold, silver.

There are some natural fresh water pearls in pale pink, peach, ivory, and white. But in the inexpensive strands the best assumption is that all the pearls are dyed, except maybe the white. Unless it's stated clearly that the colors are natural, assume they are dyed.

That said, these pearls can be fun and beautiful. It's all a matter of price vs. quality. Honora pearls generally have excellent luster. But most of what we are seeing here is ringed or some other form of not round (baroque, etc.) I have Honora strands and like them. The oval pearls are my favorite....beautiful luster, clean skin, nicely shaped.

But when I want "good" pearls, I go to ThePearlOutlet or PearlParadise. They have amazing freshwater strands, akoya, and tihitian. The pearls I have gotten from Tpo and Pp are stunning. Many are natural color, but some aren't. Both sites have complete descriptions so you know what you are buying in terms of color, quality, etc. CS is excellent also. I trusted the ladies on the pearl thread (here on the Jewelry BB) and they were right. Now I have no hesitation buying from either of these places.

Last edited on 10/31/2010

missyw11288536830.00732246 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

To me they look all dyed except the white or off white.

jetts_mom1288536894.572637 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010

The gold and silver colors are dyed/enhanced. Black is also not a naturally occuring color in freshwater pearls.

On Honora's site they have a blog where they talk about the colors in several entries and they have videos as well. According to one post "Freshwater Pearls offer the widest range of naturally occurring colors. You will often find White, Peach, Pink, Plum and Purple pearls side by side in the same mollusk." And then another: "Freshwater mollusks produce a dramatic range of color that includes lavender, pink, plum, purple, cocoa, peach and tangerine shades."

Some internet sites suggest that most colors are enhanced or treated in some way nowadays.

You were born an original - don't die a copy.

jaguarette1288537266.5871631 PostsRegistered 10/19/2007

Yes, PP and TPO are my go-to places for good pearls. And as for "fun" stuff, like I said, I prefer alabaster glass. IMO, good quality faux is better than poor quality real.

I'm just trying to determine which colors of the pricier Honora strands are dyed. For example, J152543 or J149072.

Also, you said the luster on Honora pearls is great. But that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out--is that natural, or is it enhanced even on white, gray or black strands? (And BTW black freshwater pearls do occur naturally.)

jaguarette1288537516.821631 PostsRegistered 10/19/2007
On 10/31/2010 jetts_mom said:

The gold and silver colors are dyed/enhanced. Black is also not a naturally occuring color in freshwater pearls.

On Honora's site they have a blog where they talk about the colors in several entries and they have videos as well. According to one post "Freshwater Pearls offer the widest range of naturally occurring colors. You will often find White, Peach, Pink, Plum and Purple pearls side by side in the same mollusk." And then another: "Freshwater mollusks produce a dramatic range of color that includes lavender, pink, plum, purple, cocoa, peach and tangerine shades."

Some internet sites suggest that most colors are enhanced or treated in some way nowadays.

Thanks for this. So I guess my final question is, are the white Honora coin or baroque strand "enhanced" in some way? From what I've seen, I'm concerned that they are. I think I'll call Honora directly and see if someone with some expertise can explain. CS at QVC never knows anything about their products.

jetts_mom1288540167.192637 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010
On 10/31/2010 jaguarette said:

Also, you said the luster on Honora pearls is great. But that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out--is that natural, or is it enhanced even on white, gray or black strands? (And BTW black freshwater pearls do occur naturally.)

Sorry, I'm not a pearl expert, just a wearer and avid pearl fan! When I made my comment I was just going by what I found on a couple sites when researching natural colors for freshwater pearls. If you do call Honora directly, this might be a great thing to ask, too!

pearl-guide . com:

The Truth About Pearl Color And Black Pearls

One rule of thumb in spotting treated pearls is that if the pearls are not true Tahitian pearls, from the Black Lip Oyster (Pinctada margaritifera), they cannot naturally be black. Naturally black akoya and freshwater pearls do not exist, and if black pearls of this variety are offered for sale, they will always be dyed. Many unwary consumers buy black pearls, only to find later that the natural color grading is false.

jewelerethicsassociation . com:

Chinese freshwater pearls are routinely treated to produce a variety of colors., including black, and care should be taken not to mistake treated freshwater pearls for their much more expensive, naturally colored saltwater counterparts.

suite101 . com:

<h3 class="dynamic">Cultured Freshwater Pearls</h3>

Freshwater pearls are produced by freshwater mussels. These pearls are mostly in China, although some are also grown in Japan and the US.

Freshwater pearls can be found in almost any natural pearl color except black. They are seldom round, but can be found in many other shapes, including button, rice, drop and baroque. They grow for 2 to 7 years and may be 1mm to 16mm in diameter.

<br />

You were born an original - don't die a copy.

Brabls1288540427.91314740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

The bright color remond me of pop beads from when I was a kid. I view them as costume jewelry.

jaguarette1288540763.3131631 PostsRegistered 10/19/2007
On 10/31/2010 jetts_mom said:
On 10/31/2010 jaguarette said:

Sorry, I'm not a pearl expert, just a wearer and avid pearl fan! When I made my comment I was just going by what I found on a couple sites when researching natural colors for freshwater pearls. If you do call Honora directly, this might be a great thing to ask, too!

pearl-guide . com:

The Truth About Pearl Color And Black Pearls

One rule of thumb in spotting treated pearls is that if the pearls are not true Tahitian pearls, from the Black Lip Oyster (Pinctada margaritifera), they cannot naturally be black. Naturally black akoya and freshwater pearls do not exist, and if black pearls of this variety are offered for sale, they will always be dyed. Many unwary consumers buy black pearls, only to find later that the natural color grading is false.

jewelerethicsassociation . com:

Chinese freshwater pearls are routinely treated to produce a variety of colors., including black, and care should be taken not to mistake treated freshwater pearls for their much more expensive, naturally colored saltwater counterparts.

That's true, I guess I'm thinking of the darker grays as black. The black Honora sells is no doubt dyed, based on this.

ibb381288541546.0412248 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I think even the palest palest of Honora shades are dyed- the only ones not dyed are probably the white pearls.

I'm not a ring pearl person- rondel is my favorite of the irregular shaped pearls. But the tuxedo version of the tsv is tempting! But then I think back to the ring pearl illusion neckalce tsv... where people bought multitude of colors to combine. I bought a few shades and returned them- not only did the ring pearl look not thrill me but the dye was also so irregular and blotchy.

fluffy21288541722.214464 PostsRegistered 8/29/2009SPB.RUS >>>Beautiful So.California
On 10/31/2010 ibb38 said:

I think even the palest palest of Honora shades are dyed- the only ones not dyed are probably the white pearls.

I also think so.

NWrocks1288541944.24231 PostsRegistered 10/2/2010

I would assume that the majority of the pearls are dyed.

At this price point, I have no problem with that. I enjoy pearls, but, for me, they're not an everyday item and I certainly don't enjoy them enough to pay the price for the Southsea variety.

I've been very happy with my Honora items, my favorites are the 10mm 14k pearl studs, they're gorgeous and the QVC price is untouchable.

I'm considering the TSV. I don't often wear pearl strands, but, the price is attractive enough that it's very tempting.

jaguarette1288542126.9771631 PostsRegistered 10/19/2007

I went with the white coin strand. I'll call Honora tomorrow to ask if they're also enhanced in some way. The white-black-gray strand I tried certainly seemed to have some sort of lacquer even on the white pearls. If that's the case I'll look elsewhere. The whole point of pearls to me is the amazing natural luster. If that's not what I'm seeing, I'm not interested.

lovestotea­ch1288542929.6914520 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Aren't natural, South-sea pearls literally almost impossible to find?

Loves ~ dancin' & prancin' ~ ♥ ♥ ♥

ibb381288543469.2212248 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't mind enhanced as well- but the ring seemed to make a difference with the dye being uneven and/or blotchy. Some posters who have this necklace mentioned the ring being deeper on some pearls - that's just mother nature. But the dye varied near the ring...

For a couple dollars more I like J142966 better!

depglass1288634183.7123906 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I know nothing about pearls, so I'm going to hold my nose and jump in feet first here. I think they are ALL dyed. The colors are too consistent. I look at Honora as a fashion line, not a quality pearl line. I'm ducking now.

Margo Chan­ning1288643472.9313348 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007

I have to be honest and say they ALL look dyed to me on screen especially the darker colors.

Last edited on 11/1/2010

Last edited on 11/1/2010

It's not the typing, it's arthritis.
NO-ONE puts Leisle in the corner
BRING OUR GIRLS HOME

lavenderju­nkie1288647718.2112970 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

the enhancement has to do with color...dying of the pearls or in the case of the white ones, possibly bleaching.

the luster comes from the pearl itself, the amount of nacre on the pearl. There is no lacquer coating on Honora freshwater pearls.

Some man-made pearls use a solution made of crushed pearls over a mother of pearl bead or glass bead to create the appearance of pearl nacre.

Page 1 of 2