Labor Day Weekend Clearance
145 Members and 10490 Guests Online

In the Garden

Tomato Plant not doing well

Started 1278028349.87 in In the Garden | Last reply 1278080487.657 by Chlemma
replies

I have 4 tomato plants, 3 doing great, lots of tomatoes. All are Bonnie Bell plants. My one heirloom plant is over 6' tall, loads of flowers, but the flowers wither and fall off before tomatoes are formed. It has produced 2 tomatoes near the bottom, but that's it. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 1
Marp1278032409.60313480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC

What has your weather been like? I have been having problems with flowers dropping before opening on some of my tomato plants and I am sure the high temperatures we had been having are primarily to blame.

Over the last week or so I have taken to lightly watering the plants during the hottest part of the day, once they start to wilt, and this has almost stopped the flower drop. I don't think they need water per se but that the water cools the roots and refreshes the plant. I still have a watering routine that I follow as most of my tomato plants are potted or in tomato trees.

A dog chasing his tail eventually bites himself.

debs941278032941.11234 PostsRegistered 6/17/2009NC

Heirloom tomatoes are much more sensitive to heat and will wilt easier. The hybrids have had wilt-resistance bred into them, but to me nothing beats the taste of an heirloom tomato (Brandywine is my favorite). I am in NC, too, and have watched lots of blooms fall off. Makes me sick because I see every fallen bloom as a tomato I'm not going to get! Maybe the change in the weather will help us all.

"My greatest blessings call me Mom"

JustJazzmom1278034910.0927633 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

We are in a drought now and keep watering those tomatoes.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

Big Sis1278036269.097225 PostsRegistered 7/31/2006

I'm having the same problem with my cucumber and squash plants. I know they have male and female blossoms and only one produces fruit ( I assume female). I have tons of blossoms, but very few are female. I've had a few squash begin to form, but then they dry up and fall off. We're watering daily. Am I the only person in the WORLD who can't grow zucchini? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

annabellet­hecat1278037349.07313653 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006

My tomato plants are on their last leg as are many of my flowers. I live in Northern Va and between the heat and humidity and lack of rain, everything is dying.

Marp1278078826.18713480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC
On 7/1/2010 Big Sis said:

I'm having the same problem with my cucumber and squash plants. I know they have male and female blossoms and only one produces fruit ( I assume female). I have tons of blossoms, but very few are female. I've had a few squash begin to form, but then they dry up and fall off. We're watering daily. Am I the only person in the WORLD who can't grow zucchini? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I have found that with some varieties of squash there will be many male flowers well before the females start so what you are experiencing might be normal for your plants. Don't give up and just care for them as though they are producing. I think the ones you see forming, drying and falling are most likely from unpollinated females.

I don't think there is anyone that can grow a zucchini plant that won't get zucchini.

Last edited on 7/2/2010

Last edited on 7/2/2010

A dog chasing his tail eventually bites himself.

Chlemma1278080487.657349 PostsRegistered 6/13/2009

Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, the weather here in Delaware has been awful. In June we had 19 days of 90+ degrees of heat and humidity, so that may be it, and it has been very dry so do water more often. I keep an empty can near the tomatoes to measure how much water they are getting so as not to give them too much or too little. My cucumber plants have been doing very well although now I notice some dead and/or dying leaves. Still lots of blooms and the cukes are delish. If June was so hot, can't imagine what August will be.

Page 1 of 1