Shoes & Handbags Offers
28 Members and 9981 Guests Online

In the Garden

A Question about Roberta's champagne grapefruit tree...

Started 1265246942 in In the Garden | Last reply 1265298058 by gardenman
replies
I live in Oakland,California,close to San Francisco.I have a huge thriving meyer lemon tree in my yard.I know the map states I live in Zone 8 and the tree is for 9-11But I want to plant this tree in the ground in my yard.Will it thrive?
THANKS!

Page 1 of 1
gardenman126524932016821 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey
"Will it thrive?" The only answer I can give you is, maybe. There are microclimates in every yard and chances are a part of your yard (south facing, close to the house) would be zone nineish (maybe zone tenish.) Planted in that type of a spot and given a bit of extra attention when required, it would probably thrive. Different mulches and other planting techniques can also enhance the survive-ability of plants. Something as simple as putting miniature Christmas lights in the tree (the older type, not the new LED lights) can add enough heat on a cold winter night to buy you an extra zone of protection. (You'll often see this done on palm trees in borderline areas.)
--
Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

codywhitney1265251797596 PostsRegistered 6/20/2007California
Thanks for the response! Does the Meyer lemon thrive more ( is it more hardy?)easily that the champagne grapefruit tree in my zone? I also have a satsuma mandarin orange that is doing well too.

gardenman126529805816821 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey
As far as I know (and I don't live in a tropical part of the world, we've got a foot+ of snow coming tomorrow) most citrus are comparable in hardiness. If your lemon and orange trees are doing well, then chances are the grapefruit would also do well.
--
Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Page 1 of 1