Back to School
96 Members and 10855 Guests Online

In the Garden

Yellow "Knockout" roses!!!!

Started 1336490697.057 in In the Garden | Last reply 1339200182.11 by doglover3

Hi ladies!

I purchased one plant from Jackson and Perkins and much to my surprise they shipped them BARE ROOT!!! I thought it was way too late for that.

Anyway....

My husband planted it this morning in the one spot where it will look pretty AND the one spot that seems to get attacked by blackspot and covered with rust. I figure if it can survive this spot, it'll go anywhere. And I love yellow roses. So wish we luck! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Page 1 of 1
pink dogwo­od1336498431.262983 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

My yellow knockout is in full bloom as are my other two - one fuchia pink the other an orangey red. Beautiful blooms!

My hubby is a landscaper and I asked him this past weekend if he has other knockout colors. I want a couple more if he has other colors.

These are so easy to care for. Two of mine are in large pots the other he stuck in the ground. Think about putting your's in a large pot so you can move it around to the best spot in your garden.

Enjoy!

momak1336500959.4231467 PostsRegistered 2/13/2007

I had a nursery owner advise not to purchase what she had because they turned white after a few days of blooming. Are there different varieties of the yellow knockout?

JustJazzmom1336501095.7127272 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

Did you buy 'Sunny Knockout'? Or 'Carefree Sunshine'?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

momak1336501639.9371467 PostsRegistered 2/13/2007

I see that the Sunny Knockout is the one that turns a creamy white after bloom. Thanks for this (I didn't buy).

Miss Lorra­ine1336572792.5736805 PostsRegistered 3/23/2007
On 5/8/2012 JustJazzmom said:

I'm glad you asked; I'll go check the paperwork later today and let you know...and then I'll know {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

ETA: JJM, I looked at the label and my rose is Sunny Knockout. I also found an interesting article about how this flower came to be and about breeding roses in general. Here's a link if you're interested.

http://www.conard-pyle.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/kohome.showpage/pageID/71/index.htm

Last edited on 5/9/2012

Last edited on 5/9/2012

Mmsfoxxie1337535586.9675090 PostsRegistered 6/19/2010

I love all roses, especially yellow ones but unfortunately, in zone 4 they don't always do well. I have one yellow knockout, about 3 pink ones and about 12 red ones. The red ones seem to be the most robust. Wish they had a scent to them.

AnikaBrodie1337544666.38314773 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The state of mountains and valleys

I have a lot of knockout roses in red and pink and they are blooming already. Beautiful. The nursery said it's hard to get yellow in my area so I don't have those yet. I've had extremely good luck with my knockout roses. They have had lovely blooms each year since I got them a few years ago and last year and they bloom repeatedly.

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

JustJazzmom1337545629.93327272 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!
On 5/9/2012 MsLorraine said:
On 5/8/2012 JustJazzmom said:

I'm glad you asked; I'll go check the paperwork later today and let you know...and then I'll know {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

ETA: JJM, I looked at the label and my rose is Sunny Knockout. I also found an interesting article about how this flower came to be and about breeding roses in general. Here's a link if you're interested.

http://www.conard-pyle.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/kohome.showpage/pageID/71/index.htm

Last edited on 5/9/2012

This is the breeder who astonished the Manhattan Botanical Garden lecture attendees (Great Rosarians of the World-- guest speaker) a few years ago by saying the Knockouts can be cut to 12-18" if desired and they will grow back to their 4' height!

Miss Lorra­ine1338308751.3536805 PostsRegistered 3/23/2007

An update:

So far, so good.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} It's growing slowly because we've had some unseasonably cooll, wet weather this spring. I check it often and so far, NO blackspot or any other kind of disease. I got around to feeding it this weekend too.

I also discovered a "regular" type rose coming up where I THOUGHT I had completely dug it out. My philosopy is that if it's trying that hard to come back, it deserves a chance. Well, it looks like I'm either going to have to pull it out AGAIN or learn to live with black spot because the lower leaves are covered in it. I'm inclined to get rid of it because picking off the infected leaves is just too much work and I don't want it to spread the infection.

Any and all comments welcome; I love to talk about gardening.

JustJazzmom1338314069.13327272 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!
On 5/29/2012 MsLorraine said:

An update:

So far, so good.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} It's growing slowly because we've had some unseasonably cooll, wet weather this spring. I check it often and so far, NO blackspot or any other kind of disease. I got around to feeding it this weekend too.

I also discovered a "regular" type rose coming up where I THOUGHT I had completely dug it out. My philosopy is that if it's trying that hard to come back, it deserves a chance. Well, it looks like I'm either going to have to pull it out AGAIN or learn to live with black spot because the lower leaves are covered in it. I'm inclined to get rid of it because picking off the infected leaves is just too much work and I don't want it to spread the infection.

Look at the All America Rose Selection website for current and previous winners. Most of these roses are chosen on their disease resistability. I have 'Easy Does It' which I put in 2 years ago on a whim and its very disease resistant and fragrant in a room. I love the ruffled petals.

This is my rose garden which I am always talking about taken about a week ago on LI. The arbor rose is 'Zepherine Droughin' and the orangey one that looks like its right on top of the arbor is 'Easy Does It'.

The red things along the picket fence on the left of the photo are my 'Port Royale' peonies.

JustJazzmom133831412227272 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

All America Rose Selection Site

pink dogwo­od1338314358.1572983 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

Beautiful roses in your garden Ms Jazzmom!

Perkup1338314880.8076108 PostsRegistered 12/24/2008
On 5/8/2012 momak said:

I had a nursery owner advise not to purchase what she had because they turned white after a few days of blooming. Are there different varieties of the yellow knockout?

This was good advice. We have dozens of knockout rose plants ( DH's favorite type ), and what you were told is absolutely correct. The buds are a lovely yellow. The first day of the bloom he flowers are yellow, but by the second day they turn white. The shape of the bloom is not entirely "rose like" either - more flat, with fewer petals. We like the yellow knockouts, but won't go further with planting them, as they do tend to disappoint. Most of ours are red/pink. I might also mention that they suffer greatly from the heat.

JustJazzmom1338316044.57327272 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

That Sunny Knockout is similar in shape to the original Knockout-- sort of the way a wild rose looks.

Rocker1338317304.521654 PostsRegistered 5/3/2007Nashville, TN

I was so wrong. I thought Knock Outs were disease resistant & was so tough they withstood anything!! I just planted two (don't remember the name) trying to fill two vacant spots in my street garden all the way across our yard.

Wish me good luck !!! I have a lot of things planted out there (would hate a total $ on them!!).

JustJazzmom1338317495.6427272 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!
On 5/29/2012 Rocker said:

I was so wrong. I thought Knock Outs were disease resistant & was so tough they withstood anything!! I just planted two (don't remember the name) trying to fill two vacant spots in my street garden all the way across our yard.

Wish me good luck !!! I have a lot of things planted out there (would hate a total $ on them!!).

They are disease resistant-- I would say on humid LI I do not start seeing ANY blackspot on my Double Knockout until say late September/ early October.

Miss Lorra­ine1338337264.8176805 PostsRegistered 3/23/2007
On 5/29/2012 Perkup said:
On 5/8/2012 momak said:

This was good advice. We have dozens of knockout rose plants ( DH's favorite type ), and what you were told is absolutely correct. The buds are a lovely yellow. The first day of the bloom he flowers are yellow, but by the second day they turn white. The shape of the bloom is not entirely "rose like" either - more flat, with fewer petals. We like the yellow knockouts, but won't go further with planting them, as they do tend to disappoint. Most of ours are red/pink. I might also mention that they suffer greatly from the heat.

Living in the cool, rainy northwest (are we EVER going to have any warm spring weather for more than 2 days in a row?), heat won't be a problem.

I like--love--pink and red roses but yellow is my favorite so even if I get the color for just a day or two, I'll enjoy it immensely. And if this first b*ush grows up to my satisfaction, I'll be tempted to plant a hedge along my white picket fence.

Thanks for all your good advice and comments.

(OMG, the words they won't let you post on this board!)

JustJazzmom1338339485.39327272 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

I like these ones in yellow: Julia Child and Molineux which I have in the pictured rose garden. If you look through the arbor you will see the Molineux shrub. Both are very strong do not fade and are disease resistant. Julia Child is one of the demo rose garden favorites and always gets a vote every year when we vote which rose did the best in the garden that year.

kachina6241338339904.1314760 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
I planted six bare rooted carpet roses a couple weeks ago and they look dead as a door nail. The stems are no longer green, so I guess I might as well pull them out and quit wasting water on them.

blueskies1338347294.336924 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 5/29/2012 JustJazzmom said:

An update:

Look at the All America Rose Selection website for current and previous winners. Most of these roses are chosen on their disease resistability. I have 'Easy Does It' which I put in 2 years ago on a whim and its very disease resistant and fragrant in a room. I love the ruffled petals.

This is my rose garden which I am always talking about taken about a week ago on LI. The arbor rose is 'Zepherine Droughin' and the orangey one that looks like its right on top of the arbor is 'Easy Does It'.

The red things along the picket fence on the left of the photo are my 'Port Royale' peonies.

Hi JUSTJAZZMOM, I think the " Zepherin Drouin" ? Sp. Is a variety they grow in Canada . It's very cold hardy. Yankee Mag. Had an article a few years back, about growing roses in Maine. Another hardy variety re: cold temps is " William Baffin " a deep pink or Red, if I remember correctly.

Opie : " The cage sure looks awfully empty , don't it , Pa ? "
Andy: " Yes, son . It sure does . ( He looks up and smiles . ) But don't the trees seem nice and full ."

JustJazzmom1338349673.0527272 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

'Zepherine Droughin' is an Old Garden rose under the category of Bourbon roses.

From this website:Roses bred by Canada’s Agriculture-Agrafood Department for rugged durability in cold-winer climates. They mainly possess the Rosa kordesii bloodlines. A good example of an Explorer rose is 'William Baffin'.

blueskies1338485503.8536924 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
JUSTJAZZMOM , thanks for the link ; a great website . Saw a variety that does best with less sun....dawn to noon . We have lots of locations with that sun exposure, as we have many trees on the south side .

Opie : " The cage sure looks awfully empty , don't it , Pa ? "
Andy: " Yes, son . It sure does . ( He looks up and smiles . ) But don't the trees seem nice and full ."

doglover31339200182.119462 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 5/29/2012 JustJazzmom said:

An update:

absolutely beautiful, ours look nothing like this. Here is our red one, can't see the pink since it is sort of on the other side and behind a bit.

Page 1 of 1