Better Than Black Friday
124 Members and 17454 Guests Online

In the Garden

ROBERTA'S GARDEN AND COTTAGE FARMS

Started 1326240460.633 in In the Garden | Last reply 1331386156.943 by Mary Bailey

I HAVE ORDERED A LOT OF PLANTS FROM QVC IN THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS. LAST YEAR (2011) I ORDERED A LOT AGAIN. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD SOME TROUBLE WITH THE SMALL POTTED STARTER PLANTS BEING SO SMALL AND SICKLY, BUT LAST YEAR WAS THE VERY WORST. THE PLANTS WERE VERY WELL PACKAGED IN THEIR SHIPPING BOXES. NO COMPLAINTS THERE. BUT THE PLANTS AND THE POTS AND POTTING MEDIUM WERE TERRIBLE. THE POTS ARE TOO SMALL TO HOLD ENOUGH MEDIUM TO LET THE PLANT ROOTS GROW AND FEED THE SMALL STARTER PLANTS. THE MEDIUM ITSELF WAS HORRIBLE LAST YEAR !!!! ALL OF MY NEW PLANTS CAME IN SMALL POTS FILLED WITH SHREDDED WOOD, BARK, PINE NEEDLES AND "ANTS". YES, "ANTS" WHO WERE LIVING IN THE WOOD, BARK AND PINE NEEDLES IN THE POTS. THEY WERE CRAWLING OUT OF THE BOXES AND ALL OVER MY WALK. THERE WASN'T ANY "DIRT" OR "SOIL" IN ANY OF MY MANY POTS OF NEW PLANTS. JUST POTS AND POTS FILLED WITH SHREDDED WOOD, BARK, PINE NEEDLES AND "ANTS".

I'M GOING TO TRY ORDERING PLANTS AGAIN THIS YEAR BECAUSE I LOVE MY PLANTS. BUT, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE --- ROBERTA'S GARDEN AND COTTAGE FARMS --- PLEASE USE JUST A LITTLE BIGGER POT AND PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE USE A DECENT POTTING SOIL. NO MORE SHREDDED WOOD, BARK, PINE NEEDLES AND "ANTS" !!!!!!

Page 1 of 2
JustJazzmom1326241718.57328330 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

There are so many other companies that do mail order without the problems you have mentioned. Look at Garden Watchdog for reputable mail order gardening companies. Just google the words 'Garden Watchdog'.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

Mary Bailey1326242160.2277486 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Bedford Falls in It's A Wonderful Life

I'd never order from them again. I agree with JustJazzmom.

Through the years
We all will be together,
If the Fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
And have yourself A merry little Christmas now.

CSH1326242940.3032334 PostsRegistered 12/5/2009NW PA

Why don't you buy from your local plant place instead of trying again after a most horrible experience?

Play is children's work!

AprilFlowe­rs1326324109.161862 PostsRegistered 8/28/2005
On 1/10/2012 CSH said:

Why don't you buy from your local plant place instead of trying again after a most horrible experience?

I am glad to know about this......Is Robertas just as bad....?

I have found that 2 of my fav nurseries have gone out of business....I cannot believe it.

I see a lot of stuff at Target and Walmart and a lot of my friends get their things there. But I loved my nursery where they knew something. I used to get roses from Jackson and Perkins and NEVER had a problem. Thanks gals for all this info.

I do see different things when I watch the garden shows. That is why I am interested at all. I can't imagine ants.

AprilFlowe­rs1326331414.4431862 PostsRegistered 8/28/2005

BTW...j and p were bought out so they are not the same (2007)

purrmom1326331564.5973400 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

I can't believe they have this sleazy guy on again this year. He just seems very dishonest to me & their customer service is customer "no service."

On the other hand I enjoy watching Philip from Cottage Farms & have learned so much from him. I have had pretty good success with what I've bought from them & the customer service is OK.

Last edited on 1/11/2012

Last edited on 1/11/2012

Litlbitcou­ntry1326331926.93780 PostsRegistered 9/18/2006
I gave up on both these companies years ago after not having any luck at all. I buy from the local nurseries in my area and have had great results.

gypsy21326332445.031913 PostsRegistered 5/24/2010

I bought mini roses from Cottage Farms about three years ago and they are still living and blooming. I also got the daylilies and they are still going strong. Jill was right, you can run over them with the car and they still do well. That has happened here.

Rachelle1326333300.1831293 PostsRegistered 9/30/2007

The only thing that ever really grew for me from Cottage Farms were the 4'oclocks and grow they did{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Its okay though, were they get to crazy, I dig them up and transplant to another area. I am getting my moneys worth for sure.

I ordered many weeping cherry trees and each time the tops came in snapped off and always ended up loaded with ants, none of my other plants from other stores have done this...

I hope they offer the 4 o'clocks again this year.

luvpuppies1326334178.9257 PostsRegistered 12/20/2011

DH wanted something from Roberta's and most of the plants did not make it. Not a good buy and do not like the guys from Roberta's. I like Phillip from Cottage Farms. He is extremely knowledgeable about everything in horticulchure it seems. His flowers, etc. are beautiful and so healthy looking. I feel buying from for instance Cottage Farms is good because they explain and educate us on the many flowers and plants they offer. They are better than the people from local business' who are not half as knowledgeable.

CSH1326373358.912334 PostsRegistered 12/5/2009NW PA
On 1/11/2012 Litlbitcountry said: I gave up on both these companies years ago after not having any luck at all. I buy from the local nurseries in my area and have had great results.

My exact experience too!

Play is children's work!

harv1326375672.757383 PostsRegistered 11/20/2010

Most of the stuff they sale you can find elsewhere at local garden centers or online and most of the time it's cheaper. I saw one of those twisted bamboo plants they said u couldnt find anywhere- at local flea market, some chinese woman was selling them for $10.00. What i dont like about some of QVC growers is they wont send anything to Florida until March or May especially the strawberries & our Strawberries are ready to pick in January- makes no sense to me & if you plant them in early May, they burn up under the florida sun. Plus they wont send any kind of fruit trees here, but we can buy them at the local garden centers & flea markets with no problem.

Last edited on 1/12/2012

Last edited on 1/12/2012

Last edited on 1/12/2012

Primetimep­laya1326376480.253154 PostsRegistered 1/22/2008
On 1/12/2012 harv said:

Most of the stuff they sale you can find elsewhere at local garden centers or online and most of the time it's cheaper. I saw one of those twisted bamboo plants they said u couldnt find anywhere- at local flea market, some chinese woman was selling them for $10.00. What i dont like about some of QVC growers is they wont send anything to Florida until March or May especially the strawberries & our Strawberries are ready to pick in January- makes no sense to me & if you plant them in early May, they burn up under the florida sun. Plus they wont send any kind of fruit trees here, but we can buy them at the local garden centers & flea markets with no problem.

I have the opposite problem. I can only get certain plants early locally. I usually have to wait until late summer for yellow knockouts to show up locally.

Poppet11326378157.1232426 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009

I am EXTREMELY disgusted with the ridiculously high cost of shipping and handling I saw on the Cottage Farm shows recently. I thought the s&h was high last season but this is OUT OF CONTROL! I was going to purchase the "Butterfly Bushes" but after seeing the s&h at over $10 - NO WAY! That is just plain OUTRAGEOUS!

Last edited on 1/12/2012

Last edited on 1/12/2012

harv1326379526.237383 PostsRegistered 11/20/2010

Yeah the cost of shipping has gone up for everything & if you think qvc is bad, just try to buy something on ebay those sellers over charge on purpose, to make extra money.

Last edited on 1/12/2012

Last edited on 1/12/2012

smhr661326386559.5432384 PostsRegistered 9/5/2010Laid Back and Mellow Small Town USA
On 1/11/2012 gypsy2 said:

I bought mini roses from Cottage Farms about three years ago and they are still living and blooming. I also got the daylilies and they are still going strong. Jill was right, you can run over them with the car and they still do well. That has happened here.

Heck, I've bought miniature roses at Kroger for my mom ( Mothers Day ), and they have done well for her outside garden. Not only that, they don't cost anymore than Cottage Farms.

Daylilies? I've bought plenty through Walmart. Those are almost impossible to kill. So, Jill isn't the only one that can use that phrase, you can run over them with a car and they still do well.

mature, dry, sensitive, makeup optional skin. keep it healthy with NIA24, MD Forte, physical sunscreen and Fancl cleanser.

smhr661326386697.92384 PostsRegistered 9/5/2010Laid Back and Mellow Small Town USA
On 1/12/2012 harv said:

Yeah the cost of shipping has gone up for everything & if you think qvc is bad, just try to buy something on ebay those sellers over charge on purpose, to make extra money.

ITA. I buy little from eBay anymore. Even those selling plants on eBay have gone up in price. Ridiculous.

mature, dry, sensitive, makeup optional skin. keep it healthy with NIA24, MD Forte, physical sunscreen and Fancl cleanser.

little mis­s sunshine1326386993.4672462 PostsRegistered 10/13/2006

Buy from your local gardening shops. Your plants will live longer and you'll have less hassle.

Wadzlla1326391424.1931984 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

Roberta's plants are small, sickly and overpriced. Go to your local garden stores and buy your plants.

Leah19641326505982.17451 PostsRegistered 8/23/2011New Castle

I never bought anything from Robertas.Now after reading here I'm so glad I didn't!Thanks for the info.

Ellie07141326523263.6831791 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern California
On 1/12/2012 little miss sunshine said:

Buy from your local gardening shops. Your plants will live longer and you'll have less hassle.

ITA! most likely due the fact that they know what plants do well in the area. visiting my local nursery is a favorite past time of mine. i have learned a lot from them.

Ellie

Blooming H­yacinth1326525203.167326 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007The Great Midwest

I have purchased from both companies in the past. I will never do so again. The stuff I purchased either died or did not thrive in any way. They are fun shows to watch to get ideas, but I don't personally feel that either company offers very good products. I agree with many posters above --- buy locally. That way you can see what you're getting, support your local economy and have the benefit of not paying S&H charges.

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. Anonymous

mzlg1326526997.623865 PostsRegistered 6/25/2006

I too, agree with JustJazzmom. For several years I had watched the presentations from both of these vendors and one season (a few years back) I deceided to give R's & CF a try. My experience from purchasing from both Roberta's and Cottage Farms, in the same season, was not a good one. I notified both Roberta's and Cottage Farms about the problems of the items received and I was told that it was too late in the season to get replacement plants for flowers and fruits, but they would send them out the next year. I was thankful for that part of the policy. Just before my area was ready for the season gardening I had to remind both Roberta's and Cottage Farms to send me the replacement plants. The replacement plants were sent, but they smaller than stated in their Q presentations and they were not healthy when I received them. Needless to say, out of all of the items I paid for and had to wait another year for, there were only two frail berry plants that lived. Even after several years of tender loving care, they are still small, but this last summer they did have a few tasty berries. Hopefully, this summer will be better. I will not waste my money, time and energy from any plant vendor on the Q. I will purchase from the local garden shops and from quality mail order vendors.

~!~

dgluvr1326529569.855266 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
On 1/11/2012 Rachelle said:

The only thing that ever really grew for me from Cottage Farms were the 4'oclocks and grow they did{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Its okay though, were they get to crazy, I dig them up and transplant to another area. I am getting my moneys worth for sure.

I ordered many weeping cherry trees and each time the tops came in snapped off and always ended up loaded with ants, none of my other plants from other stores have done this...

I hope they offer the 4 o'clocks again this year.

Just so you know- 4 o'clocks are annuals- and you can start them in peat pots in your home (depending on where you live- in the NE seedlings usually are started April or so then "hardened off" ( putting them in a cooler area for a while and finally outside in a protected area ( just next the house is usually enough) A package of Burpee 4'clocks is a few bucks and you can save the seeds from this years and start them next year.

As for Cottage Farms- I have NEVER had anything survive from them- they come half-dead and/ or rotting and/or with bugs and all I can say at least when I call Q's CS - they credit me. Daylilies, Hyrdrangeas- mini roses- nothing survived even one season - Now I buy local.

Last edited on 1/14/2012

Last edited on 1/14/2012

luvmyteddy1326583440.918860 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Royals/Chiefs

I ordered CF's 100 pack about 7-8 years ago. I think it was a TSV. I planted everything and the next year 3 plants didn't make it. I called CF and they said they would send out replacements the next season. Well they were overwhelmed by orders and I had to keep on them but finally received a whole new pack of the 100 plants again. I thought I would get 3 plants. Very surprised. Needless to say 7 years later I have awesome plants.

I did buy the mini roses once and they only lastest 1 yr. So I won't order again, but I did get my monies worth the first time.

Must love dogs and cats

Page 1 of 2