TSV(R) Preview
29 Members and 12883 Guests Online

In the Garden

Any tips for getting rid of Morning Glory vines? Must be pet-friendly, so no toxic chemicals

Started 1308244588.877 in In the Garden | Last reply 1314226295.9 by PurpleBunny

Morning glory is taking over one area of my yard!!

About 4 years ago, my next-door neighbor planted some morning glory vines along the fence that separates our property. The fence is ugly so I understand why he did it, but the morning glory is so invasive that we can't keep it under control. My DH and I have been dealing with the vines for the past 3 summers by pulling them off the fence and trying to pull them out of the ground by the roots. They just keep coming back stronger than ever. We just noticed this morning that they have taken over another area of the yard so we really want to try to get rid of them.

I have a dog so I don't want to use any type of weed killer that would harm him, the neighborhood cats, or the squirrels and birds who reside in our yard. Plus, I do not like to put a bunch of chemicals around that could get into the water supply.

Do you have any suggestions on how we can control these vines other than weed killer or killing ourselves trying to do it manually? I think they are very pretty but there are just way too many of them.

TIA.

Get rich quick - count your blessings

Page 1 of 2
Scooby Doo1308246625.0571051 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006Western U.S.

First, I would go to a "farm store" like IFA or Tractor Supply, they should have something you can safely use. Weed Pro is used to get rid of thistle and weeds in horse pastures without harming the horses.

Some people put white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the weeds. Be careful that you don't spray anything near because it will burn other plants.

I used epsom salt to get rid of some tough tree roots that kept sending up shooters after I cut down the tree.

SharonKay1308248028.533782 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio

Thank you for the response, Scooby.

I will check out Tractor Supply. There aren't any near me but there is one near my parent's house. I did not think of going there to see what they recommend. We also have a tree that keeps sending up shoots so I might try the epsom salt or vinegar on that, too.

JustJazzmom1308251097.9126387 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

Trees that send up shoots come from either below ground (s#ckers) or above ground. The cure is similar-- dig down to where the shoot is emerging from the root and cut it and then scrape the area with the side of your clipper to prevent it from re activating. If its above ground, clip off as close as possible and again take your clipper and scrape the cut area.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

SharonKay1308257789.1073782 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio

Thanks, JustJazzMom for the info on getting rid of those tree shoots. DH has cut them a few times but I don't think he scraped the wood after he was done.

Both the morning glory and this tree are very hard to keep on top of.

JustJazzmom1308258052.43326387 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!
On 6/16/2011 SharonKay said:

Thanks, JustJazzMom for the info on getting rid of those tree shoots. DH has cut them a few times but I don't think he scraped the wood after he was done.

Both the morning glory and this tree are very hard to keep on top of.

We have had success with the scraping the wood on grafted roots of certain roses. In a large public rose garden, they have 4 Fairy standard (tree roses) and we see sometimes the suckers from the root coming up. We see this on 2 of the 4 tree roses. We go there in the spring and the fall for preparing for the spring or putting to bed. We use these roses as a teaching experience to new Master Gardeners on how to eliminate s#ckers from below.

shannara1308871590.32589 PostsRegistered 2/5/2006

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have a feeling that you are not dealing with cultivars of Morning Glories, but rather Bindweed. It is an invasive running vine that does indeed look like morning glories in both leaf and flower. I, too, have been dealing with this for years and looked for help on the web. What I read was very disheartening. The article said that the only way to get rid of this is to totally deprive it of light. Well, that's virtually impossible as this weed twines around plant stems and grows up through the roots of my perennials. If the root of this vine is very white and fleshy, breaks easily, and has almost no hairy side roots, it is most likely bindweed. I have decided this year, that I am going to be diligent in pulling it. I go out absolutely every day and pull out every one I can find. I have noticed that although it's still there EVERY DAY, the leaves are getting much smaller, so I have hope that if I keep it up, I will at least keep it in check, if not kill it totally. I feel for you if this is bindweed, it's the weed from He*ll.

JustJazzmom1308877467.98726387 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

Bindweed.

SharonKay1308936782.3073782 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio

Sorry I haven't commented sooner - I was on just briefly yesterday and I didn't see your new posts until now.

shannara - all I can say is YIKES! I hope this is not bindweed. The flowers are blue, not white or pink so maybe (hopefully) it is Morning Glory and not bindweed. It is pouring outside right now so I can't go out there to see if the vines look as you described. I'll do so when we get a break in the rain.

My neighbor (who planted this along our fence) works on construction sites where existing homes are leveled and he sometimes brings home abandoned plants so it is quite possible that he picked up bindweed instead of morning glory. He has apologized for planting it as it has totally taken over the one area of our yard. Thank heaven it is near our cement driveway, which seems to have stopped it spreading or I am certain it would cover our entire yard by now.

We have been pulling at it all summer but that seems to give it incentive to grow even faster and stronger. We haven't tried any of the tricks mentioned on this thread yet because it has rained a lot and because we are concentrating on getting a garage sale together. However, we each pull at some vines on our way to the garage in an effort to stop it from taking over.

Good luck to you shannara - the article JustJazzMom posted said you need a thick layer of mulch to try to smother it. However, if you have this intertwined with your perennials, that that obviously would not work for you.

JustJazzMom - thanks for posting the link to info on bindweed.

tantallum1308938359.931437 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006Chicago, IL

I don't think there is anything that is strong enough to kill a plant but be completely non-toxic for animals.... you'll probably want to keep your dogs away from where you spray for a couple days or until after it rains.

SharonKay1308955815.3533782 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio

tantallum - I suppose you are right about that. I will keep my dog away from the area as much as possible but it is planted right beside the entrance to our yard and fence.

I'm still not sure if this is bindweed or morning glory. I think it's morning glory - though the stem does seem a bit milky, so I'm not sure. Grrrrrr.

Thanks again to all who responded.

JustJazzmom1308957789.4426387 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

That Weed Alert site is excellent with the photos and ways to eliminate the weeds without resorting to harsh chemicals.

Now here is a funny story-- I thought that a hosta had reseeded itself across the way from where I had hostas and that the seedling had shown the characteristics of the parent. I carefully took it up and replanted it in the shade so I could eyeball its growth. Today I found out I had carefully transplanted this plant when I saw the kind of flower it was getting!! LOL

tantallum1308960693.9631437 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006Chicago, IL
On 6/24/2011 SharonKay said:

tantallum - I suppose you are right about that. I will keep my dog away from the area as much as possible but it is planted right beside the entrance to our yard and fence.

I'm still not sure if this is bindweed or morning glory. I think it's morning glory - though the stem does seem a bit milky, so I'm not sure. Grrrrrr.

Thanks again to all who responded.

I just wouldn't want anything to happen to your pooch.... good luck in getting rid of it, though!

Gigikiwi1308961360.31512 PostsRegistered 12/13/2007

I know this may sound a little nutty but, when you have something you cannot get rid of it makes a gardener nutty. I have dock and have been fighting it for years. It is so sneaky it grows up in the middle of other plants, so I cannot spray the leaves. My latest approach and most selective one is to cut off the foliage at the top of the soil, then take a can (like a green been can that has been opened on one end and hammer it down over the carrot like root stem. I use a rubber mallet. I am depriving the plant of light and in a month or two I pull it up and the plant is gone. This may not be doable for a rampant weed such as you describe, but you may use it at some time or another when you need to protect other plants.

Gigi

cjmcp1308963561.3671566 PostsRegistered 12/23/2004Texas

This is from an organic gardening site:

Vinegar - The Organic Herbicide
The best choice for herbicide use is 10% white vinegar made from grain alcohol. It should be used full strength. I've mentioned 20% in the past but it is stronger than needed and too expensive. Avoid products that are made from 99% glacial acetic acid. This material is a petroleum derivative. Natural vinegars such those made from fermenting apples have little herbicidal value. They are used in irrigation water and as an ingredient in Garrett Juice.

Herbicide Formula:
1 gallon of 10% vinegar
Add 1 ounce orange oil or d-limonene
Add 1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon liquid soap or other surfactant (I use Bio Wash)
Do not add water

Shake well before each spraying and spot spray weeds. Keep the spray off desirable plants. This spray will injure any plants it touches. This natural spray works best on warm to hot days.

Vinegar sprayed the bases of trees and other woody plants will not hurt the plant at all. This technique was first learned about by spraying the suckers and weeds growing around the bases of grapevines. For best results, use full strength 10% (100 grain) vinegar with 1 oz orange and 1 teaspoon liquid soap per gallon. Avoid vinegar product made from acetic acid.

JustJazzmom1308967466.58326387 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!
On 6/24/2011 Gigikiwi said:

I know this may sound a little nutty but, when you have something you cannot get rid of it makes a gardener nutty. I have dock and have been fighting it for years. It is so sneaky it grows up in the middle of other plants, so I cannot spray the leaves. My latest approach and most selective one is to cut off the foliage at the top of the soil, then take a can (like a green been can that has been opened on one end and hammer it down over the carrot like root stem. I use a rubber mallet. I am depriving the plant of light and in a month or two I pull it up and the plant is gone. This may not be doable for a rampant weed such as you describe, but you may use it at some time or another when you need to protect other plants.

Gigi

That's a great idea!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

gardenman1309001046.00315910 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I like that idea. I don't think it would work on bindweed as it would just send out shoots from another part of the underground rhizome, but for other plants it would be great. I'll have to give it a try.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

SharonKay1309123791.2733782 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio

Thanks everyone for your great ideas and input.

songsparrow1309170504.48784545 PostsRegistered 1/16/2008

Then cover the area with weed free tarp and cover that with mulch!!

beachbabe-­WA1310825335.783310 PostsRegistered 7/11/2009Seattle, WA

Oh my, I thought I had a vigorous Morning Glory on my hands. It's all over my front planting bed, by the foundation in the mulch, it even travels underneath my front cement stoop and comes up on the other side! Now I see from the pics. it is Bindweed! It's very difficult to get rid of - sprouts up everywhere even after I think I've pulled it all up! I have a small section in the back I let it go because I think the Hummers like it, but in the front I'm constantly pulling and every year it still comes back! UGGGGGGHHHHHH! I have Dogs and Cats so I just keep pulling and pulling those weeds!

~ Tiger L­ily ~1311460909.7673173 PostsRegistered 7/23/2011The edge of tomorrow

Morning Glories need to be pulled at the root, be careful not to leave any blooms behind. They are like a weed and choke out everything they come in contact with.

~ Magic has always existed. It's this world that isn't real.~

PurpleBunny1314064087.01338883 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch

I planted Morning Glory that I had grown from seed last year. I was SHOCKED at how much it took over. However, I cut it down to ground level at the end of the season and I figured I would see what happened the next summer.

But wouldn't you know, I didn't have ONE BIT of it come back this year. I have no idea why, either. I could have sworn it was perennial, but does it also come in an annual??

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
♡ღ‿♡⌒♡‿ღ♡
April is Autism Awareness Month
Boston Strong 2014

       

SharonKay1314064608.073782 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio

Oh, I see that some of you have answered me since the last time I checked! I thought this poor thread had died (something I wish would happen with my morning glories - lol). Thanks so much for everyone's input and ideas.

Unfortunately the morning glory is still alive and well and thriving in my back yard. We fought it all summer and finally just gave up. We cut it down at the end of summer but it comes back stronger than ever the following year.

Thanks again and good luck to all of us who are fighting with this darn stuff!

PurpleBunny1314064958.49338883 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch

Want me to come visit it? I had no problem killing my own!

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
♡ღ‿♡⌒♡‿ღ♡
Boston Strong 2014

       

Sister Gol­den Hair1314066152.90713771 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

This is just to help anyone that doesn't know when you cut down a tree, we have a man come with a stump grinder. He grinds down the stump, you cover with dirt then grass seed. You never have any little trees ever.

Hello PurpleBunny, I have a ground cover that I need to get rid of....be looking forward to your visit!

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

PurpleBunny1314066196.13338883 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch

SGH ... me and my black thumb will be right over!

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
♡ღ‿♡⌒♡‿ღ♡
Boston Strong 2014

       

Page 1 of 2