Give Gorgeous
45 Members and 11930 Guests Online

In the Garden

Hummingbirds

Started 1307828504.84 in In the Garden | Last reply 1313776127.45 by straitgirl

I put up four hummer feeders (food changed often) a couple weeks ago. However, so far I've only seen two hummers at two different times. One of the feeders is on a double hanger with a red petunia hanging basket on the one side. The others are above "trumpet" flowers. What else can I do to draw them?

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

Page 1 of 2
Babyfran1307828791.34710626 PostsRegistered 12/11/2010

Hi! I have noticed that my hummers have "taken a break" from their usual feeding freenzy. {#emotions_dlg.lol} The only thing that I can think of is that they are nesting right now. They nest several times a year....so perhaps they are taking a little break!

Good luck....and keep your eyes peeled....they'll be back! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Fran {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Wadzlla1307830357.7871976 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

I see my hummers early in the morning, and at dusk. They do a lot of nesting in the summer, and with the crazy cool wet/ to hot summer, everything is kind of out of kilter. The hummer eggs hatch about 14 days after being layed, so these are busy little birds!

Just keep your feeders clean and just put a little liquid in- I just fill to the point where I can see the liquid this time of year, and change every 24-36 hours.

We have had our 2 acre yard certified as a Wildlife Habitat (I watch too much HGTV) The orioles and hummers were going nuts at our 8 feeders during all of the rain, but I think now some flowers have bloomed. They also eat little insects.

Plant red flowers. you can Google "hummingbird garden" to see a list of plant that attract these beautiful living jewels.

I am also surprised at all of the Orchard Orioles and Baltimore Orioles at our feeders this year. (we are in NW Ohio right on lake Erie- Catawba Island)

Last edited on 6/11/2011

Last edited on 6/11/2011

CSH1307830564.1732334 PostsRegistered 12/5/2009NW PA

Our hummers have slowed down too...Mid-June to Mid-July is nesting season. Be patient...they will be back until the nights begin to get cold in September.

Yes...keep your food clean. Mold develops quickly and can kill the birds.

I have woodpeckers who feed from my feeder!

Play is children's work!

I Teach Too1308232269.26711790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.
On 6/11/2011 Babyfran said:

Hi! I have noticed that my hummers have "taken a break" from their usual feeding freenzy. {#emotions_dlg.lol} The only thing that I can think of is that they are nesting right now. They nest several times a year....so perhaps they are taking a little break!

Good luck....and keep your eyes peeled....they'll be back! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Fran {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I read in a magazine that yes, they are nesting now. They should be back at the feeders more around mid July.

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

~SunDee~1308354336.9179683 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

I love them too as did my mother. I'm going to buy a new feeder tomorrow, hope I can find a nice one.

Happiness is about the temporary
Joy is about the eternal!!!

Babyfran1308355924.58710626 PostsRegistered 12/11/2010
On 6/17/2011 ~ Goldie ~ said:

I love them too as did my mother. I'm going to buy a new feeder tomorrow, hope I can find a nice one.

Beautiful picture.....just beautiful.

toodles111308357262.277618 PostsRegistered 12/6/2010

My feeder is next to my porch. I sit out there in the evening and watch them dive bomb each other away from the feeder.

Babyfran1308411705.4310626 PostsRegistered 12/11/2010
On 6/17/2011 toodles11 said:

My feeder is next to my porch. I sit out there in the evening and watch them dive bomb each other away from the feeder.

I love it.....dive bomb each other away from the feeder!! Mine do the same thing! I have three feeders out.....and they all fight each other over one feeder!!! Go figure.....{#emotions_dlg.lol}

straitgirl1308411858.421707 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

I haven't seen any yet this year, but don't spend the day looking. Maybe it has something to do with the fires here.

~SunDee~1308438532.2279683 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

I hope I get the dive bombing action that you get. I just bought the cutest feeder and I'll let you know if they come to feed.

Grow these perennials, and watch hummingbirds flock to your garden:

Bee Balm...Columbine...Salvia

Phlox...Coralbells...Trumpet Vine

Lupine...Butterfly B U S H

Hollyhock...Rose of Sharon

Last edited on 6/18/2011

Last edited on 6/18/2011

JustJazzmom1308444976.07728191 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

To add to ~Goldie~'s post-- any plant that has a flower in the shape of a trumpet will encourage hummers to your garden.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

~SunDee~1308445296.2539683 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010
On 6/18/2011 JustJazzmom said:

To add to ~Goldie~'s post-- any plant that has a flower in the shape of a trumpet will encourage hummers to your garden.

That's good to know THANKS JJm Kiss

kittykatkay1308449707.86723127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011
On 6/18/2011 ~ Goldie ~ said:

I hope I get the dive bombing action that you get. I just bought the cutest feeder and I'll let me know if they come to feed.

Grow these perennials, and watch hummingbirds flock to your garden:

Bee Balm...Columbine...Salvia

Phlox...Coralbells...Trumpet Vine

Lupine...Butterfly B U S H

Hollyhock...Rose of Sharon

Goldie, also I read somewhere that (and correct me anyone, if I am wrong), but they also love honeysuckle vines. They actually feed there first if you have them in your yard (which I do along my fence in the back - and borders on both sides of mine and my neighbors). I have both yellow and red honeysuckle and they really bloom in the spring and kind of die down during the hot days of summer. That's probably why my hummingbird feeders have been empty every day after putting them out. They're hungry now for nectar from the feeders rather than my honeysuckle vines.

I love to laugh and dance......

JustJazzmom1308450187.3428191 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

That's true kittykatkay-- the honeysuckle flower is shaped like a trumpet.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

whitney491308451496.82755 PostsRegistered 6/11/2009NY

Hi AnikaBrodie,

I prepare my own nectar, 4 cups water, 1 heaping cup sugar, boil 1 minute, let it cool then refrigerate in clean water bottle. (No red food coloring)

My hummingbirds love this mixture. I live in the Hudson Valley area of NY, I put my feeders out the first week in May and made my fifth batch of nectar today! The little piggies!

Hope this helps, be prepared to spend a lot of time watching these sweet little gems of nature....

Whitney

My Pug makes my heart smile

jewel31308452630.921784 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006West Coast
They have more flowers to feed on now. Mine took a 2-3 week break but are coming back now. I have a feeder near the window over the kitchen sink and tell them how happy I am to see them back. Lol

We'll never have significance in this life if it's all about us.

~SunDee~1308453837.599683 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

Hi Kitty, Love honeysuckle but not the bee's. My mother (when she was alive)and I would sit on her porch and watch them came and feed, and half the time her feeder was empty, go figure. It's a fond memory of times spent with my mom. Everytime I see a hummingbird I think of her {#emotions_dlg.wub}

foxywoods1308454231.88913 PostsRegistered 8/6/2007

I just put up a new feeder and they love it more than the old one. It has big red flowers and cost less than $8.00. Its by Woodstream, I found it at Do It Best Hardware.

I put up a new feeder because there is one male who won't let the others drink. he sits in s tree and dive bombs them all afternoon when they all see the sun shining on the bright red of the feeders. Now he protects both feeders!

early in the season there are more males stopping by. they do nest and disappear for while, now there are females who stop by for a quick drink.

AnikaBrodie1308613302.03315267 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The NE state of mountains and valleys

I have four feeders but have only seen two hummers so far. Maybe they're coming when I'm not looking. LOL. I replace the food often cleaning the feeders each time. I use the 4 to 1 water/sugar method for food.

Are there any opinions on how close the feeders should be to each other?

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

Babyfran1308614149.00710626 PostsRegistered 12/11/2010
On 6/20/2011 AnikaBrodie said:

I have four feeders but have only seen two hummers so far. Maybe they're coming when I'm not looking. LOL. I replace the food often cleaning the feeders each time. I use the 4 to 1 water/sugar method for food.

Are there any opinions on how close the feeders should be to each other?

I believe they should be 10 to 15 feet apart. Don't hold me to this....but I think this is in the ballpark.

Shaunac1309298848.943054 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

Anyone have a water feature in their yard for the hummers? I understand they like misty or running water, no standing water. Any opinions on getting something started?

Shauna

AnikaBrodie1310403133.1215267 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The NE state of mountains and valleys

I've cleaned my HB feeders many times since my OP. Unfortunately, I still haven't seen those elusive little hummers. {#emotions_dlg.sad} Where are they? I just cleaned and refilled the feeders again yesterday. As someone suggested I've checked in early morning and dusk but haven't seen them then either.

BTW I am in central PA. Do you have hummers where you live?

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~

shebamom1310404855.52756 PostsRegistered 9/9/2008

You are just a little too late for attracting hummingbirds to new feeders. They've been here since the first of May and that's when they were really looking for food sources (before a lot of flowers were out), and they selected nesting sites close by. But, keep them going until Thanksgiving to attract those that are migrating from further north. And forget that old wives tale about them not leaving when they should if you keep your feeders up. They instinctly leave when the environment tells them to. We only have the Ruby Throated nesting here in the summer, but they do breed in Canada & have to pass through on their way south. And, are you sure the male is doing the dive bombing? After they mate, they have nothing to do with each other, he's useless. She will not allow him anywhere near the nest, and usually is the one chasing him away from her precious food supply. Of course, he's always wanting to mate at any time, but she'll have nothing to do with him while she has young in her nest. Mine are here more in the morning, not the hot afternoons.

benzgirl1310405169.315721 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006Tennessee by way of the great state of NY

I have noticed that my hummers have slowed down right now as well. I think that there are lots of flowers coming into bloom and that could be the reason that they are not coming to the feeders. Anika, you said that you put the feeders out a couple of weeks ago. Do you know that the birds like fresh food? I change the food every three days. HTH!

Sorry. I just went back and read some of the earlier posts and I see that you are changing the food freqently.

Last edited on 7/11/2011

Last edited on 7/11/2011

"Let my heart be broken with the things that break the heart of God". ~ Bob Pierce ~ Founder of World Vision

Pray for the USA, Pray for Israel

shopandgo1310405434.043438 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009
On 7/11/2011 AnikaBrodie said:

I've cleaned my HB feeders many times since my OP. Unfortunately, I still haven't seen those elusive little hummers. {#emotions_dlg.sad} Where are they? I just cleaned and refilled the feeders again yesterday. As someone suggested I've checked in early morning and dusk but haven't seen them then either.

BTW I am in central PA. Do you have hummers where you live?

If you just put your feeders out it is a little late in the year to attract them, meaning that they normally scout out areas in the spring so you may only get a couple coming occasionally just to feed, they may not be nesting near you where they would come more often. I normally put out my feeders the 2nd or 3rd week of May even if it is still cold out. Normally I will see a hummer or two and then may not for a couple of days but they come back and then stay for the summer. I have 5 feeders and found that mine prefer the simple feeders from Perky Pet. Don't give up on them, more than likely if you keep up with the feeders this year you will be rewarded with more hummers next year. Each year we seem to get more, just make sure you get your feeders out early enough that they find them on their scouting trips (some say they don't scout, just that some arrive earlier than others). We have also planted many different flowers that bloom throughout the summer so there is always something coming on for the hummers and of course they have their feeders. Some of our feeders are close together and others are separated. We also put zip ties on the poles the feeders are hanging on, the hummers love to sit on them.

http://www.birdfeeders.com/store/hummingbird-feeders/bhbpwf

Page 1 of 2