New Holiday Decor
103 Members and 16997 Guests Online

In the Garden

chrysanthemum daisy plant

Started 1306721582.417 in In the Garden | Last reply 1309453025.877 by esmeraldagooch
replies

My children gave me a beautiful chrysanthemum daisy plant. Is there a special way to take care of this? It is in a wicker basket now, but will I later transplant it outside? I live in South Dakota, so we have all seasons here. Do I pinch off the daisies as they die to prolong the life of the plant?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

Page 1 of 1
JustJazzmom1306722131.03328083 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

Got a name for this plant?? Is it a 'hardy mum' or a florist mum? Could it be a Gerbera daisy?? These are annuals and are treated as such. Hardy mums can overwinter in the soil outside while the florist ones can only be considered houseplants that can go out for the summer for a 'vacation' and then back indoors in the early fall.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

babyb1306724793.984665 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

This is all the info I have on it:

Bright colors are captured with this large six-inch mum plant which arrives in a wicker basket.

I am wondering, I guess, if this is one that will live just a short time and then I throw it out, or will I be able to keep it growing a long time?

Last edited on 5/29/2011

Last edited on 5/29/2011

JustJazzmom1306726432.45328083 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

Could you ask the florist where it is from if it is a hardy or florist mum?? This will determine how to care for it. Yes, you can deadhead or remove spent flowers before they set seed, but the plant will bloom for a specific period of time.

Mums generally you can remove the spent flowers or if they haven't bloomed yet, keep the tips cut back so they delay setting buds and thus bloom later in the season for you. You can do this for hardy mums. I think it works for florist mums too if not in bloom or with buds set yet. Mums bloom on the current season's wood or stems (its called new wood). Old wood when you read it in the literature means the previous year's wood or stems. Like certain hydrangeas or lilacs that bloom on old wood. or rhodies or azaleas-- they bloom on old wood.

babyb1306726546.4834665 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

Thanks for taking so much time to help me with this. You really do know what you are talking about!

JustJazzmom1306726649.50728083 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

{#emotions_dlg.blushing}Thanks.

Jeanne R1306727269.8834788 PostsRegistered 7/5/2010

you got a good gift to take care of

gardenman1306756336.49717088 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I'll just second what JJM said and add that you may get a second burst of bloom in the fall. I believe Mums are a plant that sets their flowers based on the length of the days. In greenhouses they can artificially manipulate this using artificial lighting and shading so that plants can be in flower as needed. It's more complicated in the home setting to do it artificially, but if you put the mum outside, it should automatically set buds as the days start to get shorter in the fall. I strongly suspect this is a florist mum and not a garden mum, so it won't survive the winter outside, but you can bring it inside once the buds have set and are opening (sooner if bad weather is heading your way) and keep it as a house plant over the winter.

I might recommend repotting it also. The pot it's in (in the photograph anyway) looks kind of smallish for the plant. A slightly larger pot, some fresh soil, a summer outdoors, and some watering should give you a second round of flowers from the plant come fall. You may even find the plant doubles (or more) in size before it flowers in the fall making it even more impressive than it is now.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

babyb1306765554.264665 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

I was wondering if the pot was large enough. Those directions make it sound easy to take care of, too. I can do easy! Thank you!

esmeraldag­ooch1309453025.8612158 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

There are many varities of mums. Plant it outside when you're done with it and cut off all the old blooms. I you keep it watered it more than likely will bloom again in the fall. http://www.guntersgreenhouse.com/Chrysanthemum.htm

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Page 1 of 1