Fall Fashion Days
126 Members and 12937 Guests Online

In the Garden

Birds nesting in my hanging baskets!

Started 1304431808.76 in In the Garden | Last reply 1306806452.06 by whatserface
I love to bird watch and I don't mind bird nests around my home, HOWEVER, I have Bethlehem lights hanging baskets and I want the birds to stay out of them. I don't mind the birds temporarily occupying my live flower baskets, but I really do not want them in my artificial ones which hinders my moving them to other areas of my house and even accessing the battery pack. I would love any advice, I could get, that will keep the birds out of my hanging baskets.

Page 1 of 1
Jen-PT1304433697.0071794 PostsRegistered 9/14/2007West Coast

There are some birds that built a nest on top of my wreath hanging on my front door. I'm excited about it! We'll either go in through the garage or through the backdoor so that we don't disturb them. No biggie and it will be beautiful seeing them grow up.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut and still think they are sexy.

VCamp27481304433945.3176513 PostsRegistered 4/20/2006

I think I would temporarily take them down until you get a viable solution. Can you call your local humane society, or animal control, for advice on a humane way of keeping the birds out of those baskets?

Last edited on 5/3/2011

Last edited on 5/3/2011

cinebee1304434071.6876422 PostsRegistered 5/7/2007

I love it when birds nest around my house. I would leave them up and let them have it!

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.
-Alfred A. Montapert

Beebo1304434797.9236958 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010

I've had birds' nests in my living hanging baskets, Bethlehem Lights hanging baskets and wreaths. I find it more of a challenge with the living hanging baskets because of watering. I currently have a robin's nest in a Bethlehem Lights hanging basket. I enjoy the birds and they grow up and leave the nest pretty quickly,

Rus Girl1304435001.487435 PostsRegistered 10/26/2006

We have a dove that has had a nest on my front porch 3 years in a row. We are pretty sure it is the same dove too. She flies kinda weird like she has been injured at some point.

We chased her out of 2 of my pots. Now she is up in an old hanging basket. Out of the way, not harming my plants. We are fine with her in this pot. She's used to us and the mail lady going and coming from the front door. My mail lady told me she says hi to her every day. We can water the other plants right near her and she stays put. Every year she gets less scared of us.

blue_weima­raner1304435105.7471138 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007Pennsylvania

Unfortunately, the birds (and the babies before they leave the nest) will p o o p all over your baskets. And on an artificial item, it will be hard to get clean. I had a nest in an artificial wreath on my door last year and the poo was disgusting. Sorry, but it was.

If you don't want to take the baskets down, try putting some aluminum foil in the top where the birds are going. (I'm assuming they are getting in the foliage inside the basket) Tuck it in so it's not visible. Animals generally hate foil, it freaks them out. good luck..

my weimaraner is smarter than your honor student

* whatever doesn't kill me had better start running *

Jen-PT1304438178.2131794 PostsRegistered 9/14/2007West Coast
On 5/3/2011 Rus Girl said:

We have a dove that has had a nest on my front porch 3 years in a row. We are pretty sure it is the same dove too. She flies kinda weird like she has been injured at some point.

We chased her out of 2 of my pots. Now she is up in an old hanging basket. Out of the way, not harming my plants. We are fine with her in this pot. She's used to us and the mail lady going and coming from the front door. My mail lady told me she says hi to her every day. We can water the other plants right near her and she stays put. Every year she gets less scared of us.

That's really cool. Enjoy your bond with nature!

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut and still think they are sexy.

only shops­ online1304438956.2775486 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

Just wait until a little later into the Summer to put the baskets out. Judging by bird nesting in our yard, most of this is over by the end of June or beginning of July.

We have two huge cypress trees around our side porch. It's like the United Nations out there, LOL. Cardinals, robins, and blue jays are nested in those two trees. The blue jays get along with the other birds, which amazes me. And, I absolutely love the baby cardinals. They are just soooo cute.

LonDA1304521976.6241 PostsRegistered 1/12/2011
On 5/3/2011 Rus Girl said:

Yes, I agree. I believe I have the same bird every year, as well. It's just that I've spent too much money for my artificial baskets to have them ruined by the birds. It's simply not one of my hanging baskets that I care to share with them right now. But that is awesome, "your dove" has become part of the family!

LonDA1304522161.3941 PostsRegistered 1/12/2011
On 5/3/2011 only shops online said:

Just wait until a little later into the Summer to put the baskets out. Judging by bird nesting in our yard, most of this is over by the end of June or beginning of July.

We have two huge cypress trees around our side porch. It's like the United Nations out there, LOL. Cardinals, robins, and blue jays are nested in those two trees. The blue jays get along with the other birds, which amazes me. And, I absolutely love the baby cardinals. They are just soooo cute.

Thanks! I will do that. I'll just hang my real flowers in spring and my (expensive) artificial ones in early summer. I throw out my real flowers by the end of summer so I have no problem with them nesting in those.

LonDA1304522433.98341 PostsRegistered 1/12/2011
On 5/3/2011 blue_weimaraner said:

Unfortunately, the birds (and the babies before they leave the nest) will p o o p all over your baskets. And on an artificial item, it will be hard to get clean. I had a nest in an artificial wreath on my door last year and the poo was disgusting. Sorry, but it was.

If you don't want to take the baskets down, try putting some aluminum foil in the top where the birds are going. (I'm assuming they are getting in the foliage inside the basket) Tuck it in so it's not visible. Animals generally hate foil, it freaks them out. good luck..

EXACTLY my concern! I hope the damage isn't too bad by the time I'm able to "reclaim" my baskets, but I'll try your tip. I read somewhere that highly refractive items keep them away, and foil isn't something I had thought of. Thanks so much!!!

mousiegirl1304523164.1713806 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007

We put wire cages in the baskets by, i.e., form some chicken wire in a dome or similar shape and insert in the baskets so that the cage stands up as the birds can't build nests.

Last edited on 5/4/2011

Last edited on 5/4/2011

mishti1304524761.337318 PostsRegistered 8/22/2007

Rus girl love your dove story.

In my front yard there were these 2 doves builing their nest.One dove was building it and the other was fetching the twigs.The dove builing the nest would come out, take the twig her mate handed to her and go in.Perfect couple.

kittykatkay1304524910.85723127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011

Ohhhhhhhh, how sweet. Leave them be, contribute to their survival and beauty.

I love to laugh and dance......

Lugnut1304526436.2210 PostsRegistered 8/12/2006So.CA
On 5/3/2011 Jen-PT said:

There are some birds that built a nest on top of my wreath hanging on my front door. I'm excited about it! We'll either go in through the garage or through the backdoor so that we don't disturb them. No biggie and it will be beautiful seeing them grow up.

I had the same thing happen with my front door wreath; I would advise sliding in a piece of paper between the nesting area and the door. Once the eggs hatch the nest becomes covered in bird p**p (I think it's meant to support the extra weight of the babies) and your door will become covered as well! It's TOUGH to clean off and the paper can be easily removed once Mama and family have moved on.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Me And My ­Shadow1304527197.2431087 PostsRegistered 1/8/2009
On 5/3/2011 cinebee said:

I love it when birds nest around my house. I would leave them up and let them have it!

I so agree!...We've had birds nest in beautiful hanging baskets (real flowers)....and I would very carefully still water them....but very gently around the nest....and mother and father bird didn't mind at all.....It is a wonder to watch and there is no way that I could bring myself to disturb their nesting.

You wouldn't believe what my husband and I have gone through helping all creatures of nature....We could write a book!....LOL

Last edited on 5/4/2011

Last edited on 5/4/2011

sher721304527658.35327 PostsRegistered 9/28/2009

I love the dove story too!{#emotions_dlg.wub} we have a pair of owls that nest in a big hole in a live oak tree. we got to see the babies last year out of the nest and hopping around the ground with mama watching over them.

Jen-PT1304527878.451794 PostsRegistered 9/14/2007West Coast
On 5/4/2011 Lugnut said:
On 5/3/2011 Jen-PT said:

I had the same thing happen with my front door wreath; I would advise sliding in a piece of paper between the nesting area and the door. Once the eggs hatch the nest becomes covered in bird p**p (I think it's meant to support the extra weight of the babies) and your door will become covered as well! It's TOUGH to clean off and the paper can be easily removed once Mama and family have moved on.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

That's a great idea, thanks!

palmajo1304528115.347478 PostsRegistered 10/22/2007

I have birds nesting in my hanging flower pots...real or not, and just let them have it. It's fun to watch them from afar!!

"The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart"

Rosebud41304999008.451 PostsRegistered 3/4/2010Lawrence, Kansas

If you can stand the smell try moth balls, whole or crushed.

Sissyrose1306301661.3231464 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have a small nest right now in my hanging basket of real flowers. This is a first for me. There are 4 small white eggs with tiny brown spots on them. I have been told they might be finches. I still water very carefully. The momma bird always flies out when we come too close for her liking. How long will it take for the eggs to hatch?

Mox ie1306507919.4335221 PostsRegistered 7/16/2010

We have had swallows nesting in a mud nest they build or keep building if we knock it down on our enclosed porch. They come in March and stay through early summer. When one set leaves another comes in and when the baby birds grow up they hang around my iron bench and make a huge mess on it, not to mention the mess they make below the nest. We have put up with it for years, mostly because of my husband because he is more humane that me.

This year the swallows are fighting over the nest. Every other day I come out and there is an egg or two on the concrete floor of the porch broken up and some pretty big feathers on the floor as well. The gardener is coming today and I want him to use his power hose and knock off the mud nest once and for all. No baby birds are being born because of the fighting and it breaks my heart to walk out and see the broken tiny eggs on the floor of the porch. My husband is not happy with my decision, but I think this is the most humane way to go.

Does anyone have a different approach to this situation?

When someone tells you that you have changed, it simply means you have stopped living your life their way.

Litlbitcou­ntry1306508160.17778 PostsRegistered 9/18/2006

Same thing happened to me in one of my Bethlehem baskets with the birds nesting which was fine. What I was NOT too happy about was when a squirrel plopped himself down in another basket and then proceeded to chew up all the flowers and wires all day while I was at work!

luvmyteddy1306509145.798190 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Land of Oz

I use to have birds building a nest on top of my porchlight. I kept knocking it down. I finally hung a birdhouse for sparrows on my overhang over the front porch by the door. It took a year or so before they noticed it and now for the last 6 years I have sparrows coming every spring and they have babies for a couple of months. It is fun to watch the mommy and daddy take turns and feed the babies. My kitty likes to watch them from the front door. {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

They do have droppings so I just put a planter underneath the birdhouse. My neighbor just told me yesterday that he has nest on his porchlight also.

I also discovered that birds like to take the netting off my sand bags that I keep in the back of one truck to build their nests. Now all the covers are gone and I am left with tons of sands in the truck bed. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} My birds don't fight over the birdhouse they just take turns.

Last edited on 5/27/2011

Last edited on 5/27/2011

whatserface1306806452.038 PostsRegistered 2/24/2010Evansville, IN

I was having trouble with birds nesting in my artificial baskets that were hanging on my deck so I sprayed my cologne on the baskets and haven't seen any birds there since. Hope this will help you.

Page 1 of 1