TSV(R) Preview
32 Members and 16449 Guests Online

In the Garden

Cottage Farms & Roberta Flowers

Started 1295206127.367 in In the Garden | Last reply 1298271131.01 by dgluvr

It may be only January but very soon Mr. Phillip and the 3 brothers will be flashing beautiful greenhouse grown plants on our screen.

One year I spent hundreds of dollars only to have about a 10% success rate. Last year I bought only one set of 3 plants from C Farms.

This year and going forward - no more QVC plants! My local nursery sells a huge variety of everything for my area and the plants are already in bloom - so will support my local businesses instead. Cottage Farm/Roberta plants take a month or more to develope{#emotions_dlg.mad} and that's too long for the Northeastern states.

I'd like to know what your experiences are with QVC garden selections. What has your success/happiness rate been?

Page 1 of 2
gardenman1295213610.3716667 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I've had good success with the plumerias I got through Robertas. I think a lot of the trouble is they oversell what you can expect from the plants in their first year or two. They'll show a huge plant that most of us will never get in our gardens that was greenhouse grown under ideal conditions and people assume that's what they'll end up with. That's typically not the case. More often than not a perennial will just sit there the first year and not do much of anything. The second year you'll get some improvement, but it's not until the third year (and later) that things take off. They'll also sell very young plants that have a harder time surviving adversity. I realize that their job is to sell plants, but even by plant seller standards, they push the limits on credibility sometimes.

My biggest pet peeve is that they tend to ignore both common and scientific names and rename plants with a name unique to them. That makes it very hard sometimes to find information on what the plants really are and how they should be grown. It's smart for them in that it makes it hard to compare the plants they're selling with other sellers, but it's frustrating when someone ignores the conventional names and invents their own.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

JustJazzmom1295214861.49727582 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

ITA with what gardenman wrote.

If you see something you like here, try and find it locally (hopefully they used the correct cultivar's name for it) and when you do see it, ask how large and how wide it will get upon maturity. Make sure to plant sun loving plants in sun, shade loving in shade and never mix the sun/shade conditions up.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

WSfan1295215150.8472116 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I do like to watch the Cottage Farms programs. Don't order, but in my opinion, Philip is a wealth of information. I can find similar plants at my local nursery for less.

SUGAR bear1295271282.647266 PostsRegistered 1/4/2011

I have also bought hundreds of dollars to find that most of them do die and I am a gardener of many years. The miniature roses all died, accept own root ones,almost all of the lilacs died that were suppose to do well in the south. I bought lavender plants last year and they all died,were replaced and died again,it was the pink and normal colored set.The one things that are great, is the perennial hybiscus, they are large full trees now.I buy things from all over,Logees,Brecks,etc. and nurseries.I figure that by the time you pay shipping and handling and taxes, you are much better off buying it somewhere else and you can pick it out and take it home safely.Some of their stuff like clematis and raspberries and butterfly bushes,oh and Irises are really great.Cottage Farms Iris collection cannot be beat in price and in plant size and quality.I will still buy some things that I know will do well here,but few and far inbetween.

robomo1295271915.3839348 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

I think the garden guys are all fun to watch. But I ordered the hibiscus plants that were a special value two years ago. I had to reorder and still those didn't do anything except get tall and lanky and nearly half of them died. Not even a hint of a flower. Everything else in my garden thrives. No more ordering garden plants from QVC for me either. I'll stick with the local stuff.

smhr661295274183.952384 PostsRegistered 9/5/2010Laid Back and Mellow Small Town USA
On 1/16/2011 BlackBart said:

It may be only January but very soon Mr. Phillip and the 3 brothers will be flashing beautiful greenhouse grown plants on our screen.

One year I spent hundreds of dollars only to have about a 10% success rate. Last year I bought only one set of 3 plants from C Farms.

This year and going forward - no more QVC plants! My local nursery sells a huge variety of everything for my area and the plants are already in bloom - so will support my local businesses instead. Cottage Farm/Roberta plants take a month or more to develope{#emotions_dlg.mad} and that's too long for the Northeastern states.

I'd like to know what your experiences are with QVC garden selections. What has your success/happiness rate been?

Two words - buyer beware. Will stick with my local nursery for plant/flower needs. Also, they ( local nursery ) sell flowers that fit within our zone ( 6 ). Unlike, QVC and Cottage Farms that sell stuff that is suited for zone 9 and omit the information in their presentations. I'm still fumimg over that {#emotions_dlg.mad}.

mature, dry, sensitive, makeup optional skin. keep it healthy with NIA24, MD Forte, physical sunscreen and Fancl cleanser.

littlemac1295275317.652602 PostsRegistered 1/25/2008

I agree. A few years ago I spent a small fortune on plants from CF and only one is still growing. Well, maybe not growing wider or taller...just alive. I bought the four hydrangea plants and only one has had one blossom in more than five years! I like to watch for a while but no thanks to buying anything. I get my plants locally and they thrive.

reiki6041295275931.1231519 PostsRegistered 10/22/2008nyc

I haven't had any luck with Cottage Farms or Roberta's. Love to watch the shows but will buy locally this year.

growing old is mandatory \growing wise is optional

pommom1295466608.0373306 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006

I will never order from Roberta's Garden again. Day lillies were duds.

God's answer to prayer:
1 - Yes
2 - Not yet
3 - I have something better in mind

- Robin Roberts

BLH1295466735.191511 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I will never order from Roberta's again. Lavender was a dud

tdog1295549304.7032241 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007

They imply that all their plants can grow anywhere successfully and I know that is bs. There are so many better catalogues to order from, and local nurseries have a great selection of what grows in your area. I don't even watch the gardening shows anymore. I wonder why they have stuck with those two vendors for so long.

VCamp27481295550154.7876698 PostsRegistered 4/20/2006

I finally learned my lesson a couple of years ago & just stopped ordering any plants at all from QVC. Seems like on one of these forums, or maybe it was a product review, a customer advised to just buy locally since those plants are best to grow in your area. Unless you have a greenhouse & lots of time to baby your plants, that's probably very good advice.

The best success I've ever had with indoor houseplants has been with cuttings given to me by family & friends. That precludes any issues you might have with purchased plants that come from who knows where & might be bug-infested when you buy them.

tdog1295550336.22241 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007
On 1/19/2011 BLH said:

I will never order from Roberta's again. Lavender was a dud

I mean, if lavender won't grow, then their plants must really be poor. Lavender is pretty hearty and easy to grow. I have lots of it in my yard - mostly bought at Home Depot or OSH!

cjmcp1295550795.6931573 PostsRegistered 12/23/2004Texas

My success rate with both Cottage Farms and Roberta's is very low so I'm done with both.

JMINNY1295550881.252233 PostsRegistered 7/6/2006N.Y.

I ordered a lot too, and some did well, but most either died or took years to see anything blooming or growing.....I have a spectacular nursery/greenhouse by me so I go there instead....The one thing I do order and have good luck with are the citrus trees because they cost $60.00 and up at the greenhouse and they are more affordable through Roberta's and they are a decent size and grow fast....Other than that, It is not worth the shipping or the teeny tiny sizes that are shipped....

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.

I am a WEN girl, a Geller girl, a Mallinista, and proud of it!!!

Stepping S­tone1295555484.473752 PostsRegistered 4/8/2010AL

I have had good luck with the giant daylilies that I ordered from Robertas. There were 4 diff. colors and they have multiplied several times over. Of course, daylilies are easy to grow. I also got the climbing lily. It is quite beautiful.

Last edited on 1/20/2011

Last edited on 1/20/2011

Stepping Stone

Schnapside­en1295555696.911308 PostsRegistered 5/19/2006

I have had the same experience. Only one miniature rose survived. The miniature blue berry bushes haven't bloomed in four years. The plants came nearly dead, etc. What a waste. Going locally from now on.

~Tiger Lil­y~1295571579.1073574 PostsRegistered 12/26/2007*FrOm OuTeR SpAcE*

I never had any luck with Q's plants.

~~Bullet with Butterfly Wings~~

*And someone will say what is lost can never be saved*
*And I still believe that I cannot be saved*

golden mar­iposa1295573262.761413 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007

No luck here either. I would never order plants from QVC again. CF daylilies all died. They did send replacements but they sent some cheapo daylilies that you can buy at WalMart so I complained and they sent replacements the next year but they were DOA so I finally just gave up. I will support my local nursery and pick out what I want.

"In order to be irreplaceable; one must always be different. " Coco Chanel

JEH1295623684.673133 PostsRegistered 3/31/2010

I've overall had pretty good success with both of these companies, but of course, so haven't worked, but I've always got a refund or a replacement. My best buys have been the HUGE perennial hibiscus (had for several years and are a wonder to behold), daylilies, the climbing roses, and the miniature roses. I've had trouble with the hydrangeas -- not very many blooms or no blooms at all even after five years. I like to get the things I can't find in my area, and usually these are much healtier than locally unless you get a very established plant and pay the higher price.

luvdablues1295623969.93427 PostsRegistered 9/2/2010
On 1/16/2011 WSfan said:

I do like to watch the Cottage Farms programs. Don't order, but in my opinion, Philip is a wealth of information. I can find similar plants at my local nursery for less.

I like to watch the garden shows too. I bought a few things over the years without much sucess. I only buy locally now.

purrmom1295736727.6333399 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

I've had pretty good luck with Cottage Farms, not so much with Roberta's. Even when I'm not buying, I love to watch the shows. I feel I learn so much from Phillip.

imxpnsive1295737585.0031026 PostsRegistered 6/5/2010

I also enjoy the shows very much, especially Phillip. I even bought his book. But I have made my final purchase. I feel I need to support my local nursery. My Cottage Farms purchases have not done anything. However, Cottage Farms is replacing my day-lilly's this March.....how do day-lilly's die???? I've made my last excuse for the plants.......wish I could order Phillip though.....

DiAnne1296501985.8235470 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

I also spent a pile of money on CF a few years ago and almost nothing lived. I live in Seattle and I think that is part of the problem. We have a very short growing season and it never gets really hot like the Midwest would. Having said that I know I will order something from the Q because I have never met a plant I did not like! I cannot leave a nursery without a purchase. I am trying to buy local.

retrievero­wner1296503783.5161 PostsRegistered 1/14/2011

We bought from Roberta's and most of them died but maybe one or two. They were supposed to send replacements and we never received them. I won't even watch Roberta's. I have never purchased anything from Cottage Farms, but I feel that Phillip is very knowlegeable and he is interesting to listen to. Phillip said they supply nurseries all over the country with their plants, so the ones you are buying from your local nursery may have come from CF.

Page 1 of 2