Spring & Summer Beauty
94 Members and 14332 Guests Online

In the Garden

What to do with my Plumeria for Fall/Winter?

Started 1287455752.467 in In the Garden | Last reply 1289680877.697 by Katharita
replies

Hello all,

I came home from Hawaii in January of this year with a Plumeria stick. I almost forgot about it(have a hectic schedule). In April when the weather got warmer, I just took it out of it's wrapper and quickly shoved it in a pot with some ivy that was sitting on my bookcase with access to good sunlight. Thought I would properly plant it outside it in a week or two. Then forgot about it.

Well I'll be darned, that thing flourished INSIDE(it's supposed to be an outdoor plant). It grew several leaves and seems happy. Now it's Fall. Will it be ok in the same spot for the winter with the dry heat inside? How often should I water it?

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 1
Orchids4me1287463155.551121 PostsRegistered 2/5/2008VA and CA

Glad you were able to get one of those "stick" plumeria that you brought back from Hawaii to grow - I never could. However, someone gave me one a couple years old that she had planted and had leaves, and my husband bought another one in a pot with foliage at a nursery.

Don't know where you live, but in No. CA we can have some pretty cold nights in the winter. The person who gave us one puts hers (she has several) in the garage for the winter and watered it occasionally. So I did the same with ours last winter, then brought them back outside when out nights were above 50 degrees. They need to be in a mostly sunny spot. Well, the one she gave us died and the other one survived and had leaves again this year. Each year when it is in foliage the "stick" grows a few inches and it won't flower for a few years, probably not until it is about two feet or so.

Just be aware that they lose all their leaves every year when the weather turns cool, which is normal, so don't think that it is dead. As long as the "stick" remains firm it is still alive. If the "stick" gets squishy and feels hollow, it is dead. I would not think it would do well inside during the fall/winter months because of the dry heat.

So that is as much as I know about plumeria. Maybe if you research on line you can find more info.

Good luck.

lowmainten­ancegal1287463411.21931 PostsRegistered 9/3/2007

Thank you Orchids4me. I also live in Northern Ca.

gardenman1287492932.1515918 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I bought some plumeria through the Q a few years ago and what I do is bring them inside and drop them in a coolish, dark area and forget them until spring. They'll drop the leaves and appear dead, but come spring they'll start growing again (once you resume watering them.) I do nothing at all to mine over the winter. No watering at all. They just go into a dark corner and live out the winter there. Once it gets warm (hot really) they go back out into the yard in full sun and they thrive under those conditions, then back inside for the fall/winter/early spring.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Orchids4me1287506427.0131121 PostsRegistered 2/5/2008VA and CA
On 10/19/2010 gardenman said:

I bought some plumeria through the Q a few years ago and what I do is bring them inside and drop them in a coolish, dark area and forget them until spring. They'll drop the leaves and appear dead, but come spring they'll start growing again (once you resume watering them.) I do nothing at all to mine over the winter. No watering at all. They just go into a dark corner and live out the winter there. Once it gets warm (hot really) they go back out into the yard in full sun and they thrive under those conditions, then back inside for the fall/winter/early spring.

How tall are your plumeria and have they flowered yet?

gardenman1287522776.51315918 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

My two big ones were over four feet tall and both were flowering, but they weren't terribly impressive and last fall I let them die off and kept some smaller cuttings. I'm afraid I only have so much room to keep plants and the plumeria were just getting too big. The smaller ones haven't flowered yet, but I didn't expect them to this year. Next summer they should start flowering if they behave like the older ones did.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

Orchids4me1287525485.121121 PostsRegistered 2/5/2008VA and CA
On 10/19/2010 gardenman said:

My two big ones were over four feet tall and both were flowering, but they weren't terribly impressive and last fall I let them die off and kept some smaller cuttings. I'm afraid I only have so much room to keep plants and the plumeria were just getting too big. The smaller ones haven't flowered yet, but I didn't expect them to this year. Next summer they should start flowering if they behave like the older ones did.

Wow, that is impressive! The friend that gave me the one that I killed, also has a couple that are 4 ft. tall and she doesn't know what to do with them 'cause they live in a condo so they are getting too large for their patio. I would love to take them, but I don't want to kill them after she nurtured them for a few years. Last I heard she was thinking of giving/selling them to a nursery. I hope I can get my one survivor to last a year or two til it flowers.

shopsamant­ha1289268688.2174 PostsRegistered 11/8/2010

Plummie people yay! I'm a Plummie Lover currently have about 180 many over 8 - 9 ft tall and fabulous. It's Nov in NW Fl and there are many still blooming and many more with inflo's getting ready to bloom if our weather holds the blooms will be beautiful. Adopt your friends Plummies if you want you'll do fine. Where do you live, unless it gets really cold in the 40's for many hours at a time mine are usually fine. I built a greenhouse out of wood and plastic over the dryer vent for added heat LOL and they love it. Just a simple thing but works wonders. They will do okay in the house or a cool dark spot and pretty much ignore them over the winter and come spring they will come back to life like magic! They don't like to be very wet so little water during the winter if at all. Hope this helps, hang in there because the blooms are so beautiful and every bloom has its own scent.

JMINNY1289680604.972233 PostsRegistered 7/6/2006N.Y.

I have two and they leafed out nicely this year...However, one of them feels spongy so I think it's a goner....the other one seems ok...I just moved them inside..

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.

I am a WEN girl, a Geller girl, a Mallinista, and proud of it!!!

Katharita1289680877.6936580 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008Hooterville, Texas

I agree with how gardenman cares for his. I give mine one last watering, then move it into the garage for the winter. I give it no care at all during that time.

I move it back out when night time temps are above 50 and start caring for it.

Plumeria will do better if they have a dormant period.

When you have a new stick, the plant will devote itself to growth and branching more than flowering for the first few years. After about the third year, you'll start getting much more flowering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrowmindedness."- Mark Twain ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 1