Fashion Special Offers
117 Members and 12970 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Help, how to remove spaghetti & sauce from white carpeting!!!!

Started 1275881186.903 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1276175372.23 by mlw42
replies

My grandaughter accidentally dropped an entire plate full of spaghetti on the dining room off white carpeting earlier this evening. You ladies have always had great tips, ideas, suggestions, etc..........don't let me down now. TIA

Page 1 of 1
rainynights1275891390.91753 PostsRegistered 1/22/2006

I found this article:

"How to Clean Ketchup, Pasta Sauce, or Barbecue Sauce off a Carpet"

and this is another from Good Housekeeping:

Carpet

1. Mix one tablespoon of liquid hand dishwashing detergent with two cups of cool water.

2. Using a clean white cloth, sponge the stain with the detergent solution.

3. Blot until the liquid is absorbed.

4. If the stain remains, mix one tablespoon of ammonia (Caution: Never mix chlorine bleach and ammonia - the resulting fumes are hazardous) with 1/2 cup of cool water.

5. Sponge the stain with the ammonia solution.

6. Blot until the liquid is absorbed.

7. Sponge with cold water and blot dry to remove the ammonia solution.

For more on stain removal, see Good Housekeeping's Stain Rescue

Here is another method I found on eHow.com:

Step 1

Mix a little dish soap with 2 cups of cold water. Wet the cloth with the mixture. Dab at the spaghetti sauce stain until it starts to fade; this may take more than one attempt.

Step 2

Mix together 1 tsp. of ammonia and 1/2 cup of cold water; soak a sponge in the solution. Gently dab the spaghetti sauce stain with the solution to remove the stain.

Step 3

Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda onto the spaghetti sauce stain; spray some hot water on top. Scrub the stain with a brush; leave it to dry. Vacuum the spot once it is dry.

Step 4

Pour some salt onto the spaghetti sauce stain. Rub it in with a stiff brush. Pour club soda on top of the salt. Once dry, vacuum the area and dab with warm water.

Step 5

Borrow or hire a carpet steam cleaner to clean the spaghetti sauce stain. For extra tough spaghetti sauce stains, you might want to spray some ammonia and water mixed together on the stain before using the carpet cleaner. If this fails, consider hiring a professional carpet cleaning company

Good luck!

mlw421275926593.87818 PostsRegistered 1/12/2009

Rainynights, thanks sooooo much for the info you forwarded.......we'll get on that stain immediately...........I knew someone on these boards would have an answer. Enjoy your day & thanks again.

Have6cats1275928183.73372 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

Rainy nights....I have the answer. You need an Oxy (hydrogen peroxide) cleaner.

I use OUT!..OXY-FAST Stain and odor remover. The white plastic spray bottle says, "oxidizing power makes pet stains and odors disappear...AND BELIEVE ME, IT DOES!

I only have carpeting ( off-white) in one room, and without fail, when one of my 6 cats has to puke, they head right for the off-white carpet...gotta LOVE that!

Recently, my DH cut his arm and dripped blood on my off-white carpet, gotta LOVE that, too! I was stunned how fast it completely removed the stain.

I have used MANY products and this is without a doubt, the MOST effective product, I have ever tried. It's GREAT stuff!

If, it's an emergency and you don't want to take the time to get the product, I suppose you could try straight peroxide, but I would test a small spot in an inconspicuous area, first.

Hope this helps.

Cats

Walmart in the pet section.

~SunDee~1275929210.7739683 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

I have gotten RED nail polish out of tan carpet with, dawn dish soap( has to be dawn) mixed with peroxide. 50/50 mix. Use a soft brush scrub and rinse a few times, pat dry. hope this works for you.

Happiness is about the temporary
Joy is about the eternal!!!

Have6cats1275930123.86372 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

SORRY,

What good is it if you don't know where to get it!

Forgot to tell you that the Oxy-Fast can be purchased at Walmart in the pet section, it's about 4 bucks for the 24 fl oz bottle.

HTH

Cats

rainynights1275938086.007753 PostsRegistered 1/22/2006

mlw42, you're welcome; I hope it works for you. If not, you might try Have6cats' suggestion. Peroxide is a great cleaner.

Have6cats, I have cats (indoor only) too and I know what you mean about hairballs. A while back, I bought a Bissell SpotBot and that is what I use for those little incidents. It came with a bottle of regular Bissell cleaning fluid and a bottle of OxyGen2 (which contains a peroxide mix, I believe). It is so nice to just put the SpotBot on the stain and let it do the work!

afshan, you're welcome too!

esmeraldag­ooch1275991338.3211801 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

Qvc used to sell this product and may still. Works great on the toughest stains. Pet stains, Red koolaide and a cup of black coffee on my white rug. http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Campanellis-Remover-Professional-Formula/dp/B000VNNIF0

People are meant to be loved and things are designed to be used. The problem today is, things are being loved and people are being used. Lets change that.... G.Beck

mlw421276175372.23818 PostsRegistered 1/12/2009

Ladies, you're simply amazing..............thanks for all of your suggestions, product names, etc. It saved my daughter's carpeting. These forums are the best!!!!!

Page 1 of 1