Holidays at Home
153 Members and 10980 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Accent colors for a gold sofa

Started 1271868024.547 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1271889089.263 by poregirl
replies

I'm looking to "summer up" my mid-century den/TV room.  The most dominant piece of furniture in the room is a dark gold chenille-type textured sofa,the floors are hardwood oak and the walls are light knotty pine.  The room has lots of natural light.  My neighbor suggested a light aqua blue throw for the sofa and the color looks great.  What kind of pillows do I want, print or solid?  What other color could I add in splashes to the room. The room is about 12' by 14'.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Page 1 of 1
bopper1271873426.95714081 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007

What if you mixed in ivory with the aqua, are there any other patterned furniture in the room?  Do you have an area rug or a throw run over the floors?  Just trying to picture the room.  I like mixing prints with solids, for texture.

DeltaOne1271884083.1232173 PostsRegistered 12/19/2006

I think adding prints would look good, also.  I don't like just solid colors in a room.  I'd look for toss pillows with different shades of the aqua blue, ivory, yellow/gold, taupe/brown.  Or an area rug with these colors.  Home Decorators.com has a great selection of area rugs.

maddiecat1271884695.885511 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006

My Sweetie has a gold damask sofa in his formal living room (sold to him by the previous owners of his home).  He has a formal accent chair (with ball & claw feet) in a red pattern next to the sofa.  It may sound strange, but it works.  Everyone notices and raves about that chair!

Since you're planning to use aqua, I like the idea of adding navy and brown.  

Black accents might also be striking with the aqua and gold (leave out the navy and brown).

lovesrecess1271884807.03713721 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

I worked with a decorator to get my LR updated:

I have a similar color scheme in my living room....I just re-did it...used light aqua for a throw and some butterfly print pillows....the wings are the same blue as the throw...used black as my base color for a basket on the white-painted fireplace and pale gold silk panels from pottery barn....also added a zebra-print planter and footstool. Gold, black, aqua, a little white. Very fresh and pretty.

She also suggested apple-green accents and also red (used to have red and am very tired of it)

hope this helps; sounds like you are on the right track! The main thing that matters is...do YOU like it?

Nightowlz1271885993.259626 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

My sister has a sofa in a gold color that has greens & burgandy in it. It's a really nice sofa & love the colors.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

poregirl1271889089.267353 PostsRegistered 10/12/2009great white north

rusty red

‎Enough with the animal testing. Shame on you L'oreal, Olay ,Cover Girl, Revlon, Maybelline, Neutrogena.Avon

" Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

Page 1 of 1