Christmas in July(R) Sale
145 Members and 14297 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Self-Cleaning the Oven

Started 1337996470.173 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1338740009.53 by chickenbutt

My roomie messed up my oven when he made biscuits - tons of stains and sticky. I have a GE self-cleaning oven but never used this feature. I googled info about it - and read that it would take at least 3 hours. Have any of you done this --- was it a messy job - and how does the oven look afterward.

Page 1 of 2
Sister Gol­den Hair1337997062.03714257 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

It is very easy and you will just have ashes when it is done. You do need to take the racks out first and you will have to clean those yourself. It sure beats the old days of that nasty spray and scrubbing. Once it starts, it locks and you won't be able to open it. When it is done, you just wipe it out.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

twopeas1337997843.4634304 PostsRegistered 6/5/2011PNW

Wouldn't be without my self cleaning oven. Three hours sounds about right if it is a big mess and you haven't cleaned it before. I do mine every month or so and it only needs a couple of hours if you keep to a routine. You will love, love, love this feature once you use it.

If you always tell the truth you will never have to try and remember what you said before .....

Diamonds221338001044.5471830 PostsRegistered 6/1/2007
On 5/25/2012 twopeas said:

Wouldn't be without my self cleaning oven. Three hours sounds about right if it is a big mess and you haven't cleaned it before. I do mine every month or so and it only needs a couple of hours if you keep to a routine. You will love, love, love this feature once you use it.

ITA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diamonds22

JeanLouise­Finch1338009311.85310249 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

I wouldn't be without the self-cleaning feature on my oven.

It is very easy, but be warned that if it's in really bad shape the cleaning could create some smoke and set off your smoke alarm. Also, the oven has to heat up super hot to bake off the crud so turn up the air conditioning or it's going to get pretty warm in the house. Also, in addition to removing the racks, be sure to remove anything from on top of the stove or in the very immediate area that could get damaged from the heat. I don't know who did it, but one time someone (or me) wasn't paying attention and left plastic (Tupperware or Rubbermaid) bowl on top of the range and the excessive heat warped the side.

Another word or warning - leave the oven alone and let the cycle complete on its own. When you begin the cycle, the oven door will lock and that lock will not release until the oven has cooled down. Don't try to force the door open to speed things up or you'll break it. At the end of the cycle you'll have a powdered ash left behind and that's easily wiped out.

I think once you're done you're going to be sold on the self-cleaning feature, too.

Let us know how it goes.

happy hous­ewife1338054428.7929991 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I too have a GE self cleaning oven. Make sure to take everything out of the oven - and before you go to bed set it to clean. When you wake up it will be cleaned and cooled down so you can open it. There will just be some ashes there for you to wipe off and that is all. Since this will be the first time you use the self clean feature you may get some odors from it - I would close the bedroom doors because of that. You will be very glad you have this feature.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

caligrl1338054859.0979049 PostsRegistered 7/17/2008

I never take out the racks, I clean mine once a month, I also put the burner trays from the stove-top in the oven. They look brand new!

danni rose1338055871.122552 PostsRegistered 5/14/2011

if this is the first time you've done this, there will be an odor. i also remove my racks every time as it keeps the chrome looking bright and doesn't dull them if you keep them inside during the cleaning. like the other poster stated, there may be some ash. just slightly wet a paper towel and easy to wipe up.

i know my instructions told me to open my windows the first time and if you have any pets, remove them from the area during the cleaning, if possible.

McPeake1338056612.3885 PostsRegistered 3/12/2010

I cleaned my oven by way of the self-cleaning option. It is new so it was not too dirty; but it did not get the glass door clean. Does anyone know something that will clean the inside door? TIA for any info.

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds, if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon" ~ Doug Larsen

regalann1338057012.177248 PostsRegistered 1/14/2012

My GE recommended having a window open since there might be an odor while cleaning. I'm in S Fl and chose a day that wasn't too hot, turned off thr AC and opened windows. Glad I did because there was an odor. It went away after the cleaning was over. That was the first time I cleaned it and I was very impressed.

After reading this, I think I might just clean mine today.

kivah1338094912.9673413 PostsRegistered 7/21/2008oxnard, CA

thanks so much ladies. I'll attempt to clean my oven in a couple of days.

suzyQ31338158453.03724222 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 5/26/2012 McPeake said:

I cleaned my oven by way of the self-cleaning option. It is new so it was not too dirty; but it did not get the glass door clean. Does anyone know something that will clean the inside door? TIA for any info.

I always wipe the window and around the gasket before I set the cycle, but yes, the window does not get very clean. I wait until it's cool enough, and when I wipe out any ash in the oven, I also take a microfiber sponge that has a scrubby side and use it. I can get pretty much all of the grease or whatever it is off just with that sponge.

I'm in the minority, but like one other poster, I don't remove the racks either. I know that the cleaning cycle will darken them, but c'est la vie. Self-cleaning for me means just that. Smile

"We need science, and we need humanity. Without these we will revisit the Dark Ages"

The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion -- Arnold H. Glasow

McPeake1338160734.48785 PostsRegistered 3/12/2010
On 5/27/2012 suzyQ3 said:

I always wipe the window and around the gasket before I set the cycle, but yes, the window does not get very clean. I wait until it's cool enough, and when I wipe out any ash in the oven, I also take a microfiber sponge that has a scrubby side and use it. I can get pretty much all of the grease or whatever it is off just with that sponge.

I'm in the minority, but like one other poster, I don't remove the racks either. I know that the cleaning cycle will darken them, but c'est la vie. Self-cleaning for me means just that. Smile

Thank you for the info.

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds, if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon" ~ Doug Larsen

happy hous­ewife1338163622.12329991 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I always leave the racks in the oven when I clean it. When I used to have a stove with those little pans under the burners I would put them in there too.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

imaclothes­hog1338204750.21721219 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

{#emotions_dlg.scared}You must be very young, OP! You should try cleaning an oven without the self cleaning feature, we used to have those!!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

It's no big deal, just turn on your oven to clean, it locks, it gets really hot, and it does take about 3-4 hours. Then you have to wait to let the oven cool off (I wait overnight) then the next morning, I take a damp cleaning towel and wipe out the ash from the inside of the oven.

Last edited on 5/28/2012

Last edited on 5/28/2012

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

KatCat11338210060.8716573 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

You can clean with soapy water on a sponge then wipe off and use Sparkle or Windex.

GoodStuff1338220164.4414344 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Yes, take out the racks, open the windows or turn on your A/c and vent hood, start the clean cycle, and leave your oven alone for the whole cleaning cycle. I usually wipe the oven out (don't scrub) with a damp cloth before I start the automatic cleaning just to clear out any excessive puddled grease or loose crumbs to cut down on smoke and burnt smell. When you open the oven door at the end of the cycle, you won't believe that all the burned on goop has been reduced to a little sift of clean white ash in the bottom of the oven! Wipe that out with a damp cloth, put the racks back in.......and you're good to go.

I would never, ever be without my self-cleaning oven! A great invention!

I actually have two ovens, one self-cleaning, one not. I use the non-self-cleaning oven to heat bread or other non-splattery things and use the self-cleaning oven for messy jobs.

Last edited on 5/31/2012

Last edited on 5/31/2012

NorskyGal1338221052.557353 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern Plains

I've heard of people seeing flames inside their oven during the self-cleaning process!! Is this a possibility?

NorskyGal

suzyQ31338222071.8224222 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 5/28/2012 NorskyGal said:

I've heard of people seeing flames inside their oven during the self-cleaning process!! Is this a possibility?

Yes. One time my husband had made something in the oven that caused some grease spatter on the bottom. So he set the cycle. At some point we did see flames. It freaked me out. We didn't know what to do because you cannot open the door.

But of course, we ran to google this and discovered that it is not uncommon and that the flames will die out. Even if you could open the door, that would probably be the worst thing to do.

And the flames did die out. From now on, we know to wipe any recent grease off before starting the cleaning process.

"We need science, and we need humanity. Without these we will revisit the Dark Ages"

The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion -- Arnold H. Glasow

CLEM1338582312.44712511 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008PA

I just finished cleaning my oven. It took 3 1/2 hours. Before I started, I cleaned the glass part in the oven door using Citrusafe Cooktop & Oven Cleaner which I had gotten from QVC a few years ago. The glass came out very clean.

I remember there were quite a few negative reviews for this product. I have used it previousely only for my glasstop oven and it worked like a charm. I spray the surface and let it sit for a while; then just wipe off. Works very well. I have also used it to clean those filter things that are below the microwave above the cooking surface. Had not done those in a few years and they were yucky. They came out looking like new. You just have to drench them and let them sit for a bit.

QVC no longer sells this item, but I have seen it on Amazon.

I also used it on the oven liner that I bought from QVC and that came out clean and ready to use again. The oven liner is at the bottom of my oven below the heating element and has been for years.

Before I cleaned the oven, I got out the instruction manual and followed the steps recommended.

Grangie1338639142.37631 PostsRegistered 10/20/2006
I have only done the self cleaning once and it didn't get everything off! Should I just run it again or clean the part that didn't turn into ash with oven cleaner! TIA!

StylishLady1338640436.7133885 PostsRegistered 11/25/2009Florida

I've never been impressed with them. The flames are way too scary. Last time I had the technician disable it. I use liners in the bottom and clean it on a regular basis. Works for me.

TN halfback1338641532.472690 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

I made the mistake once (only ONCE) of not wiping up the grease off the bottom & ended up with a fire. Worse yet it was a built in oven. Scared the h*ll out of me. Somehow, after the initial panic, I ran & shut off the circuit breaker to stop the process.

I always leave the racks in even though they tell you not to. So glad the Easy-Off days are gone. That was one brutal task!

Southern F­ried Chick1338671055.0337020 PostsRegistered 11/17/2007

I used to have one and loved it. Just do it once a month in order for it not to get all gunky. Wish I still had one.

NuTeacher1338673879.4232350 PostsRegistered 7/1/2010
I love this feature of my GE stove. The first time I used the process, however, we thought the cabinets were going to burst into flame because the oven get super hot! But, wow, 3.5 hours later, that clean oven was a beautiful thing! I used a damp microfiber cloth to remove the ash residue. It was so easy. I remember back in the day my Mom having to use Easy-Off --- horrible chemicals.... I only use the feature about 3 - 4 times per year.

TN halfback1338679292.422690 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

I don't know if you all know this or not but on every self-cleaning oven I've had, you can change the clean time. When you turn on the clean cycle most of them default to either 3 or 3.5 hours. On the one I have now, I can arrow down to 2.5 hours, that's the most time I've ever needed.

I know all ovens are different so you'll have to check yours out. That extra hour uses a LOT of electricity.

That's my helpful hint of the day....Love, Heloise lol

Page 1 of 2