Shoes & Handbags Offers
152 Members and 10945 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

I've run out of ideas on this one

Started 1330259266.41 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1330460850.907 by BigBro6

I need to find a cleaner for kitchen cupboard doors. After years of probably a grease build up, and not real wood (my guess) I can't find a cleaner that doesn't strip off some of the finish on these doors. The house was built in the 1960's so it's a challange. Any ideas of how to clean and not ruin these cupboard doors would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Your mind is your garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
Author unknown.

Page 1 of 1
TN halfback1330260591.2732691 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

A while back someone asked about this also. The best thing to use is hot water & cheap Lemon Ammonia. Nothing cuts grease better. It's all I use to clean the cabinets & everything else in the kitchen. Also great on bathroom tile where 1/2 of my hairspray seems to end up. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

If you have sensitive skin, I recommend wearing rubber gloves. Make sure you stand back when pouring the ammonia, it's some very strong stuff.

lynnzzz1330260597.623520 PostsRegistered 9/4/2008
2 things may work. I find Dawn dish soap is great for grease. Or, I have a Haan handheld steamer I love and I have used it in the kitchen to remove grease!

happy hous­ewife1330268376.1630797 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I wash my kitchen cupboards weekly with dawn dish soap and they stay nice and clean. I would think that after 50+ years if they are not regularly cleaned you would be unlikely to get them clean now without damaging them.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

AuntG1330285181.486140 PostsRegistered 1/31/2009Wisconsin
On 2/26/2012 morning lover said:

I wash my kitchen cupboards weekly with dawn dish soap and they stay nice and clean. I would think that after 50+ years if they are not regularly cleaned you would be unlikely to get them clean now without damaging them.

Your house must be spotless. I've used Murphy's Oil to clean my cabinets when we sold our home a few years back.

happy hous­ewife1330290913.8530797 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I have found that Murphy's oil soap makes wood that is very dirty very sticky. I learned the hard way years ago when we bought a 20 year old camper that had been stored ion a barn for years.I wanted to clean the wood paneling so I could paint it but instead of getting clean it just got sticky and i had to sand it so I could paint it.

In our previous home we had a all wood entryway - oak - it was a split entry home and that entryway was a landing with steps that went up to the LR and down to the basement.The wall between the entry and the LR was actually a oak railing. I found the very best way to keep that area clean was to simply wipe it weekly with hot water and dawn dish washing soap. Then dry. Once QVC brought out the black super cloths that you would not have to dry after it became easier.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

pickysue1330291536.127860 PostsRegistered 1/2/2010

Try using TSP (find it at your local store in the paint section) then after cleaning use cabinet cleaner - works great on walls etc.

GoodStuff1330292578.83314657 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Weekly?!! Holy smokes, girl. I get around to cleaning kitchen cabinets every decade or so.

GoodStuff1330292674.97714657 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

My kitchen cabinets are painted white, not stained. Can I use ammonia and hot water on those, too, without removing the paint?

TN halfback1330293385.0072691 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008
On 2/26/2012 GoodStuff said:

My kitchen cabinets are painted white, not stained. Can I use ammonia and hot water on those, too, without removing the paint?

I'd hate to be responsible for giving bad advice so try an inconspicuous spot first but I'd say yes. I truly do use it for everything in the kitchen. Have washed down painted walls without a problem so I don't see why you couldn't do your cabinets.

You don't need a lot. Maybe 1/2 C. per 2 gallons.

DaniM1330410500.41889 PostsRegistered 1/25/2009
On 2/26/2012 TN halfback said:

I'd hate to be responsible for giving bad advice so try an inconspicuous spot first but I'd say yes. I truly do use it for everything in the kitchen. Have washed down painted walls without a problem so I don't see why you couldn't do your cabinets.

You don't need a lot. Maybe 1/2 C. per 2 gallons.

Try simple green!

Rock_chick1330429644.38565 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas

I use Greased Lightning and it works spectacularly! Found it when I was cleaning houses and I use it in the kitchen and on DH's greasy clothes in the laundry.

With hope and heart, Kathleen ♥ ♥ ♥
Joy is a net of love in which you can catch souls. ~ Mother Teresa

Mox ie1330435306.4675221 PostsRegistered 7/16/2010
On 2/28/2012 Rock_chick said:

I use Greased Lightning and it works spectacularly! Found it when I was cleaning houses and I use it in the kitchen and on DH's greasy clothes in the laundry.

I second greased lightning. I only can find it at Ace Hardware and I buy it by the gallon. I use it on almost everything. I recently cleaned some of my lower cabinets, and you know how much grime gets caught on the top of those cabinets from cleaning the counters. I sprayed the cabinets, walked a way for a few minutes and came back and wiped them down and it looked like I just installed brand new cabinets. Amazing stuff.

When someone tells you that you have changed, it simply means you have stopped living your life their way.

Rock_chick1330441744.5638565 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas
On 2/28/2012 moxieee said:
On 2/28/2012 Rock_chick said:

I second greased lightning. I only can find it at Ace Hardware and I buy it by the gallon. I use it on almost everything. I recently cleaned some of my lower cabinets, and you know how much grime gets caught on the top of those cabinets from cleaning the counters. I sprayed the cabinets, walked a way for a few minutes and came back and wiped them down and it looked like I just installed brand new cabinets. Amazing stuff.

They carry it here at the Dollar General, and sometimes I find it at Walmart. I don't remember where I bought the gallon but I love that I can spray down DH's shirt fronts (he is a maintenance man and gets quite dirty sometimes) and leave it for a while, then wash and the stain is gone.

I've gotten movie popcorn butter on my jeans before and had to spray and wash a couple times but it got the grease out even after drying the stain in.

Cabinets can get so nasty and it gets the gunk right off.

With hope and heart, Kathleen ♥ ♥ ♥
Joy is a net of love in which you can catch souls. ~ Mother Teresa

happy hous­ewife1330454164.630797 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

Weekly?!! Holy smokes, girl. I get around to cleaning kitchen cabinets every decade or so.

I have a nice pretty new home and will have to live here til I die so I will do whatever to keep it nice and new for as long as possible. I rarely cleaned the cabinets in my first house and they looked it - after I had the kitchen remodeled I started washing the cabinets every week and 10 years later when we sold that house they still looked new.It only takes about 15 min. to do them all.

BigBro61330460850.9072728 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Lafayette New Jersey

Thanks ladies, I was just thinking about cleaning my oak cabinets in my bathrooms and kitchen. Now I have an answer...I always used Murphys Oil too, but the last time it didnt do a great job. My other house, maybe the quality was better but, Murphys Oil did a wonderful job. Will try suggestions !

Page 1 of 1