Guaranteed Delivery
124 Members and 16938 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Longaberger baskets anyone?

Started 1327448078.07 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1328288138.453 by B2wife

Just wondering if anyone still collects Longaberger baskets. 20 years ago I used to buy baskets from a "consultant" at Tupperware-type parties. My daughter-in-law lived in Zanesville, Ohio, near where the baskets were made, so I received many invites to Longaberger parties. Has the troubled economy sent that company to basket heaven? Their baskets were excellent quality but pricey, especially with the fabric liners and plastic protectors. I still use one of the wastebaskets and a couple of the small baskets. QVC carried a line of similar baskets several years ago--Peterboro baskets. Quality wasn't as good as Longaberger, but Peterboro prices were much more reasonable.

Page 1 of 2
StaciesMom1327452882.563767 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010

I collected Longaberger baskets back in the '90's. They are so expensive now, I wouldn't even consider buying one. Also, the husband of a friend of mine was just laid off from Longaberger, he has worked there 22 years and is a weaver. They are now outsourcing the weaving to other countries! They told him that the only way he would ever be called back would be for seasonal work for a very short periods of time. I am so outraged by this. Due to this out-sourcing and the resulting lay-offs, I will never purchase another Longaberger product. Baskets are not a necessity, they are a luxury, and when times are tough people cut back on things that are not absolutley necessary. I think the people who are in charge at Longaberger have let their greed control their decisions for too long. They need to wake up and realize that their products are over-priced. By the way, I live in Dover, Ohio, about 20 minutes away fro Longaberger headquarters.

beach-mom1327453129.589852 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic

Baskets are my thing. My mom gave me a small antique basket with an African violet in it when I left for college. Everyone picked up on the "theme" and I still get them as gifts! I LOVE Longaberger and have quite a few. I like their pottery too - the colors blend with my Fiesta ware. Smile

B2wife1327520539.06122 PostsRegistered 4/7/2006

Hi Ladies,

I have collected Longaberger Baskets for many years, as my two very dear friends sold them, as a team. I have such fond and wonderful memories of going to all of the parties, annual open houses, and trips to the local conventions...FUN, FUN and more FUN!! The baskets are very nice and functional, as well as holding up really well to constant use. I always receive so many compliments on these baskets.

MRS G, That is very sad news and will make me no longer purchase from this line. I had planned to order some pottery for Christmas gifts, and found out that line has already been out sourced some time ago. I decided to order the pottery from an American made company. I so agree with your thoughts on the greed that has taken place since the father passed away. Not to mention all of the other stuff they began to sell. As my grand father used to say, "keep it simple and do it right".

Enjoy to all that have these baskets, B2wife{#emotions_dlg.wub}

traveler1327520724.7411580 PostsRegistered 12/14/2004ALASKA

I collected baskets when my house was decorated in a "country style". Finally decided for me it was a cluttered look so sold or gave away most of it. Kept the quilts and a few bears but not much.

sandy531327521529.483931 PostsRegistered 1/10/2008

My favorite is the square basket with the square pottery baker that fits inside. I use it often. I see Longaberger at lots of garage sales these days, but it is seldom a bargain.

SharonKay1327527100.1273795 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio

I was surprised to see a representative at a craft fair at my church last fall because I thought they were out of business, too. I was really surprised at how expensive they've become.

I have about 5 smallish ones that I bought many moons ago when I collected baskets and used them throughout the house. Frankly, although I really liked the look of them, I always thought they were too expensive and only bought them because a couple of friends and coworkers invited me to parties. Since then, I've gotten much better at saying no when asked to purchase something I don't really want or need.

Just as traveler said before me, my style has changed so I tried to sell a couple of my Longaberger baskets but was not able to get a fair price for them so I decided to just hang onto them for now. My style may change back at some point (it wouldn't be the first time) and they don't take up much space, plus I am using them as catchalls in my office, bedroom and kitchen. I suppose at some point I'll just cut my losses, sell them for a pittance, and move on but I'm not quite at that point yet.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear they have outsourced so much of their labor. I think the baskets and pottery is very pretty but not something I would purchase today.

Get rich quick - count your blessings

QPrincess1327527751.052221 PostsRegistered 5/18/2005

Mrs. G, I do not believe that is correct, about outsourcing the weaving of the baskets. Other items such as pottery, wrought iron and fabrics are outsourced, but not the baskets. They are still woven in Ohio.

carol-lamb1327537392.957538 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have a lot of Longaberger baskets and a few pottery pieces. I still use several of them - one as a catchall for my papers, another one for napkins, one holds my hand lotions by the kitchen sink, a recipe basket, etc. I also have some on display and others I display seasonally. I do have several that I don't do anything with and I often think about getting rid of them. I have never sold anything on ebay, but sometimes I am tempted to list a few and see what happens. I haven't purchased a new one in years and if they are indeed outsourcing the weaving, it kind of takes away from the old fashioned homey feeling of the baskets and I definitely won't be buying any more. I probably wouldn't anyways!

jpie1327537907.8131789 PostsRegistered 7/3/2007

Now there is a Made in America memory that I share. I spent a lot of money about 20+ years ago as well, but still use them today.

Those were the days!

bonnielu1327539029.315908 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I also collected them. I have a few that I use everyday. I have not bought them in years.

stlucy1327540694.323821 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

I was a collector, also. I haven't bought any for years but still have a house full. I wish I would have sold mine when they were at their peak. Now, they practically bring nothing.

WSfan1327542465.092160 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have more than a few Longaberger baskets, and also Peterboro baskets. I use many of them for serving buffet style, and for organization. About 10 years ago my sister, nieces, mom and I visited the Longaberger factory and stores, plus stopped by their basket shaped headquarters. Had a very nice time and was impressed with their operation. If it is true, I am sorry to hear that they too, have outsourced their baskets. Peterboro baskets are still made in the USA. I will continue to enjoy the baskets that I have collected, and have no intention of selling what I have, but don't need to add anymore either.

Sunny Side­Up1327543296.8531176 PostsRegistered 3/1/2011

I use Longaberger baskets in our cabin but never purchased Peterboro baskets. I use them for organization purposes now. It's been years since I have purchased a new one and I don't need another one.

VaBelle351327543616.759815 PostsRegistered 11/19/2004VA suburbs of Washington, DC

I have 4 or 5 and I use them constantly. My favorite is the market basket. I live in a townhouse and keep that on the steps in the middle level. I throw stuff in there all the time to take things up and down the stairs. It's so handy and the best thing I ever bought. It has worn well all these years. I really beat that thing up and put more in it than it probably is supposed to hold sometimes.

QVC Shopper since 1993

circles1327544243.1217865 PostsRegistered 5/11/2005N.J.

I use to buy them all the time...had quite a collection...I have since given them away and only have a few left that I use...

I use to purchase the Peterboro baskets, too....certainly better priced...gave most of them away...also...

I have sized down in my living space...(house to apartment) don't have room for either collection but for a few.....

gunnersmom1327544274.93279 PostsRegistered 1/29/2006Mount Vernon, Ohio

I live around 40 miles from Dresden. I have probably 150 or more baskets and I use them everywhere. I know they have downsized but was not aware that they still did not weave the baskets in Dresden, the pottery is made out of the country and I will not buy that anymore. I used to go down to the Homestead it was a neat place and had a good restaurant but from what I understand that has pretty much closed down. It is sad, I like their baskets better than others.

QPrincess1327595742.272221 PostsRegistered 5/18/2005

All of the baskets are still woven in Ohio. They are not made overseas.

Swedishmiss1327596748.4131326 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009

I stopped buying from them when they started outsourcing some of their products (pottery).

B2wife1327605204.51122 PostsRegistered 4/7/2006
On 1/26/2012 QPrincess said:

All of the baskets are still woven in Ohio. They are not made overseas.

Hi QPrincess,

Did you get this information directly from Longaberger? It sounds like they may be in the process of switching to overseas weavers, per Mrs G's post. Hopefully she will come back and verify this for us.

Kindly, B2wife{#emotions_dlg.wub}

QPrincess1327634552.2772221 PostsRegistered 5/18/2005

Hi B2wife. I hope that Mrs. G does come back on and lets us know if she has any inside information. I'll just say I have been "associated" with Longaberger for about 29 years and I have not heard anything about having the baskets woven overseas. Maybe she has insider information, so I hope that she comes back to clarify for us.

gunnersmom1327677408.257279 PostsRegistered 1/29/2006Mount Vernon, Ohio

I just looked at The Crimson Hill Oval basket I bought and the tag says 9/28/2011 Handwoven in Dresden, Ohio USA. If they ever outsource the weaving, I will not buy any more baskets.

StaciesMom1327678046.05767 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010
On 1/25/2012 QPrincess said:

Mrs. G, I do not believe that is correct, about outsourcing the weaving of the baskets. Other items such as pottery, wrought iron and fabrics are outsourced, but not the baskets. They are still woven in Ohio.

I do know that the husband of a friend of ours was recently "laid-off" after 22 years weaving at Longaberger. He said it is because the business is slow and they are outsourcing much of the weaving.

StaciesMom1327678361.17767 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010

I just called my husband at work and asked him to clarify the situation. He said our friend told him that a lot of the weaving is being outsourced to China in the near future.

Puppy Lips1327678690.5031520 PostsRegistered 11/19/2009

I have a fair number of baskets too. And my rep still sends me the catalogs, because I occassionaly will buy another one, about once a year. They are very expensive, and really, how many baskets do you need? Most of mine are just taking up space, not really being used. A few years back, they had a bunch of jewelry in the catalog to try something new. It was way overpriced, and I never saw it again in a catalog after that. Those items (baskets, jewelry, etc.) are a luxury. I am sorry to hear that some of it is made in other countries.

B2wife1327682709.07122 PostsRegistered 4/7/2006
On 1/27/2012 MRS G said:

I just called my husband at work and asked him to clarify the situation. He said our friend told him that a lot of the weaving is being outsourced to China in the near future.

Oh no MRS G{#emotions_dlg.sad},

That is very sad news! Thank you for coming back to let us know this. I am so sorry that your friend has lost his job. It is one thing to be laid off due to the economy, but then to be laid off because the company has now decided to outsource to China, has got to be heartbreaking. Please tell him thank you for all of the great baskets he made for us and let him know I so appreciated his hard work and quality! Longaberger, IMHO, has made a huge mistake, as I will no longer order any baskets from them. Like I said, I had planned to order Christmas pottery for gifts this year, but changed my mind, when I found out that the pottery was now made in China.

QPrincess, This was not the news I wanted to hear! I guess I will enjoy my American made baskets and pottery. I really believe this decision will be the end of this company. I wonder if Dave would have made this same choice?

Have a great weekend everyone, B2wife{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Page 1 of 2