TSV(R) Preview
44 Members and 12671 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Need Help - Frozen Truck Doors - Ford Ranger

Started 1325168327.467 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1325221501.56 by RASHIKE
replies

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger, and every year when the weather gets freezing, the doors freeze shut. The locks don't freeze, but the doors do and I can't get into the truck. This is very bad because I work nights and when I come out at 7 am, I can't open the doors. The only thing that works at that point is pouring very hot water around the door seals, but I always worry about cracking the glass. I have tried spraying silicone and WD40 around the rubber gasket and metal where the door meets the truck when you shut it but these dont seem to work. Any suggestions? I have thought of trying rubbing vaseline but not sure if there is something that would be tried and true.

Page 1 of 1
Nevadablue1325171303.767454 PostsRegistered 1/18/2008

Buy a Chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

centralNYs­crapper1325173388.023799 PostsRegistered 10/10/2008

@Nevadablue - ROFL - though it is true that I've owned Chevy Silverados and a Toyota Tundra and my doors have never frozen closed. No problems with the locks either.

@bozismydog - I did an Internet search and they did not spray WD40 on the seal, they sprayed it or another silocone spray on a rag and rubbed it on the seal. You could also try a remote starter and warm up the truck for 5 or 10 minutes and see if that helps. I agree, hot water and the cold glass could be a nasty combination.

Some of the links I found are:

video on winterizing your car

several tips for preventing doors from freezing

one post suggested this product, but I think if you force it too much you'll damage the gasket

Good luck!

kitkom1325184398.9735646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Try not to wash your truck when you know its going to get really cold out. My little car does the same thing.

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

Local1325186913.0731512 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006

This may seem like an oversimplistic answer but here goes - if it is only your driver side that freezes turn your truck the other direction when parking. My husband years ago had that problem (and a Chevy by the way) it was from the direction of the winds if they blew snow or rain that froze the door. So he started backing into the driveway so his door faced south and no problem after that.

Now, however, if you aren't having any precipitation it could be another problem. Cold truck, you get in, crank up the heat, moisture inside the truck (coffee maybe?) and then when you park the gasket gets damp and freezes it shut. If that is the case then head to a dealer and have them check it out. And I have heard of putting vaseline or a cooking spray on the door edge.

AnikaBrodie1325192122.58715364 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The NE state of mountains and valleys

DH says try spraying the locks and around the door with windshield de-icer. The de-icer removes ice from the windshield and may work for your problem. Good luck.

If this doesn't work call your mechanic and see what advice he can give you. It could be a damaged door gasket that allows moisture to get in.

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

gardenman1325195527.37317176 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

I've had doors freeze shut on occasion and what works best for me is pushing the door in against the sealing gasket. There's usually a bit of give and all it takes is a bit of give to crack the ice and let you in. If you lean heavily against the closed door you can generally feel it give a bit and hear the ice cracking and then the door typically pops right open. You might have to do the top, middle and bottom to get it open, but pushing the door in generally works for me.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

bozismydog1325198220.587726 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Richmond, VA - transplant from MA
On 12/29/2011 gardenman said:

I've had doors freeze shut on occasion and what works best for me is pushing the door in against the sealing gasket. There's usually a bit of give and all it takes is a bit of give to crack the ice and let you in. If you lean heavily against the closed door you can generally feel it give a bit and hear the ice cracking and then the door typically pops right open. You might have to do the top, middle and bottom to get it open, but pushing the door in generally works for me.

I am laughing when reading this because it is a great idea if only I wasn't 5 ft tall!! If one of my tall coworkers is in the parking lot, this has worked in the past. Maybe I need a shorter car.

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. I think I may try purchasing one of those Free's Ease to keep on my key chain. (I wish I invented this). This year I am living in a house with a garage, so I will only have the trouble when leaving work in the morning. Maybe parking next to the fence at work will help. Thanks again everyone!!

RASHIKE1325221501.56371 PostsRegistered 10/13/2006N. Illinois
Get a silicone lubricant from your local auto supply house. Pep Boys, Auto Zone, o'Reileys. There are products out there that won't deteriorate the gasket material.

Page 1 of 1