TSV(R) Preview
45 Members and 12254 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

steam mop for linoleum floors

Started 1321554738.667 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1321642488.147 by bamamom

I have a ground-in dirty floor (linoleum) and I've been using a floor scrub mop and it's not budging. Yes, it's grimey. Anyone recommend a steam mop? Do you think it would work on my floor? If so which one, why you prefer it and where to purchase?

I'm simply wasting my time and a lot of effort on this floor to no avail.

Many thanks

Page 1 of 1
bamamom1321557549.963979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion

Hi SoutherFriedChick...I have the Hahn from the Q, the original one, and have used it on tile.

I purchased one for my daughter that lives in base housing out in New Mexico. She has that hard commercial square linoleum tile and sheet tile. She called me after she used it the first time and was amazed at how clean her kitchen floor was, the sheet linoleum. My dear son in law decided he needed to take it over and try it on the commercial square stuff. Looked three shades lighter he said.

My daughter in law uses it on her engineered wood floor. I do not, of course mine is only 2 months old so I am still treating it with kid gloves and use the floor cleaner on my hands/knees and cleaning it by hand. I'm sure eventually I will stop babying it and use the Hahn on it as well.

I really like it as do the kids.

Good luck!

PS you can use it on your counter tops and mattresses to disinfect as well, just use a different pad of course Smile

lobstergal1321559188.563786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010

Hi SFC,

I have the Oreck Steam Mop (bought it on the Q). It's a heavier weight than most of the other steam cleaners & does a great job. It's very sturdy & none of that pumping that you have to do with that other brand they sell which IMO would make it break easily or fall apart. If you have dimples etc, deep grout lines, etc, I don't think the flat surface of the steamer alone will totally get that gunk out but it did come with nozzle/brush attachment which would get in those crevices.

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

happy hous­ewife1321565224.01731976 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

You say a linoleum floor - are you sure it isn't a vinyl floor ? i haven't heard of an actual linoleum floor for 50 years. And if it is that old I doubt an atomic bomb would get the dirt out.When I had vinyl floors I was advised NOT to use a steam mop on them as it would damage them.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

onlineshopr1321575147.6133714 PostsRegistered 6/12/2005

Southern Fried Chick,

Been there, done that! If you haven't already I would suggest you think about buying something like Armstrong floor stripper that comes in a quart bottle at Lowe's, etc. Follow directions, give it plenty of time to lift all the grime, and rinse several times with hot water. You might be amazed how much better your floor looks afterward. I usually follow that with Future just to add back a little gloss.

I'm guessing you actually do have vinyl sheet flooring as I do? Everyone around here still calls it linoleum even though we know it isn't the original type linoleum made from linseed oil, from decades ago. Not sure I'd recommend the stripper if you actually DO have the original linoleum.

I have a SteamFast canister steamer from Walmart and I don't recommend it. Doesn't stay hot, etc.

HTH! Smile Those orange-peel dents in some vinyl can be torture to clean!

Last edited on 11/17/2011

Last edited on 11/17/2011

gypsy21321578267.81912 PostsRegistered 5/24/2010

I have vinyl in my kitchen and bathrooms. I bought a steam mop from the Q and it cleaned really well but it left spots on my vinyl that did not go away. If you try it you may want to try it in a small space first.

Southern F­ried Chick1321580521.137176 PostsRegistered 11/17/2007
On 11/17/2011 morning lover said:

You say a linoleum floor - are you sure it isn't a vinyl floor ? i haven't heard of an actual linoleum floor for 50 years. And if it is that old I doubt an atomic bomb would get the dirt out.When I had vinyl floors I was advised NOT to use a steam mop on them as it would damage them.

It probably is a vinyl floor. Don't know why I said linoleum. I guess because that's what my mother and grandmother called it.

Thanks

Southern F­ried Chick1321580756.1877176 PostsRegistered 11/17/2007

Thanks to all of you for your input. I appreciate your time and effort to respond. I'll let you know what I decide to use/do. I just might decide on a new covering...vinyl/carpet.

lobstergal1321581866.473786 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010
On 11/17/2011 gypsy2 said:

I have vinyl in my kitchen and bathrooms. I bought a steam mop from the Q and it cleaned really well but it left spots on my vinyl that did not go away. If you try it you may want to try it in a small space first.

I have a few spots on my hardwood floors from using the steam mop too. It was totally my own fault because although the floor (original wood) is in great condition, it is over 50 yrs old and has never been refinished and the varnish is worn in the high traffic areas. Nobody would notice unless I pointed it out & luckily it's only a couple small spots but just wanted to caution anyone else that might try using a steamer on flooring that isn't sealed well.

Last edited on 11/18/2011

Last edited on 11/18/2011

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

bamamom1321588496.35979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion

DMom67...good reminder. I know the rep. for the Hahn mentions "sealed hardwood" use is okay, but with hardwood I would be very nervous regardless. I guess that is another reason that I'm hesitant to use it on my engineered hardwood floors.

Morninglover...how is your kitchen? Is everything finished and correct?

happy hous­ewife1321624550.66331976 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 11/17/2011 bamamom said:

DMom67...good reminder. I know the rep. for the Hahn mentions "sealed hardwood" use is okay, but with hardwood I would be very nervous regardless. I guess that is another reason that I'm hesitant to use it on my engineered hardwood floors.

The floor they replaced is lovely but we are still waiting for the painters to come - they haven't even contacted us yet. When the flooring guys pulled down the plastic they had taped to the walls they ripped the paint right off with it so there are large areas where there is no paint and we don't have any paint to spot fill it - the entire walls will need to be painted in those areas.They also kicked the wall opposite of the kitchen door with their boots and it has black boot marks all over it.This entire deal has been a disaster. I am still cleaning up dust from some of the corners of the house - thank goodness I got my new Dyson canister vac - it is really getting a workout.DH used it yesterday to clean all the cieling fans and chandeliers.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

bamamom1321642488.147979 PostsRegistered 2/19/2007State of Confusion
On 11/18/2011 morning lover said:
On 11/17/2011 bamamom said:

The floor they replaced is lovely but we are still waiting for the painters to come - they haven't even contacted us yet. When the flooring guys pulled down the plastic they had taped to the walls they ripped the paint right off with it so there are large areas where there is no paint and we don't have any paint to spot fill it - the entire walls will need to be painted in those areas.They also kicked the wall opposite of the kitchen door with their boots and it has black boot marks all over it.This entire deal has been a disaster. I am still cleaning up dust from some of the corners of the house - thank goodness I got my new Dyson canister vac - it is really getting a workout.DH used it yesterday to clean all the cieling fans and chandeliers.

Hi morning lover, Sorry there was additional problems created. It will get better, I've been through it.

So the Dyson Canister vac is doing a great job? I'm still trying to decide if I should get one and give my ball to my daughter. Or just order the hard floor attachment for mine to do the hardwood floors. Oh decisions, decisions.

Page 1 of 1