Back to School
149 Members and 12125 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Is this TSV Duraflame heater expensive to run?

Started 1320591732.59 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1321170342.767 by Spunkyspouts

The presenter said it is "only a quarter a day" which I find confusing. Is this an average cost and for how much use? I had a small heater that oscillated and blew out warm air for room use and I was shocked at my electric bill the following month. The bill was the same as summer AC bills and I was using it for about 10 hours a day in a corner room that is always cold.

Thanks in advance to those who have this item.

Page 1 of 2
FlyingThru1320595112.9932 PostsRegistered 11/6/2011

slh -

The first time I heard them say it costs a quarter a day to operate I thought "oops", but that figure was repeated later this morning. That is wrong! If your electricity costs 10 cents per kilowatt hour as it does here in Minnesota, you would pay 15 cents per hour to run this at the high setting, 1500 watts. Depends on how many hours you operate it as to how this will impact your electric bill. Running it constantly every day would easily add $100 a month. If you used it for less than 2 hours a day THEN it would be correct to say it costs "less than a quarter a day".

Beebo1320595185.5576958 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010

I heard a quarter per hour.

millieshops1320595635.40314490 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

And it has to matter what your kilowatt cost is. I live in a high-cost area for electricity - that quarter an hour probably doesn't even begin to meet my cost. Then again, I look at this kind of thing as something I'd run only when I'm actually in the room where it stands. I don't think it would be economical to let it run non-stop. Just like other electric heaters.

jewelry lvr1320595963.7458 PostsRegistered 10/18/2011

The correct answer is about a quarter an hour, not day. So it would depend on how much you run your heater. I am getting one in bronze. I really like the red one, but it does not go with my decor. I have lavender, green, mocha, etc., so it won't go with those colors.

imaclothes­hog1320596316.1321190 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

Our power and gas is SO expensive here. We have gas logs, but we only use them when it is very cold at night for a few hours. Although I love them, it is SO expensive to turn them on, the gas is so expensive. We have electric heat and so I try to keep the thermostat down to reduce the bill. I think this little heater is yes, just a cute space heater but it's larger and I am hoping for a little more output than the space heaters I currently have. I am also hoping it is quiet; the space heaters I have are pretty loud. I would say it costs as much to run this space heater as it does other space heaters. That's what I am hoping for anyway.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

annabellet­hecat1320596644.18313041 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
Last year I bought this from QVC. It ran ummmm maybe 3 times (each time was for not more than 1 or 2 hours) as I am always hot. The reason I bought this is because I live in a totally electric house. The trees in our neighborhood are Evergreens. This means that they often (at least 2 or more times a year, come down when it snows across the lines. This eleminates the electricity going to my house!! I thought this would work well with the batteries I have that run fans in the summer. NOT!! I mean I never got a chance to try it! It didn't last long enough! I ended up packing it up and sending it back. All of this in less than 1 month! I didn't even have to use the 'extended over until 31 Jan 2012 because it only lasted less than 1 month!! Maybe they've made it better. I buy Duraflame logs, they are great. Or maybe I just got a lemon. Anyway, I'll not uy another one!

annabellet­hecat1320596922.90713041 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
It doesn't matter how Cheap QVC says it costs to run it, the fact is that it doesn't work for more than maybe 3 weeks! If you figure in my problem, maybe then it is cheap to run!

annabellet­hecat132059718913041 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
I forgot to say HSN has something similar made by The Amish. Their ones made of wood made by the Amish. Check them out.

anniebear1320597265.58620 PostsRegistered 3/1/2009

any appliance that generates heat is going to cost more than those that don't. For that reason, I can't really see their claim of a quarter a day as realistic. Might be close is you choose to only use the flame effect and not turn on the heater part. We have a similar one and I use it when it's really cold in the room I am sitting in for 2 or 3 hours at a time simply to take the chill off and it's not impacted our heating bill significantly. Of course we keep our "whole house" heat turned down to as low as we can and still be comfortable and we typically wear sweaters in the house in the winter because of this. It is really nice to have the little stove close by to have a bit of toasty warmth in the evenings though no matter what it costs to use it. And I love a fire in the fireplace so this gives that effect without drafting all the heat we do have in our house up and out the chimney!

imaclothes­hog1320597694.8721190 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
On 11/6/2011 annabellethecat said: Last year I bought this from QVC. It ran ummmm maybe 3 times (each time was for not more than 1 or 2 hours) as I am always hot. The reason I bought this is because I live in a totally electric house. The trees in our neighborhood are Evergreens. This means that they often (at least 2 or more times a year, come down when it snows across the lines. This eleminates the electricity going to my house!! I thought this would work well with the batteries I have that run fans in the summer. NOT!! I mean I never got a chance to try it! It didn't last long enough! I ended up packing it up and sending it back. All of this in less than 1 month! I didn't even have to use the 'extended over until 31 Jan 2012 because it only lasted less than 1 month!! Maybe they've made it better. I buy Duraflame logs, they are great. Or maybe I just got a lemon. Anyway, I'll not uy another one!

{#emotions_dlg.sad}Oh wow annabelle I am sorry to hear that you had so much trouble! They did have a different model last year, this one this year is a new one and the legs are supposed to be taller I heard them say and they made a few other changes. Let's hope they fixed the issues and the new ones work better than yours did last year. I hope so!

imaclothes­hog1320597828.88321190 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
On 11/6/2011 anniebear said:

any appliance that generates heat is going to cost more than those that don't. For that reason, I can't really see their claim of a quarter a day as realistic. Might be close is you choose to only use the flame effect and not turn on the heater part. We have a similar one and I use it when it's really cold in the room I am sitting in for 2 or 3 hours at a time simply to take the chill off and it's not impacted our heating bill significantly. Of course we keep our "whole house" heat turned down to as low as we can and still be comfortable and we typically wear sweaters in the house in the winter because of this. It is really nice to have the little stove close by to have a bit of toasty warmth in the evenings though no matter what it costs to use it. And I love a fire in the fireplace so this gives that effect without drafting all the heat we do have in our house up and out the chimney!

ITA; I am sure they meant a quarter an hour not a day, I think whatever host said that misspoke. I have not called CS but I am guessing they have all that information, if not they should. We are turning down our heat in the house too and putting on another sweater, our power bills were crazy last year.

Last edited on 11/6/2011

Last edited on 11/6/2011

Night Owl ­in NJ1320598051.723601 PostsRegistered 7/7/2010Central New Jersey
On 11/6/2011 Amphitrite said:
On 11/6/2011 anniebear said:

ITA; I am sure they meant a quarter an hour not a day, I think whatever host said that misspoke. I have not called CS but I am guessing they have all that information, if not they should. We are turning down our heat in the house too and putting on another sweater, our power bills were crazy last year.

Last edited on 11/6/2011

Yes, just heard Carolyn say it costs a quarter a DAY... ???

csv3201320598325.216724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

I am so on the fence about the TSV Duraflame electric heater, don't know if the "lightbulb flame" is going to look tacky? It might be something I have to see in person before purchasing.

Beebo1320598495.76958 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010

The cost to run this heater is going to be important to people and you would think that the hosts would know this and get the statisics correct. I can not imagine that it would be 25 cents per day. In the presentation that I was listening to, the vendor was talking about turning down your thermostat by 10 degress to realize savings. In the same presentation, I heard him say 25 cents per day.

slh1320599143.24459 PostsRegistered 10/19/2005NJ (Philly burb)

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm frustrated that the on line information is incorrect (a quarter a day - makes sense that it would be a quarter an hour).

azqfan1320599165.6933510 PostsRegistered 10/24/2004

I thought the interesting fact about this heater is it will only raise the room temp SIX DEGREES! Really more of a decorative item than a heating device.

"The stove can increase the temperature in a 400-square-foot (20' x 20') room by up to a full six degrees. It's the perfect supplemental heat and ambiance for any room in your home."

imaclothes­hog1320599322.05321190 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

Well if it's on high at 1500W, isn't that the same wattage as a blow dryer?

Subject1320599462.77311269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

It is not cost efficient at all.
Turn up the heat!

happy hous­ewife1320599671.05329938 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

These are a resistance electric heater and they are the most expensive way to heat a room. It is like running your toaster and blowing air over it. the "flame" though is only light bulb so that is ok.These heaters are great for a quick heating of a room when it is chilled not for continuous heating all day long.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Bird mama1320600087.949213 PostsRegistered 3/24/2009Michigan

I wondered this myself. I bought an EdenPure smaller heater in 2007 and guess I didn't pay attention to the words 'infrared red'. I put the EdenPure in my family room and didn't run the thing non-stop or anything. After the first month of having the unit and using it on an off, I received my electric bill. It was so high I had to sit down at my kitchen table. It was worse than any A/C bill and was more expensive than if I'd jacked up the thermostat and used my furnace. I packed it away and never used it again. As a matter of fact I recently donated it to the Salvation Army with all of the paperwork. It looked like new.

The experience with the EdenPure is the one thing that stopped me from trying the DuraFlame.

~ bird ~

hopi1320601452.03310804 PostsRegistered 11/26/2006
On 11/6/2011 newport said:

It is not cost efficient at all.
Turn up the heat!

My problem with turning up the heat is that is the upstairs of my home is so warm and the downstairs is cold, I have limestone flooring on the first floor(great in the summer) and woodfloors on the second floor. It seems like I live in two different climate zones. I am going to try this darn thing and hope it helps. I will put in the corner that I have a plant and light and put the plant on topCool

eta:

it will only be used as a warmer when necessary, so probably never more than 3 hours

Last edited on 11/6/2011

Last edited on 11/6/2011

Bird mama1320601878.319213 PostsRegistered 3/24/2009Michigan

Hopi, I have the same problem with my family room only - it's on a slab and it has a fireplace. There's a sub-floor and carpeting, and I've installed a fireplace plug, but this room is still the chilliest in the winter and of course I spend most of my time in it (figures).

If I turn up the heat, I'll end up dehydrating my birds (lol). Please post a review once you use it a while and get your electric bill.

~ bird ~

mamacarol1320603272.191366 PostsRegistered 1/30/2007

Hi Flyinthru welcome to the boards. Have to agree with the price of electricity in Minnesota as I also have high light bills---try not to use the dryer and hang clothes, do not use lights when watching TV at night and I still pay over $65/month. This TSV would really make the light bill go up. I am passing and use my blankets to keep warm.

ShowMe1320610256.8241852 PostsRegistered 9/6/2010Missouri
On 11/6/2011 Beebo said:

I heard a quarter per hour.

I heard that too.....yes, you can expect your electric bill to go up, but if you heat with gas, realize the gas companies increase their rates in the winter months. But, personally I feel 25 cents per hour is quite expensive with all the other things that are costing more today.

Formerly Fluffy329
Proud to be from the St. Louis area and LOVE THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS!
Go Cardinals
Happy Shopping and Don't Spend All Your Money in One Place!!!!!

ShowMe1320610582.7641852 PostsRegistered 9/6/2010Missouri
On 11/6/2011 Amphitrite said:

Well if it's on high at 1500W, isn't that the same wattage as a blow dryer?

Even if it were the same wattage as a blow dryer.....you don't run your blow dryer for 6 hours at a time. Figure $.25 x 6 x 30 days.....that will amount quite high.....and if my calculator is correct (which it is) that totals $45.00/month. That is pretty steep if you ask me.

Formerly Fluffy329
Proud to be from the St. Louis area and LOVE THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS!
Go Cardinals
Happy Shopping and Don't Spend All Your Money in One Place!!!!!

Page 1 of 2