Better Than Black Friday
59 Members and 16046 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Laminate flooring blister? My fault

Started 1265746193 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1266010722 by princess62
replies
I left a double bagged item on my laminate flooring, not realizing it was leaking. Now I have a blister on the seam about two inches wide and five inches long. I am absolutely sick about this. Will it go down? Is there anyway I can press it down?

Page 1 of 1
only shops­ online12657538275626 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006
Sometimes, but not often, it will return to normal by itself. But, if the area is still damp, you may be able to flatten it out by putting a heavy weight on it. This happened to me once when my dog spilled some water out of his dish, and I didn't see it until about an hour or so later.
I love the laminate flooring that we have, but this is it's only drawback.

daylee126576056014 PostsRegistered 7/1/2008
I left my carpet scrubber on my laminate while I ate lunch.It leaked and left two blisters on mine.I took a hair dryer to it,heavy objects for 48 hours.It made me sick to ruin my floor.Well about 2 weeks later out of the blue, I noticed it shrunk down. Now it isn't perfectly flat but it is about half as high and long as it was. It doesn't look too terrible.But I still want to repair it soon.But I was amazed that it did shrink and take that long.I had just given up.

shosh12657608153019 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008
that is the only curse of laminate - moisture.
if it doesn't go down, the beauty is, if it is one of the floating floors, it should be able to be repaired readily by replacing a couple of pieces..ask the flooring store..
some people have this in their kitchen, use a bucket and mop...oy !

''among saints''...why, thank you...

rolen1265812249300 PostsRegistered 10/24/2004
As stosh said, the beauty of laminate floors is that they are floating and a piece or two can be replaced.
We have laminate in our entry hall and kitchen. We have had it for over 5 years and love it still. It looks wonderful and I have not had any type of problem as far as moisture. A few months ago, I bought a new coffeemaker. It was trash day and my husband took the old coffeemaker to put it outside in the trash. For some reason, he grabbed it by the filter basket and when he got to the middle of the entry hall, the rest of the coffeemaker slipped out of his hand and hit the laminate.
We have dropped many things on this laminate and rarely has anything caused problems to the floor. But for some reason, this silly plastic coffeemaker must have hit the flooring at just the right angle to take a chip out of the floor about the size of a dime. I know the feeling all of you mention when you say how dismayed you are at a problem with the floor!! For about 5 minutes, we just stared at the chip and couldn't believe that it was there. And it was right there in the middle of the foyer - no way to disguise it or put a vase over it.
Floating laminate is not attached to the floor. The pieces slide and lock to each other so parts can be replaced. In our case, we installed the laminate ourselves. We kept a lot of extra pieces. It was a little bit of a hassle, but we removed the piece of laminate molding laid between the foyer and kitchen. We did break this molding, but we saved enough of the original to be able to replace it also. Then we had to take up some base molding at the bottom of the walls to get enough room it be able to pull the laminate up about 1/2 an inch to be able to slide the pieces out.
We had to slide out two sections to get to the one that had the ding in it. But we were able to slide a new piece into the grooves and it took the place of the messed up one. We were so pleased that the new replacement piece looked so good. We were afraid that it would be such a lighter color as the rest of the floor was 5 years old. But it matched very well and if someone did not know it was replaced, they would never guess what happened.
So to you with problems, if you did the floor yourself you can also fix it yourself. It is not the simplest thing in the world to do so, but it is well worth it. If you had someone install the floor, give them a call to help. The only problem I could see is if you did not save some extra flooring for such situations and possibly your style is not made anymore. But best of luck to you.....I know what you are feeling about a messed up floor.

patycake12658248004111 PostsRegistered 12/9/2006
I'm sorry to hear about your blistering. Hope it works out for you.
My laminate floors were getting very dull. I discovered Orange-Glo for laminate floors. It works beautifully. It puts the color and the shine back in the floors.
--
Wannabe member of GAL Club

Twinnie12658250676134 PostsRegistered 2/10/2008MA
I seriously would call the place where you bought it.
They could advise you what to do.
That's the safe way. Good luck.

"God Bless America"

missy1126590079432591 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007
Our laminate did this at the seams. We tried everything to get it to lay flat or adhere together. We put a rug over it. Now we have tile and that chips. You can't win. If it is new call the place that installed it.
--
Edited by MissyW1 at 02/11/2010 6:08 AM PST

Last edited on 2/11/2010

depglass126591268524301 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006
Thanks to all that answered. I'm watching, and maybe its just my imagination, but I think the bulging part is shrinking. We do have extra pieces saved. This flooring came from Costco and is now discontinued. Its the kind that goes over the layer of foam. Now they have the kind that has the foam on the bottom of each piece. So if necessary I can get my builder to come back and fix it. I didn't realize you could get those pieces out. This is one of those never will be finished houses.

princess6212660107221616 PostsRegistered 2/27/2007Pacific Northwest
All of these problems make us stick to the old no-wax shiny vinyl flooring in all 3 bathrooms and the kitchen. We have very old ceramic tile in a small foyer/landing . The tile is so old it is new again as it is the spanish tile look with texture and a neutral color. None of these items give us any type of problems with moisture! Here in the rainy Pacific NW a laminate that can't handle moisture is a definite no-no! Just because a product is in vogue that doesn't mean it is the right install for one's lifestyle. These products do fine in the showrooms where no one is actually cooking or walking or coming in from the weather.

Page 1 of 1