Guaranteed Delivery
117 Members and 15443 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

How are you ladies decorating your sliding patio doors?

Started 1263599884 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1279919547 by only shops online
We had drapes in the 80's and vertical blinds in the 90's.
Now we are redoing the patio sliders and I don't know what to do with them.
Must have something on the doors for privacy, do any of you have any ideas??
Thanks.

Page 1 of 1
Ima Brunet­te12636092642415 PostsRegistered 3/4/2009Florida
I re-did my sliders and installed french doors but without the panes, just glass and use curtains over them for privacy.
--
** Peace

** Peace

StylishLady12636096224166 PostsRegistered 11/25/2009Florida
Of the rooms that exit to our pool lanai, I have vertical blinds on the double slider in our Master bedroom and the triple slider in the family room. The living room has French doors with glass panes and I have no window treatment on them. Privacy is not much of an issue because of their location and the way our back yard is configured. Some day I plan on replacing all the vertical blinds with new ones.

Jan451263616139776 PostsRegistered 1/3/2009Midwest
I, too, had drapes in the 80's and verticals in the 90's on both my sliders. Last year, we replaced both with french doors without panes but with built-in blinds....the BEST investment we ever made!

duke mom12636182491442 PostsRegistered 7/12/2009
I can't stand vertical blinds. We moved into a new house with sliding glass doors on the back wall of our livingroom leading out to the deck and back yard. The house was a foreclosure and the people who owned the house before us took the vertical blinds with them but not the track system. I was happy with this so I could replace them. I put up a very heavy duty curtain rod and three bamboo panels with grommet tops. I ordered them from Brylane Home. I love them. Almost two years later and I haven't tired of them. I didn't want curtains and needed something heavy duty because this is the door we use for the dogs. I also wanted something netural. They also insulate the area very well.

Idacat12636220584707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!
I have three sets, one from the master bedroom onto the deck, one from the kitchen/dining onto the deck, one from the kitchen into the back yard. Essentially, the whole back of my house is glass. I have nothing on the doors from the kitchen to the deck and the yard and only a topper on the bedroom one.
No privacy issues because of where I live, how my yard is fenced and how many trees are back there.
If I needed coverage I'd get good vertical blinds again if only because they get along well with cats and we have four in the house.
--
In the blinding light of ideology, the facts become invisible.

DaniM1263626692889 PostsRegistered 1/25/2009
We have plantation shutters on some, and black out drapes on others. I like the look of the shutters, but they are not for heavy use. I like the drapes, and seem easy to zip in and out, open or closed.

Kachina624126362847316985 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
I had a slider with the encased mini blinds installed not long ago. Right now there is nothing decorative in the way of window treatments on the door. I may eventually use a valance or maybe will just leave it as is. I have a dog door in this slider and almost anything I put in the vicinity becomes a mess.
--
“Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

only shops­ online12636621895667 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006
I have valances on my sliders and french doors. Having a dog and two cats, valances are so much easier as they don't collect pet hair and the cats can't climb them. ;-)
On the sliders, under the valance, I have pleated pull down shades for privacy in the evening. On the french doors in the living room, privacy is not an issue. Our living room is a full story above ground and our property is wooded. But, we have a Sunsetter Shade mounted on the outside. We unwind it in the evenings, during the time of the year when the sun is beating directly on the back of the house. It helps to protect things from sun damage.

sharpie1263678372617 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Replacing the slider with French doors really isn't an option for me. The sliders are staying, but I just don't know what to put on them.
I like the vertical blinds, you can tilt them to point the sun in one direction or another, or close them completely for privacy or open them completely once the sun has gotten over the top of the house. I just don't know if they are still fashionable. (although I am really not one who keeps up with decorating trends).
I'm not sure if I want to go back to drapes, they seem really old fashioned to me, and with the dog going in and out all the time, I just don't know.
If I had an extra $1,000.00 laying around I would get a new slider that has the horiziontal blinds encased between the glass (like another poster mentioned). I have seen them at Lowe's and boy what a beautiful slider it is...........
Anyway, I was just wondering what all of you had on your sliders.

babyb12636823244690 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD
THANK YOU for this post! This is the same "problem" I am having right now, too.....sun, dog, privacy, warmth.....the whole deal! I loved those bamboo curtains as I went right to Brylane to look at them. They are just tooooo long for my window. I am going to keep trying to find something along that line, but 72 inches instead.

cabuysalot126368236234 PostsRegistered 10/28/2009
Hi Sharpie....I have the same problem with the slider in my bedroom. I can't go without any window covering. I just came back from Bed Bath and Beyond and they have a good selection of grommet curtains. Once I get a coupon in the mail from them I am going back and taking down those verticals and putting my the curtains. BTW...I have been watching HGTV and looking through magazines and the grommet curtains seems to be what the designers are using for sliding glass doors where privacy is needed.
cabuysalot

duke mom12637098981442 PostsRegistered 7/12/2009
> THANK YOU for this post! This is the same "problem"
> I am having right now, too.....sun, dog, privacy,
> warmth.....the whole deal! I loved those bamboo
> curtains as I went right to Brylane to look at them.
> They are just tooooo long for my window. I am going
> g to keep trying to find something along that line,
> but 72 inches instead.
I hope you check back and see this!!! You can trim the bamboo panels. I had to do it with mine. Just remove the sewed on bottom cloth trim piece, mark your line with a yard stick and pencil or marker, and cut with sharp sizzors. I used hot glue to put the trim back in place. It was so easy. I was a little nervous at first but measure twice and cut once.

babyb12637115244690 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD
You have got to be kidding me! Really????? Thank you sooooo much! I am off to order those and I might be checking back in with you for a little support when they arrive. THANK YOU!!!!! Seriously, this is just what I have been wanting and you cannot beat that price!

amhistoryn­ut1263749255330 PostsRegistered 12/18/2005
Sharpie,
I have been trying to figure this out for a few months now. I am moving into a newly constructed home and what I really want (if I had lots of money) is plantation shutters. But, I can't do all the windows right off the bat, so I'm going to do my slider with plantation shutters. The sliding type, not the bifold.
This window has really stumped me and I turned to this board for suggestions a few weeks ago and I got excellent ideas. I researched them all and determined that I needed to bite the bullet and get the shutters for the slider. There's really nothing out there that is inexpensive to cover your slider until you decide what you want to do with the entire room.
Window treatments are so important, you don't want to live in a fishbowl, not even for one night. It's a balancing act. I've had to purchase a garage door opener, ceiling fans, mailbox, security system and more cable outlets. Not to mention the movers.
But, regardless, I am so glad and blessed to be in this position. I am buying a home. I have worked feverishly for years to get my FICO score higher. I am thankful that I am in a position to worry about what to put on my slider. This is my first single family dwelling as a single person.
Sorry for getting off the subject, but I have spent hours trying to figure out the most econimical way to cover that darn slider. And the most economical way is to go with the shutters because that is my real plan for my entire house.
Good luck with the hunting! Enjoy the journey of having your home!
Sincerely,
AmHistoryNut

labchocola­te1279897310.9132 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Well I came to see about drapes/curtains for a few rooms including a sliding door and found this thread.

Of course as others mentioned money is an issue for me too. What is a good store or website to find curtains? I am checking brylane home site. Along with price, would like ability to wash. But boy howdy, I just don't find grommet curtains nice looking. (shower curtains anyone?) Then again I may be just showing my age!

In the past I've looked at JCPenny online and far too many times have read about the length from what is stated and what reviewers receive being off in various panels ordered.

~bunny~1279899764.8279850 PostsRegistered 5/17/2010

Fashionable or not I have no other option but to keep them. The doors are our only light source in the family room.

My bunny would shred the curtains. And the mini blinds would not look good in the location of the doors themselves.

bunny can't wait for Spring!

SoCarolina1279900845.82120 PostsRegistered 3/26/2008

I had a french door that I wanted to cover for privacy but still be able to go in and out easily. I put up a decorative rod and then a wide tab top curtain that was insulated. I just pulled it back to go in and out. It looked more up to date than the drapes that were there before.

labchocola­te1279900963.8832 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

bunnylady, not sure if you were responding to my comment on the grommet thing. Hey I also think the tabs look a bit 'shower curtainy'. But if it is changing the slidder to french door I agree it is just not in everyone budget, mine included there.

Anyhoo, people here have different taste, budget and needs. I've got some really short windows in bedrooms, for example, that also give me trouble in how to decorate, currently having curtains that are their length (a couple of feet) and I will see shows on tv that would have similiar windows with full length panels on them. That's why it is good to post here to get different opinions, solutions, etc.

~bunny~1279907403.5379850 PostsRegistered 5/17/2010

labchocolate, I was just lamenting that I was stuck with verticles.

I was hoping to find another option for myself on this post.

bunny can't wait for Spring!

only shops­ online12799195475667 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

We are almost finished redecorating our kitchen and hearth room. We have frenchwood sliders in the hearth room. I bought two bamboo roman shades to hang over each side. That way I can change each side independantly...like keep one side down, and raise the other side to go in and out of the door.

I also have a simple valance hanging above them, just to soften the look a little.

Page 1 of 1