Better Than Black Friday
123 Members and 7097 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

Does anyone own an iRobot Roomba vacuum? Is it worth it?

Started 1291658433.367 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1291906899.59 by Doc-Mom

Hi!

I am wondering if I should invest in one of these. For some reason, our house gets so very dusty (no pets, just 2 kids and 2 adults, but only one who cleans the house!), and I cannot stand to crawl under the beds to vacuum anymore!

Your opinions would be appreciated (and also the model you own)!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
Mos1291658840.26759 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

I've had my roomba for about five years. I love it. I do vacuum with the oreck, but love the simplicity of having this little thing go around cleaning up in between. I put it away when grandson is over, he is fascinated by the controls. I also bought the version that wetmops the floor, I wasn't so happy with that. I don't really use it. But I like the vacuum for getting under the furniture. My dog isn't as fond of it....and barks at it when it starts up. I enjoy it, makes me smile when it comes rolling out of the bedroom. It did tangle in the electric blanket cord that was under the bed, but otherwise it's been fine.

Maureen

rsimon92281291659305.422344 PostsRegistered 3/13/2007

I love mine. I have two (one on each floor) - it is especially nice when I am not feeling well. I do use my regular vac every so often tho (I have two dogs) since it doesn't reach corners and sometimes I just want things cleaner.

lillyville1291660119.803364 PostsRegistered 8/14/2009

Have one and love it. Since I need knee replacements this helps me between cleaning with the regular vac.

rosehill1291685846.5233412 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

LinnnieLou-I bought a 530 model at Kohls in October that had a rebate you send in for a free Dirt Dog. (the roomba designed for shop rooms, garages) I had a 30% COUPON, and it ended up costing me around $220. I bought two for my sons, for Christmas.

There is a similar offer at Target this week, for $299, you get a roomba and then you get a free one. I think that the ad said limited to stock on hand, so I would call target immediately and have them hold one for you if you are interested. They will hold stock for you until you can get to the store tomorrow. Quite a nice deal, with getting the two roombas. If your store does not have it, have them look online and find a store that does.

Clover291291686087.11710822 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

We had one, but sold it because it wasn't really compatible with our house. We have carpet everywhere, and the Roomba really needs hard floors to work properly. Or maybe shorter pile carpet. It used to get sort of obsessed with going round and round the same table leg all the time, instead of covering the whole room like it's supposed to. DH sold it to a co-worker with wooden floors.

KimberlyD1291686401.49769 PostsRegistered 11/26/2006

Yes, and I love it! I cannot do without it, ever!!

You will be surprised to see how much dirt is in your house. It is just my husband, 2 small dogs and me. I can use it everyday and still see a lot of dirt and dust.

I do have to get under the furniture so I vac with my Oreck or move the furniture and run it.

I ordered mine from HSN. I do wish I had the one that I could schedule to vac. I rec. that model if you can afford the extra cost.

Buy one! You won't be sorry!

Maggie Nol­ia1291686962.14314669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

I have one that needs to be replaced as it doesn't hold a charge much anymore. It's three years old. I do love it! It's the closest thing I'll ever have to a housekeeper.

Noticed "Mint" (I think that's the name of it) at Bed Bath & Beyond recently. Had intended to get on the 'net and investigate it further. Thanks for the reminder!

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

rosehill1291687110.353412 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007
On 12/6/2010 Cinn29 said:

We had one, but sold it because it wasn't really compatible with our house. We have carpet everywhere, and the Roomba really needs hard floors to work properly. Or maybe shorter pile carpet. It used to get sort of obsessed with going round and round the same table leg all the time, instead of covering the whole room like it's supposed to. DH sold it to a co-worker with wooden floors.

Oh, my Gosh, Cinn29- I burst out laughing when I read your post. The reference to it being obsessed with a certain table leg, just struck me as so funny. If you have ever seen these things work, you can have a real mental picture of what that would look like. Hilarious.

In-x-s1291687445.362588 PostsRegistered 3/24/2007Location, location, location
On 12/6/2010 rosehill said:

Oh, my Gosh, Cinn29- I burst out laughing when I read your post. The reference to it being obsessed with a certain table leg, just struck me as so funny. If you have ever seen these things work, you can have a real mental picture of what that would look like. Hilarious.

Me tooooooooooooo!! But I am warped and got a mental picture of the thing obsessed with the table leg much the same way as some male dogs are obsessed with a human leg {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

LinnieLou1291693046.663766 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

Thanks everyone for your input! I've decided to get one.

But which model? Rosehill, thanks for the tip! I checked it out in the weekly ad...basically, $299 for a Roomba 530 ($229 on Amazon) and get a free Roomba 400 ($149 on Amazon). The one I was pondering is the Roomba 560 from Costco, for $260, and I get a bunch of accessories with it.

I am kinda leaning towards the Costco one for various reasons--one being that it is a newer model (I watched the video they have) with newer features, and Costco's return policy is awesome, in case I have any issues (not that Target's isn't good too). On the other hand...two would be great, too! I'll decide tomorrow and go for it.

Thanks again, everyone...

namealread­ytaken1291693104.7777748 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

I liked mine but it makes the dog go crazy and I just cannot tolerate that. I did love it for 6 months before I got the dog, but it has been in mothballs now for 3-1/2 years.

Doc-Mom1291693481.56316317 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006

How does it do on hard floors that have area rugs on them?

Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend... never owned a dog.

Don't try to win over the haters, you are not the jerk whisperer.

saversmom1291693886.5835844 PostsRegistered 5/10/2009

I just bought one last week.

I am happy with the results so far.

I have not let Roomba clean every room just yet.

Roomba was able to make the transition onto area rugs as well as the hardwood. It worked on the wall to wall and area rug in the family room.

I think I will definitely enjoy this gadget.

Good luck to all.

Libbylady1291694127.91577 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have 3 Roombas, a regular vac model, a Dirt Dog, and a Scooba. I have had them for about 4years. DH got me the first one at a time when I needed surgery for a torn bicep and then had a perforated ulcer. I couldn't lift or push.

I use the regular Roomba vac for under the beds and dressers. We have cats, and it does a great job where I can't reach or move furniture.

The Scooba is wonderful on our tile floor sun-room. This is the room where I teach art classes and it really scrubs the tile, using just vinegar and water.

The Dirt Dog is meant for the garage and basement, but I use it on my first floor which is all hardwood. It works like a street sweeper rather than a vac and really collects cat hair, but it doesn't like rugs and won't climb most of them.

We have had to replace batteries and all need pretty regular cleaning to keep working properly. When they start circling and not moving across the floor, it is time to take the wheels out and thoroughly clean all moving parts. Fortunately for me, DH likes to tinker.

Trust women and cats to make the best personal choices.

rosehill1291694689.733412 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007
On 12/6/2010 In-x-s said:
On 12/6/2010 rosehill said:

Me tooooooooooooo!! But I am warped and got a mental picture of the thing obsessed with the table leg much the same way as some male dogs are obsessed with a human leg {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Too funny, in x s!

rosehill1291694871.5773412 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007
On 12/6/2010 LinnieLou said:

Thanks everyone for your input! I've decided to get one.

But which model? Rosehill, thanks for the tip! I checked it out in the weekly ad...basically, $299 for a Roomba 530 ($229 on Amazon) and get a free Roomba 400 ($149 on Amazon). The one I was pondering is the Roomba 560 from Costco, for $260, and I get a bunch of accessories with it.

I am kinda leaning towards the Costco one for various reasons--one being that it is a newer model (I watched the video they have) with newer features, and Costco's return policy is awesome, in case I have any issues (not that Target's isn't good too). On the other hand...two would be great, too! I'll decide tomorrow and go for it.

Thanks again, everyone...

Good luck in deciding, linnielou. I can see how you would be interested in a new model. When I started looking for my boys gifts, I really wanted a new model. But they were so expensive. We don't have a Costco nearby-the nearest is in Cleveland Ohio-about 60 miles from us. That Costco price is really good. Let us know what you ended up with.

Jeanne R1291699427.8334788 PostsRegistered 7/5/2010

yup, i do have and its really working very well, this is awesome and very helping

K-Shizzle1291815537.621 PostsRegistered 12/8/2010

Hi Linnie Lou,

I'm wondering if you found the Roomba 560 or 550 at Costco. I could only find the 550 model. Also, did you purchase online or have to go to the store. Costco.com indicates there 'may' be inventory in the store, but it's not available online.

Thanks!!

Doc-Mom1291906899.5916317 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006

After reading here I went to Target and got the special they were having. Buy one get one and I because I used my Target card I got another 5% off.

I have been toying with the idea for awhile now and you lovely ladies couldn't have timed it better for me. Thanks for your recommendations.

We'll see how the dog takes to them...LOL

Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend... never owned a dog.

Don't try to win over the haters, you are not the jerk whisperer.

Page 1 of 1