Guaranteed Delivery
115 Members and 16050 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

I need a couch that can hold up!!! Best brand????

Started 1289400892.127 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1289653515.573 by Mox ie

My first couch lasted many years--I bought a Lane leather sectional within the last 5 years--horrible!!! I thought I was buying quality---the seams are fraying, last night on the spot where my son sits (he's about 225 lbs--really tall) it just broke! I'm so used to big purchases lasting!! Can anyone recommend specific brands?? My kids are all grown--we are not small, but gosh--I would think a big huge sectional like that would hold up!!!

Page 1 of 2
Blondbycho­ice1289401202.931296 PostsRegistered 4/18/2007

Hi try Lazy Boy they have very comfy sofas and chairs and take alot of wear. You can go online at their website or try Thomashomefrnishings.com which is in the Carolinas and if you find exactly what you want it's much cheaper if you by it from them. I've bought many pieces of furniture from there and it's a good buy.

13diamonds1289401324.357716 PostsRegistered 7/27/2005

Lay-Z-Boy! It's probably one of the last companies that still makes its furniture in the USA. All of our sofas & chairs are from there and we've never had a problem. The family room couches get alot of use since we have a large family and still look like new after almost 5 years! LazyBoy is a bit spendy but honestly worth every penny!

imaclothes­hog1289401342.46322409 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

I can't recommend any brand names, however, my friend and her husband bought a new living room set, couch and loveseat, in that new microfiber material and they love it. That has been probably,......oh I would estimate 4 yrs. ago they bought it and it still looks like new. The microfiber is a very durable material and resists staining, really nice looking too. Good luck with your new purchase, that is a major purchase and I know it's frustrating when something you buy that expensive, doesn't last!

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

brii1289401392.14725933 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008

I've had two couches from Pottery Barn. They hold up very well.

only shops­ online1289401402.455669 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

We bought several Lane items over the years for our family room, and had bad luck with all of them. Nothing is made to last anymore.

I wish I could give you a recommendation, because I'm looking for a sofa also. We have a beautiful sofa in our living room, and it wasn't cheap. It's only been used by company, because we rarely use the living room. While a little more formal, we aren't trying to "save" anything by not using the room. It's just that the sofa is incredibly uncomfortable. I really think the sample in the store was much better.

I want a sofa that I can take a nap on, and enjoy our wooded view from the living room. I'll be checking your thread for any advice that you get. Good luck.

Js41289402710.573251 PostsRegistered 9/15/2010

SMITH BROTHERS of BERNE, made in USA. Amish, oak construction. Furniture is as sturdy as it comes. Do a google to see and read about it. I bought a grouping and used it daily, we moved and I gave to a newly married daughter as our new home was such I had 2 rooms to furnish similarly. DD has 2 little boys and it is the room they use all the time and the fabric is excellent and shows no wear. I am very picky and have had several in 46 years of marriage. I love my Smith Bros......BTW, I am blessed with a large family. I have 10 grandchildren and all are local. We used the furniture. I had never heard of SB before we had purchased this set. It is 14 years old and still beautiful. Unless the quality has changed I would buy no other. IMO. : )

Js4

Last edited on 11/10/2010

Last edited on 11/10/2010

azgal1289402779.441305 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007arizona

I have a Lazy Boy sofa sleeper that is over 10 years old and is still in great shape. The sleeper part hasn't had much use but is still comfortable for my granddaughter to use.

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it. Abraham Lincoln

mom of 71289419385.5332095 PostsRegistered 4/10/2010

I buy all of my furniture from Flexsteel with their steel frames. It holds up really well. Of course, the longevity of a couch also depends on what type of fabric is used.

~bunny~1289420861.7679850 PostsRegistered 5/17/2010

I would say go with LazyBoy. Although within 3 years my hubs wore a sink hole on his side of the sofa and he is only 160 lbs. soaking wet. Other than his sink hole the rest of the sofa has held up. I really think nothing is made the way it used to be.

bunny can't wait for Spring!

lovemygigi1289421481.785095 PostsRegistered 3/12/2010

Lazy Boy's hold up well...I don't have a sofa from them but 2 recliners. We purchased a microfiber sectional from JCPenny's 5 years ago and it has taken a beating but has held up very well. What I love is that on this style ALL of the cushion covers are removable and I can wash them ! I usually use Woolite on the gentle cycle and air dry or tumble on low. Amazingly convenient with kids and 3 dogs. Excellent prices, too, at Penny's with the sales they have.

..." Right now, I'm in the sweet spot between complete ignorance and righteous indignation..." Stephen Colbert, 6/5/2014

C from Bama1289435780.2281 PostsRegistered 6/2/2009

I just went through the sofa buying process. We have a Natuzzi sofa purchased from Macy's four years ago that has a "sinking" problem where my husband sits. This sofa is at our lake house and gets used only a couple times a week! The warranty period is over and I was told "sorry". Anyway, after much research and deliberation, I bought one from Pottery Barn on sale. It is made in North Carolina and I feel it will last a very long time. I have friends who own Pottery Barn sofas and they all love them. Good luck.

granddi1289439368.52851 PostsRegistered 9/8/2009

Ethan Allen: I have a pair of sofas in our great room. The current pair is now 19 years old. Very basic, clean line, cororoy (sp) fabric. Had a pair before these that were about the same age. Gave one each to kids. Not sure they are as well made today.

flyingdrea­ms1289442750.88907 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004NC

Yeah, I'm afraid u have to spend quite alot of $ to get something to last more than 5-8 yrs. I'm having the same issue. Everything is disposable now, they want u to come back and buy it again and again over and over. They make it that way on purpose unfortunately. Things use to last 20 yrs, now u are lucky if it gets to 8. If u reduce it to how much it costs u per year then maybe it's less painful. It's your choice pay a little now and buy over and over every few years or pay big bucks and have it a long time.

My blog:
http://peacemanor.blogspot.com/

57babe1289443529.0478638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

I bought a Hancock & Moore sectional 5 years ago. Beautifully constructed. Handsome tuxedo style, looks and feels new. Awesomely comfortable. I love to nap on it. Bought it off the floor for 1/2 the price when a woman ordered it, refused it because she didn't like the color...(camel, exact color and fabric that I was looking for!) What a gift! Highly recommend this brand, look at them online. I don't think you can buy anything finer.

chloe661289444305.53572 PostsRegistered 4/16/2009

Smith Brothers of Berne and Flexsteel are both excellent companys and have great quality furniture.

Me And My ­Shadow1289448462.8271087 PostsRegistered 1/8/2009

I'm happy to read all of the positive replies about La-Z-Boy furniture....as we just bought a beautiful La-Z-Boy sectional for our den and had it delivered last week....It looks very well made and I can't say enough about the quality...sturdy cushions...great workmanship....appears that it should hold up very well.

Last edited on 11/11/2010

Last edited on 11/11/2010

Retired081289450178.45330 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008 Beautiful Coastal Georgia

I can wholeheartedly recommend the FLEXSTEEL. You can choose so many different styles, fabrics, even the firmness of the cushions. Just make sure that when you make your choice that you really like it. It will be around for years. I've also found, from personal experience that when you tire of it and want to sell it, when you mention Flexsteel in the ad, you get a very good response and people are willing to pay more for it.

Just as an FYI, Flexsteel also does the upholstery for those mega buck motor coaches that you see as well as the upholstery for the personal Gulfstream jets that they build here in Savannah. I think that's a pretty good recommendation for Flexsteel.

What you put into the lives of others comes back into your own.

Barbara in­ Virginia1289451116.2077880 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

I am a retired high end residential interior designer. When my clients had a quality frame, I recommended that they have their existing sofa or chair reupholstered rather than buying a new one from me. A good upholsterer can replace/re-tie springs, replace the cushioning with a quality product, and even re-design the piece, within limits. He would even on occasion replace the seat cushions with spring down, which is a premium seat. He can even reinforce parts of the frame which may be vulnerable. Many frames are described as being hardwood, but neglect to indicate that much of this wood may have knotholes in it, which of course will weaken the frame. The problem with probably most of the cushions/padding is that it is really very inferior stuff and is often loaded up with blown in junk that will break down very quickly. And of course we would select a quality fabric to use. The cost may be about the same as what you would pay for an inexpensive product, but the value is at least double and probably closer to triple. It's always better to get your fabric from a source other than your upholsterer, as what they typically have to sell is not the best. You can get first-rate to the trade only fabrics on eBay. Many VERY high end designers buy fabrics by the bolt and sell what is left over from a job on eBay. Do a search for Brunschwig&Fils, Scalamandre, Old World Weavers, and other wholsale houses of that caliber. An upholsterer can tell you how much yardage you will need.

Kachina6241289462294.1817003 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
On 11/10/2010 chloe66 said:

Smith Brothers of Berne and Flexsteel are both excellent companys and have great quality furniture.

Don't buy a Flexsteel sleeper sofa....awful. You get what you pay for with furniture. The most expensive is likely to be the highest quality.

LaterGator1289463152.08310272 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007

Ethan Allen or Thomasville or Pennsylvania House.

princess621289464404.7531616 PostsRegistered 2/27/2007Pacific Northwest

We have a Drexel sofa that we have had for 20+ years and it is still great! Pillows for seating are just as fluffy as new, faux loose pillow back is not at all saggy. The frame is very sturdy as it came cross country when we move and sat in my folks garage for 3 months while we found a house. I would have it re-done in a heartbeat except it is now very long and gets in the way of the flat screen TV [which these old eyes also love]. We also have had a Flexsteel which lasted 20 years and which we left for the buyers of our old house.

TM2Bee1289464971.223190 PostsRegistered 11/24/2007

I have a Lazyboy sofa and 2 recliners. They are great. I've had them since 1998 and they sure don't look like they are 12 years old. The recliners have gotten the majority of the everyday use and they are just now beginning to have issues. The sofa is in amazing shape. I commented to my hubby just the other day that when we get new furniture we should just have the sofa reupholstered. The cushions are still in great shape as well as the frame and very comfy. The only issue with the fabric is where the sun has been shining on it all these years. I will say that the sofa hasn't had to endure alot of hardcore wear and tear on it because our kids were old enough for that to not be an issue.

Ima Brunet­te1289484936.1232415 PostsRegistered 3/4/2009Florida

Bauhaus is the best brand I have found - I think Ethan Allen sells it too.

** Peace

Shirl521289485841.377233 PostsRegistered 4/22/2010

I have learned over the years.... steel frame. If you buy something with a wood frame it will not last as long. We had a beautiful sofa set, and we paid $1500 for it... it didn't last 2 years... wood frame. We bought another sofa and recliner set.... steel frame.... lasted forever.....

Barbara in­ Virginia1289509023.9577880 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

There are quality wood frames that will last forever but they are spendy. I reupholstered antique as early as 19th century wood frames for clients that were in great shape. The company I used for my clients was to the trade only, and had wood frames built like a tank. The problem with buying wood frames at retail is that you can't see what you are getting. What you want is kiln dried hardwood that is double dowelled and corner blocked. Unless it is specified as being "knot free" you just can't be sure that there aren't knots in the frame. There are still some quality hardwood frames at retail but you have to know what you are doing. And expect to put out some money. Our daughter got some leather furniture from Restoration Hardware and it has been holding up very, very well.

Page 1 of 2