Christmas in July(R) Sale
17 Members and 10250 Guests Online

For the Home Talk

HELP!!! I HAVE A MOUSE IN MY WALL!

Started 1286753765.317 in For the Home Talk | Last reply 1287054969.167 by insomniac

I don't want it to eat its way thru the sheet rock. How am I going to get this mouse taken care of??? I can hear it in the common wall between my dining room and living room.

Page 1 of 1
Kittyface1286754348.77649 PostsRegistered 7/18/2006WNY

Do you have a cat?

josiesopin­ion1286755588.08500 PostsRegistered 3/16/2010

I have a new kitty. He is an outdoor kitty and quite the mouse catcher but this mouse in in my wall!

~bunny~1286755874.39850 PostsRegistered 5/17/2010

We had one in our bedroom wall last week. It made noise for 3 days and nothing after that. Your mouse could find it's way out so don't panic. This happens to us every year at this time so we are used to it. Never had one eat a hole in the wall.

bunny can't wait for Spring!

Sunshine K­ate128675595611956 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky
On 10/10/2010 bunny lady said:

We had one in our bedroom wall last week. It made noise for 3 days and nothing after that. Your mouse could find it's way out so don't panic. This happens to us every year at this time so we are used to it. Never had one eat a hole in the wall.

Yeah, find it's way out into her kitchen or living room. Wink

Respectfully ~
Kate

josiesopin­ion1286756188.07500 PostsRegistered 3/16/2010

When we built our house we had one get in the wall and eat a hole thru the sheetrock 5 1/2 feet up the guest bedroom wall. When I showed the hole to my daughter, he mouse stuck his head out of the hole. I ran and never looked back. Called the exterminator immediately to come out and catch the mouse. The next morning my husband said my "friend" was laying in the bathroom floor.

~bunny~1286756758.579850 PostsRegistered 5/17/2010
On 10/10/2010 Sunshine Kate said:

Yeah, find it's way out into her kitchen or living room. Wink

We had another one last month stuck in our heater vent in the living room. It woke me up at 3:00 am. The varmint made so much noise scratching for 2 nights. It was so loud that I could still hear it with my head under the blankets. I was ready to shoot it. Then it disappeared. I am more afraid of the mouse getting into the rabbit cage and scaring the bunny than anything else.

mom of 71286757055.7232076 PostsRegistered 4/10/2010

Set a mousetrap, you should be able to catch it. Good luck!

GoodStuff1286757218.6514287 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

At least it's not a rat (I hope). We have "roof rats" in our area, and almost every fall they try to take up residence in our attic, as well as our neighbors' attics. I'm waiting to hear the scrabbling sounds in our ceiling that will mean it's time to call the exterminator. Again.

Critters love to find warm, dry places to stay when the weather gets chilly.

cerinthe1286757778.6132591 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

The best mousetraps are called 'tin cats' and are safe for pets, children and the rodent. They are set up as live catch, but you can choose to kill the pest if you wish to, or drive a solid mile away and release it.

Snap traps tend to send bodily fluids splattered around the hit area, which is why they are not allowed in professional kitchen areas. Also it can be hard to bait or trigger these properly and thus the rodent can usually eat the bait off most without triggering it (you need to buy the ones with an extra large trigger plate and try beef ejrky, like the inside of the beef jerky sticks, which is soft and moldable. Or Caramel. These are usually irresistable.)

Glue traps can catch anything from pets, children, birds, reptiles, etc., and lead to a slow death by dehydration and are not very effective either (the strong glue smells tends to put off all but desperately hungry rodents, and they usually aren't desperately hungry.)

Tin cats cost a bit more, but have enough room for a variety of baits (sweets to savory, to crackers, small water bowl, etc.,) and can be used for decades. Victor makes a great less expensive one, many Ace Hardware places carry the Victor line.

The best baits are: Inside/cut up piece of a beef jerky round jerky stick (this is the number one bait for rats,) Cut up jelly bellies (these are considered the single best for mice,) cut up/clice of a snickers bar (they love chocolate, caramels and peanuts- its a home run,) broken sticky cheese crackers, and water. Mice and rats which are caught in a house have a hard time finding water and will often go to bathrooms to lick up droplets splattered from a sink, so a small 'sample plastic cup,' you know, like restaurants have, of water put in a tin cat, can be a great bait. Use as many baits as you can, in a tin cat this is easy. Tin cats work best on mice, usually with rats, they are so difficult to catch, and the larger tin cats for them can be in the $80 range (20 for mice,) that I recommend snap traps baited with that soft beef jerky, with a large plate trigger, placed along their runs.

Oh! also- Victor now makes these smaller live catch 'tin cats' (like for one mouse,) but they are usually made cheaply and the ramp doesn't work right or is broken. I do not recommend them. The larger two entrance one (placed against a wall, preferable where you see them run around,) is the best:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1280340

Hope this helps during rodent season!

Pixie Jo1286757969.7233511 PostsRegistered 7/4/2009

Have a Heart trap... doesn't kill the critter. I always think that's the best way to go.

Pixie Jo

josiesopin­ion1286758472.693500 PostsRegistered 3/16/2010

This thing is in my wall. I guess I will have to set traps under the house and in the attic.

~bunny~1286758811.3039850 PostsRegistered 5/17/2010
On 10/10/2010 josiesopinion said:

This thing is in my wall. I guess I will have to set traps under the house and in the attic.

Sometimes they just find their way out the way they came in and you won't even see them. Or they die in the walls. But I would set the traps in case. Good luck with your mouse.

josiesopin­ion1286758985.467500 PostsRegistered 3/16/2010
On 10/10/2010 josiesopinion said:

Sometimes they just find their way out the way they came in and you won't even see them. Or they die in the walls. But I would set the traps in case. Good luck with your mouse.

Thanks bunny lady. I just cringe when I hear that sound. I know you know what sound I am talking about since this has happened to you also! Have a great night!

princess621286759364.0731616 PostsRegistered 2/27/2007Pacific Northwest

Be sure to check and find out how the critter got in or you will have more visitors! Find the way into your house and be sure to block it with a metal such as steel mesh. Steel is important because it is very hard to chew thru. Also check your wiring as these critters just love to chew and don't care what it is they chew on.

princess621286759379.151616 PostsRegistered 2/27/2007Pacific Northwest

Be sure to check and find out how the critter got in or you will have more visitors! Find the way into your house and be sure to block it with a metal such as steel mesh. Steel is important because it is very hard to chew thru. Also check your wiring as these critters just love to chew and don't care what it is they chew on.

namealread­ytaken1286759657.3837660 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

Adopt a hungry cat from the animal shelter or pound. A well-tended, well-fed cat will not be as interested. However, I am surprised you have mice if you have a cat unless the cat never comes inside. Mice can smell a cat in the house and will stay away, same way with snakes. They do not take kindly to environments occupied by cats.

i had a copperhead snake come in my kitchen door October a few years ago and it hid. My cat found it. He stalked it and stalked it until it finally died from hunger inside a pot where I had a ficus tree. The snake was obviously afraid to come out of the pot and stayed there a few days and died. We smelled it and found it there. However, I had assumed the snake was there because the cat would stalk the pot day and night and meow in a very loud voice, although I had had the cat for 2 years and it had never meowed prior to that.

I would not put any kind of rodent killer in the house because it will smell awful if it dies in the walls and you will be unable to get it out.

JoLeene1287030009.4234 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006Missouri

I've had pretty good luck with the "sticky board" catchers but now we have a cat and she has brought us 2 over the past few months. After you get rid of what you are hearing now, get some oil of peppermint (health food store, not grocery store stuff) and soak a cotton ball and place them in corners of cabinets, drawers, under sink or where ever you can near where you see any droppings and it will keep them from coming back. Re-apply the oil every couple of months. It really doesn't smell that strong and my under sink cabinet has my trash can so the peppermint helps with that.

Jo

dgluvr1287031032.5175220 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
On 10/10/2010 namealreadytaken said:

Adopt a hungry cat from the animal shelter or pound. A well-tended, well-fed cat will not be as interested. However, I am surprised you have mice if you have a cat unless the cat never comes inside. Mice can smell a cat in the house and will stay away, same way with snakes. They do not take kindly to environments occupied by cats.

i had a copperhead snake come in my kitchen door October a few years ago and it hid. My cat found it. He stalked it and stalked it until it finally died from hunger inside a pot where I had a ficus tree. The snake was obviously afraid to come out of the pot and stayed there a few days and died. We smelled it and found it there. However, I had assumed the snake was there because the cat would stalk the pot day and night and meow in a very loud voice, although I had had the cat for 2 years and it had never meowed prior to that.

I would not put any kind of rodent killer in the house because it will smell awful if it dies in the walls and you will be unable to get it out.

What kind of shelter would have "hungry cats?" for adoption? If they do- they shouldn't be in business- not to mention mice carry disease so if it gets eaten that poor cat could get sick too.( and even a "hungry cat" doesn't always eat the whole thing- there are a few cats in my kid's neighborhood that left legs, and a head on the front porch.) There are traps that kill the critter inside the little black box so you just toss it after it is caught. It's all well and good to try "live" traps but how many times are you going to drive some place to release a mouse for heaven's sake? ( not to mention if it was a female with a litter) And if they die in the wall- you'll smell it for a long time.So it's either a trap or to be extra sure- an exterminator that will check for entrances as well.By the way- mice don't smell cats and stay away- where did you hear that?

Last edited on 10/13/2010

Last edited on 10/13/2010

SuziQ21287042190.862493 PostsRegistered 9/18/2008

it can also die there and then you will have a horrible smell. Maybe it will go out the same way it came in.

Chocolate; It's not just for breakfast anymore.

dooBdoo1287042868.0615107 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

I began using "Riddex" plug-in pest controller units about 15 years ago -- I have a bunch of allergies, and disabling migraines, so I avoid using chemicals as much as possible. The units are really inexpensive, and you just plug them in and they last for years and years. (disclaimer: I have absolutely no interest, financial or otherwise, in the company or anyone who sells Riddex!) The only problem is with "rodent-type" pets -- the units will drive away many types of insects as well as rodents (it doesn't kill them, just sends them away and keeps them away), so it will make any hamsters, or such, really nervous! Cats or dogs can't even tell the units are there, however. I've lived in an old house, out in the country, now in an apartment, as well as working in a couple of hospitals that are in very old buildings, and my experience with this type of control has been really positive. Best of luck to you!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

~★~ "You don't have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ~Red Haircrow

insomniac1287054969.1677241 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Not to make things worse, but there could also be a bat in your wall. (I lived in a house that had at least one bat a year--so I'm an expert on them.)

insomniac

Page 1 of 1