TSV(R) Preview
127 Members and 15382 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Vera Bradley Made in CHINA!!!!!

Started 1279022944.363 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1295044172.143 by gigot

I was so DISAPPOINTED when I saw that Vera Bradley was making their bags in China.

I have some bags dating back from as far as 1989 ...all made in the good old US of A!!!!

....SAD very sad..I know they were originally made in Indiana.

Just read online they began out sourcing in 2006 and made in China labels began arriving in 2007.....wow{#emotions_dlg.ohmy} another one bites the dust.

Page 1 of 2
fashion_fr­eak1279023458.643861 PostsRegistered 9/23/2009

It happens, but if that is the case I sure wish she would lower her prices, or bring the work back to USA

Sunshine K­ate1279023768.45712361 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

Exactly, LizinFL. Companies move to China, but don't lower prices for the customer. They are really making out.

I would much rather have made in USA products any day. We need the jobs here so badly.

Respectfully ~
Kate

~bunny~1279023911.049850 PostsRegistered 5/17/2010
On 7/13/2010 Sunshine Kate said:

Exactly, LizinFL. Companies move to China, but don't lower prices for the customer. They are really making out.

I would much rather have made in USA products any day. We need the jobs here so badly.

ITA

bunny can't wait for Spring!

perryp1279024066.8473260 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007

I heard something on the news this week about how the Chinese are in the production end of things, and how the governments that trade with China are focusing on getting China to become consumption-oriented, and buy globally as well. I never thought about this aspect of world trade balance. What does China buy, if anything, from other countries?

Last edited on 7/13/2010

Last edited on 7/13/2010

alohakz1279024128.621597 PostsRegistered 8/22/2007
great question to call in w/ on the testimonial line next time they are presented;)

Plumnelly1279024765.517760 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

That's a deal-breaker for me!{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} Perhaps that's why verabradley.com has had so many sales/free shipping. Also, the company has just gone public.

Other purse/bag companies similar to VB that I've knowingly purchased made in China are much lower priced & well-made. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I stopped buying Longaberger liners, etc. as well when they sent those jobs to China.

Voting with our feet is a good thing!

Last edited on 7/13/2010

Last edited on 7/13/2010

"It's amazing how long it takes to finish something you're not working on."

perryp1279025373.8373260 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007

I saw a special last year on tv. Warren Buffett routinely takes several of his business friends on his jet to China to do business, that really surprised me. One of these friends has a furniture chain in the US and has his stores furniture made in China for the US.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Last edited on 7/13/2010

Last edited on 7/13/2010

Jeanne R1279027479.8574788 PostsRegistered 7/5/2010

ITA

fashionfav­es1279028093.893018 PostsRegistered 1/23/2005Just South of Sanity! ;)

Vera Bradley just opened a factory about 3 miles from me. They bought an abandoned building that was running down that area and really spruced it up. They are also supportive of this area and do a ton of fundraising for breast cancer research. Yes. Some of their handbags are made in China or assembled there but designs and fabrics come from the US. We have what is called a "global economy". Have you looked at the labels in your other brands of handbags and clothing? Don't single out VB for doing (at least in part) what many, many other companies do.

Last edited on 7/13/2010

Last edited on 7/13/2010

"If you have not often felt the joy of doing a kind act, you have neglected much, and most of all yourself."
A Neilen

Breea1280900234.603817 PostsRegistered 11/6/2007

I've noticed you really have to watch the workmanship on the bags that are Made in China by VB. I've had to return a few due to broken threads upon arrival, seams coming out when initially opened from packaging! I just sent one back yesterday due to seams loose, threads pulled and coming out, stitching a mess where handle was sewn. My local shop that sales VB has said they really do a close inventory inspection on the items they receive since so many have had problems for the price point. I've noticed if you purchase a bag that is a more difficult pattern to sew the sewing is usually high quality but watch out for totes....with the exception being the first Weekender I received that had the pockets sewn in upside down!!!! and QC didn't notice! I think it is so sad because I was happily paying her price for a USA made item that was quality. If she can't get her QC under control in China, I'll take my money elsewhere because I won't pay for defective products whether they are sewn in China or the USA. I wish she would make her products in the USA again and scale back to the older higher quality even if her price had to increase some.

dgluvr1280902316.4235260 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
On 7/13/2010 alohakz said: great question to call in w/ on the testimonial line next time they are presented;)

You don't seriously think those calls aren't accidentally dropped do you? China has taken over the manufacturing role so extensively that I don't think we'll ever get out from under their influence. Our country complains about how they treat their people, how we suspect they sell contraband to our enemies etc. but the profits margin is so large that the vendors can't resist at our expense.We are, after all a Capitalist country. which means the rich get richer and can keep it instead of sharing equally. It's better than communism if you're a hard worker of course, but for the blue-collar worker, well we're almost forced to buy Chinese in order to keep within our own budgets!And if you're not working at all, well what can else can you afford. It's all well and good to say buy American, but sometimes you just can't.

Last edited on 8/4/2010

Last edited on 8/4/2010

AlexK1280903564.0832541 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

Nearly everything is made in China. I don't know why this should come as a shock to you.

They are able to lower prices as a result of low labor costs, but that doesn't make it a good thing.

Even China is starting to losing out when it comes to low labor costs. Apple moved I-Phone production to Vietnam when the factory in China doubled workers wages due to escalating suicide rates. Now there is an example of a an expensive item with low labor costs; Apple chooses to spend its money on advertising rather than pay decent wages.

LImom1280941068.5771384 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008The Gold Coast

How much are you willing to spend on an inexpensive cotton bag? I bet if it was made here it would be double the cost. I actually dont mind them being made in China. My daughter who uses them for a school bag, goes through 2 a year. I dont mind spending $70 for it, but i would have a problem paying $150.

But i do understand when you have been using something for so long and it changes.

Last edited on 8/4/2010

Last edited on 8/4/2010

sahmIam1280941503.191196 PostsRegistered 9/25/2005

i stopped buying VB when I noticed that the quality wasn't what it once was. I thought it was dud until a few more pieces turned out to have quality issues. Understand, I have a lot of her stuff but from years ago (I use it for traveling, beach, gym and diaper bags so they HAVE to hold up. The patterns I have were discontinued YEARS ago too). One day, while waiting to return the item to the VB store, I noticed the "made in" tag in the product. CHINA. Hmm, went back and checked my old pieces. "Made in USA". Since all the pieces I returned were in the past year (haven't bought any until recently), it started to click.

As for EVERYTHING is made... no it isn't. But you WILL pay FAR MORE for items NOT made in CHINA. I choose to pay more. I wait, save up and then buy from those countries that do not outsource any aspect of their product. Tough, but not impossible. First country of choice? USA!

tannis1280951472.353200 PostsRegistered 7/10/2008

You do NOT have to pay more for American made products. That is such a tired arguement that people have been throwing around to justify the Made in China label. You DO have to be a more savvy shopper though.

Have any of you tried the Stephanie Dawn line of fabric handbags? They were the original manufacturer's of Vera Bradley bags. They now have their own line of bags similar to VB, but they manufacture theirs right here in the USA. Their prices are also comparible to VB's if not a little bit cheaper. You can look them up on the web.

tannis

Pearlbaby1280951639.286340 PostsRegistered 12/2/2009
On 8/4/2010 tannis said:

You do NOT have to pay more for American made products. That is such a tired arguement that people have been throwing around to justify the Made in China label. You DO have to be a more savvy shopper though.

Have any of you tried the Stephanie Dawn line of fabric handbags? They were the original manufacturer's of Vera Bradley bags. They now have their own line of bags similar to VB, but they manufacture theirs right here in the USA. Their prices are also comparible to VB's if not a little bit cheaper. You can look them up on the web.

tannis

Thanks.

sahmIam1280957514.3231196 PostsRegistered 9/25/2005

Tannis, thank you for that info :)

tannis1280965646.33200 PostsRegistered 7/10/2008

You're welcome LUV TO SHOP and sahmlam. I'm also disappointed that so many things have gone to China. I do however have a few VB's that were made there and I haven't had any quality issues with them. I do try to buy American as much as possible though. Often times if I can't find an alternative American product, I'll just do without if it's not a necessity.

The Stephanie Dawn line also has some cute patterns. I've mainly found them in Hallmarks and little gift boutiques.

tannis

Missey11280973152.3373174 PostsRegistered 12/21/2008Sierra Foothills CA
On 8/4/2010 tannis said:

tannis

Yes, I bought one of Stephanie Dawn's bags and they are well made and worth the money. They are made here, however, mine smelled when I first got it. I wonder if it is made with imported from China material??? Odor went away I called back and they could not give me an explanation. Would buy again though

floss 841280975717.494142 PostsRegistered 6/6/2010

When I first started to read this topic I thought oh no not VB too!! I have been buying her bags for years even before they were popular!!! Years ago one of the hanndles began to tear I could the company and they replaced the bag. I have found their CS staff are always friendly and very helpful. FASHIONFAVES I'm so glad you posted about their new offices, community spirit and work for cancer charity!!!!

dgluvr1281077775.9435260 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008

Made in China is not our only gripe- since they switch to other Asian countries as well ( Taiwan) etc. I notice that Suarti is cashing in on her own people- did you see the recent show that showed her "back yard?" And how much do those Ojon people make? He charges a fortune for the products and brags how the people feel so honored and proud to make a living. ( Yet they still look like they live in huts, prepare the products like they always have etc. etc.) So how much gets back to them and how much lines his pockets? Precious Moments statues have always been made in the FarEast as well. They still cost a lot for new ones but older (prettier imo)bring close to nothing on E-bay now and the original designer professes to be very religious yet has made himself a tidy profit as well. Besides the cloth purses ( which you can actually make yourself if you know how to sew) what other products are exclusively ours to brag about? Worrisome to say the least.

opinionblo­gger1295017000.076 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010

The cost of manufacturing In the US Has gotten ridiculous. Even with Import tariff costs it is cheaper to have things made In other countries. And lets be honest about it here, Vera Bradley isn't the only one doing that.
My husband, who works for a familiar large company here as a truck driver will be the first to tell you what he makes In salary is LUDICROUS money. So be fair, first try to run your own company here & see what is actually Involved before being critical. There is more than meets the eye when manufacturing goods here In the US. I highly suggest you Google & research the subject of the price of manufacturing US goods vs. having them assembled overseas. Many companies do this, not just Vera. There Is still the Ft. Wayne Vera Bradley & I believe they make them there too. All I know Is when I go to a store to buy Vera, they don't have a chemical smell as some here complain about when ordering from QVC.

Yes, It Is sad that many things aren't made In the US due to overhead costs here. If you ever listen to Susan Graver, she will point out when one of her garments Is actually made here. So obviously ALL of her clothing Isn't made here. And If you write her & ask, she will probably say It Is due to trying to keep the manufacturing costs down.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Last edited on 1/14/2011

Last edited on 1/14/2011

Last edited on 1/14/2011

LipstickDi­va1295017237.1239164 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

For all of you claiming the price would double if it was made in the USA, how many prices decreased when they moved manufacturing to China? Did Coach, VB, Dooney, etc. lower their prices when they moved manufacturing from the USA to China? No they didn't.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

Yankette1295017458.81893 PostsRegistered 3/20/2007

OH NO!!!! STOP THE PRESSES!

opinionblo­gger1295017871.3536 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010

Queen of Posts, It obviously Is cheaper elsewhere. Why do you think many companies here move to places like Mexico, the Phillipines & China?{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Page 1 of 2