The Joy of Christmas
43 Members and 6926 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Born vs. BOC by Born

Started 1276910145.54 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1277043947.91 by wildcat fan

I was at TJ Maxx this week and noticed about 15 different pairs of BOC by Born. I'm a big fan of Born shoes, so at first, I was really excited. I was surprised that I couldn't find one comfortable pair of the BOC by Born. At a glance, they looked like Born, but it sure didn't feel like I was wearing Born, so I didn't buy any.

Have any of you noticed a difference between the two? Is there a certain BOC by Born style that's more comfortable than others? I've seen some in the QVC inventory, but now that I've tried some on, I'm not sure if I'd like them.

Page 1 of 1
fashionfav­es1276911480.0373018 PostsRegistered 1/23/2005Just South of Sanity! ;)

I have a pair of BOC by Born wedge sandals and I think they are comfortable. I got mine at Marshall's. I would definitely say they are stylish and a little bit higher heel than I normally wear but still comfortable for what they are.

"If you have not often felt the joy of doing a kind act, you have neglected much, and most of all yourself."
A Neilen

geranium1276916409.87705 PostsRegistered 6/8/2006

I bought my first pair of BORN shoes a few months ago while I was out of town, and they were so uncomfortable, my toes and the balls of my feet actually were feeling so weird, like they were numb, but then I could feel a sharp pain. I bought some pads, which made them better, but I have not dared wear them out yet again. My DD was very imprressed with the comfort and workmanship in her BORNS, so I did not tell her how badly my feet were hurting.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

ann7591276916990.99379 PostsRegistered 7/11/2006southern michigan

I think the BOC is a cheaper, more fashion foreward brand of Born. I have both, and my Born sandles get much more wear than the cute BOC flats.

winamac1276947610.52719053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana

BOCS are nowhere near as comfy as Born. BOCS are less expensive. I prefer BORN--far more cushiony.

lulu21276961137.4621172 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

BOC is not as comfy as Born. I did buy these and found they are very comfy, the only drawback is I think they run about a half size smaller than Born.

BOC

wildcat fan1276961829.1573402 PostsRegistered 1/18/2010
On 6/19/2010 lulu2 said:

BOC is not as comfy as Born. I did buy these and found they are very comfy, the only drawback is I think they run about a half size smaller than Born.

BOC

Those are cute, lulu2!

They run smaller than Born? Maybe that's why I thought they didn't feel right!!! I might go back and see if I can find a half size larger.

TY1276976070.544025 PostsRegistered 3/22/2007

I've owned both Born and BOC by Born clogs/mules. I tend to try on more than one pair in the same size (usually a size 8) to see which left and right shoe feels the best. No matter what brand, there's always fit inconsistencies in identical pairs of shoes. I totally wore out a pair of Born clogs, the wedge of one shoe split in half where the shoe naturally bends -- I was so sad when that happened!

Clogs and mules have been hard to find for the last year or so at the Winners stores in Canada (Winners is owned by TJX) so when I find BOC or Born clogs, if they fit I will get them. I have a black pair of BOC clogs that I bought at full price last fall at the Shoe Warehouse store. This spring I found a pair of BOC clogs and a pair of Naturalizer clogs at Winners. It's so hit and miss! I've had plantar fasciitis in my left foot that has gradually developed since last summer. So comfortable shoes are a must!

imaclothes­hog1276979182.14321707 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
On 6/19/2010 winamac said:

BOCS are nowhere near as comfy as Born. BOCS are less expensive. I prefer BORN--far more cushiony.

ITA with Win. BOC is made from materials that are inferior to the Born materials. The leather is not as soft, the padding is not as cushy and supportive, the arch support is not there, and the stitching and threads they use are not great. You get what you pay for and if you want the Born quality you are not going to find it in a lesser quality line like BOC.

If BOC were the same quality as Born, the shoes would have the prices of the Born shoes. Hence, the reason they charge less.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

oppia1276979453.013073 PostsRegistered 10/26/2004

Born comfort walking shoes almost crippled me! The insignia was imprinted in the heel of my foot. I'm wearing them tonight as they became more comfortable w/ wear. (I think!?)

The insignia flatted out and my heel is now hard as a rock!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Sunshine K­ate1276982788.22312108 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

I own both brands and prefer Born as I think they're better made. I wear the same size in Born or BOC. I like BOC also though.

Respectfully ~
Kate

winamac1276989024.62319053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana
On 6/19/2010 Amphitrite said:

ITA with Win. BOC is made from materials that are inferior to the Born materials. The leather is not as soft, the padding is not as cushy and supportive, the arch support is not there, and the stitching and threads they use are not great. You get what you pay for and if you want the Born quality you are not going to find it in a lesser quality line like BOC.

If BOC were the same quality as Born, the shoes would have the prices of the Born shoes. Hence, the reason they charge less.

ITA

Hi Amp!

Last edited on 6/19/2010

Last edited on 6/19/2010

iluvcats1277005499.7839 PostsRegistered 6/13/2005Indiana

I have Born sandals and clogs that I've really loved. A recently purchased pair of BOC sandals rubbed my feet raw in two places that took forever to heal! Upon closer inspection I saw that they weren't real leather but man made materials in their entirety. I had purchased another pair in a different color that I took back to TJ Maxx without even trying to wear them.

imaclothes­hog1277011202.97321707 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

ITA

Hi Amp!

Last edited on 6/19/2010

*waving* oooh Hiya Win! Long time no "see"!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Hope you are well!Smile

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

ng1277011827.7871162 PostsRegistered 11/23/2007Sunny Southern California

I have definitely noticed a difference in the quality of the leather, the BOC is cheaper feeling and not as soft. I think the BOC stands for "Born Only Cheaper"!{#emotions_dlg.sad} It's too bad, because some of the styles are cute, but if they aren't comfortable they not coming home with me!{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

candy1277012332.39497 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northeast

Born shoes were quality, great leather, craftsmanship and support. BOC has none of those qualities. And finding decent Born styles is almost impossible.

Looking for another brand that looks good and keeps my back, knees and feet from falling apart!

winamac1277033396.19719053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana

ITA

Hi Amp!

Last edited on 6/19/2010

*waving* oooh Hiya Win! Long time no "see"!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Hope you are well!Smile

Hi Amp--waving back to you!! Have a great day!

winamac1277033455.20719053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana
On 6/19/2010 ng said:

I have definitely noticed a difference in the quality of the leather, the BOC is cheaper feeling and not as soft. I think the BOC stands for "Born Only Cheaper"!{#emotions_dlg.sad} It's too bad, because some of the styles are cute, but if they aren't comfortable they not coming home with me!{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

ITA

I found one pair at Macys of BOC that were cute and comfy, but they were $50! They should have been $35 or $40.

lovestotea­ch1277037403.46714500 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Hi, winamac and amphitrite! Don't know too much about the shoes, just know that when I paid the full price for my Born grecian sandals last summer, it has been the only time that this brand has fit my feet. They are all leather and first ever, they give me some height as wedge is about 1 1/2". You can't imagine my excitement over this. Have not worn a shoe with any height successfully for years. I can also walk in these w/o problems. (no blisters, sore back) However, this style wouldn't be for hiking!

Last edited on 6/20/2010

Last edited on 6/20/2010

Loves ~ dancin' & prancin' ~ ♥ ♥ ♥

winamac1277038037.3119053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana
On 6/20/2010 lovestoteach said:

Hi, winamac and amphitrite! Don't know too much about the shoes, just know that when I paid the full price for my Born grecian sandals last summer, it has been the only time that this brand has fit my feet. They are all leather and first ever, they give me some height as wedge is about 1 1/2". You can't imagine my excitement over this. Have not worn a shoe with any height successful for years. I can also walk in these w/o problems. (no blisters, sore back) However, this style wouldn't be for hiking!

Hi loves! I'm glad you are loving your grecian sandals. Born are so comfy. Some BOC's are ok, but others are as hard as cardboard--unfortunately--and they are not inexpensive! Have a great day!

lovestotea­ch1277038641.36714500 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx
On 6/20/2010 winamac said:

Hi, winamac and amphitrite! Don't know too much about the shoes, just know that when I paid the full price for my Born grecian sandals last summer, it has been the only time that this brand has fit my feet. They are all leather and first ever, they give me some height as wedge is about 1 1/2". You can't imagine my excitement over this. Have not worn a shoe with any height successful for years. I can also walk in these w/o problems. (no blisters, sore back) However, this style wouldn't be for hiking!

Hi loves! I'm glad you are loving your grecian sandals. Born are so comfy. Some BOC's are ok, but others are as hard as cardboard--unfortunately--and they are not inexpensive! Have a great day!

Wish I knew what was new or at least going on in your lives! The 50's come and chat strand has been rather empty! Will look for both of you on the boards!

PS mac and amp: have a great day to you, too!

Last edited on 6/20/2010

Last edited on 6/20/2010

Loves ~ dancin' & prancin' ~ ♥ ♥ ♥

wildcat fan1277043600.993402 PostsRegistered 1/18/2010

Hi, winamac and amphitrite! Don't know too much about the shoes, just know that when I paid the full price for my Born grecian sandals last summer, it has been the only time that this brand has fit my feet. They are all leather and first ever, they give me some height as wedge is about 1 1/2". You can't imagine my excitement over this. Have not worn a shoe with any height successfully for years. I can also walk in these w/o problems. (no blisters, sore back) However, this style wouldn't be for hiking!

Last edited on 6/20/2010

I love my Born heels! As a teacher, I'm on my feet all day, and I've had people make comments about how they don't understand why I'm able to wear heels almost every day. Wearing Born heels is not like wearing other heels. I find them very comfy. I've even worn them on field trips!

wildcat fan1277043947.913402 PostsRegistered 1/18/2010
On 6/19/2010 ng said:

LOL. . .BOC = Born Only Cheaper!!!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

To be honest, I'm sort of surprised by how expensive the BOC are at TJ Maxx compared to the Born. The Born shoes are usually $35 to $40. (I once got a pair on clearance for $10.) The BOC by Born are $29 to $40. Some of the BOCs are more expensive than the Borns. Since they are very different shoes, I would think that there would be a significant difference in price.

Page 1 of 1