131 Members and 18604 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Garment measurement question: What does "sweep straight" mean?

Started 1274032815.443 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1274052743.487 by JustJazzmom

I'm looking at the measurement charts and can't figure out what this term refers to.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
briiii1274032872.1276305 PostsRegistered 2/18/2010Chicago

I think it's the measurement of the opening at the bottom of the garment.


Shelbelle1274038381.60336477 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I always thought it was the fullest part of the garment, where it will go over the hips.

Kathlen1274039558.1714875 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

Sweep:  You will see this measurement most commonly found on coats or jackets.  The sweep is the circumference of the bottom hem of a skirt, dress, coat, or jacket.  For a jacket or coat, measure the sweep across the bottom hem from open edge to open edge.  For a skirt or dress, measure the sweep by laying the garment flat with seams matched, measure end to end, then double.  

From Ebay website.

They made me change my name! So, I dropped an 'e.' Formerly Kathleen.

jlee131274043527.81132 PostsRegistered 5/21/2009

Thank you!  that helps to know.

JustJazzmom1274052743.48329819 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

Kathleen, now why didn't QVC put this kind of definition in their glossary of definitions? This would have helped if this was there. Also another one which I didn't know until someone here explained it: HPS means High point shoulder and its another sewing term used. This is the kind of info that we need in the QVC glossary.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

Page 1 of 1