New Holiday Decor
44 Members and 16616 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Look at my ugly arms!

Started 1272756152.233 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1273163501.747 by KittyLouWho

Susan Graver confirmed something I've been thinking for a while now - short sleeves tops are less flattering than sleeveless tops if you don't like your upper arms.  For some reason, no matter how I try to tone the rest of me, those pesky upper arms just don't want to cooperate.  I find that I can accept the way I look in tanks and sleeveless dresses, but anything with a short sleeve just screams "Look at my ugly arms!"  Does anyone else have arm issues?  I'd rather have leg issues.. they're easier to hide.

>^..^< house cat

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
KittyLouWho1272756435.81726542 PostsRegistered 1/11/2006

I just find that many short sleeves have a matronly look about them.

I like my upper arms though and am totally shameless about showing them off.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

"You make me feel like I've been locked out of heaven, for too long, for too long"
Bruno Mars

house_cat1272756719.9978133 PostsRegistered 6/28/2009Southern California
On 5/1/2010 thunderkitty said:

I just find that many short sleeves have a matronly look about them.

I like my upper arms though and am totally shameless about showing them off.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

>^..^< house cat

lucieinthe­sky1272810222.3494 PostsRegistered 3/15/2010Dallas, Tx

I remember when I was in my 30's and my mother complained about her upper arms. She would even take the hem out of sleeves and lengthen them as much as possible, even going so far as to add lace to make them cover more of her arm. I thought that was crazy. At that time, I had really thin arms. Welll, now I totally understand what my mother went through. I now have the same problem. No matter how much I exercise, those flabby upper arms just don't go away.  Short of surgery, are there any solutions to this problem?

life is like a snowstorm.....you'll meet a lot of flakes

lulu21272810817.9421428 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

I have one arm that has multiple surgical scars the entire length.  It also has next to no muscle tone.  Even in the summer I wear elbow or 3/4 length sleeves.  Truthfully when you are warm it doesn't matter if you are sleeveless or with sleeves.  Hot is hot. personally I think a capped sleeve looks better than most short sleeves.

lovestotea­ch1272810854.28314826 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Arm issues here!  Cover 'em up!  Cover 'em up!  That's why I thrive on THIN long sleeved tees in the summer, made out of really high quality cotton.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

Loves ~ dancin' & prancin' ~ ♥ ♥ ♥

4OU21272810885.683383 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007

Upper arms are just the worst.  I have always had skinny arms and have always worked out with free weights and now on Pilates for the past five years and I still have the upper arm flab.  Mine started to go downhill as I turned 60 and, in my opinion, there is nothing we can do about it except maybe some kind of surgery and that is not an option for me. 

I'd even bet that Marjolein (Pilates), with her great looking, toned arms, will have the same problem, because muscle does not keep this from happening.  In my late fifties, I was just going oh man that'll never happen to me because I've done all this exercise for all these years, but well.....

house_cat1272811054.9378133 PostsRegistered 6/28/2009Southern California

I need to find exercises that explicitly target that area.  I do yoga, and it has toned just about every other area to a very noticeable degree, but the back of my upper arms are still gross... I've seen grossER, but I can't stand them.  Like Susan was pointing out, though, and i agree.. when I wear sleeveless tops, it doesn't highlight the area as badly as when I wear short sleeves that seem to stop right there and call attention to the area.  Of course I love the cooler weather when I can wear a long sleeve.. but in this climate I have to be realistic.

>^..^< house cat

lovestodan­ce1272812694.2834915 PostsRegistered 6/12/2006

Wondering about that new shaking hand held gadget?

Forgot what it's called?

Did i see it on the Q,or on hsn?

Have seen it on informercials lately.

house_cat1272820158.2178133 PostsRegistered 6/28/2009Southern California
On 5/2/2010 lovestodance said:

Wondering about that new shaking hand held gadget?

Forgot what it's called?

Did i see it on the Q,or on hsn?

Have seen it on informercials lately.

I saw that one morning - looks like a 5 lb. weight kind of thing with bouncers on it and you jiggle it up and down in kind of an interesting motion that I can describe in a couple of words here, but I'd be sure to get poofed.  Anyway, I'm not into buying gadgets, because that usually ensures that I won't use them.  In yoga, for instance, every muscle of the body is used and STILL.. those flabby upper back of the arm muscles don't seem to be affected.  Are there muscles there?  What are they called?  I have to find some simple exercises that I can do whenever I have a minute or two here or there that targets those muscles and doesn't require equipment.  If anyone knows what to do about that, please post a suggestion.

>^..^< house cat

Brabls1272820426.82714740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

Try Sit & Be Fit on PBS.  I start getting tones fast with those exercises.  I have had to take 6 weeks off due to surgery & notice the difference in my arms.

Subject1272820500.07311269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

I have fabulous arms - people comment on them all the time.Better than the Presidents wife's arms! MY problem is my legs- I am bowlegged and have arthritis in both knees along with veins-UGH! I have such a hard time finding pants that look nice and do not emphasize my bowleggedness.  So do not wish for the other problem- be happy with what you have. I proudly show my arms- Proudly show your legs!

Last edited on 5/2/2010

Last edited on 5/2/2010

house_cat1272820945.0778133 PostsRegistered 6/28/2009Southern California
On 5/2/2010 Brabls said:

Try Sit & Be Fit on PBS.  I start getting tones fast with those exercises.  I have had to take 6 weeks off due to surgery & notice the difference in my arms.

Thanks, Brabis.. I'm going to set my DVR right now.  This sounds like it might have exercises I can do at my desk when there are no kids in the classroom - or maybe I can get them all in on the action once in a while, as we have 95 minute block periods and 7th graders need a break too {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

>^..^< house cat

KittyLouWho1272825586.63326542 PostsRegistered 1/11/2006
On 5/2/2010 MattsMom said:

Upper arms are just the worst.  I have always had skinny arms and have always worked out with free weights and now on Pilates for the past five years and I still have the upper arm flab.  Mine started to go downhill as I turned 60 and, in my opinion, there is nothing we can do about it except maybe some kind of surgery and that is not an option for me. 

I'd even bet that Marjolein (Pilates), with her great looking, toned arms, will have the same problem, because muscle does not keep this from happening.  In my late fifties, I was just going oh man that'll never happen to me because I've done all this exercise for all these years, but well.....

This is just not true!  I am almost 58 and my arms are showing no sign of going downhill, quite the contrary!  I lift heavy weights (I am not bulky) and I train hard, have done so for many years.  I teach a kettlebell class on Sunday mornings and this morning one of the women said that their goal in the class was to have arms like mine.

My experience is that women do not lift heavy enough (because of their unfounded fear of getting "big" and "bulky").  The only way to keep your arms from going flabby is to train hard.  Muscle DOES keep this from happening.

I asked the class this morning, "Do I look bulky to you?"  "NO!" the said, "We want your arms!"

Big, compound movements with heavy weight.  Deadlifts, overhead presses, pull ups, barbell/dumbbell/kettlebell rows, push ups.  These will give you the arms you want (not to mention the shoulders and back) Ditch the isolation movements like bicep curls and tricep presses, they're a big waste of time and energy.

I know of what I speak.  I've been training for almost 30 years and I teach others how to train.

tkitty

"You make me feel like I've been locked out of heaven, for too long, for too long"
Bruno Mars

realworldg­irl1272825663.1492 PostsRegistered 4/25/2007

My arms have always been harder to tone then any other part and at 47 that has not changed.  I make it a point to work my arms constantly.  What I found to work for me is using various weights.  I started with 10lb hand weights for bicep curls then switch to 20lb then back to 10 I do at least 2 sets of 12 reps with each weight.  For my triceps I do the same thing but with a lower weight level.  I also do old school push ups I started with 10 every morning now I do 50.  Chair raises are another good one for the arms.  I mix up my arm workouts one day I do them on a stability ball one day I do them on a chair or standing. The point is whatever exercise I am doing I work my arms at the same time.  Works out really well when you are doing squats and lunges.   Even just bringing groceries in.  Take two bags of groceries or one depending on your strength while bringing them in do bicep curls.  It also helps to do as much cardio as possible to burn off excess fat.  Its true you loose muscle as you age but not if you constantly work them.  Even when you are at work do arm raises in your desk chair works the back of the arms like no ones business!!!

Mzsidny1272826123.1131348 PostsRegistered 3/22/2010

It is my belief that we are so focused on our own flaws, that we really don't notice each others.

Beauty in Sisterhood!

4OU21272839439.17383 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007

Whoa tkitty......sure didn't intend to get anybody riled up.  Send us a little message on this board in three or four years and let us know how all that is going.  Oh and it won't just be your upper arms.  

KittyLouWho1272841595.02726542 PostsRegistered 1/11/2006

Whoa tkitty......sure didn't intend to get anybody riled up.  Send us a little message on this board in three or four years and let us know how all that is going.  Oh and it won't just be your upper arms.  

There is no reason why there should be a dramatic decline in 3 or 4 years.  Or do you have a scientific basis for that statement?

Bruno Mars

Qgirl1272841824.9534167 PostsRegistered 4/20/2005

This is why Chicos and J Jill have come out with elbow sleeve t shirts!  I love them.  They really don't go down to your elbow, but they are a perfect length for those that don't like their jiggle like me.

Missy12231272842908.2131614 PostsRegistered 6/26/2007

I wish more designers would come out with elbow length sleeves on their tops.  They're hard to find so I usually opt for 3/4 sleeve.  This works fine until the extreme heat sets in during the summer months.  I then wear short sleeves but never in the evening or when going out.

wonderwoma­n1001272843222.622737 PostsRegistered 1/21/2008
On 5/2/2010 thunderkitty said:

This is just not true!  I am almost 58 and my arms are showing no sign of going downhill, quite the contrary!  I lift heavy weights (I am not bulky) and I train hard, have done so for many years.  I teach a kettlebell class on Sunday mornings and this morning one of the women said that their goal in the class was to have arms like mine.

My experience is that women do not lift heavy enough (because of their unfounded fear of getting "big" and "bulky").  The only way to keep your arms from going flabby is to train hard.  Muscle DOES keep this from happening.

I asked the class this morning, "Do I look bulky to you?"  "NO!" the said, "We want your arms!"

Big, compound movements with heavy weight.  Deadlifts, overhead presses, pull ups, barbell/dumbbell/kettlebell rows, push ups.  These will give you the arms you want (not to mention the shoulders and back) Ditch the isolation movements like bicep curls and tricep presses, they're a big waste of time and energy.

I know of what I speak.  I've been training for almost 30 years and I teach others how to train.

tkitty

Thanks for all the info Tkitty.  I can only use 3 pd weights due to degenerative arthritis in my neck and back but I really do as much (and more) as I can cause I like wearing sleeveless and don't want flabby arms. I'm 50 and do see that they don't look as good as 10 years ago(from the back)  but I'm not just going to give up and wear sleeves.      Question: What are deadlifts that you referred to?  Thanks.

Merle Byrd1272843379.714655 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009

Well, I hope tk is right.

But it can always be worse.  You could have giant patches of red, scaly, psoriasis on your elbows.  Very unsightly. (sniff){#emotions_dlg.sad}

Merle

KittyLouWho1272844035.0926542 PostsRegistered 1/11/2006
On 5/2/2010 Merle Byrd said:

Well, I hope tk is right.

But it can always be worse.  You could have giant patches of red, scaly, psoriasis on your elbows.  Very unsightly. (sniff){#emotions_dlg.sad}

tk is always right.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

HI MERLE GERRRRRRRL!

Bruno Mars

KittyLouWho1272844534.59326542 PostsRegistered 1/11/2006
On 5/2/2010 wonderwoman100 said:
On 5/2/2010 thunderkitty said:

tkitty

Thanks for all the info Tkitty.  I can only use 3 pd weights due to degenerative arthritis in my neck and back but I really do as much (and more) as I can cause I like wearing sleeveless and don't want flabby arms. I'm 50 and do see that they don't look as good as 10 years ago(from the back)  but I'm not just going to give up and wear sleeves.      Question: What are deadlifts that you referred to?  Thanks.

Hi WonderWoman,

As the guy in this video points out, deadlifts are one of the best exercises you can do.  They work the entire posterior chain but your arms will also benefit.

My personal best is 230 lbs. (At 57 years old and{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} a bodyweight of 128 lbs. I like to brag about that.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-wOHN5tdw

Bruno Mars

house_cat1272847473.0538133 PostsRegistered 6/28/2009Southern California

Wow! Thanks girls!  I'm not sure what a deadlift is, but if it has anything to do with lifting 200 lbs. I'm thinking it might not be for me.  In yoga there are positions that are very similar to pushups - and I've been practicing for some time, so I have to say that my arms are toned - just not enough and they are larger than I want them to be so I need something that I can do when I have spare minutes.  I'm interested in the chair raises that RealWorldGal was talking about, so I might have to Google them up to see what they are, but I'm also going to watch the PBS show Brabis mentioned.  All great ideas, but it is good to know that if I work hard enough I can get past this, because I used to have very nice arms and I hate to think I'll be hiding them for the rest of my life.

>^..^< house cat

lkjhg1272850042.4033998 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008

And you know that because? You're wrong. Just because this is what happened to you does mean it will happen to everyone. I agree with thunderkitty. I know lots of women in their 50's and 60's (myself included) whose arms look fabulous because they train hard and use heavy weights. Maybe you should take tk's advice.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next