Creede Silver Sale
16 Members and 12821 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Moth holes in clothes

Started 1270308123.597 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1270585195.943 by LuvitorLIT

My husband got his light wool suit out yesterday. It had been hanging in the closet, just as always. The moths had gotten to it. This is a first for us. Is there anything we can do? The pants are fine, but they got the jacket in two or three small places. How do you all prevent this? I thought you only needed to worry about this if clothes were in long-term storage (basement or attic). This is our bedroom closet!

Page 1 of 1
JackieB291270308256.4453 PostsRegistered 2/23/2010

I don't know if it really helps or not but I have ceder blocks tucked into the sweater shelves and all over the closet.

swissmiss1270308621.0372226 PostsRegistered 10/3/2005

I have had this problem--really annoys me!  You can take items to a weaver--very expensive but worth it to save an already expensive item.  I have a long RL sweater that I am taking--it will be worth the $$.

I have a cedar chest but it is our hanging clothes that are the problem.  I am going to seek out some hanging cedar blocks and other similar items to try to solve this problem.  I will check back to see what others say.  Thanks!

cotton__581270312660.2382 PostsRegistered 7/7/2006

Some cleaners use blue bags that repel the moths a little bit. Used to get them for free when we used dry cleaning a lot. Otherwise, I use the cedar things. My Mom used to use mothballs, but phew they sure do stink.

MaryMD1270321660.19479 PostsRegistered 5/3/2008

I have hanging cedar blocks inside some garments and scattered around on the hanging bars in my walking closet.  I also strategically placed some cedar blocks and some herbal bags with beautiful scents on the shelves.  Finally, at the very corner of my closet, I keep a box of Moth Balls (unopened, but after removal of plastic wrap), which lasts years with very slow sublimation.

I usually leave the closet door partially open to let fresh air and some sun-rays come in.Smile

Belle_Femme1270322011.5733770 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007Indy

I've never had a problem until this year.  They got at my cashmere sweaters (have a drawer of them) and ruined two of them, a turtleneck and a cardigan.  Ugh.  One other v-neck sweater had a tiny hole I was able to repair without it being noticeable.  I keep them in my cedar closet in the spring and summer, but this happened over the winter in my dresser!  I'll be using moth balls from now on.

Krimpette1270322250.0810022 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

I feel for you.  Wish I had advice.  I never buy cashmere any more.  Anything I've ever bought that is cashmere has been eaten.  No matter what I've put in my closests.  I've tried cedar blocks, some "natural" product in little bags, etc.  In my house, the moths just adore cashmere!

starsdanci­ng1270323663.5932088 PostsRegistered 3/8/2006

I have read some bugs do not like Bounce dryer sheets. You might want to do a google search to see if this includes moths.

kar321270326477.8771981 PostsRegistered 3/28/2009
On 4/3/2010 JackieB29 said:

I don't know if it really helps or not but I have ceder blocks tucked into the sweater shelves and all over the closet.

i use cedar blocks too they sell them in a pack at bed bath and beyond i replace them every once in awile and so far so good.i also get the cotton garmet bags for my good clothing and they have 2 cedar blocks inside.the garmet bags are a little pricey like $22 or something for one but they are nice and worth it.i can fit 3 or 4 wool winter coats in one bag if you use the thin hangers.i really think the combo of using the heavy cotton like material garmet bags along with the cedar blocks do the trick.they also sell sweater bags that are made out of the same material with cedar blocks inside and i put all my sweaters in them.

Last edited on 4/3/2010

Last edited on 4/3/2010

Starfish1270335171.66105 PostsRegistered 1/29/2007

Had a problem for the first time this winter.  They got my cashmere sweaters and my beautiful wool woven scarves!!!  Recently, I put all my wool and cashmere in those space bags with cedar blocks and I'm crossing my fingers.

Evangeline1270423982.16723 PostsRegistered 10/6/2006

I don't have a good idea for a moth repellant, as my sweaters have been the recipients of several moth holes over the years.  A few months ago, I purchased real distilled cedar oil and I have been using it to "polish" the interior wood in my closets.  The jury is still out on that one.

I did want to share a remedy for small moth holes, though.  I haven't bought any of it lately, but there used to be a powder that you would mix with finely cut threads from an inside seam of the garment that was damaged.  In other words, you would take some threads from a place that didn't show, chop them up with scissors until the fibers were like fuzz, and mix with a bit of the powder.  Then you would fill the moth hole with your mixture, put cloths over and under it, and iron until the powder melted and the hole was essentially filled. Of course, the quality of the resulting repair depended on the size of the hole. The powder could be purchased at fabric stores, and it saved many a garment for me.  Maybe someone remembers the name of the product?  

Catstamper1270470354.7635922 PostsRegistered 1/28/2009Baltimore area

Starfish, you might want to rethink putting wool in the space bags.  They say on the presentations that wool has to breathe and they don't recommend putting it in the space pags.  Better to get canvas storage bags and put your moth balls or cedar blocks in there with the woolens.  and be careful that the cedar doesn't touch the material because the cedar oils can stain.

We get the little tiny pantry moths.  They sell natural traps for them that actually work - they are little cardboard wedge-shaped boxes with a lure and a sticky side.  It's a little nasty when the sticky side gets full of stuck-on moths, but better than losing a good wood garment.  I put them in each closet, in the pantry, on top of the fridge, and on a high piece of furniture in each room. It has cut way down on them.

Cat
Fairly medium BE, brownish gold hair with weird white highlights (where did they come from???) green eyes, except when they're blue! In memory of my Jazzie Cat, who went to kitty heaven.

Buttercups1270470619.2474093 PostsRegistered 5/15/2007

After getting a couple of holes myself I asked my dry cleaner for her advice, and she told me to put peppercorns in the pockets of wool garments.  Since I began doing this, no moth holes and it was about ten years ago.

I'm appalled, appalled to find that sanctimony is going on here.

namealread­ytaken1270475899.1837738 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

Lavender. When we had a Crabtree & Evelyn here, I used to buy those spheres that had holes in them, fill them with their lavender (which they sold by the cup, etc) and the spheres had a silk loop tie on it, and hang it over hangers.  I did not do one for each item, but spaced them about 10 items apart and then set some open containers of lavender on the shelves and around the floor.

I need to redo this, to some degree.  I still have those spheres.  They look like clear Christmas ornaments and have appropriate spaced holes similar to a salt/pepper shaker, so the fragrance can emit the fragrance.  I kept the containers but no longer have a C&E, so I get lavender at any place that I can find adequate supply, Kirkland, International Market, Fresh Market, etc.

Last edited on 4/5/2010

Last edited on 4/5/2010

babcias51270581998.811376 PostsRegistered 1/12/2009Az.

I live in Az.   I've found that crickets also seem to love consuming certain clothing as well..Even hanging clothes (which are always clean)..Very irritating.

babcias5

LuvitorLIT1270585195.942941 PostsRegistered 3/23/2005NYC

After getting a couple of holes myself I asked my dry cleaner for her advice, and she told me to put peppercorns in the pockets of wool garments.  Since I began doing this, no moth holes and it was about ten years ago.

I never heard of peppercorns but I will try it.  I had that problem when I went to pull out a wool suit that still had the tags on I wanted to wear it to a luncheon and I saw that the moths had quite the feast.  I brought mothballs like my mother use to do even though they smell I'll deal with that rather than have my clothes ruined especially since I don't wear things right away.

Page 1 of 1