TSV(R) Preview
15 Members and 12386 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Has anyone had a Professional Bra fitter fit you?

Started 1268845567.207 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1269243591.74 by desertlady

Just came from shopping and came home with "0".  I can not find a bra that fits.  I am not overweight or odd looking and I measured according to the instructions and I took 5 bras into the fitting room and not one fit.

Just wondered if anyone has been professionally fitted.  I put the shirts back on the rack because they were the type that you need some modisty factor when you wear them.

Page 1 of 1
crdlb1268846332.17713162 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

Imagine having to tell someone that was your job! LOL Oh, yes, I"m a Professional Bra Fitter. Wonder if there's another name for it like  Certified Foundation Consultant.

BTW, Yes. I've had it done. And it doesn't matter what size you are, different mfgrs. make different fitting bras. You have to try on every brand until you find the one that fits you. Even then, not all the styles in that brand will work.

I would suggest going to a dept store and telling the clerks what your fit problems are. They will most likely know which brand to suggest to you. Often, you may wear a different size than the measurements say in a particular bra. Just always buy two of the same one and rotate them every day so they don't stretch out and they dry thoroughly between wearings. They'll last longer that way.

I used to work in lingerie at Nordstrom many moons ago, and so I know the sales people there are familiar with how each style fits. 

Good luck!

Goofie1268846347.69711 PostsRegistered 4/13/2006

I have been fitted at Oprah's favorite bra store in Chicago.  I must say I'm not impressed. The bras I purchased on my own fit better than the bras the "professionals" sold me.  That said, I'm VERY busty (I wear a DDD), I don't know how large or small  your breasts are so a professional fitting may work better for you.  I don't know where you live, I live in Michigan, our local JC Penneys and Macys stores offer professional fittings. Perhaps you have a Penneys or Macys near you.

Goofie1268846358.32311 PostsRegistered 4/13/2006

I have been fitted at Oprah's favorite bra store in Chicago.  I must say I'm not impressed. The bras I purchased on my own fit better than the bras the "professionals" sold me.  That said, I'm VERY busty (I wear a DDD), I don't know how large or small  your breasts are so a professional fitting may work better for you.  I don't know where you live, I live in Michigan, our local JC Penneys and Macys stores offer professional fittings. Perhaps you have a Penneys or Macys near you.

azqfan1268846452.0873518 PostsRegistered 10/24/2004

Nordstrom has great bra fitters.  I had it done by Wacoal during an Pink Ribbon event awhile back. It is good to give you a baseline for size but the Wacoal rep said even their colors run differently in a style so there's still a lot of trying on.

loveangel11268846487.953362 PostsRegistered 2/22/2010

lol ..funny topic

JustJazzmom1268846587.7328099 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

With the close to 30 pound weight loss, I did lose on the sides  of my bra area. I did get fitted and now am one size  "bra inch wise" less than I was 30 pounds heavier. Thankfully the cup size didn't change! It's a definitely good idea.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

twisan1268846602.93500 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006

Bopper,

I did have a professional fitting at Nordies a couple of years ago.  Found that I was wearing a band size too big, and a cup size too small.  The sales person recommended a couple of different brands and styles, and I ended up with Wacoal, which is all that I wear now.

Good luck and regards,

S-

ladyroxanne1268848813.87311001 PostsRegistered 3/25/2008northern ca

I got fitted at Macy's some time ago and was mortified but she was insistent.  It was worth it though because I was wearing the wrong size.

Melly1231268849178.732547 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008

Maybe you could have your BFF fit you. I find that my measurements are dirrerent just because I'm the one holding the tape. If my dd takes the tape in her hands, I can relax, stand straighter and pose more naturally for measurements. Then take these results to the girls in the lingere dept with a description of your concerns to tell them. Like someone said, they know how their stock will fit. Good luck! As long as there are foundation garments to buy, women will have this problem. At least the real bones have gone by the wayside.....

TootyJane1268849267.253765 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006Sunny San Diego

Yes, I have done a bra fitting every year since I saw Oprah's show.  I went to Nordstrom and found out, of course, I was wearing the wrong size bra.  The salesgirl was so nice.  Once she measured me, she asked me questions about the kind of bra I like (i.e., underwire or no underwire, 2 or 3-hook, etc.).  She then went out onto the sales floor and brought back about 10-15 bras and I went through each and picked out what I liked and then tried those on.  I have to say that I was really impressed.  Oh, the reason I go every year -- the salesgirl told me that even a 5 to 10-lb weight gain or loss will make a difference!  HTH

erica g1268849464.583575 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004So Cal

I had a bra fitting at Macys a couple weeks ago, I was wearing the right band size but the wrong cup size.  It was also informative because they showed me the styles that I should get for the best fit.

BonnieBelle1268849595.3719392 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

Go to Victoria's Secret.  After I watched the Oprah bra show, I went and got fitted and they recommended a molded bra.  I would have never even considered a molded bra thinking that it would add bulk, but it does not.  It just gives you a great shape.  Best thing I ever did.  Makes such a big difference.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1268849940.9314316 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

I never buy a bra without being fitted first.  I go to Nordstrom.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

7catsmom1268850196.91580 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007

Yes.  I have had good luck at Nordstrom and Dillard's.  I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of the major department stores have sales associates who have been trained to be certified bra fitters.  It only takes a minute and they do it over your clothing.  It is well worth it to get an experienced and knowledgeable sales associate who will help you get the right style and size.  Just because you are measured and have a size, that doesn't mean that every bra in that size will work for you.  Some brands and styles within a brand run different.  A good sales associate/fitter can save lots of time and aggravation by suggesting styles to start out trying and then checking to see how they work.  Then from there, if needed, she can bring you other styles and/or sizes so that you don't have to keep getting dressed and going back out to look, etc.  If you get a sales associate that doesn't seem to be getting it right or whom you don't feel comfortable with, just leave and go to a different store, or go back another day when a different fitter is there.

donasmom1268850328.3373032 PostsRegistered 4/21/2006

Yes, I had myself fitted after I got back to my pre baby weight.  I go to Nordstroms.  But even though she professionally fitted me, I still had to try on many different bras before I found what worked.  It reminded me of trying on jeans.

Formally vicosmom

nlwilliams1268850405.0771648 PostsRegistered 5/10/2007

Yes, I had it done at Intimacy in New York, changed my whole outlook. I wore one of the bras right out of the store.. "the girls" were high proud!!! and The fitters in Dept Stores do not compare.. you will not get the right size.. because they probably don't have it!! It's been said about 90 percent of women are wearing the wrong bra size. I'm due to make another pilgrimage to New York soon to get refitted.

stevie721268850941.782255 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009Western NY

Hi bopper

I, also, have to go to a department store that has a "Bra Fitter".  I've been wearing Warner's Friday Bra (which has been discontinued) and really need some new ones.   I was thinking of going to JC Penney this week.   

It really upsets me that the department store I go to doesn't have a "fitter".  In fact, there is absolutely no one there to help you.  

Thanks to all the ladies who posted about Nordies -- but we have none here!

'

Janet from WNY

2zbeach1268853349.212286 PostsRegistered 5/2/2005

I was fitted at the store Oprah talks about and was not impressed.  Most of the bras she brought in , according to the measurements, were too large.  Now when I buy off the shelf, I buy a size smaller.  I'm capable of fitting myself without bubbles or rolls.

cerinthe1268853750.992608 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

Yes, I was also fit at Nordstrom's during a fit event and it was worth it. I knew I had the wrong size on, and the rep did a great job bringing in a bunch of bras to try on and measured me for band fit and gave helpful opinions. One bra was perfect immediately, but not 't shirt friendly'. I had a hard time finding a tshirt friendly bra (smooth.) We got close, but when I got home, I felt like that bra still didn't fit right, and ordered one cup up on size (DDD from a DD, which was my fit in most of the bras,) of the same model of bra. Voila, perfect. I think they ran out of this size in that model at the store, since I had tried on DDD's in other bras and they were too big. So the result? Several great bras that completely lift up the girls, fit great and make all my clothes look amazing. Worth every penny, even though I had to do added research on my own. :) I definitely recommend the fit events (I know Macys also had them going on during the same time Nordstrom's did.)

And don't be afraid to ask for wider straps, or less lace, or certain features you want. This will help the sales associate to bring in exactly what you want. They know how each brand runs, and they're all different!

I think this is the fit event I went to: Hopefully you can find someone local. (This is for 2010 even though the link implies 08)

http://wacoal-america.com/fitforthecure08.html

Last edited on 3/17/2010

Last edited on 3/17/2010

Last edited on 3/17/2010

Fifi11268867735.3434753 PostsRegistered 1/21/2005

I go every fall and get "fit" - my favorite is Soma or Nordy's.

VS does not have band-sizes to fit me -If you're a 32C+ it's tough other than Nordy's and Soma IMHO!

Good luck!  

Sister Gol­den Hair1269218604.0414544 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

Best Bra Ever!! Breezies  A0461

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

franinnyc1269220199.65749 PostsRegistered 2/27/2005

Yes, I too have used that nationwide bra shop. It's okay.  The bras fit. Went to Macy's last October for a special promotion for breast cancer research.  Great service all around.  Bought 2 bras that fit.  I've lost a lot of weight and my old bras just don't fit anymore.

Surprising such good service from Macy's in New York City. Normally, surly is the order of the day with the sales help.

desertlady1269243591.74634 PostsRegistered 10/11/2007
On 3/17/2010 BonnieBelle said:

Go to Victoria's Secret.  After I watched the Oprah bra show, I went and got fitted and they recommended a molded bra.  I would have never even considered a molded bra thinking that it would add bulk, but it does not.  It just gives you a great shape.  Best thing I ever did.  Makes such a big difference.

I went to VS and one "fitter" told me I should be wearing one size, then she had to leave and turned me over to another woman, she told me a different size. After trying about 15 bras, none of which felt comfortable, I left and went back to what I had been wearing.

There's no Nordy near me so I will try somewhere else some other time.

Page 1 of 1