TSV(R) Preview
163 Members and 16784 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Need measurement & size chart help!

Started 1268425131.473 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1268431606.993 by 7catsmom
replies

I want to order some clothes from QVC, but am wary...my body is a weird shape, and it's hard to find clothes that fit just right.  About measuring: should I be wearing clothes or not while measuring?  Most importantly, should I measure my bust with or without a bra on?

And the size chart...Is it very accurate?  What about across brands?  For example, which brands seem to match up with the size chart accurately?  I know it may vary within a brand, but I'm hoping for some brands that are sized consistently.... This will be a tremendous help, as I really need some new clothes & getting out to the stores is difficult.

Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 1
AGV1268426868.561062 PostsRegistered 7/15/2008

I am larger on top and smaller on bottom (10-12 on top and 6-8 on bottom).  The size charts help, but I have found that I tend to wear the same size in a brand.  Example:  Susan Graver and Quacker Factory - Small; Marc Bouwer and Motto - Medium.   I find that Motto Jeans fit me exactly the same as department store jeans so I just order my regular size 8.  I do watch the videos for the item's chest measurement...this helps me much more than the standard size chart.  I hope this helps and Happy Shopping.

carefulsho­pper1268427080.9984 PostsRegistered 3/15/2008Baton Rouge, Louisiana
On 3/12/2010 AGV said:

I am larger on top and smaller on bottom (10-12 on top and 6-8 on bottom).  The size charts help, but I have found that I tend to wear the same size in a brand.  Example:  Susan Graver and Quacker Factory - Small; Marc Bouwer and Motto - Medium.   I find that Motto Jeans fit me exactly the same as department store jeans so I just order my regular size 8.  I do watch the videos for the item's chest measurement...this helps me much more than the standard size chart.  I hope this helps and Happy Shopping.

Thanks, AGV!  I have the opposite problem--bigger on the bottom.  A question for you: When you see the chest measurement of the item, do you match it you your measurement or need it to be slightly bigger?  I'm really confused about this!  Also, do you take your measurement w/ a bra on?

Thanks again!

7catsmom1268427133.21580 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007

I believe that you should measure yourself without clothes, but do wear a bra (and undies are fine, I'm sure).

I don't order very much from QVC, but each item has its own size information.  You find that by clicking at the bottom of the description, where it says "click here" like this:

"For more detailed Fit and Sizing information, please refer to the Sizing tab above. To see the specific garment measurements for this item, click here. "

(This was for the TSV in case the link actually works.)

I don't go by the generic size chart.  I mainly go by the bust, waist and sweep measurements to make sure an item will be large enough.  Hope this helps.

7catsmom1268427235.5531580 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007

For the specific garment measurements, those need to be larger than your actual measurements.

carefulsho­pper1268427691.384 PostsRegistered 3/15/2008Baton Rouge, Louisiana

7catsmom,

Thank you so much!  Can you give me a guideline for how many inches the garment measurements should be?  I really have no idea, and don't have the extra $$ to send lots of items back (otherwise I think I'd just "wing it").

I really appreciate your time & help w/ this!

Kathleen1268430761.12713129 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

You should always buy to fit your largest measurements and then alter the garment.

Size charts and garment measurements are not the same thing.  You need to factor in ease.  The amount of ease depends on style, fabric and how you like your clothes to fit your body.  There are many variables. 

See chart at link below:

http://butterick.mccall.com/ease-chart-pages-456.php

7catsmom1268431606.9931580 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007
On 3/12/2010 carefulshopper said:

7catsmom,

Thank you so much!  Can you give me a guideline for how many inches the garment measurements should be?  I really have no idea, and don't have the extra $$ to send lots of items back (otherwise I think I'd just "wing it").

I really appreciate your time & help w/ this!

I'm sorry.  I was interrupted for awhile.  The link Kathleen posted above has great information, so that probably explains it a lot better than I could.  But for me, my bust area is the largest part that I have to worry about, so if the bust measurement of the garment is at least 2" larger than me, especially for a stretchy fabric, then I would order it.  For a fabric that doesn't stretch, then I would allow more.  Also, if I am ordering a jacket similar to one I own, then I sometimes measure the one I have and go by that.  Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1