WEN by Chaz Dean
140 Members and 12065 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Dottie Graver????

Started 1340330547.77 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1340655172.637 by BernieH

Susan Graver said she designed for Bloomingdales ( must have been 30 years ago, hard to believe) and she is known as Dottie Graver. Really???? Who knows her by that??

She is something.

Page 1 of 2
wdeerest1340330670.92981 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I read somewhere here that "Dottie" came from her blouses that had polka-dots on them. I am sure there are other SG fans that can give you more details, but this is what I read.

colliegirls1340330925.6575945 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012
On 6/21/2012 wdeerest said:

I read somewhere here that "Dottie" came from her blouses that had polka-dots on them. I am sure there are other SG fans that can give you more details, but this is what I read.

That is what she said herself, but I think she names herself these names. Back before internet and QVC, who even heard of her to give her a nickname???

daisyk1340331930.043445 PostsRegistered 5/20/2011

I heard her talk about that once. I took it to mean that people in the "biz" would refer to her that way, not the public. JMO.

colliegirls1340332043.075945 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012
On 6/21/2012 jjbklk said:

I heard her talk about that once. I took it to mean that people in the "biz" would refer to her that way, not the public. JMO.

Thank you, that would make more sense.

Daysdee1340332159.1618749 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

I don't watch anymore, but wonder if she ever still mentions her mother-in-law Audrey Graver who designs with her.

Missey11340332777.2033174 PostsRegistered 12/21/2008Sierra Foothills CA

I say if they are still in business, she should go back to them. I just can't watch her, but the Q doesn't seem to mind all the complaints that are on these forums. Even if I wanted to buy her clothing, I can't stand to watch her. One would think she has a Tic, the way she can't stand still.

Local1340332837.3771511 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006
On 6/21/2012 Daysdee said:

I don't watch anymore, but wonder if she ever still mentions her mother-in-law Audrey Graver who designs with her.

She put up a new blog today and mentions Audrey and has a picture of her.

sunshine451340333235.64340696 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

I was coined the name "Dottie Graver" in the fashion industry since my Dot Collection was a huge hit in Bloomingdales, Nordstrom's, and many other major department stores across the nation. Well, the legend goes on...

via facebook

Last edited on 6/21/2012

Last edited on 6/21/2012

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

annabellet­hecat1340333341.32313653 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
Yes, a week or 2ago she mentioned her mother-in-law, Audrey. I think it is so rare these days to see or hear anyone who likes their job. She does, I find that refreshing. I cannot imagine having to be "up" like she does. She seldom has someone substituting for her. She's there, rain or shine. The older I get the more I notice that we women are often our harshest critics. Why? How did this happen? Think about it. When did you hear your husband or any male friend sit and criticize another male; be it someone in his life or on TV? He might make one comment, but then let it go. Getting back to Susan, or any other female. Constructive criticism is good. Even comments that bite sometimes. I don't believe in word police. However, we all need to say something nice every now and then. I'm trying, but I have a ways to go, unfortunately.

colliegirls1340333613.1735945 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012

I find it hard to believe her clothes were in Bloomingdales and Nordstroms. If its true, they must have been much different from what she brings to QVC. I only saw her clothes once about 20 years ago at a small discount store in a small town in SC, nothing upscale at all. I remember thinking that I had never seen that name before and I grew up shopping in a large city with the "upscale" department stores she mentions.

Katiesmom1340334952.9231304 PostsRegistered 9/13/2005

I love Susan and I think her over-talking is just because she is so excited about her clothing. It's nice to see someone who really enjoys what they do. And I like most of her clothing too.

baby burns1340335970.2738793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

all the years i have watched qvc, from the begining matter of fact, i never ever heard susand mention being in any stores! you figure if i have been here twenty some years, how come she just came up with this. the way she loves to talk, you would think she would have been saying it, that long or longer. i have shopped norstoms for that long also, i would have noticed that name. just the story does not add up, iam like the other lady, one time in some store, i saw a couple blouses. they were cheap but i do not buy. iam not being bad, just say it all does not add up. sure susand is happy all the time, she has made many a buck through the years.

annabellet­hecat1340335994.75313653 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
I guess when her boss gets bothered with some of the things that bothers, he or she will say something to Susan and it will stop, whatever it is.

Kitty Galo­re1340337243.921749 PostsRegistered 4/28/2009

Have had it with SG's clothing !! Just received 2 of her tank top's yesterday with lace trim at neckline and was really hoping this time I would get a top of her's that looked and fit well. The last few times my items were a disaster....well so are these !! I never learn ! They looked so nice on tv and on the models. First of all the material is very cheap looking and feeling, something I could get at Walmart for half the price, way too long , and to me looks like a pj top..... nothing I would wear out ! Now the bother of sending them back once again ! This is IT no more ordering clothes from Susan's line !

sunshine451340337633.23740696 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

her clothing was definitely available at bloomingdales...... i remember seeing it before there and was still there even at the same time she began on qvc.

Last edited on 6/22/2012

Last edited on 6/22/2012

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

clista1340358167.931090 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/21/2012 annabellethecat said: Yes, a week or 2ago she mentioned her mother-in-law, Audrey. I think it is so rare these days to see or hear anyone who likes their job. She does, I find that refreshing. I cannot imagine having to be "up" like she does. She seldom has someone substituting for her. She's there, rain or shine. The older I get the more I notice that we women are often our harshest critics. Why? How did this happen? Think about it. When did you hear your husband or any male friend sit and criticize another male; be it someone in his life or on TV? He might make one comment, but then let it go. Getting back to Susan, or any other female. Constructive criticism is good. Even comments that bite sometimes. I don't believe in word police. However, we all need to say something nice every now and then. I'm trying, but I have a ways to go, unfortunately.

Grreat post annabelle, I agree Susan has worked very hard and is proud of her products. I happen to like her clothes, not all, but many .It is time for the critics to give it a rest.

adelle381340361218.7037857 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007
On 6/21/2012 baby burns said:

all the years i have watched qvc, from the begining matter of fact, i never ever heard susand mention being in any stores! you figure if i have been here twenty some years, how come she just came up with this. the way she loves to talk, you would think she would have been saying it, that long or longer. i have shopped norstoms for that long also, i would have noticed that name. just the story does not add up, iam like the other lady, one time in some store, i saw a couple blouses. they were cheap but i do not buy. iam not being bad, just say it all does not add up. sure susand is happy all the time, she has made many a buck through the years.

I heard her and hosts mention she was at Bloomingdale's 20 years ago and her items were in their catalogue.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

Groucho Marx

yorkiegirl11340364714.437256 PostsRegistered 2/16/2007

i used to wear her clothes--i think they were called "SG Sport"--at least, one of her lines was. it was beautiful fabric, beautiful styling; i bought it whenever i could afford it. and she mentioned SG Sport on tv once, too. it wasn't at all like the items she brings to qvc--the fabrics were so nice back then. i actually found her clothing at a little boutique in the town where i lived; it also was at high end department stores, just like she said. now i like some of her fashions, but not the fabric. and her qvc fashions are way different from her old lines in the department stores.

susant1340365156.88362 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007my own world

My mom had some blouses years ago and they were that name ... They were really nice. she is not making that up at ll. one of the blouses was a black with yellow polka dots, I loved that blouse. ( at least I think they were yellow, could have been cream colored)

robomo1340365433.0939351 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

I watched her show last evening and I have to say again - PLEASE Susan, enough with the liquid knit! I have quite a few things of hers in my closets, but I do not care at all for the liquid knit.

cotto221340366063.3971521 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006
On 6/21/2012 colliegirls said:

I find it hard to believe her clothes were in Bloomingdales and Nordstroms. If its true, they must have been much different from what she brings to QVC. I only saw her clothes once about 20 years ago at a small discount store in a small town in SC, nothing upscale at all. I remember thinking that I had never seen that name before and I grew up shopping in a large city with the "upscale" department stores she mentions.

Rachel Zoe, Dennis Basso, Marc Bouwer, and others have actual couture lines sold elsewhere that clearly have no resemblance to the "designs" they pass off at qvc. If they can do it, I have no doubt that SG sold some of her slacks or whatever in Bloomingdales and Nordstroms.

Last edited on 6/22/2012

Last edited on 6/22/2012

LipstickDi­va1340368433.50337454 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I've never watched a SG show where she didn't mention that she was in these major dept. stores and it has been a topic of conversation on these boards several times before.

Really people have watched her shows and never heard her mention this?

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

colliegirls1340369416.5975945 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012
On 6/22/2012 cotto22 said:
On 6/21/2012 colliegirls said:

Rachel Zoe, Dennis Basso, Marc Bouwer, and others have actual couture lines sold elsewhere that clearly have no resemblance to the "designs" they pass off at qvc. If they can do it, I have no doubt that SG sold some of her slacks or whatever in Bloomingdales and Nordstroms.

Last edited on 6/22/2012

The above mentioned designers are well known and even their QVC clothes are more "designer" looking than most of QVC's lines. Perhaps Susan had her clothes tested in some markets years ago, they surely were not the polyester, liquid knit, items she has been selling all these years.

Desertdi1340370795.8815694 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

They called her that, because POLKA DOTS were kinda her "trademark" in those days.

decbabe1340376841.671539 PostsRegistered 1/21/2008
On 6/21/2012 annabellethecat said: Yes, a week or 2ago she mentioned her mother-in-law, Audrey. I think it is so rare these days to see or hear anyone who likes their job. She does, I find that refreshing. I cannot imagine having to be "up" like she does. She seldom has someone substituting for her. She's there, rain or shine. The older I get the more I notice that we women are often our harshest critics. Why? How did this happen? Think about it. When did you hear your husband or any male friend sit and criticize another male; be it someone in his life or on TV? He might make one comment, but then let it go. Getting back to Susan, or any other female. Constructive criticism is good. Even comments that bite sometimes. I don't believe in word police. However, we all need to say something nice every now and then. I'm trying, but I have a ways to go, unfortunately.

I agree with your statement! I just bought a few of her dresses and I was very pleasantly surprised at how comfortable and how nice they looked on me..I did wear a nice stretch belt just to pull in the waist, which also shortened up the dress a bit. Do I live everything she has, "no", but I don't like everything from any designer.
I think she is very passionate about her clothing and she really enjoys what she does.
I do not like when people on these boards criticize and nit pick the hosts for every little thing they do, wear or say.
Sometimes, I do watch for the entertainment end of it..usually when I'm cleaning or ironing...but to criticize every little thing about a host or vendor...I can't stress over that...I'm not perfect, nor do I know anyone who is perfect, so I certainly can't criticize others..amen to that.

Page 1 of 2