TSV(R) Preview
126 Members and 13530 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Thong Sandals - Hurt between the toes - Anyone else have this problem?

Started 1338026869.777 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1338472671.767 by PinkyPetunia

It seems like every time I try to buy a pair of cute sandals with a thong any more they really hurt my feet. I don't just mean rub as in causing a blister, but cause severe pain --- like an ache in the whole foot. It's like the thong part is not constructed right or is too hard or something. Anyone else have this problem?

I've seen in a catalog where you can buy these little things that hook around the thong that is supposed to alleviate this problem --- anyone try these?

I hate to waste all my cute sandals that go between the toes, but the majority of them I just can't wear. I purchased a new pair the other day and I thought I could wear them but sure enough, after a little while, the right one started give me terrible pain.

Thanks!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin.

Page 1 of 2
itsmagic1338030635.751108 PostsRegistered 8/8/2011

I have the same problem. The only thongs that I own that don't hurt my feet are a pair of Teva's (rubber sole, cloth straps/thong). Other than that, the cute thongs made of leather hurt my feet/toes. There are a couple of Clark's thongs that are so cute but they just didn't work.

AngelPuppy11338031179.2478379 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

I was hoping it wasn't just me! I have a few older pairs that don't bother me, but I can't seem to buy any new ones. I just hate it because so many sandals that are out are so cute and stylish & have thongs. I am tempted to order some of those little things that adhere to the thong and see if they work. Thanks, itsmagic!

itsmagic1338031385.0371108 PostsRegistered 8/8/2011

I've never heard of those little things that adhere to the thong to make them more comfortable. If you do get some, let us know if they work.

Classylady1338031680.3172212 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't own a single pair. I tried years ago and they hurt between the toes and I just decided I didn't need that in my life. They are some cute one's I agree but there are plenty of cute sandals without the thong also.

It's probably pressing on a nerve if it causes the whole foot to hurt. Not a doctor here so I don't know for sure.

Good luck

googleme1338033860.8632830 PostsRegistered 3/20/2012

I own well over a dozen pair of thongs. Have you tried White Mountain? BOC is also very good. White Mountain =Most comfortable thongs I've ever worn.

BlueCollar­Babe1338034216.56310279 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007

I've always been fascinated by how anyone can wear them. I never could! Do those who can perhaps have a bigger space between their big toe and the next one? I've tried over the years because so many of them are very cute but the pain is just excruciating!!

AngelPuppy11338034457.138379 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

I have some older ones that I wear comfortably. But any newer ones I've purchased, I end up not being able to wear them. I don't know if it has to do with the construction - maybe some have a softer material or something??? Beats me. I am going to order a package of those silicone inserts and see if they help. If so, I will post and let you all know.

Oh, I have tried many different brands of shoes.

Thanks, all!

Reiss19801338035775.148218 PostsRegistered 4/15/2011Central NJ /Freehold// Long island NY

{#emotions_dlg.scared}O/P I have the same problem... the only thongs that I can wear are a old white mountain pair. The pair I have ... The thong separation going around instead of a straight line like most of them are made. My brother is a foot doctor and he says the cheap rubber ones are the worst and offer no support .. He has a lot of patients with heel spurs and fallen arches and other foot problems. The cheap rubber thong never looked cute to me... they look like what they are a cheap, rubber, painful thong. My brother says to wear something with arch support.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Last edited on 5/26/2012

Last edited on 5/26/2012

A wagging tail .... and licks a plenty.. Not to mention a buddy for life! Adopt a dog or cat ..SAVE A LIFE!

Perkup1338035930.285536 PostsRegistered 12/24/2008
On 5/26/2012 itsmagic said:

I've never heard of those little things that adhere to the thong to make them more comfortable. If you do get some, let us know if they work.

My daughters and I have some of these little "things". I believe we purchased them through a company called "Foot Smart", who sends us catalogs. Unfortunately I don't have one right now to give you more information. They are a large supplier of shoes, socks, and accessories for the foot. They are made of silicone and just fit around the thong - U shaped, so they don't come off. I would have to say that they do help a lot, but if you have particularly tender feet (like me) they will allow you to wear the thongs for a while, but not all day. Your feet still get a little sore. They're not expensive, though, so you ought to give them a try. My girls like them a lot.

millieshops1338036193.26314194 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

The toe pain is a tough issue for those of us who have trouble with thongs, and my podiatrist tells me the overall foot pain comes from tensing my foot and/or walking wrong to keep them from hurting so much. I just don't buy them.

It's like looking for clip earrings - not many around but there are cute sandals if you look carefully.

AngelPuppy11338036283.9378379 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

Perkup:

Yes, that is the catalog that I saw them in! I figured I would try them before I end up having to ditch all my thong sandals.

I have some of the rubber flip-flop type things, too, but I'm not worried about them, as they are cheap and I usually only wear those if I am doing outside stuff like watering the flowers or to the beach or something. The ones I am concerned with are nice, leather sandals.

TN halfback1338037050.972685 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

I have narrow feet so if a thong sandal doesn't fit right it's painful. I agree with Classylady about hitting a nerve causing the pain. Think about that strap hitting in between your toes with every step.

I can try on 50 prs. of flip flops & have not 1 fit! And forget the cheap, flat ones for $2. Here's what I have and wear all the time:

Sketchers...I have the best luck with these. Love Sketchers!

Teva Mush...need a new pair...they've lost their "mush". {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Earth sandals...not the ones from Walmart, the real ones. Have to say they were not as comfy right out of the box as I expected but after wearing on & off for about 2 weeks they are great!

Clarks...I just bought my first pair. Very cute & have a little Velcro adjustment. Very very comfy but did not come in 1/2 sizes. Had to buy an 8, really needed 8 1/2.

Hope this helps..TN

Beebo1338038066.7476958 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010

I have the same problem. I always used to wear thong sandals with no problem, but the ones I have purchased in the last several years have hurt. I too looked at those little things in the Foot Smart Catalog....might give them a try. My favorite pair of sandals are B.O.C. that I bought from QVC several years ago, but they have a loop that goes around the big toe. I've looked everywhere for a similar style but can't find anyrhing. I like Clark shoes but their thong sandals hurt...even though they say they won't.

imaclothes­hog1338038127.1920416 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

I have never had problems with wearing thong sandals, and I am always confused as to why women complain about them. I just think you can wear them or you can't, and there isn't really anything to be done about it. I think it must just be that some women have very sensitive feet or toes or both??--- I dunno... or maybe it has to do with the feeling of having somthing between the toes and it causes the tendons or muscles in your foot to be sort of more tense and that causes pain, or the woman does not have enough fat padding around the bones in the toes?

I love thongs and because I have a larger foot (9)I think they are more flattering on my feet than regular sandals. And I do find them very comfortable. I have purchased several pairs of sandals this year and most have been thongs.

I recently bought a pair of Grecian inspired Clarks thongs and I was amazed at the reviews for the sandals.....some of them raved about how comfortable they are (which, they are for me and I agree with those reviews) and then some other ones talked about how painful and uncomfortable they were and they couldn't wait to send them back.

The only thongs I can't really wear or don't like is the plastic dollar store flip flop types with the hard plastic thongs. Those annoy me. But I could wear them if I wanted to, they aren't what I would call painful just uncomfortable and hard. Other than that I can't think of one pair of thong sandals that have ever hurt me to the point where I could not stand to wear them.

Last edited on 5/26/2012

Last edited on 5/26/2012

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

shopper fr­om northeast1338039358.7972 PostsRegistered 5/26/2012

I agree with another blogger....tevas brand are very comfortable and never hurt at all anywhere. There is no break-in. You can get them online at Endless.com (powered by Amazon) and has free shipping and if for whatever reason you need to ship anything back it's also free to ship them back! Can't get any better than that, so you really have nothing to lose and they ship 2nd day!! The ones I recommend is Teva Women's Mush Mandalyn Ola Flip Flop. They are sooo cute, it's a thong with multiple straps which is very good looking on the foot and if you have larger size foot like I do (size 10) they make your foot look smaller, very cute. Highly recommend them!

wilma1338041159.512891 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

I don't own any thongs. It's a shame because there are some really cute ones out there, but I just can't stand the thing between my toes.

blueroses471338044053.7872075 PostsRegistered 9/1/2005Central NJ

I used to buy them, but of course they were never really comfortable.

Then, about 10 years ago, I had on a pair, and I realized not only were they not so comfortable, but my feet looked really awful in them.

I don't have the best feet to begin with (even my mother said they weren't pretty like her feet....I actually inherited my father's foot shape, I think). Something about the way they separated my toes looked bad, and that combined with the part going over the top of my foot just looked unflattering.

So, now I just pass them buy altogether, even when the style is really pretty,

Makes life simpler. It's funny how it takes a long time, sometimes, to know what's not for you.

laidbackin­nc1338044538.499 PostsRegistered 6/13/2009

Hello Ladies! I read this post with much interest! I had this same problem, until recently. I was trying on sandals for a vacation where I would be doing a great deal of walking and I expressed these same concerns with my sales associate. She told me that she too had this problem in the past until she learned a trick. Take a liberal amount of any lotion containing lanolin and coat the thong part of the sandal and leave it to soak in for a few hours. The lotion will soak into the leather and soften it, leaving a more comfortable sandal for you. I tried this and it works! My new sandals have never bothered me and I was comfortable and walked all over San Antonio with no problems and no blisters! Hope this helps all of you!

AngelPuppy113381228008379 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

Thank you, ladies! I guess some of us just have feet that do not take to the thong type shoes well. I will look into the recommended brands and see if they are better. And I appreciate the tip about the lotion --- it certainly can't hurt to treat it!

jetts_mom1338129905.7932491 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010

I had the same problem all my life. It was made even worse because my 2nd and 3rd toes are webbed together halfway up the toes (dominant genetic trait from one of my parents), and wearing thong type sandals made those toes cramp something terrible.

About 3 years ago I found a brand called Rafters at a local sporting goods shop, and for the first time in my life, I could wear thongs! The way they're made, between the cloth straps, arch support, and that they're held on more securely on the top of the foot rather than just having to hang on with your toes, made them work.

Since then I've been able to get a few more that work, too. As a couple other posters have mentioned, White Mountain is one of those brands, and the most comfy overall for dress ones. They have a great arch support if you can get them to fit your foot properly and also hug the top of the feet more than relying on your toes gripping the piece between the toes.

The one type I still can never wear is the cheap, plastic type.

You were born an original - don't die a copy.

Brinklii1338131775.30710277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

I dislike thongs for that reason...and also because they don't have arch support. Guess I don't like the look enough to look into more expensive ones.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

misspammie1338131931.311873 PostsRegistered 3/14/2010virginia

haven't read all thoughts, but I've seen 'toe comfort' kind of things for thong shoes. got mine at TJ's, but sure to have seen them elsewhere. HTH

"jus' sanwiches and milk"

hulagirl1338132148.9036378 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

After living in a sunny climate, thong type sandals were the norm (small children are wearing "slippers" as soon as they can walk)........pretty quickly I developed a callous (nothing gross, just toughened the skin a little) between my toes and found that they never bothered me again.

imaclothes­hog1338147680.26720416 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
On 5/27/2012 hulagirl said:

After living in a sunny climate, thong type sandals were the norm (small children are wearing "slippers" as soon as they can walk)........pretty quickly I developed a callous (nothing gross, just toughened the skin a little) between my toes and found that they never bothered me again.

That's a really good point. I think if you grow up in an area of the country or tend to live most of your life where you can wear thongs 9 or 10 months (or more) a year, you tend to just get used to them.

I think that many women that have trouble wearing them, may be only trying to wear them seasonally , perhaps in spring and summer in areas of the country where they may wear closed toe shoes most of the year due to inclement weather.

If you grow up in Hawaii, southern California, or southern Texas/parts of the southwest or south Florida, etc. you tend to wear sandals practically all the time, and it's probably just a thing your feet are accustomed to.

Last edited on 5/27/2012

Last edited on 5/27/2012

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

violann1338149912.71711379 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
I think I bought "thong things" in either Walgreens or CVS.The ones I bought were clear so they were invisible while wearing.

Page 1 of 2