Labor Day Weekend Clearance
152 Members and 11825 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Dressing for Easter Church

Started 1333822949.35 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1334076794.44 by smoochy

How do the members of your church dress for Easter Sunday? We are visiting a Catholic Church with family members tomorrow and I want to dress appropriately. This is a small, but rather stuffy little village church.

Page 1 of 2
violann1333823146.4312374 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
Practically anything goes. Hats not necessary. In our church we see practically everything from gym wear to evening gowns.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

Jackie61333824888.29989 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007
But not on Easter. I am Catholic and people do dress up on Easter. No hats are not necessary, but gym wear? Really? No.

BootLvr1333826301.49830 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I'm pretty casual for church most of the time, but for Easter I dress like I would for work. Dress pants and a blouse or something similar. I think most people tend to dress up more on holidays.

IamMrsG1333826419.2731753 PostsRegistered 8/19/2008

Oh that we were as concerned about preparing our hearts as much as our outward appearances.

curlywhite­dog1333826754.786399 PostsRegistered 6/2/2005Central NJ

I'm a Catholic and one of those people who doesn't think gym clothes are appropriate for church, Easter or any other time. I know people will say God only cares that you're there but how you dress in church is a matter of respect, at least that's how I was raised.

Anywho, you can wear just about anything to church that you'd wear to work or out to dinner. A nice skirt or a pair of trousers with a pretty blouse or sweater top would be just fine. Years ago people got really dressed up but I don't see that anymore. Church is definitely more casual but gym clothes are a bit too casual for my taste.

Maria

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up".

pepes mom1333827043.7475258 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005SW PA

A few years ago, one girl wore shorts and a thin tank top to Easter Mass. Another girl looked like a h00ker in a skin tight deep v neck dress.

I miss the getting really dressed up on Easter. I usually go in a skirt and sweater or skirt, top, and blazer. I like to be respectful.

~ Pepe's Mom ~

I'm cool toned. Yellow foundations make me look jaundiced. That is NOT the look I am going for.

StylishLady1333827722.213926 PostsRegistered 11/25/2009Florida

This Easter I am wearing my bronze colored silk skirt suit. Probably a pair of strappy sandal high heels. Might wear a straw hat, not sure. Probably no gloves or scarf, but with minimal jewelry.

HiLo1333827741.796627 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

I agree Curly: I like to dress my best to show respect to God but with modesty.as I would to have a meeting with the Pres. I don't dress any different at Easter time than I do any other time at my Evangelical church. But I also agree with lam above, preparing our hearts to meet with God is the thing He is most looking for.

I don't disrespect anyone's choice of dress as long as they are clean and modest.

To the OP: In my experience people worshipping in small churches seem to dress up a little more. Also, my Southern friends tell me they like to dress up.

violann1333833602.27712374 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
I didn't say anything about appropriate, I said that's what you'd see. We will go to Church tonight. I will be wearing a tailored slack suit, DH will probably wear a jacket. There will be people in our Church in gym clothes. There will be people who are dressed at another level. There was actually a couple at The Vigil Mass last year who sat in the third or fourth row from the back and necked through the whole Mass. Who should have told them to stop?

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

namealread­ytaken1333834366.47690 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

I am respectful of what I wear to church and I know that the price tag of my dress or suit has nothing to do with the reason I am there, but I just wanted to know (because I am Baptist) if I am expected to wear a headcovering. Are black dress slacks, a pink blouse and pink jacket with pearls and black pumps appropriate or should I shy away from the black pants for a lighter color? I also have a navy dress I could wear with a pretty white jacket, navy pumps and pearls but I also have a pink dress (might be stretched at the seams, the reason I did not jump on that at first) and I could possibly wear a jacket over it. I had several options last year but prednisone has caused my clothes to shrink.

Silver Lin­ing1333836274.8473616 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010
On 4/7/2012 namealreadytaken said:

I am respectful of what I wear to church and I know that the price tag of my dress or suit has nothing to do with the reason I am there, but I just wanted to know (because I am Baptist) if I am expected to wear a headcovering. Are black dress slacks, a pink blouse and pink jacket with pearls and black pumps appropriate or should I shy away from the black pants for a lighter color? I also have a navy dress I could wear with a pretty white jacket, navy pumps and pearls but I also have a pink dress (might be stretched at the seams, the reason I did not jump on that at first) and I could possibly wear a jacket over it. I had several options last year but prednisone has caused my clothes to shrink.

Any of those would be nice. I think the outfit with the black slacks sounds very nice and the pink will be especially pretty for Easter. Gosh, headcoverings haven't been worn for probably the last thirty years or more at Catholic services, not even funerals, but it is nice that you are respectful and wanted to do so if needed.

curlywhite­dog1333836762.1036399 PostsRegistered 6/2/2005Central NJ

Hi name:

Headcoverings are not expected but a pretty hat, if you have one and choose to wear it, would be just fine. Any of the outfits you describe sound lovely and would be absolutely appropriate. Hope you enjoy the mass.

Maria

Last edited on 4/7/2012

Last edited on 4/7/2012

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up".

Marienkaef­er1333837328.9875715 PostsRegistered 12/15/2008Beautiful San Juan Islands

I'm Catholic and I like to wear a pretty hat and dress. Not many do, but I don't care. Easter bonnets are special to me! Smile

But it really depends on the where the church is. I lived in places where the dress was more formal, and in other places where the dress was always informal.

Just dress how you feel comfortable.

The moral arc of the universe is long, but it bends toward justice.--MLK

chi59251333838044.11914 PostsRegistered 1/3/2006

So I may be really dating myself, but.....

I remember Easter Sunday at church where ALL males came dressed in suits.

My parents always got us Easter "outfits" that included: dress, socks (the kind that folded over), shoes, hats AND gloves! Yes, gloves.... (short white cotton gloves)

Everyone looked SO "spring-like" and all the women looked SO divine with their hats.

Now, people will probably come to Easter Sunday services with rubber flip-flops and pajama bottoms.

No one cares what they look like out in public anymore.

Very sad.

PpprMintPa­tty1333838385.7918675 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007Outside our Nation's Capitol

We dress up every Sunday, a little more so on Easter or at least go with more traditional Easter colors. I'm wearing a long, floral maxi dress, a little dressier than most of them.

The Catholic churches I've visited have been very casual. I'm sure Easter Sunday is a little more dressed up.

Your outfit sounds wonderful, I wouldn't worry about it.

~Formerly known as Danny~

champagnep­oodle1333838392.435260 PostsRegistered 9/26/2011

At my church on Easter and Christmas we dress up. Some ladies do wear slacks though. I always wear a dress.

curlywhite­dog1333838592.186399 PostsRegistered 6/2/2005Central NJ
On 4/7/2012 chi5925 said:

My parents always got us Easter "outfits" that included: dress, socks (the kind that folded over), shoes, hats AND gloves! Yes, gloves.... (short white cotton gloves)

Everyone looked SO "spring-like" and all the women looked SO divine with their hats.

Now, people will probably come to Easter Sunday services with rubber flip-flops and pajama bottoms.

Very sad.

I too remember my mother buying my sister and I new outfits for Easter and how disappointing it was if you woke up to a cold rainy day and couldn't show off your finery.

I also remember when ladies wore corsages for Easter, in fact, I have a pix of myself and my now husband (then boyfriend) outside of church on Easter Sunday 1969, he in a blue suit, white shirt and tie and me in a white bouche coat (with corsage) and wearing tangerine gloves, shoes and bag.

Those were the days...

Maria

Last edited on 4/7/2012

Last edited on 4/7/2012

MarieIG1333838704.3873479 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

All those outfits are appropriate. You are not expected to wear a headcovering, although you may if you wish.

MarieIG

Wife; mother of six (one military); three cats, and one dog. I enjoy reading about beauty, jewelry, fashion, and wellness.

Fifi11333838767.794723 PostsRegistered 1/21/2005
Most are very casual now. I'm wearing a pretty black eyelet skirt, pumps and a cardi set, and probably a rain coat.

shoptillId­rop1333839442.829399 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan

How do the members of your church dress for Easter Sunday? We are visiting a Catholic Church with family members tomorrow and I want to dress appropriately. This is a small, but rather stuffy little village church.

Our church tends to run a little more dressed up (casual dress, pants, skirts, dresses, etc.) than dressed down (no jeans, ect), so I wear a dress or suit every week. I would say if you're not sure what to wear, wear a dress, skirt or a nice pair of pants. Never can wrong that way. Enjoy spending time with your family tomorrow. Happy Easter :)

Last edited on 4/7/2012

Last edited on 4/7/2012

I tried being patient but it took too long.

chi59251333840421.7971914 PostsRegistered 1/3/2006
On 4/7/2012 curlywhitedog said:
On 4/7/2012 chi5925 said:

Very sad.

I too remember my mother buying my sister and I new outfits for Easter and how disappointing it was if you woke up to a cold rainy day and couldn't show off your finery.

I also remember when ladies wore corsages for Easter, in fact, I have a pix of myself and my now husband (then boyfriend) outside of church on Easter Sunday 1969, he in a blue suit, white shirt and tie and me in a white bouche coat (with corsage) and wearing tangerine gloves, shoes and bag.

Those were the days...

Maria

Last edited on 4/7/2012

How fabulous: the corsage!

Those were the days.....

Barbara in­ Virginia1333840838.867736 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

MY church is a rather traditional Episcopal church, and we dress for church, Easter ot not. We are about to leave for the Great Vigil service on Easter Eve, and I am wearing the Linea jacket with pearl buttons in ivory with matching skirt. Orchid silk charmauese Linea blouse. Long black/white/gold pearl necklace and three row pearl bracelet. Similar dress for tomorrow's service.

I must say that I cringe when people come to church looking like they came directly from working in their garden. We rarely see that in my church, although the random teen or young adult child coming home for Easter looks unkempt for my taste :-).

ETA: Ferragamo black patent heeled sandals and HOSE! Black patent Chanel-type handbag with gold chain.

Last edited on 4/7/2012

Last edited on 4/7/2012

Sooner1333841988.21314654 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Dress the way you would dress to meet someone you admire or respect greatly.

namealread­ytaken1333842071.847690 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

Thank you very much. All very good responses. See, I have not been in a Catholic church in years save for the funerals I have attended where everyone wore a headcovering.

We live in a bedroom community and you know southern Baptist women do tend to dress for church but we also have a large contingent of college professors, instructors, students and a big military population so we are more diverse than most bedroom communities in the south.

It sounds like I could wear what I wear to my own church and feel right at home.

I loved taking the stroll down memory lane with the hats and all the dress-up that we all did with our mothers and our communities. My mother insisted we wear hats and gloves for city shopping. It was just the way it was back then.

namealread­ytaken1333842072.517690 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

It's no fun reading duplicates.

Last edited on 4/7/2012

Last edited on 4/7/2012

Page 1 of 2