Just-Reduced Clearance
24 Members and 8551 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Liquid Knit....good or bad?

Started 1333500989.927 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1333579919.713 by steffieg

I have never bought anything from Susan Graver. However I have noticed recently that a big number of her tops are made of Liquid Knit material. What is this material like? Is it that great that she uses it in so many of her items? Is it slinkly or does it cling to your body? Finally does it shrink or wrinkle? I see some really cute tops made in this fabric but they have IMO, a high price and before I spend the money I sure would like to know if they are worth the price.

I sure would love to hear about this fabric....can anyone tell me about it?

BTW, do her tops run true to size? Again thanks!!

Page 1 of 1
Makeup Hoa­rder1333501052.381459 PostsRegistered 1/20/2012

Another fancy name for polyester. :) Several lines on Q like using this kind of names, liquid knit, butter knit, silky knit...or whatever knit.

Last edited on 4/3/2012

Last edited on 4/3/2012

Fashion is negotiable; Style is not

nanw1333502205.2257 PostsRegistered 5/31/2005Louisiana

Liquid knit is a very soft, does not wrinkle, can be machine washed and dried, for the most part, and another name for polyester. I personally have had and liked her peach skin camp shirts, butter knit V neck tops and have some of her liquid knits also. BUT, be sure and check the size chart in the description of the garment. Over the last few months, I have noticed that where I have always worn a medium, some of the garments are from one to two inches smaller. I've had to return several of her tops in the last few months, which can get expensive, so I have chosen to not order her garments, unless I've ordered that garment before and know for sure that it fits as her old sizes did. Also, I've noticed an increase in price, so I've chosen to wear what I have from her line and not order anymore at this time.

Last edited on 4/3/2012

Last edited on 4/3/2012

lizzief1333502855.12531 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011
I personally love the Liquid Knit and have several tops and find myself always considering the latest one. Just read a label: 98% polyester 2% spandex, machine wash, tumble low or hand wash and hang to dry if there are embellishments. The fabric is very comfortable, does not cling and doesn't wrinkle, which makes it the ideal fabric for working women 'cause it 's easy to care for.. It's not a "knit" like a Citiknit, not "slinky." I usually have to size down in the tops; true to size in dresses and I don't own any pants. SG has a bad rep for some reason (ok yes she needs to tone it down a few notches with her presentations) I don't like everything she does either, but this fabric works for me, though I agree the prices are getting high. I disagree, alll polyesters are NOT the same. Hope this helps! Last edited on 4/3/2012

Last edited on 4/3/2012

Marcee461333502925.33686 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007

Thanks ladies! I'm really not thrilled with polyester. How would you compare it to spandex?

Thanks, again!

PuppyBreath1333503132.19718676 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Mn. Twins Fan

I hate the feel of it against my skin. My DD loves it for packing/travel/work.

Please support Pancreatic Cancer Research.

My favorite breed is Rescued.

lovesrecess1333503143.1813655 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

I have one liquid knit top from SG

True, no wrinkles, easy to wash...but it is also so hot that I rarely wear it; it doesn't breath at all since it is polyester so when SG raves about how "it feels like nothing is on your skin" she is SO WRONG!

lovesrecess1333503166.4613655 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

I have one liquid knit top from SG

True, no wrinkles, easy to wash...but it is also so hot that I rarely wear it; it doesn't breath at all since it is polyester so when SG raves about how "it feels like nothing is on your skin" she is SO WRONG!

The Cleanu­p Woman1333503910.833286 PostsRegistered 11/27/2007New Jersey

I think too many Susan Graver tops are Liquid Knit. I return many of them because of the cut of the tops more than any other reasons. Liquid knit can be very clingy and stick to your back fat if the top is snug and if you are full busted as I am, the fabric often pulls across the back. I wish she would diversify and use other fabrics. Liquid knit can look very cheap in person but on TV, it may look great so beware.

Last edited on 4/3/2012

Last edited on 4/3/2012

lizzief1333503957.652531 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011
Let me add, since I live in Florida, I don't have any problem with the fabric not breathing. I guess that's because I am so used to being in a/c. I probably wouldn't want to wear it outside all day, but inside for work or an inside occasion there is no problem. Regarding your question about spandex, the small amount of spandex helps the fabric hold its shape. You'll find that small amount in some cotton fashions for that reason. Other than that, there is no co comparison to the tight spandex garments you may be thinking of.

millieshops1333504498.7514720 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Love liquid knit. It looks good on, does not cling, washes easily and well, wears well, keeps its color, etc.

There's polyester in all the best stores, all the good fashion lines every where. I know it's popular among Susan haters to put her down, but there's a really good reason millions and millions of bright women buy her - she makes great choices of fabric and design that suits the lives of millions of us.

It's totally laughable to think that the millions and millions of repeat buyers are all stupid. Anerican women are not that gullible.

Marcee461333504724.09686 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007

From the type of replies I am getting it doesn't sound that great for the money! I wonder why she uses it so much. On the other hand I have never bought any of her items since even at 65 they seem, IMO, very dowdy. Please correct me if I am wrong!

I am finding these replies very interesting since it appears she sells a lot....{#emotions_dlg.blush}

I would love to hear more after all she is a QVC Diva, been around for a long time but IMO has never caught up to today's trends....plus she is exclusive to QVC.

Again, thanks.....

Last edited on 4/3/2012

Last edited on 4/3/2012

HiLo1333505373.0176665 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

Being a 1X, I find tailored blouses must more flattering on me than these knits. When I do buy one (which is seldom anymore) I find that a print hides lumps and bumps that may otherwise not look good. I think they look very nice on smaller women who wear them loose, like the models usually do but on a couple of the larger models they always seem to fit too close to the body. (just my experience).

HiLo1333505430.786665 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007
On 4/3/2012 The Cleanup Woman said:

I think too many Susan Graver tops are Liquid Knit. I return many of them because of the cut of the tops more than any other reasons. Liquid knit can be very clingy and stick to your back fat if the top is snug and if you are full busted as I am, the fabric often pulls across the back. I wish she would diversify and use other fabrics. Liquid knit can look very cheap in person but on TV, it may look great so beware.

Last edited on 4/3/2012

I agree Clean!

lizzief1333505954.382531 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011
"Dowdy" is a personal opinion. Let's not open that can of worms as there are many specific items on the Q by just about every designer that at one time could be called that! I am a "young" 61, and as I said before, I don't like everything she has but I do find that many of the tops are perfect for work - easy care and easy to throw on with a pair of slacks - done. It's work - I don't need to be a fashionista, not in competition with anyone, but do need to look put together. Again, works for me, as do several other lines at the Q and elsewhere.

lizzief1333506895.0532531 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011
On 4/3/2012 Mindeleah46 said:

From the type of replies I am getting it doesn't sound that great for the money! I wonder why she uses it so much. On the other hand I have never bought any of her items since even at 65 they seem, IMO, very dowdy. Please correct me if I am wrong!

I am finding these replies very interesting since it appears she sells a lot....{#emotions_dlg.blush}

I would love to hear more after all she is a QVC Diva, been around for a long time but IMO has never caught up to today's trends....plus she is exclusive to QVC.

Again, thanks.....

Last edited on 4/3/2012
I have to say, after responding a couple of times to your questions, OP you seem to know a lot about SG to be asking about Liquid Knit in the first place, and now asking for even MORE info in addition to the many replies that you have here. What else can we say? Susan, is this an April fool? Is that you? Just kidding, OP, but I think we've summed it up for you! You'll have to try it for yourself, 'cause we don't have "feelavision" for you! Have a good night!

Marcee461333577095.07686 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007

First of all I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers regarding SG and Luquid knit. As far as knowing so much, I only know what I read in the descriptions, reviews, questions, etc. I am 65 and am looking for some nice summer clothes. I have been quite ill lately and because of my health problem I have gained a good amount of weight. If you were to look in my closet, all you would see denim&co and sport savvy. Since I am home-bound which hopefully end shortly, I pray, all I can do is buy from QVC right now. I have never bought anything from Susan Graver and the reason I wanted to know about Liquid Knit is because it appears a lot of her items are made of it. I am not a fashionista as a OP mentioned...far from it. However, I do like to look nice even being homebound. As far as dowdy I have found these type of items across the board on QVC. All I am looking for is some cute items that can get me through my illness without spending a lot of money and can be bought online.

I am sorry if some of you feel I have crossed the line. However you must admit it does appear at least that the Susan Graver line is very popular. I was quite surprised by some of the posts.

I appreciate the posts and I would like to say thank you for your help. Consider the door closed! BTW, you should never judge a person because of a few questions and remarks...you never know what is going on behind closed doors! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

itsmagic1333578449.451235 PostsRegistered 8/8/2011

I have a couple of SG's tops. In the past I have found them to run large but that might have changed with the newer items (check the size chart before you order). My SG tops have not wrinkled nor do they shrink in the wash. I wash on cold and throw them in the dryer on low with a fabric softener sheet (otherwise they sometimes get static cling). The color stays true and they are great for travel. I feel like they will last a long time. You might want to try one that appeals to you.

steffieg1333579919.7131244 PostsRegistered 5/25/2007

The liquid knits, slinky knits, butter knits, etc. feel nothing like that stiff, thick feeling polyester fabrics from the 70's. I have a few outfits in these fabrics and I like them because they don't require any ironing in most cases, maybe some steaming to knock out some wrinkles every once in awhile, and really easy to pack in suitcases for travel. I grab them alot when I'm in hurry and don't have time to iron anything in the a.m. for work.

Try them and if you don't like it, you can always send it back. Just a suggestion. Personally, I don't like returning things because you loose the shipping and handling charges.

steffieg{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Page 1 of 1