TSV(R) Preview
108 Members and 11628 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

long dresses @ Walmart

Started 1330606498.127 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1330632732.23 by morganjen

I'm really getting into the long dresses for this spring & summer. I've been checking out on line what's out there at Target, Kohl's and Walmart. Ordered a few from Target & Kohl's but find they are way too long for me @ 5'4". Many I just didn't like, didn't fit well etc. so I've returned many of them.

I also then checked out online what Walmart has to offer. Last weekend my hubby & I went to our local Walmart in the hopes that I'd be able to try on some of their long dresses. Well I was so bummed that they don't even have any of their spring styles in the store yet.

So I got back online and ordered a few. I received them yesterday and fell in love with all of my purchases! They fit very well and look so cute on! And the length is perfect for me!

Last night I got bacfk online and ordered a few more along with a long skirt. I also ordered three shrugs that fit great, look really nice on - I'm really getting excited now for spring/summer to get here!

Check out the dresses @ Walmart online, I think you'll be surprised! AND they're only $16-$18.00!!!!!!!! Shrugs are only $10.00 - what great buys!

Page 1 of 2
robomo1330606912.989407 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

I HATE Walmart, but have a gift card I need to use and LOVE long dresses and always have, so will definitely check these out!

Thanks!

momcat1330607292.3276284 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010

Walmart is definitely a good source for petites since all their clothes shrink. But the fading is not as nice. I keep telling my mother to stop buying clothes there, but I think she likes to complain to me about all the issues she has with shrinking, fading and stretching out. Lucky me. OP- I think buying inexpensive maxi dresses might be a good option so you can have several since it's a trendy item.

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

momcat1330607617.7536284 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010
On 3/1/2012 robomo said:

I HATE Walmart, but have a gift card I need to use and LOVE long dresses and always have, so will definitely check these out!

Thanks!


OMG. How can you HATE Walmart??? Clothing is the only thing I don't buy there. I couldn't run my household without Walmart. In my area, they are beyond fabulous!! Well actually, in my area it's more personal between customers and employees. Most of us know the employees, who think Walmart is fabulous as well.

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

coffeeaddi­ct771330608398.0971360 PostsRegistered 8/30/2006my happy place
On 3/1/2012 momcat said:
On 3/1/2012 robomo said:

I HATE Walmart, but have a gift card I need to use and LOVE long dresses and always have, so will definitely check these out!

Thanks!


OMG. How can you HATE Walmart??? Clothing is the only thing I don't buy there. I couldn't run my household without Walmart. In my area, they are beyond fabulous!! Well actually, in my area it's more personal between customers and employees. Most of us know the employees, who think Walmart is fabulous as well.


Hate Walmart too! I can see both sides - obviously those who love it may have never been to one in a metro suburban area. The ones I used to have outside of Chicago were disgusting. I actually had been in the ladies room multiple occasions to find fecal matter on the floor. The employees were always subpar causing the check outs to be slammed. The target was night and day.

Now I have been to smaller communities in Wisconsin where the walmarts are "the" store and they have been nice and clean and the employees good people. Now that I live in Madison I still wont go, its like a different world there.


namealread­ytaken1330608600.0537733 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
On 3/1/2012 coffeeaddict77 said:
On 3/1/2012 momcat said:
On 3/1/2012 robomo said:

I HATE Walmart, but have a gift card I need to use and LOVE long dresses and always have, so will definitely check these out!

Thanks!


OMG. How can you HATE Walmart??? Clothing is the only thing I don't buy there. I couldn't run my household without Walmart. In my area, they are beyond fabulous!! Well actually, in my area it's more personal between customers and employees. Most of us know the employees, who think Walmart is fabulous as well.


Hate Walmart too! I can see both sides - obviously those who love it may have never been to one in a metro suburban area. The ones I used to have outside of Chicago were disgusting. I actually had been in the ladies room multiple occasions to find fecal matter on the floor. The employees were always subpar causing the check outs to be slammed. The target was night and day.

Now I have been to smaller communities in Wisconsin where the walmarts are "the" store and they have been nice and clean and the employees good people. Now that I live in Madison I still wont go, its like a different world there.

Same way in my area. The ones in the capital city about an hour away are filthy and no self-respecting person would go there. However, in our bedroom community, the store is very clean, employees very helpful and nice greeters, bathrooms clean and middle class people come from 50-60 miles to shop in ours but flee the one in their city.

Peaches Mc­Phee1330608887.1771608 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I like Walmart, too, for clothes as well. Got some great rib knit sweaters several months ago. Only $12! On sale now for $8 if anyone wants to check.

Will they last five years? Probably not. But it's a sweater, not a car.

Pro-aging.

kitkom1330608948.945646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

.

Last edited on 3/1/2012

Last edited on 3/1/2012

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

kitkom1330609083.1875646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 3/1/2012 lets be nice said:

I'm really getting into the long dresses for this spring & summer. I've been checking out on line what's out there at Target, Kohl's and Walmart. Ordered a few from Target & Kohl's but find they are way too long for me @ 5'4". Many I just didn't like, didn't fit well etc. so I've returned many of them.

I also then checked out online what Walmart has to offer. Last weekend my hubby & I went to our local Walmart in the hopes that I'd be able to try on some of their long dresses. Well I was so bummed that they don't even have any of their spring styles in the store yet.

So I got back online and ordered a few. I received them yesterday and fell in love with all of my purchases! They fit very well and look so cute on! And the length is perfect for me!

Last night I got bacfk online and ordered a few more along with a long skirt. I also ordered three shrugs that fit great, look really nice on - I'm really getting excited now for spring/summer to get here!

Check out the dresses @ Walmart online, I think you'll be surprised! AND they're only $16-$18.00!!!!!!!! Shrugs are only $10.00 - what great buys!

I quite don't understand your statement that some that you bought are way too long on you. You can't turn up the hem and shorten it? Am I the only one that does this? Gone are the days when girls took home ec in school and learned the dying talent of sewing. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

Hildegarde­ Withers1330609177.53311690 PostsRegistered 11/9/2011

You can find some nice clothes at Walmart.

They have good prices on jeans, too.

wonderwoma­n1001330609577.112731 PostsRegistered 1/21/2008

Thanks for the info, I also love love maxi dresses and dresses in general in the warmer months. They are so much more comfortable than capris. I did scan the Walmart site for dresses, some are cute but they are all poly which I don't care for. Much prefer cotton or rayon. Happy wearing to you!

wonderwoma­n1001330609788.0572731 PostsRegistered 1/21/2008
On 3/1/2012 kitkom said:
On 3/1/2012 lets be nice said:

I'm really getting into the long dresses for this spring & summer. I've been checking out on line what's out there at Target, Kohl's and Walmart. Ordered a few from Target & Kohl's but find they are way too long for me @ 5'4". Many I just didn't like, didn't fit well etc. so I've returned many of them.

I also then checked out online what Walmart has to offer. Last weekend my hubby & I went to our local Walmart in the hopes that I'd be able to try on some of their long dresses. Well I was so bummed that they don't even have any of their spring styles in the store yet.

So I got back online and ordered a few. I received them yesterday and fell in love with all of my purchases! They fit very well and look so cute on! And the length is perfect for me!

Last night I got bacfk online and ordered a few more along with a long skirt. I also ordered three shrugs that fit great, look really nice on - I'm really getting excited now for spring/summer to get here!

Check out the dresses @ Walmart online, I think you'll be surprised! AND they're only $16-$18.00!!!!!!!! Shrugs are only $10.00 - what great buys!

I quite don't understand your statement that some that you bought are way too long on you. You can't turn up the hem and shorten it? Am I the only one that does this? Gone are the days when girls took home ec in school and learned the dying talent of sewing. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I know what you are saying kitmom, I think it's really strange when QVC reviewers will say they are returning a dress because it is too long even though they really love the dress. They pay the return postage and hassle when even it they couldn't hem the dress themselves, they could pay the cleaners $10 to hem it for them. I don't understand that logic!

namealread­ytaken1330610988.5877733 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
On 3/1/2012 wonderwoman100 said:
On 3/1/2012 kitkom said:
On 3/1/2012 lets be nice said:

I'm really getting into the long dresses for this spring & summer. I've been checking out on line what's out there at Target, Kohl's and Walmart. Ordered a few from Target & Kohl's but find they are way too long for me @ 5'4". Many I just didn't like, didn't fit well etc. so I've returned many of them.

I also then checked out online what Walmart has to offer. Last weekend my hubby & I went to our local Walmart in the hopes that I'd be able to try on some of their long dresses. Well I was so bummed that they don't even have any of their spring styles in the store yet.

So I got back online and ordered a few. I received them yesterday and fell in love with all of my purchases! They fit very well and look so cute on! And the length is perfect for me!

Last night I got bacfk online and ordered a few more along with a long skirt. I also ordered three shrugs that fit great, look really nice on - I'm really getting excited now for spring/summer to get here!

Check out the dresses @ Walmart online, I think you'll be surprised! AND they're only $16-$18.00!!!!!!!! Shrugs are only $10.00 - what great buys!

I quite don't understand your statement that some that you bought are way too long on you. You can't turn up the hem and shorten it? Am I the only one that does this? Gone are the days when girls took home ec in school and learned the dying talent of sewing. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I know what you are saying kitmom, I think it's really strange when QVC reviewers will say they are returning a dress because it is too long even though they really love the dress. They pay the return postage and hassle when even it they couldn't hem the dress themselves, they could pay the cleaners $10 to hem it for them. I don't understand that logic!

It costs $7 in my area to hem a dress with a very large circumference which has to be cut off in order to get the length correct. I bought one that was 56 inches. Geeze, that's a long dress for someone 5-5 and it had to have 5 inches cut off and then hemmed (big circular/flare tail), $7.00.

namealread­ytaken1330610989.6377733 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
On 3/1/2012 wonderwoman100 said:
On 3/1/2012 kitkom said:
On 3/1/2012 lets be nice said:

I'm really getting into the long dresses for this spring & summer. I've been checking out on line what's out there at Target, Kohl's and Walmart. Ordered a few from Target & Kohl's but find they are way too long for me @ 5'4". Many I just didn't like, didn't fit well etc. so I've returned many of them.

I also then checked out online what Walmart has to offer. Last weekend my hubby & I went to our local Walmart in the hopes that I'd be able to try on some of their long dresses. Well I was so bummed that they don't even have any of their spring styles in the store yet.

So I got back online and ordered a few. I received them yesterday and fell in love with all of my purchases! They fit very well and look so cute on! And the length is perfect for me!

Last night I got bacfk online and ordered a few more along with a long skirt. I also ordered three shrugs that fit great, look really nice on - I'm really getting excited now for spring/summer to get here!

Check out the dresses @ Walmart online, I think you'll be surprised! AND they're only $16-$18.00!!!!!!!! Shrugs are only $10.00 - what great buys!

I quite don't understand your statement that some that you bought are way too long on you. You can't turn up the hem and shorten it? Am I the only one that does this? Gone are the days when girls took home ec in school and learned the dying talent of sewing. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I know what you are saying kitmom, I think it's really strange when QVC reviewers will say they are returning a dress because it is too long even though they really love the dress. They pay the return postage and hassle when even it they couldn't hem the dress themselves, they could pay the cleaners $10 to hem it for them. I don't understand that logic!

It costs $7 in my area to hem a dress with a very large circumference which has to be cut off in order to get the length correct. I bought one that was 56 inches. Geeze, that's a long dress for someone 5-5 and it had to have 5 inches cut off and then hemmed (big circular/flare tail), $7.00.

Pie19931330612718.881780 PostsRegistered 6/25/2007
On 3/1/2012 momcat said:

Walmart is definitely a good source for petites since all their clothes shrink. But the fading is not as nice. I keep telling my mother to stop buying clothes there, but I think she likes to complain to me about all the issues she has with shrinking, fading and stretching out. Lucky me. OP- I think buying inexpensive maxi dresses might be a good option so you can have several since it's a trendy item.

I thought it was my washing that was causing the fading, shrinking and stretching issues. I still purchase many (and I mean 30 plus a year) tee shirts a day to wear under sweaters, hoodies, pj tops ....

yarnaholic­19631330613059.307933 PostsRegistered 11/30/2011Texas
On 3/1/2012 lets be nice said:

I'm really getting into the long dresses for this spring & summer. I've been checking out on line what's out there at Target, Kohl's and Walmart. Ordered a few from Target & Kohl's but find they are way too long for me @ 5'4". Many I just didn't like, didn't fit well etc. so I've returned many of them.

I also then checked out online what Walmart has to offer. Last weekend my hubby & I went to our local Walmart in the hopes that I'd be able to try on some of their long dresses. Well I was so bummed that they don't even have any of their spring styles in the store yet.

So I got back online and ordered a few. I received them yesterday and fell in love with all of my purchases! They fit very well and look so cute on! And the length is perfect for me!

Last night I got bacfk online and ordered a few more along with a long skirt. I also ordered three shrugs that fit great, look really nice on - I'm really getting excited now for spring/summer to get here!

Check out the dresses @ Walmart online, I think you'll be surprised! AND they're only $16-$18.00!!!!!!!! Shrugs are only $10.00 - what great buys!

This is great to know! Thanks for sharing! Can you tell us which dresses you bought and liked and why? Thanks!

Life's short. Knit fast.

banjo1330614249.5535139 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006Nebraska

Maxi dresses were very popular in the early 70's. Every fashion gets recycled every few decades.

You can tell who the strong women are, they are the ones building each other up, instead of tearing each other down!

ok4ablonde21330614943.58837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

Just checked out some of the online fashions.

Miss Tina is being sold at WM, I think that line used to be sold on HSN.

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

yarnaholic­19631330615360.38933 PostsRegistered 11/30/2011Texas
On 3/1/2012 ok4ablonde2 said:

Just checked out some of the online fashions.

Miss Tina is being sold at WM, I think that line used to be sold on HSN.


I have several pairs of the Miss Tina jeans and REALLY like them!

Life's short. Knit fast.

abigail74561330615514.7671840 PostsRegistered 11/15/2006Back home again in Indiana~

OPINION NEEDED: I am 6'1...what do you think of tall girls in long dresses? Do we look TALLER or nice?

42! Dark Brown super thick hair, combo skin and I am addicted to lipsticks!

DebbieDD1330615998.6278109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004
On 3/1/2012 Pie1993 said:
On 3/1/2012 momcat said:

Walmart is definitely a good source for petites since all their clothes shrink. But the fading is not as nice. I keep telling my mother to stop buying clothes there, but I think she likes to complain to me about all the issues she has with shrinking, fading and stretching out. Lucky me. OP- I think buying inexpensive maxi dresses might be a good option so you can have several since it's a trendy item.

I thought it was my washing that was causing the fading, shrinking and stretching issues. I still purchase many (and I mean 30 plus a year) tee shirts a day to wear under sweaters, hoodies, pj tops ....

Yes pie, that is absolutely true. I too have gotten many great bargains at Walmart. Of course you have to pick and choose as you do with anywhere you shop. Love the PJ's, t's etc. Can't beat the quality for the prices. If I can get a couple of seasons out of a t, I'm fine with that. The white ones need to be replaced often anyway, so why pay $40 when I can get them for under $10.

The maxi's have been around for the past couple of years. LOVE them and will definitely check out what Walmart has to offer, especially since I need the longer lengths.

Absolutely adore their Danskin line. Work out everyday and wash those things dozens and dozens of times and still have items that have lasted several years.

Last edited on 3/1/2012

Last edited on 3/1/2012

CouponQueen1330626307.8034292 PostsRegistered 10/21/2010

It is a hate or love store for sure. I buy food items (ours is a Super Walmart) and I buy housewares on occasion and also health and beauty items.

I cannot get into their clothing. I have checked them out and everything I have looked at the quality is just not there. It is thin cheap material..does not hold their shape etc. Plus I do not find their clothing all that cheap in price.

I like ribbed turtlenecks myself. I have checked them out and they did not hold their shape just holding them up and looking at the hem. I went to Kohls and bought some for a better price AND they have held their shape 100%.

misspammie1330627013.99712358 PostsRegistered 3/14/2010now in Virginia

could find nothing on line, grrr.....I'm so interested. last year I got a caftan and LOVE it!!! my son made so much fun of it til he saw me wearing it. LOVE that thing. thinking I'd like the long dresses,,,,mercy me, am I Mrs. Roper in a mumu?!?!?!?!?

"jus' sanwiches and milk"

LipstickDi­va1330627469.49737863 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I bought a dress from WM 2 summers ago and everytime I wear it, it never fails to draw compliments. It was on clearance for like $11.00 when I bought it. LOL

Right around the holidays I wanted some very casual tops to throw on with jeans or even athleisure pants. I went to WM and found 3/4 length sleeve knit ribbed tops tops that have 4 or 5 buttons at the neckline for $5.00. I bought 2 of them just to see how they would be. I washed them with no problem and ended up going back and getting 3 other colors. I cannot tell you how many times I have washed them and they are perfectly fine.

I also am a big fan of the Lee trouser jeans from WM. I paid $19.99 for them.

Last edited on 3/1/2012

Last edited on 3/1/2012

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

pink dogwo­od1330627543.2673102 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

To those of you who wondered why I returned some dresses that were too long, well for the price of some of those that I bought other than Walmart, it was just not worth my time/trouble to cut off anywhere from 5-10 inches and hem them myself. Yes I know how to sew by hand for mending and on my sewing machine. Sometimes I feel I just can't be bothered, more hassle than it's worth.

And apparently I really didn't like the ones I returned, not enought to keep them and hem them myself.

I've also taken long skirts to a tailor to cut to shorten them and hem again for me and they absolutely ruined them so I don't do this anymore! I'd rather hem the garment myself.

Some yrs ago I found the best Lee Rider jeans for me at Walmart too - still have them, fit great, launder perfectly. In fact I have a pr on right now - still love them as they're still in style. Never found this particular style anywhere else that sells Lee Riders for women. SO glad I found them at Walmart!

I also do grocery shopping there too - MUCH cheaper, more brands to choose from. I've no problem shopping at Walmart while I see that others do.

Ladyjenn1330627769.4972206 PostsRegistered 10/27/2010Northern CA

I buy all of my yoga pants there! So cheap @ $12. I will check out the dresses. I love maxi dresses too, but most of mine are long and I have to wear platform sandals with them. I'd like some for work, but I need ones without my boobs hanging out...I need some full coverage ones up top and I'll buy them! If you can, send the link to the ones you got! Thanks.

Momma to 2 Dachshunds and 1 Bernese Mountain Dog!
45 yrs old, Northern CA
Ladyjenn

Page 1 of 2