Fall Fashion Clearance
137 Members and 17056 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

pants for small waist big thighs?

Started 1330446192.897 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1330720962.11 by birkin baby

I am a fairly slim middle-aged mom. I have a very small waist in relation to my big thighs and full bottom. I don't mind if i have to take in the back of the waist a bit (never really had pants that I didn't!) but so many of the pants and jeans I try, the legs are too tight (and since I am self conscious about it, that bothers me) but there are handfuls of extra fabric in the waist.

I just rec'd the Liz Claiborne "hepburn" jeans which are actually "ok' in the butt and thighs (I can get them on) and not too bad in the waist (probably a inch or two too big in the back) but....the waist seems soooo high waisted and nerdy I would never be able to tuck in shirt (without my teenage daughters laughing at me!), and I look better with things tucked in. Do the "jackie" have the same fit but only the waist is lower? Or do the hips/thighs get slimmer?

Any and all suggestions for a pant (dress or casual) and or jean that might be a good one to try are welcome!!

Page 1 of 1
Gioiella1330449126.377322 PostsRegistered 6/4/2008

I am the same shape as you are, and unfortunately there really aren't any pants sold on QVC that work for me. The only ones that ever did were the Jones Elements line that was briefly sold on the Q.

My favorite pants:

Lauren by Ralph Lauren (sold at Macy's and Nordstrom). They are expensive, but every style fits me, and I get tons of compliments whenever I wear them. The line includes everything from very nice suit pants to jeans.

Michael Kors ponte knit pants (also sold at Macy's and Nordstrom; slightly less expensive than Lauren). These are super-comfortable and good looking too.

Sweetheart corduroy pants from Old Navy. Extremely inexpensive, fun colors, a short rise (maybe even a little too short sometimes), and very comfortable. I have also tried the Sweetheart jeans (Sweetheart is their line with the larger hips and thighs) but haven't had as much luck with them.

I hope you find some that work for you. I know how difficult and frustrating it can be, especially now when everyone is promoting the skinny jeans. I keep saying you can't wear skinny jeans if you don't have skinny legs.

HeartsNdia­mondz1330449216.4531010 PostsRegistered 1/5/2006

Try www.applebottom.com these pants are made for curvy women.

maddiecat1330452328.275455 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006

Ann Taylor Curvy

LOFT Julie

Talbots has a new Curvy style

Banana Republic also has a style for curvy women, but I can't remember the name. If you'll go to the website, there should be descriptions and illustrations to help you tell the differences in the various fits.

Lovely1330456443.968 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have the same problem as you. Try the Banana Republic, Martin fit. Very nice fit for our type of figure.

wilma1330468053.3713116 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

This is why I have most of my pants tailored. I sometimes have to go up one size to fit my thighs comfortably, then my tailor takes in the waist a few inches. It takes time and a bit more money, but in the end I have a perfectly fitted pant. I have had casual and dressy pants and even jeans altered this way. I do the same thing with some of my skirts.

Btw - thanks, ladies, for the suggestions of fits and styles at various stores. I am always looking for a good pant that fits - problem is - I am always looking. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Brinklii1330472565.2610277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI
On 2/28/2012 Gioiella said:

I am the same shape as you are, and unfortunately there really aren't any pants sold on QVC that work for me. The only ones that ever did were the Jones Elements line that was briefly sold on the Q.

My favorite pants:

Lauren by Ralph Lauren (sold at Macy's and Nordstrom). They are expensive, but every style fits me, and I get tons of compliments whenever I wear them. The line includes everything from very nice suit pants to jeans.

Michael Kors ponte knit pants (also sold at Macy's and Nordstrom; slightly less expensive than Lauren). These are super-comfortable and good looking too.

Sweetheart corduroy pants from Old Navy. Extremely inexpensive, fun colors, a short rise (maybe even a little too short sometimes), and very comfortable. I have also tried the Sweetheart jeans (Sweetheart is their line with the larger hips and thighs) but haven't had as much luck with them.

I hope you find some that work for you. I know how difficult and frustrating it can be, especially now when everyone is promoting the skinny jeans. I keep saying you can't wear skinny jeans if you don't have skinny legs.

LOL...I have skinny legs, and I keep saying that you can't wear skinny jeans if you don't have curvy legs! I guess the grass if always greener.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

Mainz1330473513.57723 PostsRegistered 8/30/2007
I've always had good luck at Eddie Bauer and Gap.

Jen-PT1330477322.0971794 PostsRegistered 9/14/2007West Coast

You should try these A215609 by Isaac Mizrahi. They're fantastic. I've tried Loft, Eddie Bauer, Chicos and Banana Republic and I like the IM jeans the best. They actually minimize your tush. I'm an 8 on bottom and 6 on top. These fit perfectly in my regular size.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut and still think they are sexy.

UpTooEarly1330478058.49853 PostsRegistered 1/18/2011

*Please* try Levi's Curve ID jeans. Our Macy's has them. Try the "bold" curve. You can see the difference just holding them up.

LipstickDi­va1330531271.5137354 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I am the same way. Even curvy fit styles in a lot of pants do not work as they are still too tight in the thighs. I think many manufacturers think "curvy" means small waist, ample butt and thinner thighs. The only pants that worked for me on Q were Dialogue and that brand appears to have gone by the wayside. Every other pair of pants I've tried on QVC has a waistband too high up for me. The waist is up to my boobs if the crotch is in the right place. Not a good look.

If you are looking for jeans, have been very happy with Targets jeans in fit 1 which are roomier in the thighs. I did end up having to have them taken in at the waist but that's okay. They also have a fit 4 which is a curvy fit but those actually were tight in my legs but the waist fit.

I've also had good luck with the Lee trouser jeans. I found them at Walmart for $20.00. And as luck would have it, I found a pair of great fitting Route 66 jeans from K-mart that are a curvy fit and on clearance for under $11.00. The only problem with them is they are very long so I have to wear a very high heel with them.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

dutch girl1330579554.2834 PostsRegistered 2/28/2012

Queenofposts...yep, had the same experience..bought pants that were named "curvy fit" and the thighs were still too tight. I think it was Eddie Bauer. Having that happen will make you feel really bad about yourself! And the thing is, very often people will remark on how "trim" i am...yet I cant sqeeze myself in a pair of pants. Looking forward to warm weather when I can more comfortable wear dresses as thighs are big but calves are fine!

I to have a pair of the bold curvy Levi and they were pretty good. The just seemed to maybe run a bit tighter overall in my usual size, so I have to be down a few pounds to feel good in the pair I have, but maybe I should try again and go back for a larger size.

Thanks for all the ideas, I jotted them down for a shopping trip, and I am going to check out those Isaac pants mentioned.

LipstickDi­va1330612601.91737354 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

dutch girl I had no luck with the Levi bold fit jeans. I was in a Levi store right before the holiday and a girl was helping me. She told me in the bold fit people definitely had to go up a size. Even a size up was snug and they pulled down and gapped in the back. She told me I needed to try the supreme curve but those can only be found on the Levi website. I didn't like the washes enough to bother ordering and then more than likely having to send back so I never bothered.

livehealthy1330615936.4872692 PostsRegistered 2/18/2007

LOL because the Levi Bold curves didn't work for me either. I couldn't even get them up because the waist was cut so small and the rise didn't allow me to open the jeans enough to get them over my butt! Levis does do some great jeans for us curvier girls though. I'm actually wearing Levis 526 which are supposed to be a slender cut, and they fit so great! In the past, I've also worn 545s and another curvy cut, can't remember the number. I can wear the 515s in capris, but they get baggy during the day, and the jeans get super baggy. The older style Lee Slender Secrets fit me perfectly, but the more recent ones don't fit as great. You might try them though as they're still made with a smaller waist and some stretch that helps them fit many body types. I like the supposedly slimmer cut #3 at Target, over the curvy fit #4, because they actually give me more room in my thighs. Go figure. They're probably similar to the #1s, but lower cut. Anyway, there are jeans out there for us, but you have to try a bunch on for sure!

ETA The ANA jeans at Penney's have been fitting great this past year without the extra gap in the back. I've found that lower rise jeans don't gap the way higher rise jeans do. I have such a drastic difference between my butt and waist, so that makes sense.

Last edited on 3/1/2012

Last edited on 3/1/2012

JJsMom1330634843.1619808 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007

I second the Fit 1 jeans from Target (thanks for telling me about the, QofP).

For dress pants, Express's Editor Pants have room in the thighs and so do my Ann Taylor dress pants. I forgot which fit though.

FUTURE1330654148.31311519 PostsRegistered 5/18/2008
Loft Julie. Try Target, as well. They have several fits. HTH! :)

Lynda12081330663642.536 PostsRegistered 2/11/2012

I am built the same way, however, I have had luck with the Denim and Company trouser jeans. They seem to be a little more generous in the legs because they are a trouser, and they sit a little lower on the waist so they don't gap so much. Unfortunately, they don't have belt loops so you can't wear a belt, so you might need to take them in at the waist.

chrystaltr­ee1330705312.71311890 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

Find a good tailor or dressmaker, that is the only advice that will work. Like it or not, some of us (myself most of all) have figure challenges that require tailoring. Your figure sounds like mine, I have a size 10 waist but I have size 12/14 thighs and bootie. Every pair of pants and jeans and every skirt with a set in waist band requires tailoring. I accept that. I like to look good in my clothes, I like to feel good too; so, when needed, I have things altered. My height is also a problem. I'm too tall for petite pants and I'm too short for average length pants so almost all my pants/jeans have to be hemmed. Yes, it ads $ to the price of my clothing but I don't really have much of a choice.

Last edited on 3/2/2012

Last edited on 3/2/2012

indywhisper1330710867.84181 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

I second the Talbots Curvy Fit. Just purchased 2 pair of the curvy fit twill trousers, and they fit great. For work trousers, I like Talbots seasonless wool with wide legs. The seasonless wool fabric falls straight down from the hip, and is a very flattering style. (I don't get any whiskering with these pants either.)

KayinMN1330710955.147663 PostsRegistered 7/17/2010Minnesota

Go to American Eagle and try a pair of Boyfriend Jeans.

sugarflake1330717850.3431815 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007

Sorry there are some things some just can't wear. So don't fight it and wear skirts. You asked so don't get mad.

di-mc1330718220.077224 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

Your tailor is your best friend.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

LipstickDi­va1330718359.3137354 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio
On 3/2/2012 artowl said:

Sorry there are some things some just can't wear. So don't fight it and wear skirts. You asked so don't get mad.

The reason why I wear skirts and dresses almost daily to work is because of this issue. But there are some places where a skirt or dress just isn't appropriate. Everyone needs jeans in their wardrobe.

That's why it's imperative to have a good tailor.

jonbon1330718508.7771663 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006

I, too, have had great luck with the Talbots "curvy" fit -- just purchased ankle jeans in both white and blue denim ($20 off all full-priced pants) and there is absolutely no gap in the back. Yay!

birkin baby1330720962.114555 PostsRegistered 1/20/2011
On 2/28/2012 HeartsNDiamondz said:

Try www.applebottom.com these pants are made for curvy women.

Yep, this might be the line for you...

Page 1 of 1