Weekend Preview
75 Members and 10629 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

eyeglass frames - the latest styles?

Started 1327208601.397 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1328192429.16 by LipstickDiva

It is time for me to get an eye exam and update my prescription. The other day I was at one of the higher end opticians and the sales associate was showing me some Chanel frames that have a larger lens opening then I am seeing on women about town. I did not think it was a great look on me, but I realize that is partly because I have been wearing the smaller frames that have been around since the late 1990s. Has anyone purchased a pair of the larger frames that are supposed to the new thing? Was there an adjustment period as you adapted to the new look? I would hate to spend hundreds of dollars on new glasses that I would not like.

What about rimless, would it be worthwhile to get new lenses for my rimless or are they dated now?

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
upshatesme1327209048.993686 PostsRegistered 2/8/2011long island, ny

I think you should get what YOU are comfortable with. The heavier chanels are really not sturdy glasses and don't look that great on a lot of people.You can always get Chanel frames in a sunglass style though. I like the thin metal frames still because most of them have a springy-ness to them so they don't break that easily.

Happy Shopping... "here's Lookin' at you" {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Life is too short to fret the small stuff… Let’s all live in a kinder, gentler world!

upshatesme1327209052.62686 PostsRegistered 2/8/2011long island, ny

i think you should get what YOU are comfortable with. You can always get the Big Chanel (which do not look that great on everyone) in a Sunglass style. I have stuck with my thin metal frames and another thing i like about them is the are kind of "break" proof... where the fancier ones are not. Happy Shopping! here's looking at you{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Life is too short to fret the small stuff… Let’s all live in a kinder, gentler world!

mlw421327209985.43818 PostsRegistered 1/12/2009

Just bought a new pair of frames (Marc Jacobs) and they are a bit larger than my previous ones. I searched for quite awhile, but knew when I put them on that I found the 'perfect pair'. I personally don't like rimless or metal frames, to me I think its a very old fashioned look. Sorry its just my opinion, hope no one takes offense to that comment, as I said, its just my opinion.

Glasses are part of your entire look so you need to be happy with what you choose. Its always nice to take a friend/daughter/sister along to help with comments/suggestions.

I'm sure you'll know what's right for you when you find that 'special pair'.

Katrin B1327210675.08133 PostsRegistered 7/6/2009

I got these frames last July. Not a day goes by without being stopped on how great they look and where I got them. They are my first Bi-Focals.

www.seeeyewear.com model7735 in Peach / Lavender

My last pair were straight-up reading glasses, and they were the original YSL frame ( as worn by YSL ) in black.

It sounds you want something new, go for it!

haddon91327211023.916152 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa

I just got new glasses last month through my eye doctor. They look like this:

View Actual Image Size for: Bebe BB5026 Eyeglasses, FramesI love them and they work well with my face. I agree you should get what works for you but you still want to get something currant.

HopeReigns1327211299.8533517 PostsRegistered 5/4/2007

My favorite frame that I have had filled and re-filled is a very small Armani frame. It is so small some opticians look at them and wonder how they get the trifocal in it also. I get tons of compliments every time I wear those even though I have had several new styles since I originally got the Armani back in '96. I think if you like the frame and it fits well, who cares whether it is last year's or last week's? Not me.

Hope, >^.^<

"

HopeReigns1327211650.333517 PostsRegistered 5/4/2007

Too much like horse blinders, can't wear them. The ones shown.

ETA: My reply was poofed 3 x and I had nothing different in the response.

Last edited on 1/21/2012

Last edited on 1/21/2012

Hope, >^.^<

"

haddon91327212283.1536152 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa
On 1/21/2012 HopeReigns said:

Too much like horse blinders, can't wear them. The ones shown.

ETA: My reply was poofed 3 x and I had nothing different in the response.

Last edited on 1/21/2012

Actually I don't really notice the sides when wearing them. Funny thing is I have a pair of completely rimless and the little bit of hardware that's attached to the lenses sort of drive me crazy! They are very noticeable when wearing them....they look like little annoying spots on the glass.

Desi1327213375.9714135 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007Ma

It's cyclical like clothing fashions. They went as small as possible, and now the larger styles look fresh. Very different always seems new. My glasses are so pricey I just get what looks good the year I get them, and wear them about 5 years, which is usually when I need new lenses, but that's me.

You have to figure in the weight of the lenses you wear. You are trying them on with non-prescription light demo lenses. If you have a high RX, larger frames will way a significant amount more than what you are used to (and it might dig in your nose, or slide down).

Desi

Raider Fan1327216452.144460 PostsRegistered 8/11/2009SF Bay Area

My D&G frames look fab. However I hate how small they are. I just got glasses a couple of years ago and really want larger frames. I'm happy to hear that they are back in style. Can't wait. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Common sense is not so common. **Voltaire**

PAGal1327238088.38347 PostsRegistered 7/20/2010

I have been wearing glasses for a few years now and at my last presecription went to progressive lenses. I just bought new frames which were larger and I can see so much better. The frames are very fashionable and my area of vision is so much greater.

jetts_mom1327239651.0832648 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010

redtabby, I got rimless glasses the last time, and while I love the fact that they're lightweight, I've hated them otherwise.

They are not very sturdy. You need to treat them gently. The frame pieces are drilled into the lenses themselves, and loosen all the time. Then on top of it, my nose piece broke on one side. The opthamologist's place they were purchased from would not fix/replace just the nose piece. They said I'd have to get a whole new pair ($600+ out of pocket as my insurance only covers glasses every 2 years). They did suggest I see if a jeweler might solder the pieces back together, but none of the jewelers that do that would, because it's too close to the lenses and they're afraid of the heat damaging them. Super glue doesn't hold it, so I'm wearing them broken as they are until May, when my insurance will contribute to new ones again. I won't get rimless again. Just my experience with this type. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

You were born an original - don't die a copy.

Sassenach11327244456.54531 PostsRegistered 12/3/2005

For several reasons, we ended up with quite a bit of money left in our medical savings account in December that had to be spent. I usually have one pair of glasses and one pair of Rx sunglasses at a time. So, I bought two Rx glasses and one Rx sunglasses in December at a fairly high-end place. They are my favorite.

These are what I had for years and LOVE LOVE LOVE:

BCBG Max Azria Paloma Eyeglasses/></a> <a href=

I would have gotten them again if I could have. While I completely agree that you should get what looks good on you, there are styles/sizes of glasses that come and go. And, the wrong ones or out of style ones can age you significantly.

I ended up getting two pair that are slightly bigger. They told me that is the trend. Not 70s big, just slightly bigger. This is one pair I got:

So, these are slightly bigger, not much. They look really cute on and I am happy with them. The Rx sunglasses are large ones and I love them.

haddon91327245548.7536152 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa

Sassenash, I also have a generous insurance plan and had to get a pair of glasses before the end of the year which I did. (I bought the black pair in post# 5 and love them!) Since it's a new year I can get a second pair and though I can see very well during the day with my new glasses I have a hard time at seeing well at night and plan on getting a second pair with an RX just for nighttime driving. (I made sure to get the glare free lenses too!) I love the pair that you posted at the top (rimless on the bottom) and the second pair will be simialr to those.

Jetts_Mom, As I mentioned I also have a pair of rimless and I agree that you to handle them VERY carefully! What happened to mine is that where the frame is attached to the lens it started to make the lens crack. It was a very small fine one at first which grew. This happened when they were only a few weeks old so I was able to get them replaced but have treated them like kid gloves since and it's happened again! (It took longer the second time) I only use them rarely now.

Sassenach11327245851.864531 PostsRegistered 12/3/2005

Hi Haddon,

Your glasses are adorable! Enjoy them. Interesting on the night driving - I am glad they can adjust your glasses for that.

I feel so "rich" right now to have three pair of Rx glasses and a pair of Rx sunglasses. I alter them depending on the day. The top pair I posted are BCBG. One of the new pair I got is also BCBG and they are slightly larger than those, too. I love them. The pair on the bottom are LaFont's. They look really cool on. My sunglasses have polarized lenses - the first time ever - and what a huge difference those make! I will always have polarized Rx sunglasses from now on.

haddon91327245868.2436152 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa
On 1/22/2012 Desi said:

It's cyclical like clothing fashions. They went as small as possible, and now the larger styles look fresh. Very different always seems new. My glasses are so pricey I just get what looks good the year I get them, and wear them about 5 years, which is usually when I need new lenses, but that's me.

You have to figure in the weight of the lenses you wear. You are trying them on with non-prescription light demo lenses. If you have a high RX, larger frames will way a significant amount more than what you are used to (and it might dig in your nose, or slide down).

If you are willing to pay more they make even very strong RX lenses amazingly thin and lightweight now!

happy hous­ewife1327250296.16331991 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I broke my rimless glasses last month so I am stuck with my old pair til I can get new ones on my insurance in April. These are so small I hate them - next pair I am planning to get a plastic frame to be more stable and a bit bigger so as that style progresses I can keep them. This will be my final pair of glasses on insurance and after this i will have to pay cash, so durability and a style that will go forward a few years is essential.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

mlw421327251265.013818 PostsRegistered 1/12/2009

Enjoy reading what you gals have to say about your glasses. However, for me I like change and would never keep the same frames for more than a year or so. I feel that glasses are a part of my wardrobe which I wear every day just like my makeup/lipstick. I know I personally spend a lot of $$$$$ on my frames, but when I consider how many days/hours I spend wearing them its well worth it in my eyes. No pun intended.

I think many women are afraid of change, no matter what it is... smaller/larger frames, a shorter/longer hairstyle, colored nail polishes, boot cut/straight leg pant etc. For me, I love change both in my wardrobe and my home furnishings. Thank goodness I love my hubby, or I'd be changing him too. JUST KIDDING!

Whatever style you choose, enjoy!

MarthaStew­ardess1327251370.317295 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I don't wear my glasses very often, but when I need new ones, I am going to keep the frames that I have. They are smallish, metal frames. I get compliments on them. Personally, I hate frames that look like plastic and I don't like the ones that have the big sides or anything with bling on it.

Brabls1327252227.0914740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

I am old enough that I remeber huge lenses. Touched the top of my cheeks when I smiled & they went so high on my fave that I had MU smudges on the top, about where they covered the eyebrows. Always cleaning MU off of them.

Then they went supper small-almost the size of readers & difficult to to a bi-focal into them.

Now, I go for a sty;le that is least ontrusive & enhancea my face. When I go for glasses, I just ask the sales associate, "What do you have that are closets tho my current glasses?"

drizzellla1327254413.3731533 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

You read my mind about glasses. I wanted new glasses during the summer and went to my eye doctor. His selection of eyeglasses were entirely skinny frames. They were about 1". I ended up getting a pair exactly like a pair I got about 4 years ago - only a different color. Now I am wondering if I should try a different eye doctor. Because I don't want any more skinny frames - I have plenty of them.

The bad news is Time Flies
The good news is You are the pilot.

Brabls1327257473.6114740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
On 1/22/2012 drizzellla said:

You read my mind about glasses. I wanted new glasses during the summer and went to my eye doctor. His selection of eyeglasses were entirely skinny frames. They were about 1". I ended up getting a pair exactly like a pair I got about 4 years ago - only a different color. Now I am wondering if I should try a different eye doctor. Because I don't want any more skinny frames - I have plenty of them.

You can take your eyeglass prescription to any optician to get if filled. If you are ahppy with your doc, keep him. Just go to the mall eyeglass places to get the latest tends.

Hipmom1327257990.153286 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

I just purchased a new pair from Costco. The frame is by Moda & they look like the Demi Moore geek glasses that are very in style.

Sunny Side­Up1327259148.891176 PostsRegistered 3/1/2011

I also have the geek glasses that Demi Moore wears. I don't use them often, but when I do, I get ask where I purchased them. I also have Michael Kors sunglasses in black and brown. Love them and I am hard on prescription sunglasses. They take the abuse very well. Just get what you like. Happy Sunday.

Silver Lin­ing1327259320.8973641 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010

Please keep the comments and recommendations coming!!! I'll have to get new glasses in the next couple of months. Years ago I had lasik surgery, but still need glasses at times. I've noticed a need for a stronger prescription for a while now. I've been putting it off because I always get a pair and a spare, and I'll also have to replace my sunglasses.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next