Weekend Preview
17 Members and 8700 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Can Someone Describe Ponte Knit to Me?

Started 1318621679.807 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1318784445.103 by Sammijo

Hi,

I'm a newbie on the board, although I've been lurching around awhile. I'm wondering if someone can described ponte knit to me? The hosts talk about it often. Is it like any other double knit...silkier, lighter, heavier, or what? I'm puzzled and don't want to order until I know what it is like. Thank you!

Madisson

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 1 of 1
Crazy for ­QVC1318623858.3878652 PostsRegistered 11/3/2007

I would compare it to what was called "double knit" from years ago...it's what I would say the weight comparible to a sweatshirt fabric...has a good amount of stretch...I have several ponte knit blazers including the Susan Graver boyfriend jackets and really love them...they are great to throw on with jeans to dress up an outfit...You should probably just order one item and see how you like it...the worst that can happen is you have to return it...

Suzzeee1318624200.5172394 PostsRegistered 6/15/2007West Coast

It's a heavier weight substantial knit with a decent amount of stretch. I like it a lot - it holds its shape and is really flattering unlike most of those super lightweight knits. It's also not crazy "bungy cord" stretchy like a lot of the knits I see lately. Roma Ponte is supposed to be the higher end on ponte knit -- I just saw something online at I think NM in a Ponte de Roma knit and it wasn't inexpensive. It's also a tightly woven, dense knit that's very smooth! I agree with Crazy for QVC - order something and see if how you like it.

Last edited on 10/14/2011

Last edited on 10/14/2011

HopeReigns1318639076.8533517 PostsRegistered 5/4/2007

To me it is the old "leisure suit" double knit of the past....just reborn as "ponte".

Hope, >^.^<

"

2cavvies1318639787.363129 PostsRegistered 10/13/2011
On 10/14/2011 HopeReigns said:

To me it is the old "leisure suit" double knit of the past....just reborn as "ponte".

I love ponte knit. It is soft yet substantial. A "knit" that has give, but does not bag out as the day goes on. It does not show the lumps or bumps if your body is less than perfect. Color is very saturated, rich the way roma ponte absorbs dye. It and washes beautifully. It is not a schlumpy fabric,

It reminds me of a beautiful gaberdine from the 70's when fabrics were made to last. A 3 season fabric, if not 4 depending where you live.

Tenderfoot­s Mom1318640068.3972312 PostsRegistered 8/9/2007Sierra Vista AZ

To me it's like a good quality sweatshirt material except no french terry back. I loved the SG things I got but after a few "gentle" washings and hang drys they started to pill or ball up so I returned them and now just buy Liquid Knit from her. Good luck!

CC

Good Natured, Tender Hearted

Giordan1318689552.7871927 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011
On 10/14/2011 Cactus Cathy said:

To me it's like a good quality sweatshirt material except no french terry back. I loved the SG things I got but after a few "gentle" washings and hang drys they started to pill or ball up so I returned them and now just buy Liquid Knit from her. Good luck!

CC

It's not just SG that "pills". I have a pair of pants from Lands" End that have pilled as well. It might just be the "nature of the beast".

Zoologist1318689852.026013 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010

It's a medium thickness of knit, popular 40 yrs ago.

Shrinks like CRAZY, so NEVER put it in the dryer!

Think baggy butt and knee areas of the garment after a few wearings, tho, plus it pills.

I know Susan Graver targets her clothing line for the much older woman, so she should just say "This is like you wore back in the 1960s, girls".

Madisson1318691438.0372257 PostsRegistered 10/13/2011SoCal
On 10/15/2011 Zoologist said:

Think baggy butt and knee areas of the garment after a few wearings, tho, plus it pills.

I know Susan Graver targets her clothing line for the much older woman, so she should just say "This is like you wore back in the 1960s, girls".

Zoologist,

Does the baggy butt and knee area go away after you wash it? Just curious since someone said don't dry it. Thanks!

― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Giordan1318693740.2231927 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011
On 10/15/2011 Zoologist said:

Excellent! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Hooty1318695895.0219060 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~War Eagle Country~

I agree it is similar to the old "double knit", perfect for cooler months, too thick for summer heat! If it has a bit of lycra in it, I don't think it should be baggy at all!

2cavvies1318698289.7129 PostsRegistered 10/13/2011

Madisson,

Sorry, looking at the responses I might have misunderstood the question. I would not want to steer you wrong. I was referring to Linea Roma Ponte, not Susan Graver ponte. I agree with the responses regarding S.G. ponte, I do not care for it. S.G. ponte is comprised of mostly (75% in most cases) polyester and 25% rayon.

Linea Roma ponte is 67% rayon, 29% nylon. These two ponte types are very different, apples and oranges. My favorite fabric construction is rayon and cotton, so I have an affinity towards Linea Roma Ponte. I sewed for a living for 13 years and can be a fabric snob. I apologize if Ii offended anyone. We all have our preferences. Susan makes some lovely outfits, I'm just not a fan of her ponte.

Madisson1318698957.422257 PostsRegistered 10/13/2011SoCal

Thank you all. I think I have a feeling for it now. I'm just looking for something more comfortable than jeans to wear around the house. Maybe yoga pants are the answer.

― Marcus Tullius Cicero

happy hous­ewife1318700478.30731991 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

Ponte is polyester double knit (think 70's) but with a bit of something like rayon added in for a slightly better appearance. It was gross back then and IMO it still is.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

BurbankKate1318703600.086188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world
On 10/15/2011 morning lover said:

Ponte is polyester double knit (think 70's) but with a bit of something like rayon added in for a slightly better appearance. It was gross back then and IMO it still is.

LOL!!! ITA!! Amazing how SG and some of the other "designers" push this stuff. You are so right, it is "gross"...and the other poster had me laughing as well..."same as what you wore back in the 60's girls"...now that's funny! I think the women who buy ponte are so much older. Everytime someone calls in on this stuff they talk about their grandchildren and how nice it is to wear ponte because it doesn't wrinkle when they are playing with their grandkids...that lets you know this stuff is for older women.

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

PBJ1318705997.716821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007
On 10/14/2011 Crazy for QVC said:

I would compare it to what was called "double knit" from years ago...it's what I would say the weight comparible to a sweatshirt fabric...has a good amount of stretch...I have several ponte knit blazers including the Susan Graver boyfriend jackets and really love them...they are great to throw on with jeans to dress up an outfit...You should probably just order one item and see how you like it...the worst that can happen is you have to return it...

Thanks for mentioning the Susan Graver Boyfriend jacket. I'm considering getting the ruched sleeve boyfriend jacket. I really want something casual to throw on with yoga pants or jeans when I'm running errands and this seems like it would work for what I want. Slightly concerned about some of the reviews of the jacket and the material but I may give it a try. Thanks.

Poor but Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rock_chick1318761596.588689 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas

I have a ponte black pencil skirt (not from here) and it is fabulous! I like the thicker weight (can't see every body imperfection) and it holds its shape well - has some give, but doesn't get baggy.

With hope and heart, Kathleen ♥ ♥ ♥
Joy is a net of love in which you can catch souls. ~ Mother Teresa

PBJ1318780987.0076821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007
On 10/16/2011 Rock_chick said:

I have a ponte black pencil skirt (not from here) and it is fabulous! I like the thicker weight (can't see every body imperfection) and it holds its shape well - has some give, but doesn't get baggy.

I actually tried on a thicker knit (probably ponte) skirt and top at New York and Company recently. It fit great and held everything in without being tight. I didn't purchase because I didn't have a real reason to have it at this time but it was very nice.

I'm actually attracted to this thicker, heavier knit look, especially in dresses. There is a conservative dress in the Jennifer Lopez Collection I really like. I also saw a heavier knit dress at Marshall's the other day that I really liked. I think it takes me back to fashions my mom and grandmother wore but not in a dated way-in a fashionable, classic kind of way.

Poor but Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sammijo1318784445.072629 PostsRegistered 5/14/2011upstate ny
On 10/15/2011 2cavvies said:

Madisson,

Sorry, looking at the responses I might have misunderstood the question. I would not want to steer you wrong. I was referring to Linea Roma Ponte, not Susan Graver ponte. I agree with the responses regarding S.G. ponte, I do not care for it. S.G. ponte is comprised of mostly (75% in most cases) polyester and 25% rayon.

Linea Roma ponte is 67% rayon, 29% nylon. These two ponte types are very different, apples and oranges. My favorite fabric construction is rayon and cotton, so I have an affinity towards Linea Roma Ponte. I sewed for a living for 13 years and can be a fabric snob. I apologize if Ii offended anyone. We all have our preferences. Susan makes some lovely outfits, I'm just not a fan of her ponte.

Cavvie is correct. I always wondered myself and did a bit of research on what exactly 'ponte knit' really is. A ponte knit is a heavy knit fabric with varying degrees of rayon or polyester, nylon and spandex. A high percentage of polyester will feel like those spongy leisure suits of the 70s and pill terribly. The best 'ponte di roma' has no polyester but the major percentage is rayon (technically a 'natural' fiber because it's made of cellulose - I know, gross, huh?). It will wash and wear pretty well.

Also critical is the percentage of spandex. A 4-5% will mean baggy knees and butt, a low percentage will mean a nice 'give' to the fabric but it will spring back.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about the fabric, but since I looked it up, I've been checking the fabric composition on items in stores and sure enough, the ones that had the best 'feel' were the ones with a high percentage of rayon and a lower percentage of spandex. I've found the ones with at least 75% rayon feel the best. The ones with polyester felt spongy.

Just my observations.

Sammijo

Page 1 of 1