Just-Reduced Clearance
71 Members and 12232 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Knitting your own Infinity scarf

Started 1314119901.373 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1314548621.937 by rogan

I am going to make my own Infinity scarf on size 10 Circular needles but am not finding a pattern I can download for some reason. I need to know how many stitches to cast on.

Has anyone done this. Much cheaper than buying one already made if you are a knitter.

I have the yarn but don't know how many stitches to cast on.

Thanks. I think I am having an "idiot moment" {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Page 1 of 2
shopped out1314121458.653197 PostsRegistered 10/5/2005

Go to Google! put in infinity scarf pattern/free patterns and see all the sites that come up.

I like, BerrocoKnitBits, KnitPicky and Knitting For Free, also Red Heart. Joining these sites are all free and many will lead to you discounted supplies and more ideas from other countries. Have Fun....saving money!

DebbieDD1314121467.3978109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004

I made a couple of gorgeous infinity scarves last year. Such quick, easy and rewarding projects. To tell you the truth I hate circular needles and just made a traditional, super long scarf and then connected the edges with a single seam. I just go by the gage and then determine the size. Never used a pattern for something this simple but I am sure you can google and many would come up for circular needles too. Enjoy!

lulu21314121694.25319827 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

I made this last winter.

matchpoint1314121853.55397 PostsRegistered 5/26/2007

Last edited on 8/23/2011

Last edited on 8/23/2011

Last edited on 8/23/2011

bopper1314125990.10713935 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007

Thanks all. Going to check out these sites. I am not a novice knitter but wasn't sure on how many stitches to cast on. Thanks again.

robomo1314126555.499199 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

I'm not into knitting, but these cool scarves have made me want to start crocheting again. I love scarves anyhow and surely a couple of skeins of yard at Michaels are a lot more reasonable than some of these I've seen ready made. I just printed off a great pattern from the net!

UpTooEarly1314130887.487853 PostsRegistered 1/18/2011

It's just math. If you are knitting the scarf longways (back and forth around the circle, then grafting) just multiply how wide you want it by stitches per inch in the gauge. I'd recommend knitting an infinity scarf this way and grafting the ends together. That way you can see right from the start how wide it is knit till it's as long as you want, and then graft. If you knit it around in a circle it will be very difficult to size it.

Ravelry.com will have dozens and dozens of infinity scarf patterns for free. I made several last year and really, really like them. they stay where you put them.

Love Roses1314131051.729622 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007

Oh, how pretty. I envy you knitters. I went to the site that lulu2 posted. It's a lovely scarf.

Never Forget - The Native American Indian Holocausts!

Kathleen1314131430.59311903 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

Swatch* to calculate your stitches/rows per inch (gauge). Decide how long you want the scarf and cast on the appropriate number of stitches on circular needle.

At this point - decide on the stitch you'll use: something lacy? garter stitch? etc.

Join to knit in the round. Keep going until it's as wide as you want it to be.

To crochet - make a long chain, join to crochet in the round. Decide on the stitch you want to use and keep going until you have it as wide as you want it to be.

Search for terms "infinity scarf" and "eternity scarf." There are lots and lots of free patterns out there.

*swatch is a sample square. Google for instructions.

Last edited on 8/23/2011

Last edited on 8/23/2011

kachina6241314141762.2712866 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

Here's a pattern I got online. I want to make some as Christmas gifts but it has been 10 years since I've crocheted. Hmmmm, I wonder if it's like riding a bicycle.

The Circle Scarf
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner to intermediate
MATERIALS NEEDED:
HOOK: Size US Q-19 crochet hook
YARN:
5 separate 150 yard balls of worsted weight yarn (750 yards total)
OR
3 separate 150 yard balls of bulky weight yarn (450 yards total)
OR
2 separate 150 yard balls of super bulky weight yarn (300 yards total)
ABBREVIATIONS (AMERICAN):
CH = chain
DC = double crochet
SL ST = slip stitch
YO = yarn over
TIME TO COMPLETE: 1 – 2 hours
GAUGE: Approximately 4 DC to 4 inches. A little variation won’t matter since this scarf
has a lot of stretch built in. Plus, everyone crochets a little different. I tend to crochet
very loosely so your gauge may be a little less than 4 inches for 4 DC.
TO START: Holding the five strands of yarn together (3 strands for bulky, 2 strands for
super bulky), loosely CH 63. This is the foundation row. It should measure about 62”.
NOTE: Now is the time to adjust it if you want it to be bigger or smaller around. For
example, take out chains if you want it smaller (say, for a child) or add more chains if
you want it bigger. Since the gauge is pretty much 1 stitch measures 1 inch, you can
just chain as many stitches as the diameter you want. For example, CH 88 if you want
it to be 88 inches around. Of course, if you make it bigger it is going to take more yarn
so be sure and consider that in your calculations.
SL ST to the first chain of the foundation to make a ring. Be very careful that the length
of 63 chains is straight and not twisted. (This is probably the trickiest part of the pattern.
If the chain is twisted, subsequent rounds are going to be twisted as well.)
ROUND 1: CH 3. (Counts as the first DC.) DC in each of the remaining 62 chains all
the way around. SL ST to the 3rd chain of the first CH 3 of the row. Now is a good time
to double check that your circle is not ‘twisted.’
ROUND 2: CH 3. (Counts as the first DC.) DC in each of the remaining 62 chains all
the way around. SL ST to the 3rd chain of the first CH 3 of the row.
ROUNDS 3-5: Repeat Round 2.
You can add another round or two if you want your scarf to be wider or you can stop
here.
TO FINISH: SL ST to the next stitch. YO, pull through the hook and cut the yarn. Pull
tight. Weave in loose ends.
SUGGESTION FOR YOUR NEXT CIRCLE SCARF: Combine different yarn weights,
colors and textures to create a truly one-of-a-kind scarf!
I hope you enjoyed making the cowl! Feel free to email me at
timaryart@yahoo.com with any questions or suggestions. You can
find more of my patterns at www.timaryart.etsy.com.

kachina6241314141763.93312866 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

Here's a pattern I got online. I want to make some as Christmas gifts but it has been 10 years since I've crocheted. Hmmmm, I wonder if it's like riding a bicycle.

The Circle Scarf
MATERIALS NEEDED:
YARN:
OR
OR
CH = chain
DC = double crochet
SL ST = slip stitch
YO = yarn over
GAUGE: Approximately 4 DC to 4 inches. A little variation won’t matter since this scarf
has a lot of stretch built in. Plus, everyone crochets a little different. I tend to crochet
TO START: Holding the five strands of yarn together (3 strands for bulky, 2 strands for
super bulky), loosely CH 63. This is the foundation row. It should measure about 62”.
NOTE: Now is the time to adjust it if you want it to be bigger or smaller around. For
example, take out chains if you want it smaller (say, for a child) or add more chains if
you want it bigger. Since the gauge is pretty much 1 stitch measures 1 inch, you can
just chain as many stitches as the diameter you want. For example, CH 88 if you want
it to be 88 inches around. Of course, if you make it bigger it is going to take more yarn
SL ST to the first chain of the foundation to make a ring. Be very careful that the length
of 63 chains is straight and not twisted. (This is probably the trickiest part of the pattern.
ROUND 1: CH 3. (Counts as the first DC.) DC in each of the remaining 62 chains all
the way around. SL ST to the 3rd chain of the first CH 3 of the row. Now is a good time
ROUND 2: CH 3. (Counts as the first DC.) DC in each of the remaining 62 chains all
You can add another round or two if you want your scarf to be wider or you can stop
here.
TO FINISH: SL ST to the next stitch. YO, pull through the hook and cut the yarn. Pull
I hope you enjoyed making the cowl! Feel free to email me at
timaryart@yahoo.com with any questions or suggestions. You can
find more of my patterns at www.timaryart.etsy.com.

kachina6241314141938.5412866 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

Here's a pattern I found online. I want to make some as Christmas gifts but it's been 10 years since I crocheted. Hmmmmm, I wonder if it's like riding a bicycle?

The Circle Scarf
MATERIALS NEEDED:
YARN:
OR
OR
CH = chain
DC = double crochet
SL ST = slip stitch
YO = yarn over
here.

kachina6241314142093.2812866 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico

Here's a pattern I found online. I wanted to make some as Christmas gifts but it has been 10 years since I've crocheted. Hmmmm, I wonder if it's like riding a bicycle?

The Circle Scarf
MATERIALS NEEDED:
YARN:
OR
OR
CH = chain
DC = double crochet
SL ST = slip stitch
YO = yarn over
here.

FOR SOME REASON THIS INSISTS ON POSTING TWICE. SORRY.

Last edited on 8/23/2011

Last edited on 8/23/2011

momcat1314186411.35879 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010

Oh wow. You gals are really into this. I have too many projects to get to without adding knitting to it. Please let me know if any of your creations end up on ebay!

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

gonnab1314190843.712801 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007Conn.

Lulu2 = Thanks for the info and the link to a pattern. Gave me an idea for some presents. But maybe you can clear up a question. Since I had never heard of Jade yarns, I went to their website (even found a store that is nearby) and the silk cashmere yarn calls for #1-3 needles. Yet the pattern which you showed calls for #6 needles. Big difference! Can you tell me what # you used?

age 77, sensitive/combo skin, few fine lines, lack of firmness especially to cheeks, short natural (never colored) grey hair, brown eyes

lulu21314202127.39319827 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
On 8/24/2011 gonnab said:

Lulu2 = Thanks for the info and the link to a pattern. Gave me an idea for some presents. But maybe you can clear up a question. Since I had never heard of Jade yarns, I went to their website (even found a store that is nearby) and the silk cashmere yarn calls for #1-3 needles. Yet the pattern which you showed calls for #6 needles. Big difference! Can you tell me what # you used?

I did not use the suggested yarn rather Lion Brand Cashmere. I did use size 6 needles.

gonnab1314277598.7172801 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007Conn.

Thanks! I would guess that the Lion Brand was less expensive! Am gonna try it.

age 77, sensitive/combo skin, few fine lines, lack of firmness especially to cheeks, short natural (never colored) grey hair, brown eyes

Giordan1314373096.3431863 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011

Loved all the info here.

Thanks everyone!

nantucket ­shore1314375851.6375349 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007

How do you know when to stop??? Isn't it a never ending process???{#emotions_dlg.lol}

sfnative1314400952.944998 PostsRegistered 4/23/2007Portland, OR

Just found a great one in the latest Lyon Yarn catalog (it's on a right hand page toward the front of the catalog). Love the yarn they used, so am going to order it this weekend. Can't recall the pattern number. Still at work...

You've had wonderful suggestions and know you'll really enjoy knitting your scarf. I love knitting in the round. Just completed another Harry Potter scarf using that technique.

"Whatever satisfies the soul is truth." Walt Whitman

sfnative1314401311.1474998 PostsRegistered 4/23/2007Portland, OR
On 8/23/2011 Love Roses said:

Oh, how pretty. I envy you knitters. I went to the site that lulu2 posted. It's a lovely scarf.

Love Roses:

I am a self-taught knitter who had to struggle through several attempts, each time giving up for a couple of years due to frustration. My problem was that my hands needed to knit using the Continental technique, not the American technique. I'm pretty sure this is because I've crocheted for years before taking on knitting recently. Using the Continental Technique, I can knit fast, acurately and my stitches look darn good.

Try getting a hold of an inexpensive instructional book and/or DVD. There are some out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.

"Whatever satisfies the soul is truth." Walt Whitman

Knitgirly1314401597.631619 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 8/23/2011 lulu2 said:

I made this last winter.

Thank you Lulu for the link. It's lovely. I have just the yarn for it, and if Irene hits us bad (praying not)- I may do a lot of knitting! Be well~

Last edited on 8/26/2011

Last edited on 8/26/2011

magicmoodz1314405536.5074526 PostsRegistered 6/23/2008
On 8/26/2011 sfnative said:
My problem was that my hands needed to knit using the Continental technique, not the American technique. I'm pretty sure this is because I've crocheted for years before taking on knitting recently. Using the Continental Technique, I can knit fast, acurately and my stitches look darn good.

I knit using the Continental technique,too. I am left-handed and I know this style is often prescribed for us lefties, but I actually knit right-handed. I love watching someone "throw" yarn (English/American) and went to a yarn shop to see if someone would teach me, but was advised to not give up my Continental style.

I buy expensive suits. They just look cheap on me.
~ Warren Buffett ~

keep growi­ng1314508231.237973 PostsRegistered 6/20/2011

Thanks much for all the info. and tips!{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

A Walker1314508573.6271220 PostsRegistered 1/4/2011

Whoa... just came here after reading about infidelity rumors in the Will/Jada Smith marriage.... read your OP as "Knitting Your Own Infidelity Scarf" haha backtracked reallllllll fast to see what you actually posted! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Page 1 of 2