Better Than Black Friday
61 Members and 17157 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

I ordered this Travelon bag and there is a Warning on the receipt

Started 1312591658.447 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1312817718.823 by happy housewife
<h3>This item contains Lead and the warning is required for the State of California. It is hazardous to children and reproductive women. </h3>

Why wouldn't they state that on air and and on the description? Also, why do they ship and charge you first and then inform you on the bottom of the receipt, where most wouldn't even read? I DON'T WANT IT IF IT IS HAZERDOUS. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IN ADVANCE SO I CAN MAKE THE DECISION NOT TO ADD THE CHARGE TO MY ACCOUNT ALSO.

I suspect that all of their pull tags and added dangle logo have lead in them if not 100%.

<h3>F08936</h3> No Image Found
<h3 id="itemcolorsizedescription_2">Travelon Crinkle Nylon 3 Compartment Essentials Bag</h3>

Page 1 of 2
Mustangshar1312594024.477991 PostsRegistered 12/7/2006Chicago Burbs
Of course if they did air that information, it would hurt sales. Now, thus world is just getting crazy with all these problems. I'm assuming its imported...gosh, I wouldn't buy one either. That's crazy!

Sharon :)
WNYgal said The Shame Sisters, otherwise known as Linea Anonymous.

CaChica1312594270.645897 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006

Of course, it was made in China. Such a shame, I think they only offer the warning as a 'p.s.' to those in California. Other state's pregnant moms and children aren't even informed!

tracy1312594885.587337 PostsRegistered 4/9/2010

The same thing happened to me at Xmas. I bought a purse made of candy wrappers made by mexican women from QVC for my child. I was shocked to read the receipt that said the purse contains lead and is a health hazard especially to children. I called Qvc to complain that I should have to pay to send back a dangerous item and they kindly paid for return postage.

m2p1312595155.097289 PostsRegistered 6/23/2010

Blame California's Prop 65, here. More info from the American Cancer Society here.

CaChica1312599899.25897 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006
On 8/5/2011 m2p said:

Blame California's Prop 65, here. More info from the American Cancer Society here.

California and the American Cancer Society are not the ones to blame.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1312600063.3514437 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

Unless someone plans on eating the handbag I don't see how it can be that much of a problem.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

shoekitty1312601891.83713114 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

Kids, especially toddlers have a tendency to put things in their mouth so they need to inform consumers. Also, lead is everywhere, in everything just about. It is not one product that will hurt you, it is being exposed to lead everyday, year in, year out, that builds up and may have an effect. Children are especially vulnerable, I can fend for myself..but I would never expose my GK's to knowingly. To say, "a little lead won't hurt you", is not something I have to even think about. Just me.

I for one am glad for the California prop 65 law. It is the manufacturers fault, not prop65 or the Cancer Society for Pete's sake. Tell me how much more would it have cost to use aluminum, nickle or another metal> What did it save 10 cents on the whole bag to contaminate it with lead. JMHO

Last edited on 8/5/2011

Last edited on 8/5/2011

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

m2p1312602192.187289 PostsRegistered 6/23/2010
Sorry if I wasn't clear, prop 65 is the reason for the warning label, and the ACS link was for additional information. There was a big story about the amount of lead found on woman's handbags over a year ago. Many on this site commented on it, I believe the lead is also in the dyes not just the metal parts.

baby burns1312602776.428793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

THE ONLY STATE IS CALIFORNIA, THEY ARE THER ONLY ONES. IT IS NOT GOING HURT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shoekitty1312602805.413114 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006
On 8/5/2011 m2p said: Sorry if I wasn't clear, prop 65 is the reason for the warning label, and the ACS link was for additional information. There was a big story about the amount of lead found on woman's handbags over a year ago. Many on this site commented on it, I believe the lead is also in the dyes not just the metal parts.

Thank you for clarifying that. I forgot about the lead in dyes. If I remember, it can be in fabrics that are coated, and treated. Like suitcases, raincoats, and waterproof bags as well. Just like paint, earth based dyes can contain lead. A whole batch of appliqued toddlers sweaters, and jammies with Barney on them were recalled when my GD was little. She loved Barney!! Taking those away was life changing let me tell you!!! She is 22 now, and still recalls the loss of her favorite Barney Jammies. LOL

Auntie Mame

sunshine451312603263.4342614 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 8/5/2011 baby burns said:

THE ONLY STATE IS CALIFORNIA, THEY ARE THER ONLY ONES. IT IS NOT GOING HURT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not a fan of prop 65..... there are signs posted pretty much EVERYWHERE in california with this warning, including laundry rooms, restaurants, grocery stores, shops, gas stations, etc.....

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

esmerelda1312603761.59314409 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I think CA overreacts sometimes. I bought a wallet earlier this year (not Travelon, not from QVC) and it had the same warning. I was concerned at first, went online and read about it. NBD IMO. I kept (and LOVE) the wallet.

Nothing fuels bravery more than the lack of the will to live. ~Lovers at the Chameleon Club, Paris 1932: A Novel (Francine Prose)

shoekitty1312607178.33313114 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006
On 8/5/2011 sunshine45 said:

not a fan of prop 65..... there are signs posted pretty much EVERYWHERE in california with this warning, including laundry rooms, restaurants, grocery stores, shops, gas stations, etc.....

What is wrong with posting signs? Geeesh. There is no law against selling most of the lead stuff. They sell all the lead china and cookware and furniture at TJMAXX all the time, they post a sign and that is it. The dollar store is full of voluntary recalls. One has a choice. I love California, and have really come to love the non smoking laws and prop 65. I only came to really appreciate it when I travelled to another state where smokers were in every restaurant, outside the stores. Even in an insurence office we went into, the secretary was smoking and we had to shorten or visit. Awful.. Even the non smoking hotel rooms reeked of smoke (we had to be moved 2 times). We went to a park and moms smoking on a park bench ruined it for us. Everywhere we moved the smoke followed us. Outside the church, in the cemetery, at the airport.

Auntie Mame

sunshine451312607667.642614 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 8/5/2011 shoekitty said:
On 8/5/2011 sunshine45 said:

What is wrong with posting signs? Geeesh. There is no law against selling most of the lead stuff. They sell all the lead china and cookware and furniture at TJMAXX all the time, they post a sign and that is it. The dollar store is full of voluntary recalls. One has a choice. I love California, and have really come to love the non smoking laws and prop 65. I only came to really appreciate it when I travelled to another state where smokers were in every restaurant, outside the stores. Even in an insurence office we went into, the secretary was smoking and we had to shorten or visit. Awful.. Even the non smoking hotel rooms reeked of smoke (we had to be moved 2 times). We went to a park and moms smoking on a park bench ruined it for us. Everywhere we moved the smoke followed us. Outside the church, in the cemetery, at the airport.

nothing wrong with posting signs, but it is overkill....plain and simple..... and i find it ironic that they pass these props and post these signs when they have some of the WORST pollution in the country. i may have to live with it, but i dont have to like it.

hsn actually will not even allow you to ship an item into california if it has one of those warning labels due to prop 65.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

CaChica1312608609.5675897 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006

nothing wrong with posting signs, but it is overkill....plain and simple..... and i find it ironic that they pass these props and post these signs when they have some of the WORST pollution in the country. i may have to live with it, but i dont have to like it.

hsn actually will not even allow you to ship an item into california if it has one of those warning labels due to prop 65.

QVC should not ship an item into California if it has a warning for the item. It's a bad business practice to surprise a customer with a warning, after the customer paid for shipping, in good faith.

I appreciate all of the signs that are posted with the warnings. I know what to avoid.

sunshine451312609371.16742614 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 8/5/2011 OceanMst said:

QVC should not ship an item into California if it has a warning for the item. It's a bad business practice to surprise a customer with a warning, after the customer paid for shipping, in good faith.

I appreciate all of the signs that are posted with the warnings. I know what to avoid.

when you send it back, make sure to get your return shipping refunded.

Desertdi1312630014.3216198 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

CA has gone overboard on their "warnings".

lovestotea­ch1312631152.34315291 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

That lead warning is on some tubular Christmas lights that I purchased from WM five years ago. I says to "wash hands thoroughly after handling." I'd imagine there might be lead in almost everything, but its nice to be forewarned. (ie: purse, lights, makeup)

Lovestoteach~ ~ ♥ ♥♥

Idacat1312634656.344707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

Are you planning on eating, eating from, or serving/drinking orange juice from this purse?

If not, don't worry. To hurt you lead has to be ingested.

shelinmi1312636041.833399 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006Lovely West Michigan

I am a merchandiser - last week I worked 12 hours on placing cheap vinyl purses and wondered to myself how much lead I touched. There is so much cancer in the world, I don't blame some people for being concerned.

missy11312636265.42332589 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

I like Travelon purses (own many). The ones that smell are the KVZ bags.

happy hous­ewife1312636456.53732689 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 8/5/2011 m2p said:

The issue with lead is NOT that it causes cancer - however - it can cause learning disabilities. Generally, though, lead must be ingested(eaten) to cause any damage at all. For instance if you have lead paint in your home it won't hurt you just because it is there but it can harm small children who supposedly pick the paint off and eat it. So, unless your going to chew on your purse it is harmless.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

CaChica1312674329.095897 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006

My review was just rejected.

QVC does not want customers to know there is a warning for this item.

shoekitty1312694249.4213114 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006
On 8/6/2011 OceanMst said:

My review was just rejected.

QVC does not want customers to know there is a warning for this item.

Oceanmist, that is just sooooooooo wrong. I mean really wrong. Can you call and inquire why?

Auntie Mame

Rowana1312705691.49200 PostsRegistered 3/3/2008
California totally overreacted with Prop. 65. I am a proud Californian but come on. Consumers don't need to be " protected" ad nauseum with signs - it all becomes like the boy who cried wolf, and everyone starts ignoring them. HSN for a while refused to ship certain items to California - another totally idiotic overreaction (for a couple of items I really wanted, I had to have them ship to one of my friends in another state, and I then paid my friend back for shipping to me - arrrgh!). None of this lead will hurt you unless you are into eating quantities of it. If you are wearing it or carrying it, it's not going to leach into your body.

Page 1 of 2