TSV(R) Preview
129 Members and 15954 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Security wallets~ Overkill concerns?

Started 1292852210.07 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1292898259.87 by colson
replies

Lately I have seen two-three TV programs feature crimes against credit cards by scanners in public places. One was a news program and the other 2-3 were crime dramas. Does anyone have a "take" on the problem or potential problem. I plan to travel and want to be as safe as possible. I would carry one credit card and a passport.

I don't feel threatened at shopping malls as I never shop there. I am an "online shopper" most of the time.

Page 1 of 1
Kathleen1292856731.213133 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

I saw an ad on the TV over the weekend for one of those metal wallets. If it makes you feel better - get it.

I've traveled all over the US and abroad without any problems using a normal wallet and handbag. I just use normal precautions of not leaving my handbag unattended.

MarthaStew­ardess1292857165.4837295 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

QVC had a wallet on there a couple of weeks ago that was supposed to prevent this issue.

bonnielu1292857410.4975804 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I saw the wallets on the Q and on Magellans website and ebags, etc. The so-called problem was featured on CNN or was it Fox? I also saw two crime-drama programs. This is all in the past 2 weeks. So I guess I was concerned and wanted to know if anyone had any experience or advice. I also posted to one more forum just in case this did not get noticed. It really doesn't fit fashion, so I put it in viewpoints. I am starting to think it should have been in electronics. Oh well. I doubt the Q will make a forum just for me.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

momcat1292859216.276378 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010
On 12/20/2010 bonnielu said:

I saw the wallets on the Q and on Magellans website and ebags, etc. The so-called problem was featured on CNN or was it Fox? I also saw two crime-drama programs. This is all in the past 2 weeks. So I guess I was concerned and wanted to know if anyone had any experience or advice. I also posted to one more forum just in case this did not get noticed. It really doesn't fit fashion, so I put it in viewpoints. I am starting to think it should have been in electronics. Oh well. I doubt the Q will make a forum just for me.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

If you saw the coverage on Fox news channel, the security expert they had on stated that this should not be a concern. He even demonstrated the equipment on the show. It doesn't pick up enough information to do harm. For instance, that 3 digit code printed on the back. Of course, some of these vendors have jumped on the bandwagon to sell credit card sleeves. Everyone wants to make a buck off of our fear. If it bothers you too much, just pay attention to anyone holding a very large bag right up next to you. They have to get pretty close, so you'll most likely notice the scumbag.

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

Idacat1292859346.994707 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005Idaho !!!!

Not many people need them now, but in the next few years if this catches on you will have a very valid concern, and, if you are one of the few who have a "contactless" or RFID credit card now you DO need to worry about it now.

You will know if your card has the RFID chip technology if it can be read without contact with the reader, without being "swipped".

I cannot imagine why anyone thought using RFID chips versus magnetic strips in credit cards was a good idea when anyone can buy an RFID reader which would allow them easy access to your account information for under $200.

And, RFID has essentially an infinite range. We use RF tags on medical samples that are sent out to remote labs where I work. Once that tag is on that sample the tag can be detected and the sample located ANYWHERE.

So, no, you aren't over reacting if you have a card or cards with the RFID chip.

momcat1292897911.976378 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010
On 12/20/2010 Idacat said:

Not many people need them now, but in the next few years if this catches on you will have a very valid concern, and, if you are one of the few who have a "contactless" or RFID credit card now you DO need to worry about it now.

You will know if your card has the RFID chip technology if it can be read without contact with the reader, without being "swipped".

I cannot imagine why anyone thought using RFID chips versus magnetic strips in credit cards was a good idea when anyone can buy an RFID reader which would allow them easy access to your account information for under $200.

And, RFID has essentially an infinite range. We use RF tags on medical samples that are sent out to remote labs where I work. Once that tag is on that sample the tag can be detected and the sample located ANYWHERE.

So, no, you aren't over reacting if you have a card or cards with the RFID chip.

If you have that chip on your card, you can request that it be taken off. Also, the readers don't get all that much information from that chip anyway. Not enough to do damage. The Fox news channel segment was actually very informative.

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

colson1292898259.877438 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast

If you can, I would bring two, not one, credit card -- as backup in case of problems.

Page 1 of 1