Fall Fashion Clearance
132 Members and 17177 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Help with mildew odor on leather bag

Started 1263883883 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1264037968 by MissCodi
I purchased a beautiful italian leather letter carrier bag at marshalls today and did not notice the strong odor of the leather until I got it home. Really love and do not want to return but cannot stand the smell. Any suggestions as to what I can do to get the odor out? Thanks for any suggestions.
--
Roxi's mom

yorkie nut

Page 1 of 1
buddylou12638839984970 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007
I bought a product at Sam's Club called Odor Ban. They sell it by the gallon and it is a wonderful product for removing odors.

kitkom12639037035646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Good idea with an odor eliminator but I surely wouldn't put any type of liquid on my new Italian leather bag! If the smell is always going to bother you I'd return it. I can't stand odors on anything so this bag would be gone from my collection. There are way too many other handbags out there without these funky odors (from China!).
--
"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

stts12639039562056 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006
I just received a leather Travelon bag from Q that has the same odor. Cute crossbody, but it's going back.

Tenderfoot­s Mom12639045612312 PostsRegistered 8/9/2007Sierra Vista AZ
Coffee beans are supposed to help with oders. Could you put whole beans in a nylon stocking and leave for a day or 2? Maybe that would be enough. Good luck! Cathy
--
Good natured, tender hearted

Good Natured, Tender Hearted

mikeandmon­et1263906818453 PostsRegistered 8/9/2008
Sunlight is supposed to kill mildew. If you can, put it on a table in the sunshine for a few hours for several days. I would also crinkle newspaper, to absorb odors, and stuff in the bag when it's indoors. You could also try an open container of baking soda in the bottom of the bag. Odors take a few days to dissipate. Be patient.

StylishLady12639069583905 PostsRegistered 11/25/2009Florida
They use coffee beans at perfume counters so maybe that would work. It is worth a try. I bought a leather jacket on e-Bay that had a hint of cigarette smoke. I left it outside on my lanai on a hanger for a few days and it went away. A long leather coat I bought from an on line site had such a strong kerosene like odor I had to send it right back. I wasn't about to even try to get rid of that stench. Good luck. Give this thread a "bump" if the coffee beans work.

StyleIcon12639316663222 PostsRegistered 4/7/2006
Yes coffee bean or in the sunlight for a few hours. I always air my new leather bags outside as I don't like new leather smell.

yorkie nut1263932052105 PostsRegistered 11/9/2006
Thank you for the input, I had thought about the sunshine, which we do have some of today, but had never heard of the coffee beans. I will do both today and will report back with results. I did have another bag years ago with the same odor, and it ended up in the trash.
--
Roxi's mom

yorkie nut

Tenderfoot­s Mom12640367532312 PostsRegistered 8/9/2007Sierra Vista AZ
Good luck yourkie!

Good Natured, Tender Hearted

lavenderju­nkie126403731712881 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
First remove all the stuffing and other things that might be inside the handbag. Throw all the paper away.
I use scented dryer sheets when I need to freshen up a new handbag that has a smell. I put 2 crumbled up dryer sheets in the handbag and then hang it over the edge of a wooden chair in a well ventilated area. If it's warm enough, open the window, if not, just put it near the window so it can get some sun.
It may take 2 weeks to get the smell out. It all depends upon what was causing it. Very often these days the smell is coming from chemicals used to prevent bugs in the shipping process or from chemicals used in the leather tanning and dying process. If the smell doesn't go away after 2 weeks, return the handbag.

MissCodi1264037968520 PostsRegistered 8/26/2007
A girl at work was carrying a handbag that her mom gave her..it was stored in the basement and gosh mildew smell was all over that bag.
She tried everything to get rid of the odor.
She carried that bag over a month....thinking eventually the smell would go away.
The smell finally did go away....the day she threw the bag into the garbage !!!!
Leave the tags on the bag and try something like V28258 ~~Don Aslett's SuperSize 32oz Super Concentrated X-O Neutralizer
THAT stuff is amazing ..... and if it stains -- try a leather cleaner after the smell is gone..or return the bag at that point.

Page 1 of 1