Early Access
115 Members and 9649 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Kohl's new return policy question

Started 1290309312.427 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1300161918.77 by jGalt

Hey ladies-

Have you seen those new comercials for Kohl's where they talk about their policy for returns; no receipt no problem type of thing? Just wondering if any of you have made good on their promise and if so, any problems encountered.

I have a couple of tops that I have had a while 6-8 months, probably, that I have bought with my Kohl's charge, that I am unsatisfied with. I do not have original tags. Is it worth trying to return them? I will certainly buy more, since I am in the store...I would be thrilled to exchange them.

Let me know what your experiences have been. Kohl's is hit or miss for me, but the things I Love, I really Love!!

I will attempt to return the items tomorrow and report back with my results!! Any pointers are appreciated!!

Page 1 of 2
gardensla1290309566.45719106 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA

I think it must be similar to Target when they can scan your credit card number and know what you bought and when. I know what you mean by Kohl's--when they get it right I really love what I buy there.

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

sauce621290309993.563366 PostsRegistered 12/10/2006

Thanks gardensla, I will give it a whirl! Any excuse for retail therapy!

winamac1290343208.44319053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana

Gardensia is correct. They just scan the item # and the credit card and can usually find out how you paid for it--meaning which charge. It doesn't work if you used a gift card or kohls cash though. They can't usually find it that way. It has to be on some bank card or debit card or credit card I believe.

KathyPet1290344347.398110 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

A lot of stores now can scan your store credit card and a list of items you purchased and what you paid for them comes up so they can allow you to return things.

Deep inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out. I can usually shut her up with cookies!!

run4life1290353703.53213 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

Im so glad someone asked this question. Ive heard the commercials too and wondered. I bought a pair of the Levis 512 slimming jeans many months ago, took the tags off, threw away the receipt, and told myself I would love them as they were very highly rated on the boards. They just werent right for me, more of a "mom" type very high waisted jean and I despise them every time I look at them and never wore them! Was going to donate them but I will try and take them back. What a policy. Good to know. Runs.

lulu21290353975.54321172 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

Personally I think it is taking advantage of the store's policy if you are returning clothing you've had for 6-8 months, unless there is a quality issue problem. We all have buyer's remorse but either live with it, or give the item(s) to someone who can use them.

CocoaMolly1290354561.237819 PostsRegistered 1/1/2007Midwest

I'm sure you still have to be within their 90-day return policy to return with no receipt. When they look up when you purchased the item, they will see it is way beyond the return policy time and not allow the return. Personally, I would be too embarrassed to try and return something beyond the 90-day return policy unless the product was defective. Lulu2, I'm with you on this one....

PinkyPetun­ia1290354903.184534 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004NJ

I may be wrong, but I thought you had to use the Kohl's charge in order to make returns without a receipt or tags.

peppersmom21290355072.223018 PostsRegistered 8/22/2006

I don't think there is a time limit on when you can return an item. Now that they are advertising this return policy I wonder how long it will be before to many people are returning last seasons clothing because it is last season and they have to change the policy. I have a pair of slacks hanging in my closet with there tags still attached I purchases last spring and they never fit right. Maybe I should return them but at this point I don't think I would feel right about it. I did lose a receipt once and wanted to return some tees and they had no problem finding the information from my credit card information.

You do have to use there Kohls credit card to do this so it is another way to promote why you need there card.

Last edited on 11/21/2010

kinda korny1290355338.1671186 PostsRegistered 12/10/2007WI
On 11/21/2010 PinkyPetunia said:

I may be wrong, but I thought you had to use the Kohl's charge in order to make returns without a receipt or tags.

No, you can take anything back regardless of how you paid, but if they cannot look up the purchase, i.e. with a Kohl's charge account, then unfortunately you may be forced to only be refunded the sale or clearance amount price for that item.

The truth is everyone is going to hurt you...you just have to decide who is worth the pain.

winamac1290355467.6619053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana

They can find it if you put it on any charge--not just a Kohls charge.

KonaKat1290359405.787477 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

If you don't have a receipt and paid with cash, you will get a store credit based upon the current selling price of the item.

A house is not a home unless it has a cat!. ...Thus said Midnight!
QVC Member since merger with CVN.... many dollars and products ago!

winamac1290359644.96719053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana

It pays to save your receipts. I bought a sweater for $21.99. I couldn't find the receipt, and all they'd give me was $11.99 as it went on sale. I try my best to save them especially if I don't pay with a charge.

imaclothes­hog1290363067.07321707 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
On 11/20/2010 gardensla said:

I think it must be similar to Target when they can scan your credit card number and know what you bought and when. I know what you mean by Kohl's--when they get it right I really love what I buy there.

Yep this is the way it works. Like when you go to Target, all they have to do is scan the receipt, and it's all there in the computer. If you do not have a receipt for a Kohls return and you used a debit or credit card, it's all there in the computer, they store your card number. Kinda freaky though knowing your card numbers are in the computer! BUT they know what you bought and when you bought it and can process your return. If you pay with cash or their Kohls cash I don't think it works because they would have no card number for that particular transaction.

Dillard's has a similar system, every item they sell, they stick a bar code with number on the tag. They scan that into the computer and ring up the item price, then you can return the item without the receipt, all they have to do is scan the yellow tag and it shows them what you paid for the item and how you paid for it and can credit your card.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

imaclothes­hog1290363162.7421707 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
On 11/21/2010 winamac said:

It pays to save your receipts. I bought a sweater for $21.99. I couldn't find the receipt, and all they'd give me was $11.99 as it went on sale. I try my best to save them especially if I don't pay with a charge.

ITA; I save all my receipts for everything I buy, and put them in a big shoe box at home. I throw them out after say about 6 mos.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

TootsieHel­lo1290363761.497348 PostsRegistered 10/4/2010

walk in today , esp with your card, and they will refund it - no problem

it's not a new return policy, they've had it a long time - i didn't like the title of this post for that reason

i wondered if they were doing something NEW - i have returned things that were 8 months old, and they have given me no problem

i shop there often

macy's used to have a year return policy, now it's 6 months (or was)

good for kohl's for doing this - all other stores are shortening theirs

guess where i am more likely to shop now!

they also can look things up on a credit card, they didn't used to be able to do this

if you tried clothes on in the dressing room a year ago, they were advertising this in announcements in the room (a year or more ago)

TootsieHel­lo1290363949.727348 PostsRegistered 10/4/2010
On 11/21/2010 peppersmom2 said:

I don't think there is a time limit on when you can return an item. Now that they are advertising this return policy I wonder how long it will be before to many people are returning last seasons clothing because it is last season and they have to change the policy. I have a pair of slacks hanging in my closet with there tags still attached I purchases last spring and they never fit right. Maybe I should return them but at this point I don't think I would feel right about it. I did lose a receipt once and wanted to return some tees and they had no problem finding the information from my credit card information.

You do have to use there Kohls credit card to do this so it is another way to promote why you need there card.

you do not need a kohl's charge - you need any charge

i don't know if they can do this yet, but i think target and jcp can - if you paid with a check, they can take a blank check of yours, scan it and find that

macy's was the first to do that around here as i remember - maybe it was jcp that did it last, not kohl's

maybe it was target first...but it's such a convenient thing

they don't really have your number in the computer..

TootsieHel­lo1290364168.653348 PostsRegistered 10/4/2010
On 11/21/2010 CocoaMolly said:

I'm sure you still have to be within their 90-day return policy to return with no receipt. When they look up when you purchased the item, they will see it is way beyond the return policy time and not allow the return. Personally, I would be too embarrassed to try and return something beyond the 90-day return policy unless the product was defective. Lulu2, I'm with you on this one....

no you don't - the will give you the current price, which may not be much, but please - at target you can't return it after 90 days

it's a no brainer for them - i returned something recently, and bought more stuff!

also, you have to walk through the store and see all the nice new stuff

i do like that you go to one counter and can return there - even when the lines get long, they move fast

unlike when you're trying to buy something at the front, and people are returning items and it gets tedious in other stores

they've been doing this a long time, they just haven't advertised it much - other stores are getting nuts about returns, so this, along with kohls cash, is great

i don't use my kohls charge anymore, but i always use one card for the items i get there, and it's easy peasy

TootsieHel­lo1290364577.173348 PostsRegistered 10/4/2010
On 11/21/2010 run4life said:

Im so glad someone asked this question. Ive heard the commercials too and wondered. I bought a pair of the Levis 512 slimming jeans many months ago, took the tags off, threw away the receipt, and told myself I would love them as they were very highly rated on the boards. They just werent right for me, more of a "mom" type very high waisted jean and I despise them every time I look at them and never wore them! Was going to donate them but I will try and take them back. What a policy. Good to know. Runs.

you are NOT abusing the policy - this is what it's meant for - so you come back to their store and buy new stuff

because of the policy, i now shop there more often for everyday things than other stores

new york and co used to have a policy of wanting you to be happy no matter what and being able to return any time - they changed to 2 months a few years and i get a lot less stuff there, especially if i am ''iffy'

the people who abuse the policy are those who return used clothing - that's sick - i don't mean worn once and it doesn't really work and you want to buy more stuff and don't abuse the policy - i have been in back of people who wore clothing and just wanted new stuff

i don't know what they do with those people, the serial returners -but they don't put that stuff back in the store, of course

i have never returned anything worn, and if it's several months old, i usually bought it for a low price and it probably is still a low price - and often i just wasn't able to get to the store

but that's why i go there, and won't go to another store if i know i might not be able to get there

you do not even need the tag - if it looks like it hasn't been worn, they may treat it as that, but every clothing piece has a size label on it - that's usually the one they check - if you flip the label to the other side, you will see an item number on it (i do this for the q, too, especially now they don't have the tags) - that's how they can identify it and return it

sauce621290388720.223366 PostsRegistered 12/10/2006

Hi, OP here. So, I went and returned my items. (By the way, one had holes in it after one washing and the other had never been worn.) It was a bit of a hassle, since one didn't show up on my card and the other did not have the number sewn in where it should be, but they gave me a merchandise credit which was fine. I will definitely hold onto my receipts better in the future. More importantly for them, I will keep shopping there. Everyone has been really nice. (It is a newer store to our area.) And I am satisfied!

CouponQueen1290389782.0234307 PostsRegistered 10/21/2010

There is no way I would have the nerve to go to a store and return an item that I had for six to eight months and return it after I heard they had a liberal return policy especially if it had holes in it "after one washing." I would of taken it back after the washing not waited that long.

I can see this policy being abused and not lasting long with people doing that. Everybody will lose because of a few taking advantage.

I agree that if you took it back within the normal 90-day return period it would be a non issue but to actually keep them six to eight months is another story.

JustJazzmom1290390323.5327802 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007My garden, of course!!

I had bought an alarm clock /CD player for my son for his birthday one year. The CD player part of the machine broke and since I had the receipt still, (over 8 months later) I took it back and got a full refund.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼

schnauzerm­om1290390323.8233 PostsRegistered 10/17/2007

Last xmas i exchanged a dress my grandmother bought for my daughter. I had no receipt, and i coudn't ask my grandmother because I didn't want to hurt her feelings. Long story short, they took the dress back with no questions and gave me store credit. IDK if they'd issue cash back if you have no proof of purchase, but I was more than satisfied with the credit.

Hyacinth B­ucket1290390759.8373324 PostsRegistered 3/26/2009no where

I worked at Kohl's. There should be a tag sewn into the seam with an item # on it. If you don't have the receipt, this should work.

It is by suffering that human beings become angels~~Victor Hugo

Hyacinth B­ucket1290390760.9073324 PostsRegistered 3/26/2009no where

oops

It is by suffering that human beings become angels~~Victor Hugo

Page 1 of 2