Better Than Black Friday
144 Members and 15555 Guests Online

Fashion Talk

Need Suggestions on how to rid odor in black denim.

Started 1262825303 in Fashion Talk | Last reply 1262902844 by 10sluvr
Black denim always has a strong chemical odor - has anyone found a method to get rid of the odor?

Page 1 of 1
imaclothes­hog126282688022306 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
You know I think this is more of a problem with the manufacturer of the denim, and I don't think there is a fix for it unfortunately.
I have found that in particular, any black denim from QVC just has a horrible petroleum smell and no matter how much you wash it or what you do to it, it still stinks to the high heaven and I can't wear it.
I have purchased black denim pieces out in the mall and have black denim jeans from JJill, and other stores and I have never had a problem with odor like I have with the QVC black denim.
IMO QVC black denim is just inferior quality.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

colson12628270877438 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast
I purchase quite a few pairs of Lee Jeans black denim, and never had an odor issue even once. Sometimes items come from the Q seem funny smelling but a normal laundry seems to do the trick. If it doesn't for you, I would send it right back!

Rock_chick12628275598749 PostsRegistered 10/29/2007Central Texas
I never could get that smell out of my Lee Riders and now I can smell that smell a mile away. Last time I smelled it in a purse!
--
With hope and heart, Kathleen
--
Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~ Jesse Jackson

With hope and heart, Kathleen ♥ ♥ ♥
Joy is a net of love in which you can catch souls. ~ Mother Teresa

namealread­ytaken12628281157748 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
It's from black dye. Ever been near a dye house where they dye denim black and incidentally, many manufacturers (at one time, I don't know now, because I am not in textile) bought fabric from the same company and their dyes house were synonymous.
I would hear some lady say "My so&so jeans don't smell..." "My so&so jean do smell."
I always laughed because I knew they both came from the same dye house and after they had washed them a few times, they would quit smelling. Alas, about the time the black dye faded away. ;-)
P.S. Have you tried vinegar?
--
Edited by namealreadytaken at 01/06/2010 4:35 PM PST

Last edited on 1/6/2010

happy hous­ewife126282860732637 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
> You know I think this is more of a problem with the
> manufacturer of the denim, and I don't think there is
> a fix for it unfortunately.
> I have found that in particular, any black denim from
> QVC just has a horrible petroleum smell and no matter
> how much you wash it or what you do to it, it still
> stinks to the high heaven and I can't wear it.
>
> I have purchased black denim pieces out in the mall
> and have black denim jeans from JJill, and other
> stores and I have never had a problem with odor like
> I have with the QVC black denim.
>
> IMO QVC black denim is just inferior quality.
The ones from the Q also fade so quickly and just look old fast. I never buy black jeans from them anymore.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

kmcshopper12628327586305 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007
ziggy65- I had the same problem awhile back with a black denim sports savvy outfit I bought, thank goodness it was machine washable. That did the trick.

j-oh1262833051325 PostsRegistered 4/29/2008
This is a new one...never heard of this problem before, but I fall back to my old baking soda standby. I've used this for MANY odor issues (including pet bedding, etc.)
Maybe put them in a bag w/baking soda for a while?
Another old remedy..and honestly, it worked for me....
newspapers. When we bought this old farmhouse we have a built in (original to the house) floor to ceiling cabinet & a couple of the shelves smelled old & musty...I tried everything. Then an old timer told me to crumple newspapers, leave them in the cabinet for a few days with the door shut.
I cleaned w/baking soda & water & the smell was gone!

imaclothes­hog126284008922306 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
>
> The ones from the Q also fade so quickly and just
> look old fast. I never buy black jeans from them
> anymore.
I would agree 100%. The D&Co. tall modern waist jeans I tried, were a disaster. Not only were they smelly, but they faded horribly even with me washing them in Cheer for Darks liquid. I washed them perhaps 5-6 times and they were so faded they almost looked grey. I donated them. Really unhappy with those, I will not purchase QVC black denim again either.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

Sister Gol­den Hair126284037214610 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008
You can use ammonia to get rid of different odors. What I don't know if it would hurt the color.
--
Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

StyleIcon12628954703435 PostsRegistered 4/7/2006
Makes alot of sense it is the black dye. I used to buy black denim from QVC but no more. The smell was terrible. All the dye that comes out in the wash as well was alot and my jeans faded quickly. It is the cheap dye they use. I get mine from the mall now.

10sluvr12629028442060 PostsRegistered 12/17/2006
i heard adding white vinegar to wash water, will get out smells. maybe worth trying.

Page 1 of 1